PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Lawler's push?

Dorkchop
02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
I like it. I just hope this isn't WWE's way to bury Miz as champ. I'm actually really looking forward to their match this Sunday. Lawler can work the crowd while Miz can do all the athletic stuff. I hope they get enough time to tell a story.

Will it end with Lawler getting a match a Mania? Against who? The only person i can think of is Alex Riley with Cole managing, but not too many people will be into that.

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm into it, but I think it's more because of The Miz than Lawler. I'm not saying that because I'm a Miz mark, but his title reign has an added element to it...pretty much anybody COULD beat him on any given night. Having The Miz as champ makes every single person on the roster look like a potential challenger, so his matches will keep people guessing.

If Orton or Cena had a title match against Lawler, we wouldn't even be thinking twice about the winner, ya know?

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I'd be more into it if it was a heel like Randy Orton would could snap at any time and Punt Lawler into oblivion. I don't think the Miz is the kind of wrestler would could give jeopardy to Lawler's career like that. Lawler should have some sort of fear like that wrestling at his age.

I just don't want Miz looking like an idiot at this stage of his career. He's the fastest rising star on Raw and he needs to be fighting the top guys in the WWE at this point. He's already placated to the legends by dropping the US title to Bret Hart which shouldn't have been allowed to happen either.

It's time for the WWE to put the push to the Miz as the WWE champion all the way to WrestleMania. Hell he might even deserve to win the title match at WrestleMania at this point. Should Cena win the WWE title at WrestleMania again? Really should he? Really? Hell no. Cena winning does nothing for the WWE except bore us all to tears.

Snowden
02-15-2011, 09:59 PM
See, I don't see Miz as looking like an idiot at all. Lawler is clearly being portrayed as a wily veteran, who makes up for his age with experience and cunning. He's the perfect foil for a guy like the Miz, whose a brash, young up and comer who thinks he's god's gift to the WWE, and has people like Cole puffing up his ego at every turn.

As ABT said, Miz looks human as a champion...a guy who wins his matches, yes, but not a dominant force. His character SHOULDN'T be in that position, and realistically, he SHOULD be getting outsmarted by guys like King who have 30+ years on the guy. In all honesty, no one believes Lawler will actually walk out the champion, but he provides a compelling opponent for Miz, and a great way to develop his character.

In short, I like Lawler's push, but more for what he's doing for Miz by being pushed.

MON$TER ENERGY
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
i think its good hes getting a push, it must suck being behind a table like most of the year

Xero
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Lawler has been portrayed as a joke and a commentator for over a decade. A part of he wants to hate it for this reason, but I can't. It's actually working well enough that it has me guessing as to the finish, and he's been built up nicely.

Swish
02-16-2011, 12:20 AM
i think its good hes getting a push, it must suck being behind a table like most of this year

What do you mean most of the year? Where have you been hiding?
He has been behind this table for over 10 years.

Gass
02-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I'd enjoy the Lawler push more if they moved him off commentary until this storyline is over.

Matthews does a better job right now ringside than Lawler anyway. Lawler bores me.

Give the Lawler/Miz feud a few in-ring segments. Something just seems "missing" to me; I haven't been buying the build up to the feud with Jerry at the desk. No time for the whole thing to evolve.

Savio
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I would like to see the push fade out after the PPV. I'd like to see Miz/Cole vs Bryan/Lawler at Mania. they would obviously have to get the title off Miz soon though

bigslimjj
02-16-2011, 01:22 PM
I would like to see the push fade out after the PPV. I'd like to see Miz/Cole vs Bryan/Lawler at Mania. they would obviously have to get the title off Miz soon thoughThat's where the whole thing is going.But A-RI will be with Cole,and they might even make it a U.S. title match where if Lawler gets pinned,or cole pins someone...A-RI is the U.S. champ. That's how I'd book it.

glanville6
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
He deserves it. Its so sad his mom died at this time in his career. Its always sad, but at age 61 of all times a week before being a main part of a pay per view.

jskinnyg
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I think it is a good feud and that Lawler & The Miz have done nice by it... I am guessing about the ending, but I don't see Lawler beating him...

Jordan
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I support it for many reasons. One, why should the ungrateful Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan get huge send off and Jerry Lawler not? Granted the level of success is vastly different. However Jerry The King Lawler is one of the most influential talents in Wrestling history. He came up with a lot of promotional techniques that Vince borrowed and uses to this day. Basically Jerry Lawler brought a lot of the entertainment aspect to sports entertainment. Aside from that, he is a classic wrestler with many great feuds and battles that may not have been globally or even nationally broadcast, but to the people he was exposed to, he was the king of wrestling.

Now the past 15 or so years he has been one of the voices of WWE programming and has become a huge part of all of our lives. This AND he can still wrestle, and put on a damn good old school type wrestling match.

All of these elements together make him one of the most over guys available as well as others have noted, an interesting contender for The Miz as World Champion...

I want him to get a match on Wrestlemania, I would be sceptical if it were a World Title match and he walked in as the champ, but I would be open to it.

whiteyford
02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Wasnt one of the rumoured plans Lawler v Riley, if King won he got 5mins with Cole? Something like that could work, even if he gets the 5mins the next night on Raw.

Anybody Thrilla
02-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Wasnt one of the rumoured plans Lawler v Riley, if King won he got 5mins with Cole? Something like that could work, even if he gets the 5mins the next night on Raw.

This actually sounds pretty good.

Savio
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Wasnt one of the rumoured plans Lawler v Riley, if King won he got 5mins with Cole? Something like that could work, even if he gets the 5mins the next night on Raw.I would only want to see that if Riley wins.

Jordan
02-16-2011, 04:27 PM

That's a great idea. I'd much rather see King vs Riley than King vs Cole, that would be horrid. King beating Cole for five minutes is a great idea though. It's a got a slight feeling of Lawler vs Kaufman.

itsmeJD
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
What do you mean most of the year? Where have you been hiding?
He has been behind this table for over 10 years.

While commentating has been his position with WWE, I believe Monster Energy was referring to the fact that Lawler occasionally wrestles for the WWE as well, hence, MOST of the year as opposed to ALL of the year. You should work on your reading comprehension.

Majunior
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I actually have found the Lawler push and his feud with Miz (so far) to be one of the best written segments the WWE has had in a very long time. I know it's entirely possible for them to still screw the pooch on this angle, but thus far I'm actually quite pleased.

I think beyond my personal opinion on the angle, by and large Snowden covered the vast majority of my points already.

Seth82
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I like it

Lawler was a helluva great wrestler in the 70's and 80's

I would love to see him have a short run with the belt

Swish
02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
While commentating has been his position with WWE, I believe Monster Energy was referring to the fact that Lawler occasionally wrestles for the WWE as well, hence, MOST of the year as opposed to ALL of the year. You should work on your reading comprehension.

How am I talking shit, he needs to be more clear when writing.

Tazz Dan
02-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Did he say you were 'talking shit'?

Swish
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Did he say you were 'talking shit'?

Yeah he did read my reputation