PDA

View Full Version : Failed wrestlers that WWE kept trying to push

Grablot
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
What is the longest WWE tried to push someone only have them fail?

The first that comes to mind to me is Billy Gunn.

He was great in New Age Outlaws but only cause of Road Dogg.

They tried to keep pushing him with different angles but he always fell flat.

Jura
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I was a fan of Mr. Ass but that was the only time I liked him.

Sycophant
03-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Mr. Kennedy comes to mind. They kept pushing him and he either got injured or never quite got to where they wanted him to go.

DrCrawford
03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
R-truth to a degree

XCaliber
03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Ken Shamrock

Fox
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Big Bossman. He never deserved to be facing The Undertaker at WrestleMania XV, hanging scenario or not, and he should've been the last person in line to feud with the Big Show when he won his first WWF Championship. Dude sucked and was mid-card at best.

Jerry Lawler. I've hated each and every one of his feuds (the one with The Miz was all right, but only because it was The Miz and because of that awesome TLC match). I still believe he had a huge part in destroying the legitimacy of Tazz when they had their bullshit feud.

Bobby Lashley. Wanted to make a new, bigger, blacker Brock Lesnar and failed miserably. His his teeny voice and lack of real in-ring talent, Lashley was never going to be the intense monster that Lesnar was. It's no wonder he left.

Jack Swagger. Stupid name just from the get go. Sounds like a pirate. His World Title run was a sham and if anything it brought down the legitimacy of the big gold belt to like US Title levels. The idea of creating a new Kurt Angle is retarded anyways - you can NEVER replace Angle, and this frat-boy looking jackass certainly wasn't the person to do it.

VSG
03-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Fox, I almost neg-repped you for hatin' on Jack Swagger there.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Chris Masters.

XCaliber
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Have to agree with Swagger but he didn't deserve the push he had in the first place and also Matt Hardy but that one was fine by me heh.

Grablot
03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Fox, I almost neg-repped you for hatin' on Bossman there.

Bossman was awesome. RIP. Just the name, Bossman is amazing.

Jordan
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Bossman was a great heel, he was just feuding with the wrong champion in Big Show. It was kinda like two negatives colliding, and it wasn't a draw at all. Bossman was at his height against Hulk Hogan in a cage match on Saturday Night's Main Event, he was very over as a baby face at one point as well. I think he could have taken the title in the early 90's as a transitional champion but it's probably good that he didn't.

You mention Billy Gunn, it could have been interesting to kept Road Dogg with him as a manager that helped him win all the time, if he would have gotten the gold. A heel Billy Gunn and Road Dogg feuding with a baby face Triple H after a DX split could have been great.

Paul Heyman
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I see your suggestions and I Raise you a Mark Henry.

Jordan
03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Henry is gettin over now buddy. He gets huge pops. His music has to play a BIG part in that. SOMEBODIES GONNA GET THEY ASS WHIPPED , SOMEBODIES GONNA GET THEY WHIG SPLIT

Bad ass.

Juan
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZcXSKAdB0sc/TD-8rynVXaI/AAAAAAAAASs/K3rGCe6zNws/s1600/lexluger.jpg

Jordan
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Interesting that Luger was a draw in WCW but not in WWF.

XCaliber
03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Also i'd have to mention the British Bulldog maybe not consistantly but they tried to push him on several occasions but to no avail.

BigDaddyCool
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't care for Swagger.

VSG
03-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Well then soon one of your socks die, and you don't know which one.

Hanso Amore
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Tank Abbott

Nicky Fives
03-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Bobby Lashley. Wanted to make a new, bigger, blacker Brock Lesnar and failed miserably.

Best quote ever.....

Lara Emily
03-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Savio Vega

XL
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Jack Swagger. Stupid name just from the get go. Sounds like a pirate. His World Title run was a sham and if anything it brought down the legitimacy of the big gold belt to like US Title levels. The idea of creating a new Kurt Angle is retarded anyways - you can NEVER replace Angle, and this frat-boy looking jackass certainly wasn't the person to do it.
Gotta call bull on that one.

They pushed him on ECW. They gave him a "I'm gonna go the full year undefeated" gimmick, then jobbed him after a few weeks. They then gave him no build into a MitB that he won out of the blue and then they gave him the belt less than a week later.

At no point have they tried to BUILD the guy up.

Did he need to win the belt 5 days after Mania? Couldn't they have built him up after he won the briefcase?

Seems to me they pushed him cos they had to (as his name was picked "out of a hat" to win MitB) and did it too soon.

Booking totally screwed him.

He's good in the ring and on the mic IMO.

Seth82
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Marc Mero

http://www.highspots.com/images/images_125/zzzza3_meroPromo_L.gif

Beth Phoenix Fan
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Marc Mero

http://www.highspots.com/images/images_125/zzzza3_meroPromo_L.gif

:y:

also

Marvelocity > Air Bourne

MoFo
03-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Hardcore Holly
Test (sadly :( )
Shelton Benjamin

Fox
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Gotta call bull on that one.

They pushed him on ECW. They gave him a "I'm gonna go the full year undefeated" gimmick, then jobbed him after a few weeks. They then gave him no build into a MitB that he won out of the blue and then they gave him the belt less than a week later.

At no point have they tried to BUILD the guy up.

Did he need to win the belt 5 days after Mania? Couldn't they have built him up after he won the briefcase?

Seems to me they pushed him cos they had to (as his name was picked "out of a hat" to win MitB) and did it too soon.

Booking totally screwed him.

He's good in the ring and on the mic IMO.

I don't really see how the argument can be made that someone who was given the World Heavyweight Title wasn't being pushed. I won't argue that it didn't happen too soon because it most definitely did happen too soon, but that doesn't change the fact that the WWE tried to push him and it failed.

Aguakate
03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Mabel comes to mind.

He went heel, won the King of the Ring in 1995, got a title shot against Diesel, but never quite "made it".

At a time when all KOTR winners became stars (Bret, Owen, Austin, Triple H), he kinda didn't.

Sixx
03-05-2011, 04:19 AM
I agree with Swagger. I never bought the guy as main event material.

XL
03-05-2011, 04:24 AM
I don't really see how the argument can be made that someone who was given the World Heavyweight Title wasn't being pushed. I won't argue that it didn't happen too soon because it most definitely did happen too soon, but that doesn't change the fact that the WWE tried to push him and it failed.
What are you even saying there!? :p:p

The thread asks for people that WWE kept trying to push. As in, guys that repeatedly failed to get over.

Swagger was pushed once. Barely. And even then he was getting the "right reactions" (although thinking about it he was on SmackDown and they could have been edited/piped in).

For me, giving someone the title and then bumping the title matches down the card and having the champ repeatedly lose isn't that indicative of a "push". Like I said, it was as if they felt they had to push him because he won MitB.

RiX1024
03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Billy Gunn
Mabel
Hardcore Holly
Test
Mr. Kennedy
Ken Shamrock
Al Snow
A-Train
Flash Funk

Road Warrior
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Test, even though I always liked him
Jeff Jarett
X-pac
Mark Henry
Maven, At one point didn't they have him in an angle with Evolution ?

Nightwing
03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x310/The_Ultimate_Wrestling_Gallery/A%20-%20B/AhmedJohnson002.jpg

Juan
03-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Call me crazy, but Ahmed was pretty over.

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Mark Henry comes to mind. Yeah, he's getting over and finding his niche now, but how many failed "Mark Henry is destroying *such and such*!" push attempts did it take?