PDA

View Full Version : So does anyone actually blame The Rock?

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone actually think Cena has any point whatsoever, really the only thing Cena's been saying in his promos against The Rock is that he left WWE for Hollywood, is that he does most of his promos via satellite.

Let's be honest though can you blame The Rock? He's retired from wrestling pure and simple. He accomplished everything he could accomplish in wrestling and he moved on to new things. H's not a Brock Lesnar who came and went in a flash, The Rock was in the WWE from 1996-2004 that's 8 years (his last match being at Mania 20), the same as Austin (1995-2003), then when opportunity came to move on after accomplishing everything you could imagine doing in the wrestling business he took, he got out of the business with his health and life in tact. Something a lot of wrestlers never get the chance to do. Look at Ric Flair he's a living joke these days because he couldn't manage his money so he needs the business just to stay a float. Look at Bret, the business gave him a stroke for fuck sakes.

How can anyone blame The Rock for actually retiring and moving on to a new job with better pay, better health standards and better working conditions, not to mention less time away from home. He knows first hand what the business does to it's people, he's a third generation wrestler I'm sure he's witnessed plenty of wrestler's break down mentally/physically, he's seen wrestler's die at a terribly young age. The fact is The Rock is a success story in wrestling, he did it all and to boot he's not going to end up just another dead wrestler.

Sixx
03-08-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't blame him, but I do mark out everytime he comes back.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 03:06 AM
I don't blame him, but I do mark out everytime he comes back.

And that's the way it should be. Which is why I don't even buy this whole you suck because you're doing promos by satellite BS. Cena's the fucking heel in this feud, easily.

El Fangel
03-08-2011, 03:09 AM
I think the fact is, we miss him greatly. I cant remember a time where I ever hated to see him on my screen. You got Cena whom most of the old school fans despise eating up airtime. I think we all long for the days where Rock, Austin, Jericho, Benoit, HHH, Taker and Angle took up 80% if airtime.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 03:19 AM
For sure as do I, but I'm happy fro him at the same time, he doesn't owe us anything. The fact that he comes back from time to time in any shape or form should be celebrated. Again most people do but I hear from a few people how Cena has a point in some of his promos, and I just don't see any point in what he's saying, not the you left for Hollywood, nor the you do your promos via Satellite

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Cena's just bitter because Rock's movies actually get a wide theater release

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 03:32 AM
I think the main issue that Cena has with The Rock, is that The Rock continuously says that he LOVES the wrestling business....and yet he never once showed up for 7 years. Yes - The Rock has moved on and yes...The Rock doesn't owe us anything, but why completely alienate the people that made you? Why not make more frequent appearances? Why did it take The Rock seven years to come back to the WWE?

Is The Rock's schedule really that busy? Perhaps guys like me and Cena are underestimaing the time commitments of a Hollywood actor?.....or, perhaps The Rock didn't want to be associated with pro wrestling...since he figured that any ties with pro wrestling would hurt his Hollywood image. Why did Dwayne Johnson go out of his way to make sure that people weren't referring to him as 'The Rock' in Hollywood?

Maybe Cena has some valid points? By the way - Chris Jericho has also expressed similar sentiments publicly (i.e. Why can't The Rock make more appearances?).

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 03:38 AM
It didn't take him 7 years, he did periodic things from time to time (not in ring mind you). Again why do you demand retired wrestlers continuously show up? He distanced himself at a time where the product was bad and his movies were for kids. As for asking to not be referred to as The Rock in movies why wouldn't he use your real name, he's an actor playing new characters, why be The Rock playing John Smith, when he can be himself playing John Smith. It's called moving on, and just because he moved on doesn't mean he hates the business either.

And The Fans didn't make The Rock, The Rock made The Rock.

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 03:49 AM
The ability to let go and move on does not equal being ungrateful or unappreciative. Rock can love the fans all he wants in his own way, but he left wrestling. Acting is/was his job, why should he be obligated to show up more frequently to his last job in his free time? I know I don't.

He can be grateful without having to ever show up at all. The fact he's even entertained the idea to come back speaks volumes. Acting is cake compared to wrestling, and the paycheck is a lot bigger as well. Sure his movies haven't been box office hits, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with his possible return because the jobs are still there and the money is still good. He's doing this right now out of love for the fans and anyone who complains about it not being enough is just an unappreciative twat

El Fangel
03-08-2011, 03:51 AM
I'd say Cena should give us what The Rock gave us before he says anything about what The Rock is doing now.

I completely agree with LE on this, the man gave us everything for 8 years which is more then can be said for some people. Even heel Rock was likable. The fact, as LE said that he managed to escape not only with his health but at the highest point in his career and finances set, I give him much kudos for. He didnt take unnecessary risks and he stopped BEFORE he had a career ending injury.

For anyone who has ever read his biography, you would clearly know what he wanted to do in the business and the fact that he did that and ALOT more is astounding. He drove the proverbial wagon or rode shotgun with Austin for 6 years in which time wrestling was at the height of popularity.

Simply put, he paid his dues now its time for someone else to do it and when you look at it, its nothing more the Cena admitting he is nothing close to what The Rock was.

Fignuts
03-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Gonna go to the grocery store tomorrow and help stock vegetables.

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 03:56 AM
You better do it more often than that. Not like you could possibly have better or more important shit to do than make charity appearances at your last job (assuming that was your last job?)

Fignuts
03-08-2011, 03:59 AM
FearedSanctity, is your avatar a mutant Denver Broncos logo?

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 04:03 AM
That it is. Taken from some god awful cookie maker

http://3.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/72/28/ad8788b3a76e89e8a0faba08e02ad57a.jpg

El Fangel
03-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Thats a cake dude.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Even says cake on the image lol

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Cookie, cake. Whatever, it's shit

tbh no idea why I said cookie when all the evidence for it being a cake is right there :-\

Sixx
03-08-2011, 04:12 AM
That kinda looks like Skeletor from He-Man.

James Steele
03-08-2011, 04:18 AM
It is a cookie-cake. A large oversized cookie that is especially soft and chewy and frosted like a traditional cake.

Tom Guycott
03-08-2011, 04:20 AM
On the topic: the best thing about the entire angle, aside from being based in truth, is the true drama stemming from two people who just see it their own way instead of having to shoehorn this into "face vs heel" mentality.

Off topic: that cake... wow. Looks like that one "zombie guitar player dude"* from Darkstalkers.

*Yeah, I know. Everyone only remembers Morrigan or Felicia because they have tits.

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Yeah I guess that's what I had figured what with it having no real icing at all, other than the logo and letters, and what looks like chocolate chips

James Steele
03-08-2011, 04:29 AM
That is horrible though. I hope they got a discount.

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Aaaand to slowly transition back on topic...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2469295764_d923ceef2a_z.jpg

El Fangel
03-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Seriously though, I think we all long for a Rock/HHH style feud again :(

Sixx
03-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Aaaand to slowly transition back on topic...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2469295764_d923ceef2a_z.jpg

What the fuck? Is that supposed to be John Cena?

Asmo
03-08-2011, 04:41 AM
^ My guess is its Gavyn from the future.

Anyhoo, The Rock cannot be blamed for the path he chose. Some would say he used the WWF(E) as a tool to get in to Hollywood, but then again, what could be the next big step after having done all that could possibly be done in that 8 year stint?

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 04:43 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30611184@N00/2469295764/

John Cena Cake and his biggest fan

One of my nephews wanted a John Cena cake -- again. Last year I ran out of time and just stuck a few toys on top of his cake. This year, I searched and searched for a Jonh Cena cake and found nothing. So I did this with a transfer from a caricature of him. Anyway, my nephew loved it! Whew!

Sixx
03-08-2011, 04:44 AM
I actually enjoy The Rock's movies.

I think the Walking Tall remake was good.

And I haven't seen the Tooth Fairy, which I guess is a good thing.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 04:45 AM
^ My guess is its Gavyn from the future.

Anyhoo, The Rock cannot be blamed for the path he chose. Some would say he used the WWF(E) as a tool to get in to Hollywood, but then again, what could be the next big step after having done all that could possibly be done in that 8 year stint?

That would be a valid claim had The Rock jumped to Hollywood after a year or two. Pretty sure back in 96 when he started he wasn't going just 8 more years of this till I can go to Hollywood.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 04:46 AM
On the topic: the best thing about the entire angle, aside from being based in truth, is the true drama stemming from two people who just see it their own way instead of having to shoehorn this into "face vs heel" mentality.

Off topic: that cake... wow. Looks like that one "zombie guitar player dude"* from Darkstalkers.

*Yeah, I know. Everyone only remembers Morrigan or Felicia because they have tits.

Except Cena's just flat out wrong, and he comes off looking like a prick. Who doesn't appreciate the groundwork laid by those who came before him.

Sixx
03-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Some would say he used the WWF(E) as a tool to get in to Hollywood

Which is wrong, cause come on, I'm 100% sure even The Rock didn't know he would end up in Hollywood.

FearedSanctity
03-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Yeah I thought that was an interesting part for Cena to ignore. All the things Rock accomplished outside of wrestling opened the door for all the other superstars attempts at outside fame

Sixx
03-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Cena is just bitter cause noone, except for WWE would cast him in a movie.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 04:59 AM
What's really weird about this feud is it's really exposing Cena's flaws even more then they already had been in the past.

The Rock is just eclipsing Cena in every way

Cena's not benefiting from this feud whatsoever and I think it goes back to the fact that Cena just doesn't have anything valid to say to The Rock. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he's drowning.

chrisat928
03-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Fuck Dwayne Johnson.

And John Cena is crushing him in these promos.

Both of them are saying stupid, immature shit, yet it's okay when dwayne says it? Get the fuck outta here.

And tonight, with the 'I Bring It via Satillite' shirt, Cena smashed him.

Even the fucking Miz is out promoing Dwayne.

Asmo
03-08-2011, 06:23 AM
I agree that the Rock didn't use the WWF(E) as a means to an end, and what he did opened up the road for WWE movies.

As of this moment, it appears as if the WWE needs The Rock more than the other way around - and instead of having him guest host a RAW, or appear via satellite for a single promo, they went ahead with the best idea that got everyone hooked. What would be interesting is if the seeds planted for this (Cena's earlier comments about the Rock) were a lead up to a plan that only got in motion right now, thanks to The Rock's schedule, or any other such logistical problem.

Shadrick
03-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Fuck Dwayne Johnson.

And John Cena is crushing him in these promos.

Both of them are saying stupid, immature shit, yet it's okay when dwayne says it? Get the fuck outta here.

And tonight, with the 'I Bring It via Satillite' shirt, Cena smashed him.

Even the fucking Miz is out promoing Dwayne.

Dont feed the trolls.

seapig4
03-08-2011, 06:36 AM
The Rock was raised in the wrestling business and I believe that he loves it but he wants to be able to walk when he is 60 and not be in pain. Cena's point of view in this feud is the view of a jealous cunt. Cena would love to be able to make millions of dollars by being in real studio films instead of the shit Vince puts out, but at the end of the day Cena ain't got the charisma that Rocky has.

XL
03-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the IWC. You might want to get used to these double standards.

XL
03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
What's really weird about this feud is it's really exposing Cena's flaws even more then they already had been in the past.

The Rock is just eclipsing Cena in every way

Cena's not benefiting from this feud whatsoever and I think it goes back to the fact that Cena just doesn't have anything valid to say to The Rock. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he's drowning.
And there in lies my problem with using The Rock at all.

He shouldn't be taking the spotlight off the current guys and he certainly shouldn't be making them look bad.

I don't blame Rock for leaving. All power to him. I just don't like that pretty much everyone is on his dick 24/7.

He cut a decent return promo (that was then heralded as the greatest thing in years)...well I should fucking think so too! One of the top faces of wrestling in any era, reknown for his use of the mic, who is a HOLLYWOOD actor should be able to "knock it out of the park". Especially given the material. A return promo that plays to the "smark" crowd. I mean, c'mon! You guys are buying this shit?

Cena's rebuttal to that original promo was excellent. The rhymes were funny in places and hit home on a few fair points. But, all in all, it's a wrestling storyline at the end of the day. The guy(s) doesn't even have to believe what he's/they're saying. Hell, it doesn't even need to make sense.

Honestly, you guys - especially Lara - are coming off as real marks.

[The use of the term "mark" is not meant in a derogatory way.]

XL
03-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Oh, and it's not that "Cena can't keep up with The Rock". Rock simply shouldn't be allowed to be burying the current top guy.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
It's a storyline, the things Cena is saying he most likely doesn't believe, same goes for the Rock. If they did believe it, or if Cena ACTUALLY believed what he was saying he surely would have been FAR more convincing than he was lastnite.

I don't think Rock is burying Cena or trying to bury him, the point of the Rock being involved is to add main stream interest to Miz vs Cena. Cena was given the ball last nite to knock it out of the park and I mean ACTUALLY knock it out of the park, and show some seriousness and passion, and all we got was the same cutesy bullshit.

Say what one likes about the Rock's promo from the week before, but at least he showed some fire and some anger and made it appear like he took the whole situation seriously. Then you have Cena, who rap or no rap, was the same guy with the purple shirt, saying cutesy stupid fucking things when he's trying to go word for word with the Rock. It's time for him to step up his game because the Rock is NOT burying him, but giving him ample opportunity to bring his A game.

Then you have the Miz who is actually stepping up his game. He's not as good on the mic as Cena as far as history would suggest and the fact that Cena is still Cena. But yet he's cutting the better promos and he's the only one adding proper hype to their match, because as much as a "company" man Cena is, the way he goes out there and refuses to be serious and even attempt to add any form of intensity to a Wrestlemania Main event, one would think, he plainly didn't give a fuck.

GD
03-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Why would he risk his body and health in the wrestling business when he could easily make more money in Hollywood?

It might not be the popular decision but Dwayne Johnson's career choice is fair.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
For any wrestling fan to bash the rock for going hollywood would be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I honestly don't even think it's up for debate.

XL
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Now I don't know this for sure, but, from what we hear, the WWE is pretty tight on what the guys say in their promos. You think they said "Go out there, show some intensity and sell this issue with The Rock!" and he somehow forgot between leaving gorilla and getting to the ring?

I'd bet that Cena (the guy, not the character) would just love to go out there and tear it up but he has to stick to what the writers ask of him. Sadly for us (and maybe even for him) they want him to play to the kids. Cue "cutesy bullshit".

Blue Demon
03-08-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't blame The Rock for moving on. he accomplished his goals and then some in WWE...he moved on to new goals...no problem with that.

seapig4
03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Now I don't know this for sure, but, from what we hear, the WWE is pretty tight on what the guys say in their promos. You think they said "Go out there, show some intensity and sell this issue with The Rock!" and he somehow forgot between leaving gorilla and getting to the ring?

I'd bet that Cena (the guy, not the character) would just love to go out there and tear it up but he has to stick to what the writers ask of him. Sadly for us (and maybe even for him) they want him to play to the kids. Cue "cutesy bullshit".

I read somewhere that for Rocky's return promo he didn't have a word for word script like the rest of the wrestlers have to work off these days

MIZantine Empire
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
And that's the way it should be. Which is why I don't even buy this whole you suck because you're doing promos by satellite BS. Cena's the fucking heel in this feud, easily.
cena is a top draw....with the women and children, the rock is relevant on any gender/age. its funny..alot of people i know do not know who cena is..yet everytime u mention the rock, they either do the peoples eyebrow, or drop one of his quotes. the fact that with this rock thing, it seems to me like there are alot more cena haters now. im not saying band wagon, im saying he gets alot more heat from the crowds now. cenas first rap against the rock was good..no it was great. but without a question in my mind the rock is on top so far. i cant wait for cena to pull his "via satellite" thing and then you just hear the rocks music and cena shits himself.

Supreme Olajuwon
03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
LOL @ people treating a storyline like it's real life.

Kayfabe is not dead, people.

Kane Knight
03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone actually think Cena has any point whatsoever, really the only thing Cena's been saying in his promos against The Rock is that he left WWE for Hollywood, is that he does most of his promos via satellite.

Let's be honest though can you blame The Rock? He's retired from wrestling pure and simple. He accomplished everything he could accomplish in wrestling and he moved on to new things. H's not a Brock Lesnar who came and went in a flash, The Rock was in the WWE from 1996-2004 that's 8 years (his last match being at Mania 20), the same as Austin (1995-2003), then when opportunity came to move on after accomplishing everything you could imagine doing in the wrestling business he took, he got out of the business with his health and life in tact. Something a lot of wrestlers never get the chance to do. Look at Ric Flair he's a living joke these days because he couldn't manage his money so he needs the business just to stay a float. Look at Bret, the business gave him a stroke for fuck sakes.

How can anyone blame The Rock for actually retiring and moving on to a new job with better pay, better health standards and better working conditions, not to mention less time away from home. He knows first hand what the business does to it's people, he's a third generation wrestler I'm sure he's witnessed plenty of wrestler's break down mentally/physically, he's seen wrestler's die at a terribly young age. The fact is The Rock is a success story in wrestling, he did it all and to boot he's not going to end up just another dead wrestler.

Of course, that's the retarded version of things.

The non-mentally-handicapped version involves the fact that he is claiming loyalty to the base. You cannot claim that he moved on to a better career and still try and defend his loyalty to the business.

You know, which you did, retard.

In short: stop sucking the Rock's dick.

Or don't. But don't pretend you're not being a rabid fanboy about it.

Kane Knight
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM

It's still real to me, something something something.

Fox
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't think anyone really has a problem with Rock leaving the WWE. He did accomplish a lot of things and there were opportunities for him in Hollywood, and now he's a big action star (sort of).

I think what Cena and others (kayfabe or not) have had a problem with is his attitude toward the WWE and its fans after leaving the WWE. In several interviews he said that he's put the WWE behind him and doesn't want to be associated with their product anymore. He claimed that he would never return to WWE television. He said he's moved on from the WWE and that it isn't a part of his life anymore.

That's is somewhat disrespectful to his fans. Yes, I completely understand that he needs to maintain a certain image in Hollywood in order to get certain roles, but what he's doing is putting wrestling fans below him. "I've moved on and I'm better than you" is basically what his attitude said. Even when his father was being inducted to the HOF, Rock refused to make any kind of appearance at WrestleMania a few days later, even though it would've meant the world to the fans of the WWE.

Now, he comes back and pretends like he was never gone; pretends like he never said any of the things he said, and makes empty promises like "The Rock will never leave." Except we still haven't seen him on Monday Night RAW since that promo (except for his shitty satellite promo). Cena has him on one level: Cena is there every Monday night, he comes back from serious injuries earlier than he medically should in order to entertain the fans, and while he may not pull in the ratings or the fanbase that Rock/Austin did, he IS the WWE and has been for years, and he takes great pride in being "the guy." If people really think he couldn't leave the WWE for Hollywood then they should get their brains checked, because there's definitely a spot out there for him if he were to make that decision (and not just the shitty WWE branded films either). The difference is that Rock was THE guy in the WWE and he decided to walk away (Austin only walked because of his neck). Cena is THE guy and will probably stay around until he can't wrestle anymore.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
they need to have Cena actually say shit like "I'm here every Monday Night and I come back early from injuries" or Cena plain needs to say it, and stop spinning nursery rhymes, cuz it completely underminds the angle.

Sycophant
03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
It's a storyline and an entertaining one at that. Who gives a shit who is "winning?" The Rock has always been amazing on the mic...no one will argue that. However, this is also the best we have seen from Cena in a long time. It gets us out of the cookie cutter promos and generic Raw endings that everyone has been bitching about for years. So, stop arguing how much better The Rock is (because he is not sticking around) and just enjoy it while it lasts.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not entertained by crappy phoned in John Cena Promos like the one from lastnite.

Sycophant
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
The storyline in general is entertaining, not necessarily each promo. The promo last night needed a little bit of work, but the "I bring it via satellite" shirt was awesome.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 12:25 PM
It got a chuckle out of me, but it didn't make up for the rest of his crap.

The Naitch
03-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Miz was awesome on the mic last night. the whole deal. Definitely stepping his game up. Made Cena's promo look weak in comparison

Kane Knight
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
He said he's moved on from the WWE and that it isn't a part of his life anymore.

But that doesn't fit the illusion I want to believe, so I will ignore it and protest loudly.

The Rock has more passion for the business than John Cena! The Rock loves the fans more than Cena! The Rock's Shit Don't Stink!

Nah, I kid. It's fun mocking the Lara Emilies, but I don't really care about who is the better man or whatever. This feud has been entertaining. The Rock has mostly been entertaining, save being annoying as fuck when he keeps squeaking "You can't see me!" Seriously, dude, I'd rather listen to Cena say that on a loop than hear you say it one more time....

Cena's been mostly entertaining, and the whole fight about who's the
"People's Champ" plays well with the cheap seats.

Seems win-win to me.

But yeah, the Rock distanced himself from wrestling. Now he's back and trying to play it up like he's a complete loyalist. Of course, he could wipe his ass on each and every Attitude Era fan's face, and 99/100 would mark out.

Plus, of course, Cena is worse than Hitler, Satan, and Droford all wrapped into one.

XL
03-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I am glad that I'm not the only one taken in by The Rock. Thank you Mr Knight, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

XL
03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
I read somewhere that for Rocky's return promo he didn't have a word for word script like the rest of the wrestlers have to work off these days
I'm not saying anyone has a word for word script but do you think Vince lets them go live on Raw without an outline of what's gonna be said?

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
A wrestling character not saying their actual true feelings but also being very entertaining... GASP HORROR :O

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not saying anyone has a word for word script but do you think Vince lets them go live on Raw without an outline of what's gonna be said?

That doesn't explain Cena's shit awful delivery lastnight. He's gotta get rid of his stupid smarmy fucking smirk and stop trying his best to be so cool and funny. When he tries so hard, he is neither cool or funny.

He is really good when he wants to be, so I don't understand how he just stinks the joint out the way he does sometimes.

The Naitch
03-08-2011, 01:50 PM
what are you talking about, KK, Rock's YOU CAN'T SHEE MEE is the best thing ever

The Naitch
03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOBgefp-nZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swish
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
It's funny that The Rock is making a movie as we speak, yet he says he's never leaving the people again. He hasn't been on raw live since his one off return.

He claimed he was not returning to promote his movie, yet instead he came out and chatted a load of crap about his facebook page. Made some comments about Cena and then left. I also don't get the *I bring it* slogan that The rock is wearing I mean what does he bring?. Besides selling out..

The fans who cheer him now seem to forget he sold them out for Hollywood.
And yet he returns and people forget.

I do blame The Rock, He has said he will never wrestle again, yet
he's willing to come back to do some sort of big money making deal.

What's the matter Rock, not making enough in Hollywood?.

Jordan
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Well everybody is entitled to their opinion. This is what I see.

Rock comes back, one of the biggest moments ever. He quickly turned to the asshole Rock we all know and love, and slammed WWE's biggest babyface. Not saying Rock is a heel, but I don't think they are telling him not to be. Cena is the babyface, Rock is an outside force that doesn't need a denomination to get over against Cena.

This could turn Cena heel, but I doubt thats the route they go with it. WWE is smart at the moment, this is all going to be for The Miz, lets just wait and see.

As far as does Cena have the right to cut like he does on the Rock? Well it's no more tasteless than the childish names The Rock is using. To me, The Rock is being a big bully type and Cena is honest and just telling the truth. Maybe because a lot of you hate Cena so much you are naturally going to side with the Rock. However I love the fact that Cena is "whinning" in this program because he is just reacting to a call out. The Rock is going to make John Cena better than ever, especially if he trys to go heel during this program. The question is, is that smart for Wrestlemania? Is it smart to book Rock as a heel? No. Is it smart to turn John Cena because of The Rock? No. It's gotta be up the WWE's sleeve for the Miz to get the major rub from this.

Cena will turn heel when he beats the Undertaker next year at Wrestlemania, not with the Rock.

Jordan
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
BTW WWE should get Charlie Sheen to be in the Miz's corner at Wrestlemania, that would be fucking gold.

The Naitch
03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I noticed the "Hollywood connection" in this 3 way. Miz has his little thing with TMZ etc, the LA people like Cena (he made a song with Murs), and of course The Rock

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_kQzUCkY9l4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CSL
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
BREAKING NEWS: WRESTLING STILL SCRIPTED!

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Well everybody is entitled to their opinion. This is what I see.

Rock comes back, one of the biggest moments ever. He quickly turned to the asshole Rock we all know and love, and slammed WWE's biggest babyface. Not saying Rock is a heel, but I don't think they are telling him not to be. Cena is the babyface, Rock is an outside force that doesn't need a denomination to get over against Cena.

This could turn Cena heel, but I doubt thats the route they go with it. WWE is smart at the moment, this is all going to be for The Miz, lets just wait and see.

As far as does Cena have the right to cut like he does on the Rock? Well it's no more tasteless than the childish names The Rock is using. To me, The Rock is being a big bully type and Cena is honest and just telling the truth. Maybe because a lot of you hate Cena so much you are naturally going to side with the Rock. However I love the fact that Cena is "whinning" in this program because he is just reacting to a call out. The Rock is going to make John Cena better than ever, especially if he trys to go heel during this program. The question is, is that smart for Wrestlemania? Is it smart to book Rock as a heel? No. Is it smart to turn John Cena because of The Rock? No. It's gotta be up the WWE's sleeve for the Miz to get the major rub from this.

Cena will turn heel when he beats the Undertaker next year at Wrestlemania, not with the Rock.

Apart from Lara blabbing about god knows what and acting like a n00b, I don't think people care about the angle Cena takes to rip on the rock. It's fine. It's a matter of how he delivers, and other than one half decent rap, he hasn't delivered at all. He did the rap 2 weeks ago and everyone was like OMFG OLD CENA IS BACK, then the next week he came out and totally bombed when he cut that promo on the Miz, then there was this week, where he just totally sucked.

He is not holding up his end of the bargain, and that is my beef. Rock can hold up his end of the bargain without showing up and all Cena is doing is showing up, and not much more.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
For the record Cena did an interview 3 years ago where he basically questioned Rock's love for the business, so it started outside of the "universe"

This is a feud scripted in reality so to speak. That being said do I belive that Cean and Rock are saying their entire true feelings that is is some giant shoot, course not, I'm not an idiot, but given that this whole promo series is based off events that happened in the real world and not in the WWE Universe, when people say you know Cena has a point, they aren't really reacting to a storyline, because all of Cena's promos are based on Rock leaving WWE for Hollywood and the satellite thing (which hell The Rock probably does his stuff via satellite because WWE asked him to do so in order to enhance John Cena's "point")

Majunior
03-08-2011, 03:26 PM
XL and Kane are on the money, and Dale makes some good points.

Personally, I've not particularly liked the Rock. Either now, or in the Attitude era. The same 14 catchphrases repeated over and over every week does not a good promo make, no matter how much energy you use to say it or how pretty your smile is. Anyone who says Rock's 10 minute long satellite promo (the week after Cena's rap) was "entertaining" can also tell you if the Rock's eating enough pineapple, if you catch my drift.

As Dale's beef with Cena is him not delivering on his end of the promo bargain (fair assessment, mind you), my beef with Rock -- as has been mentioned -- is that he has done his best to bury the industry in the years he was gone and now shows up acting like we should worship him for taking time out of his busy schedule just for us, and all the while saying "It wasn't me" like he forgot he gave us a key and we caught him in the shower with the neighbor chick.

erickman
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
It's a storyline, the things Cena is saying he most likely doesn't believe, same goes for the Rock. If they did believe it, or if Cena ACTUALLY believed what he was saying he surely would have been FAR more convincing than he was lastnite.

I don't think Rock is burying Cena or trying to bury him, the point of the Rock being involved is to add main stream interest to Miz vs Cena. Cena was given the ball last nite to knock it out of the park and I mean ACTUALLY knock it out of the park, and show some seriousness and passion, and all we got was the same cutesy bullshit.

Say what one likes about the Rock's promo from the week before, but at least he showed some fire and some anger and made it appear like he took the whole situation seriously. Then you have Cena, who rap or no rap, was the same guy with the purple shirt, saying cutesy stupid fucking things when he's trying to go word for word with the Rock. It's time for him to step up his game because the Rock is NOT burying him, but giving him ample opportunity to bring his A game.

Then you have the Miz who is actually stepping up his game. He's not as good on the mic as Cena as far as history would suggest and the fact that Cena is still Cena. But yet he's cutting the better promos and he's the only one adding proper hype to their match, because as much as a "company" man Cena is, the way he goes out there and refuses to be serious and even attempt to add any form of intensity to a Wrestlemania Main event, one would think, he plainly didn't give a fuck.

yeah i kind of like this fued, an both rock an cena not giving miz any respect. i think it is 100% work it may set up a big cena heel turn.

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Only in this case, I don't think it's completely kayfabe. Time will tell.

As far as The Rock vs. Cena promo's go, I'm a little surprised that some people think that The Rock is "owning" Cena. Granted - The Rock is getting in some good shots but I actually think that Cena is getting the better of The Rock....and trust me, I am much more of a Rocky fan than I am of Cena (although I like and respect Cena as well). I have absolutely no reason to have a bias.

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
It didn't take him 7 years, he did periodic things from time to time (not in ring mind you). Again why do you demand retired wrestlers continuously show up? He distanced himself at a time where the product was bad and his movies were for kids. As for asking to not be referred to as The Rock in movies why wouldn't he use your real name, he's an actor playing new characters, why be The Rock playing John Smith, when he can be himself playing John Smith. It's called moving on, and just because he moved on doesn't mean he hates the business either.

And The Fans didn't make The Rock, The Rock made The Rock.

There is no 'demand' for retired wrestlers to continuously show up....none at all. However - why not make 1-2 appearances per year?...especially if you truly DO love the wrestling world, the people, and the fans (as he claims). Are the demands of a Hollywood schedule really that intense?

I wonder what The Rock's 'Wrestlemania payoff' will be for being the Guest Host. Of course - there is absolutely nothing wrong with receiving a HUGE payoff for being the special guest host at Wrestlemania (heck - if anyone deserves a huge payoff, it's The Rock)......but let's not kid ourselves. A valid argument CAN be made that The Rock came back for the HUGE payoff....and NOT for the fans. I'm not saying that this is the case...but I AM saying that a valid case can be made.

BigDaddyCool
03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I blame the Undertaker.

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
He distanced himself at a time where the product was bad and his movies were for kids.

To The Rock's credit, he was actually making sporadic appearances between 2003 and 2004. However - like you said, he distanced himself at a time when the product was sub-par (i.e. post mid 2004).

If The Rock proved that he could make sporadic appearances with a full Hollywood schedule (03' and 04'), and yet COMPLETELY distanced himself when the product was becoming sub-par, then what does that say about The Rock?

If someone truly loves the WWE, then shouldn't one CONTINUE to make sporadic appearances when times are tough?....you know, to help keep ratings afloat? Again - absolutely no obligation on The Rock's part....but where is this "love for the business" that he speaks of?....especially if he proved in 03' and 04' that he CAN make multiple apperances per year despite a full Hollywood schedule?

Look at Shawn Michaels and Undertaker back in the mid 90's.....when WCW was crushing the WWE. HBK and Taker could have left, but they stuck around...and HELPED the WWE during a time of need. To me - THAT shows true love. Bret Hart - same thing. Bret would've stayed 100% loyal to the WWE through thick and thin (and he did until Vince himself suggested that he leave).

Conclusion - I don't "blame" The Rock one bit. However - I think his 'love for the business', relative to some others that have claimed 'love for the business', is exaagerated....and even a slap in the face to those that truly do love the business and have a sense of loyalty.

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Simply put, he paid his dues now its time for someone else to do it and when you look at it, its nothing more the Cena admitting he is nothing close to what The Rock was.

I agree that Cena is nothing close to what The Rock was (although in a PG era, this would've been tough for ANYONE....and whether you like or dislike Cena, we all know how 'over' he was between 03' and 05' with his rap gimmick....which was pre-PG era).

However - this doesn't take away from the validity of Cena's comments in my opinion.

-The Rock has proven that he CAN make multiple appearances in the WWE per year with a full Hollywood schedule (as The Rock proved in 03' and 04').

-The Rock doesn't owe the WWE anything. He was successful, gave the fans everything, and moved on.

However - I have to agree with Cena on this....and Jericho for those that are keeping score at home. Why didn't The Rock make more appearances between 05' and 10'? Again - no obligation, but one can definitely argue that if you truly do love something....and you were the #1 star in said organization, then you wouldn't completely abandon said organization when times are tough....as The Rock seemingly did. (edit - Ric Flair feels the same way if I understand correctly.....so it's not just Cena making these observations).

Aguakate
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Am I the only one who feels that WWE is kinda "dropping the ball" regarding how they are running this Rock/Cena thing?

I don't know...one week The Rock cuts a promo on Cena on RAW, and then John tweets about it...

...then, the following week, Cena cuts a promo on Rock, and HE tweets about it...

...and so on and so forth...

...I just think they're wasting time doing dumb things, when they could go a whole 'nother way...and I don't mean have a MATCH, but they could do other things...

CSL
03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
You mean tweeting, arguably the worlds most popular form of pop culture social networking?

Aguakate
03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Yes.

I don't like the idea of this back and forth thing where whoever doesn't show up on RAW, responds via Twitter.

CSL
03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Only one person involved that might not show up on RAW. And it'd be quite short-sighted to not use Twitter/Facebook/the internet 'in this day and age'.

Aguakate
03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
They've been using the Internet and the Social Networks for a long time now...

...but, it's kind of "sissy" to respond via Twitter. I just don't like it.

My opinion, of course.

CSL
03-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Exactly. And I could see you thinking it was 'sissy' if what they were doing was real but yah, whatever Trevor.

RVDmark
03-08-2011, 05:43 PM
You are on "The People's Wrestling Website", not the thuganomics website.

I am loving Rock's return, first WWE I have watched in months.

The problem with this fued is that The Rock outshines Cena just by being in the same state, even via satelitte lol.

Juan
03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Holy shit @ this thread

and they say kayfabe is dead

dablackguy
03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't think its unreasonable to say that both guys are being at least somewhat disingenuous.

Cena's most fair point is that the Rock says he loves the business but completely distanced himself from it. But even that's hokey at best. I guess the best example I could come up with would be a former pro football player trying to make it in MMA ala Herschel Walker. Yeah, you're known for football but you're trying to make a new career. You don't want to be the football player trying to do MMA, you want to be an MMA fighter, so in that regard, I understand. Could he have done it? Sure. Did he have to? Fuck no. Anyone who says "Oh well he should have at least made appearances" need to check their sense of entitlement at the door. I've loved some of my previous jobs but I'm not going back for cameo appearances. Cena also sounds retarded saying "You left US hanging to play a fairy with a tooth" Rock didn't owe WWE or anyone else anything. They made him rich and in turn he made them truckfuls of money. Cena may be the face of the company but that is a retarded statement - whether directed or not. Let's not forget this man made 12 rounds and the marine. Not exactly smash hits.

As for the Rock, those points have been touched upon. You can't swear undying loyalty and just drop off. Which is not to say he owed WWE matches, promos, etc but its hypocritical to now claim love when you ran from the business when acting came along.

Lara Emily
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Holy shit @ this thread

None of what I said implies that I believe what is being said on TV is reality.

abec
03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
As a wrestling fan of 20 years, I always felt the rock ditched what made him important, without wrestling he'd still be sitting at home in his parents apartment in Florida. At least stone cold shows up occasionally, and hearing his induction to the hall of fame brought a tear to my eye because you could tell he was genuine with the opportunity that was given to him. Rock just seems fake with everything he says, its hard to take anything he says legitimately when it comes to the wrestling business from his promos to when he inducted his family into the HoF. Even Brock has high regards for WWE and what it brought him and he recognizes without it he would not be where he is now.

Cena's promos are spot on, oh well, i'll continue to watch the rocks promos via satellite.

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Holy shit @ this thread

Way to repeat what Supreme said.

And they say 'immitation of more intelligent posters' is dead. ;)

Like I said - I don't think this Rock/Cena rivalry is a complete work. Worked shoots aren't completely out of the question. Examples of this? Bret Hart's promo with Shawn Michaels when Bret first returned to the WWE last year. How about Paul Heyman's promo towards Vince before Survivor Series 2001? What about Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarret? What about Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan in 2005?.....or Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in 1997?

Besides - since when did this thread become about whether this is 'kayfabe' or not? This thread was about The Rock......and if we should blame him for leaving the WWE? Tremendous cases were made by both sides. Personally? While I feel that The Rock never owed the WWE anything, it was a bit strange that he never once made a live appearance between 2005 and 2010......for a business that he supposedly loves so much. 2003 and 2004 was proof that The Rock could work a full Hollywood schedule and make sporadic appearances on an annual basis. So what changed after 2004? (especially after the WWE started struggling....and could have used his help).

Aguakate
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
None of what I said implies that I believe what is being said on TV is reality.

Exactly.

Sometimes Juan criticizes just for the sake of criticizing.

It's his gimmick.

Theo Dious
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I was never a huge Rock fan, never very sad when he went away and never marked like a bitch when he came back.

I don't "blame" the rock for leaving but held against the promo he gave after Austin walked out where he said he had WWE in his blood and he would be coming to the ring until he was old and gray, it seems pretty rich that he's adopted this "wrestling is something I used to do, and oh by the way it's Dwayne now," it doesn't endear me to him at all.

Rock Bottom
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Shit no I don't blame The Rock.

If The Rock had stuck around he would have carried the company around with 1 maybe 2 other dudes and then ended up jobbing to Cena anyway in an attempt to put him over.

WWE is without names like Austin, Rock, even HHH/Taker etc. not being on full time or broken up schedules or what have you and guys like John Cena only accentuate it when stepping forth as what the WWE has mustered up to fill that void.

Man seriously the only difference between John Cena and the rest of the roster right now is that WWE has actually decided what to do with him. Once they stop being retarded and giving a guy a title match/defense one PPV and having him fight Kofi Kingston or some shit the next for the whatever belt (seriously, the belts are just whatever now) hopefully that will change.

I will admit I didn't really think much of Miz at first, I thought he was just glorified suck but he knows how to work the crowd pretty well and people are already singing along, his popularity will continue to snowball. There are also some pretty good stars in there, Wade Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, just to name a couple. I don't see what is going on here with all the booking and retarded directionless crap but to make a long story short, Cena doesn't really belong where he is at the top of a company.

As soon as someone makes a real effort to establish some sort of direction for all this talent that they badly need (and have which is what blows my mind) I really doubt John Cena is going to fit much into the equation.

What I'm interested in though seriously is what the point of this whole thing is. Naturally you have Wrestlemania hype and that's great or whatever but if you have a Cena/Miz main event hype up the main event of that. You don't need to insert The Rock into the equation to get your main event and you certainly don't need to do it to promote Wrestlemania because you could have just as easily had The Rock come out and take the mic, say "Hey doods, ya Rock is gonna be at WM man it's gonna be hot peace" and drop the mic and leave and it would do fine.

So why set them against each other. I think Cena is garbage just like 90% of people who watched wrestling a decade ago (maybe we're old men) but I don't see what point this serves. It's not like it's going to give Cena any kind of rub whatsoever. Rock is one of the greatest of all times and well, Cena just isn't. Only thing it can do is bury Cena.

So what's the logic here. Does anyone even know what's going on. Is this some personal shit The Rock got his panties wadded up about (when Cena said whatever he did about The Rock leaving WWE) and kept his panties wadded up about for years, is this Cena trying to gauge himself, I mean really, what's going on here.

Between the two of them there's no way in hell Cena can be this delusional about how he measures up to The Rock so is this thing actually heated or is it all storyline?

Rock Bottom
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I was never a huge Rock fan, never very sad when he went away and never marked like a bitch when he came back.

I don't "blame" the rock for leaving but held against the promo he gave after Austin walked out where he said he had WWE in his blood and he would be coming to the ring until he was old and gray, it seems pretty rich that he's adopted this "wrestling is something I used to do, and oh by the way it's Dwayne now," it doesn't endear me to him at all.

That's true and all but he was getting at the fact that Austin just didn't show up. It's a bit different just not showing up to work than giving a couple weeks notice or whatever.

Rock never did that. He stayed behind, ran titles, and put a lot of dudes over (not to say he didn't bury any!).

It was also at a different time in the business. I mean there was context to what Rock said. There is no context to what Cena said at all, at least not that I can see which is why I'm wondering what's going on, is all this happening really because some new guy got a big head and felt like trash talking someone, I don't really know.

Jura
03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rB0Le3oM1b8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Savio
03-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Because thew rock says he loves the WWE and won't leave, Cena doesn't buy it. Thats why Cena is calling him out.

Cena beat Rock, end of story.