PDA

View Full Version : Is this fair????

Paranoid Rattlesnake
04-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Ian Thorpe looks set to compete in the 400m freestyle at the Olympics after team-mate Craig Stevens pulled out.

The Australian's hopes of defending his crown appeared to vanish when he was disqualified in the national trials.

But Stevens, who took the second spot behind Grant Hackett, has bowed to pressure to withdraw, handing his place to the Olympic and world 400m champion.

"The decision I've made is to stand aside in the hope that I'll see Ian swim in the final," said Stevens.

He added: "The decision that's been made has come from the heart." The 23-year-old Stevens, a close friend of Thorpe's, made his announcement on Monday in an interview with Australia's Channel Seven reportedly worth about £25,000.

He continued: "I was just hoping to qualify for one event at the Olympic Games so three was something I didn't expect.

"This has been a difficult decision...and there's been a lot of stress and a lot of assumptions.

"But he [Thorpe] said to me, 'it's up to you, it's your choice, I'll support you whatever you do'.

"He's not the sort of person who would put pressure on anyone." Neither Australian swimming chiefs nor Thorpe, who has not been beaten in the event for seven years, made an immediate comment though the swimmer was expected to confirm his participation on Tuesday.

Thorpe, 21, slipped off the blocks and fell in the water while waiting for his heat to start in March trials, earning him a mandatory disqualification.

His appeal, on the grounds that he lost his balance when he reacted to a noise in the crowd, was rejected and Hackett and Stevens claimed the qualifying spots, well outside Thorpe's world record.

Despite his disqualification, Thorpe was deemed by Australian Swimming to be the next best-placed competitor should a berth in the 400m become available.

Hackett said: "I'd love to race Ian and of course I'd like to have the opportunity to race him at the Olympics more than anything.

"Ian being the number-one man in this event and defending world champion and world record holder, the opportunity to try and beat him at this level, of course you would want to have that."

Thorpe has also qualified for August's Olympics in the 100m and 200m freestyle and three relays. Stevens will compete in the 1500m freestyle and the 4x200m relay in Athens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should stevens give into the pressure??? I mean whats the point in holding qualifying trials if the people who actually win them don't get to qualify????

Thorpes the best swimmer out their but if he got disqualified then so be it. I think it's disgraceful really and verges on bringing the sport into disrepute.<!-- E BO -->

Rob
04-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Personally I think it's a joke.

Then again, I think defending Olympic gold medalists should have wild card entries.