PDA

View Full Version : lol NXT

Evil Vito
02-22-2011, 11:14 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Derrick Bateman got eliminated tonight, setting up Brodus Clay vs. JOHNNY CURTIS in the finals. Curtis making it is absolutely mind-boggling. Not only have they booked him weakly (3-6 in matches), but he has no charisma to speak of. He's a decent hand in the ring, but not markedly better than Bateman (who shits all over Curtis in the promo department).

The reward is a Tag Title match with your Pro, the Tag Titles are held by heels, and Clay's Pro, Alberto Del Rio, isn't gonna be lowered to Tag Title level and hasn't even appeared on NXT since winning the Rumble. If Clay did win they'd probably team him with Ricardo Rodriguez, which would just turn the entire stipulation into a joke. So yeah, seems fairly likely that Curtis is going to win. Bryan and Bateman had amazing chemistry in their segments and were easily the best choice for a Tag Title angle. Now it just seems like they only wanted to find something for R-Truth to do.

The only thing I can think of is maybe fan voting actually DOES matter in this show. I mean, everybody knew Kaval would win the fan vote in Season 2 and whaddya know - WWE did nothing with him. Kaitlyn wins Season 3 based on her being the hottest, but since she legimitately hasn't learned to wrestle yet, WWE have done nothing with her. Maybe WWE actually are listening to the fans - and if so, this Curtis result should discourage them from that.</font>

Gertner
02-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Daniel Bryan is a fucking boring vanilla midget, so anything than means less of him on my tv is good.

Brodus Clay is the man by the way.

BigCrippyZ
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
NXT is still going on? I must've stopped caring and noticing, since even the first season absolutely sucked. With the exception of the "pros" interacting, I was always bored out of my fucking skull watching the lame ass, boring "rookies" with no character development or backstory try to "win" a WWE "contract".

Corndad
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Brodus should win this. You hit the nail on the head with Bryan and Bateman setting up to be perfect partners for the Tag angle so kinda surprised he went tonight.

This may be the last NXT season with Tough Enough coming up soon but at least got the whole Nexus angle and a few guys like Barrett and Bryan out of it.

Providence Peep
02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, Derrick (no relation to Jason) Bateman was good, and I'm sure we'll see him again at some point. But why hate on Johnny Curtis? He's got a lot to learn, yeah, like most young guys, but he brings decent skill to the mic and he's got a natural confidence and presence about him. The problem is, Curtis is another classic case of "WWE needs to wake the fuck up."

I don't care how good of a face this guy was against Mason Ryan in FCW - he's a much better heel than a face. He should have never been brought up as a face to begin with, especially when Bateman was already owning that shit. It just boggles my mind how WWE makes these decisions. I hope if Curtis does win, they catch on soon and put him where he belongs in the heel role.

Mr. Nerfect
02-23-2011, 05:15 AM
I really enjoy Johnny Curtis. Right from the start, he's been my favourite NXT rookie, so I'm not really going to critique the guy. I think he's by far the best worker in this competition, and he's not bad on the mic. His charisma is quieter than that of Bateman's, but we're in an era of scripted promos. Curtis will thrive just fine in the WWE.

Also, keep in mind that this is the WWE -- shit is staged here. Derrick Bateman is going to get over based on being a pure force of entertainment. Brodus Clay is going to get over by being a bad-ass enforcer for Alberto Del Rio. Johnny Curtis is going to need the most help, so the NXT 4 win going to him helps him greatly.

I can't see the WWE derailing the The Corre's momentum anymore, so I don't see Truth & Curtis as Tag Champs, but I could see Curtis turning on Truth because "he wasn't there for him, and doesn't deserve to benefit with Curtis." Perhaps JC could even end up as a fifth member of The Corre on SmackDown!? Weirder shit has happened.

whiteyford
02-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Derrick Bateman is going to get over based on being a pure force of entertainment. Brodus Clay is going to get over by being a bad-ass enforcer for Alberto Del Rio. Johnny Curtis is going to need the most help, so the NXT 4 win going to him helps him greatly.

Curtis seems to be the most solid overall out of this season but he doesnt instantly stand out compared to the others, he needs the win the most. Brodus i can see being used pretty quickly as soon as the shows over anyway.

Nicky Fives
02-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Brodus is the best of the season by far.....

Evil Vito
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Like I said, I really wish I could get behind Curtis but his promos just seem cringe-worthy and bland. He'll have some good matches but unless he finds some charisma ASAP I don't see him being used much on WWE television - which would make it 3 out of 4 NXT winners to suffer the same fate.

Most of the physical challenges appear to be legit and last night's was practically impossible to rig. So that means if WWE want certain guys to win they need to fix the talking challenges. I remember one time they clearly wanted Curtis to win so instead of cutting a promo like everybody else they just had him shamelessly suck up to the hometown football team to guarantee the best reaction and the win. At least Bateman, Clay, or anybody else could have probably gotten the crowd to care about them by cutting an actual promo, WWE don't seem to have quite as much faith in Curtis' mic skills.</font>

Evil Vito
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I'm interested in seeing if they go through with NXT Season 5 - there were whispers that it would involve sons of former wrestlers with their dads serving as their mentor.

Assuming they go with 6 again - I'd have to guess they'd bring in:

Richie Steamboat (said to be very good plus Steamboat works with WWE)
Brett DiBiase (ditto, his dad working for WWE already helps his cause)
Bo Rotundo (ditto)
Wes Brisco (ditto)
Donny Marlow (Haku's son - he's been in development for quite some time)

One spot left. Roman Leakee is Sika's son and Buck Dixon is Henry Godwinn's son so it could be one of those. There's also Tito Colon, who technically isn't Carlos Colon's son but they could always make shit up or have Primo as his mentor.</font>

Mr. Nerfect
02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't do that family shit for NXT 5, but it seems like something the WWE would do. I'd rather just see them take the actual best performers out of FCW for a show.

Mr. Nerfect
02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Here is the cast I would go with for next season of NXT, as smarky as it seems:

1. Abraham Washington with Booker T as a Pro
2. Bo Rotundo with CM Punk as a Pro
3. Brett DiBiase with Ted DiBiase as a Pro
4. Jinder Mahal with The Great Khali & Ranjin Singh as Pros
5. Peter Orlov with William Regal as a Pro
6. Richie Steamboat with Kofi Kingston as a Pro
7. Seth Rollins with Wade Barrett as a Pro
8. Xavier Woods with Rey Mysterio as a Pro

* Abraham Washington & Booker T are essentially a comedy duo, but of course Booker carries credibility. Washington's story is that he's the old talk show host from ECW trying his hand at in-ring competition. He's essentially playing a charismatic heel, that might get some fan support eventually from the fans for his outgoing personality.

* Bo Rotundo is requested as a rookie by CM Punk personally, as part of a plan to get at Randy Orton. Bo is the younger brother of Husky Harris, and Punk is trying to train him up and fuel his rage against Orton for punting his brother. The rest of the Nexus can fill in for Punk on NXT when Punk has a big week.

* Brett DiBiase is back from injury, but I'd have his brother reveal that he is sticking around to coach his brother. Tension builds between them when Maryse realises that Brett is the better of the two.

* Jinder Mahal and The Great Khali aren't just paired together because they are Indian, but because Ranjin Singh requests it. His dream is to take the priviledged and talented Jinder Mahal and team him with his brother, the spectacle, and make some money. Mahal and Khali don't see eye-to-eye, but Singh sees dollar signs in the arrangement.

* Peter Orlov's gimmick is that he fought on the streets growing up. It's very similar to William Regal's story. The idea of these two working together is pretty exciting, too. As a team, these two could be vicious. Orlov doesn't play your usual "Pro-Russian" heel, but rather a more three-dimension character. Yeah, he's from Russia, but he's plied his craft all over the world and speaks all sorts of languages. He calls himself a true "International Superstar."

* Richie Steamboat gets Kofi Kingston as a Pro, and Kofi talks about how much he respects Richie's father, but has some reluctance because his last Pro, Michael McGillicutty, joined the Nexus. As such, there is some quiet tension between Steamboat and Kingston, as Richie tries to prove to the Intercontinental Champion that he can be trusted.

* Seth Rollins gets Wade Barrett as a Pro. This would be pretty interesting, as it would be Barrett returning to the competition that introduced us to him. Barrett's promo skills and quick wit would suit him well on NXT. Rollins would work well with just about everyone on the show, and the idea of Rollins potentially joining The Corre is intriguing.

* Xavier Woods is a damn fine worker, with natural energy, and could be the dark horse to win the entire thing. Working with Rey Mysterio would pretty much seal that. Mysterio could get some attention for the show, and Woods teaming with him is going to get him instantly over. You could even have Woods enter wearing his own mask, which he removes to compete. Merch sales.

Savio
02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
no more NXT please not atleast until tough enough is over.

Emperor Smeat
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Only reasoning I could see with Curtis lasting till the finale is due to him and Clay having some sort of mini-feud with each other since both of them either trash talk or try to sneak attack each other. Of the three, Bateman was more of the comedic wrestler and didn't have anyone to feud with besides Del Rio most of the time.

Bateman also ended up getting DQed a lot during the competitions the last few weeks than others so he sort of hurt his chance of being a lock for the finale. The immunity challenges ended up changing the structure of eliminations for NXT.

Evil Vito
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Knew it. Curtis wins. Still feels like he won mainly due to Truth having nothing to do - especially since Brodus cut a promo afterwards that was better than 90% of promos we've heard in the past year.

Whatever, Curtis and Truth will probably lose their match. But more importantly, if Brodus isn't on the main roster ASAP, somebody royally fucked up.</font>

VSG
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Ya Brodos was responsible for making sure we get a good finale, and not one with random fights like Season 1 and 2.

Evil Vito
03-02-2011, 12:59 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Bateman and Brodus will have jobs on the main roster, I have no doubt about it.

As for Curtis - I unfortunately can't see him lasting too long. The "nice guy midcard babyface" spot doesn't tend to lead to longevity. I'd have to guess he and Truth get a brief Tag Title run (the belts mean nothing anyway). Then they split. Curtis then undergoes an ill-advised Ricky Ortiz-esque heel run before being either sent back down or released.</font>

Mr. Nerfect
03-02-2011, 04:11 AM
I don't think so. I'm going to get behind Curtis. He has a good look, good ring skills, decent promo skills, experience and it's obvious someone likes him. I'm thinking Curtis & Truth will win the Tag Team Titles or Curtis will turn on Truth in the future. Either way, I think people are too down on the man.

Personally, I'd go the heel Curtis route. Do it at WrestleMania. I've always believed that every title should be on the line at Mania (or close to it), so for the sake of purity, I'd like to see Justin Gabriel & Heath Slater defend the titles. R-Truth & Johnny Curtis can have their title shot there, which can also be used to promote how important NXT can be for a guy. Truth & Curtis challenge, and during the match, Truth and Slater knock each other down. Curtis takes the opportunity to go to the top rope, and then soars off with his Flying Leg Drop...nailing his mentor and tag team partner, R-Truth. Curtis storms out, as Slater hits Sweetness and then tags in Gabriel who gets the win with the 450 Splash.

You then have two different routes you can take with heel Curtis:

1. Curtis joins The Corre as a fifth member. Many people may not think they need that member, but it'd be good heat for Curtis, allow him to travel around with a pack, and just adds more muscle to the group. Curtis hitting the Flying Leg Drop before Gabriel hits the 450 Splash seems pretty natural.

2. Curtis doesn't join The Corre, but instead reveals on RAW that R-Truth didn't win NXT, Johnny Curtis won NXT, and he did it with a "Pro" who didn't show up half the time. He could even give himself a nickname like "Renegade" Johnny Curtis, and claim that he is only looking out for himself now. Cue a feud which hopefully Curtis wins, and hopefully allows Curtis to become an effective heel mid-carder.

XCaliber
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
He seems like a genuinely nice guy but I hope they keep him of the damn mic to me that is his clearest weakness he acted goofy like Derek Bateman but his delivery was awful so putting him in a faction may be the way to go at least for now anyway other than that I believe he has the tools to be somewhat successful.

Volare
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I put this in the 100k thread but I forgot we had this thread too.

Front page.

Season four NXT rookie Derrick Bateman posted the following on his twitter…

Heading to Birmingham to get my knee scoped. “It ain’t ballet.”

I'm thinking that's why he lost.

Rollermacka
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I think this NXT season 4 has just as much as season 1. Season 2 was really forgettable minus a couple of guys (why Kaval got burried and the only one that has been released is beyond me), I had no intention of watching 3, but 4 had plenty of guys who had been in FCW for a long time and could easily had been apart of the WWE Roster without the show. Brodus is obviously a monster heel, Bateman and Curtis have the look/ chrisma to be singles, didnt really care for Byron or Jacob Novak's "The Brian Kendrick" imitation (although I kinda liked it in FCW when Jacob and Jinder Mahal were Byron's backup) and Connor O'Brian kinda intrested me and would possibily be a good adition with a tag partner (kinda be heel "rats"/ take cheap shots)

Evil Vito
03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
<font color=goldenrod>There are whispers that NXT Season 5 will be a "Second Chance" season featuring guys who lost in their first go-around.

Names being mentioned include Lucky Cannon, Titus O'Neil, Conor O'Brian, Byron Saxton, and Darren Young. Young makes absolutely no sense since he's been on the Raw roster since the Nexus. If he's in you may as well re-debut Michael Tarver through NXT also.

If they go back to 8 participants, Percy Watson and Alex Riley (selling his 'fired' angle from Raw) seem like good picks to be in as well.</font>

XCaliber
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
<font color=goldenrod>There are whispers that NXT Season 5 will be a "Second Chance" season featuring guys who lost in their first go-around.

Names being mentioned include Lucky Cannon, Titus O'Neil, Conor O'Brian, Byron Saxton, and Darren Young.

Honestly the first two don't stand a chance and should have been released but maybe that's being done intentionally to easily push somebody else.

VSG
03-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I would like that, I will be there live for Smackdown tapings next week and this will be better than a random 6 person NXT.

Emperor Smeat
03-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Names being mentioned include Lucky Cannon, Titus O'Neil, Conor O'Brian, Byron Saxton, and Darren Young. Young makes absolutely no sense since he's been on the Raw roster since the Nexus. If he's in you may as well re-debut Michael Tarver through NXT also.

If they go back to 8 participants, Percy Watson and Alex Riley (selling his 'fired' angle from Raw) seem like good picks to be in as well.</font>

That could explain a lot why there was no special revealing of the contestants for season 5 unlike how they revealed them in previous seasons.

I didn't even realize or pay attention that there would be a 5th season until Todd Grisham mentioned it as the very last sentence during season 4's finale.