PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age 2

#BROKEN Hasney
03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Couldn't find a thread, quite shocking.

Anyways, I'm so mixed on this so far. Combat is a little... Meh, but the story is going good.

One piece of advice I'll give you is to play the Awakening DLC before this if you haven't yet. So glad I did with some of the cameos and story so far.

Extreme Angle
03-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Haven't played awakeing... I'm liking it atm. Just about to pay up 50 for the deep roads...

#BROKEN Hasney
03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Haven't played awakeing... I'm liking it atm. Just about to pay up 50 for the deep roads...

#BROKEN Hasney
03-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Same, just finishing off some side quests first.

If you've done the quest where you talk to your dwarf party member in the pub:

The Mage grey warden that joins you is one of the party members from Awakening, as is Justice that possessed him

LoDownM
03-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I thought the story was a little meh compared to the Origins storyline. I just didn't get the feeling my character was doing anything important till the last half of the game.

Still love the game tho and still hate Microsoft for doing a terrible job on 360s made before late 2008 :mad:

G
03-13-2011, 02:24 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zpKnODMBsLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LoDownM
03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Neat trick. But if you do it too much your weapons and armor go from 5 stars to none. Plus enemies scale.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Neat trick. But if you do it too much your weapons and armor go from 5 stars to none. Plus enemies scale.

The stats of the weapons and armour don't drop though, just makes it a bit more like the original to compare stats.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I thought the story was a little meh compared to the Origins storyline. I just didn't get the feeling my character was doing anything important till the last half of the game.

Still love the game tho and still hate Microsoft for doing a terrible job on 360s made before late 2008 :mad:

That's what I like about the story, it's personal and not just "Darkspawn bad and are back, boooo".

Still, have preferred the original, but Alasfair and Morrigon are such awesome characters, they would have been hard to top.

Fignuts
03-14-2011, 02:40 AM
I heard this is great, but that the dungeons are more repetitive than the first game.

Funky Fly
03-14-2011, 03:18 AM
Love the first to death. Picked up my signature edition on the 8th. Won't tuch it till next year. Fucking Oblivion.

Fignuts
03-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Don't forget that skyrim is coming out. So you can probably push back DA 2, into 2013.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Don't forget that skyrim is coming out. So you can probably push back DA 2, into 2013.

Nah, you put in DA2 ahead of skyrim. By 2013, they might have all the bugs fixed. Fucking Bethesda.

Fignuts
03-14-2011, 03:38 AM
I never had these bug problems that people always talk about in bethesda.

And FA new vegas doesn't count cause that was made by a different group if I'm not mistaken.

LoDownM
03-14-2011, 04:11 AM
It was done by Obsidian but they used Bethesda's buggy engine.

ClockShot
03-14-2011, 01:26 PM
"Enchantment?!"

Enjoying this game right now. Going through as a Rouge, bit of a pain in the ass, but I can manage.

I think BioWare missed the boat by not creating some kind of a spear/lance class. The mages staves this time around can literally double as some pretty badass weapons.

Funky Fly
03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Nah, you put in DA2 ahead of skyrim. By 2013, they might have all the bugs fixed. Fucking Bethesda.
That's the plan. Once I finish Oblivion it's on to all the DLC that came out after Awakening. Then DA2. Then Skyrim.
I never had these bug problems that people always talk about in bethesda.

And FA new vegas doesn't count cause that was made by a different group if I'm not mistaken.

I still get game freezes when I enter doors or fast travel sometimes. The duping glitch works in my favour, but it's still a glitch.

Extreme Angle
03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm going through as a a Rogue Archer.
Minor spoiler about the beginning of the game...
My friend just bought this, he started playing while we were in chat, then he said Bethany died... So can either your brother or sister die at the beggining?

#BROKEN Hasney
03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm going through as a a Rogue Archer.
Minor spoiler about the beginning of the game...
My friend just bought this, he started playing while we were in chat, then he said Bethany died... So can either your brother or sister die at the beggining?

If you're a Mage, Bethany dies. If you're a warrior or a rogue, your brother dies

ClockShot
03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
So question for those of you who have played this and are pretty well into it.

I downloaded The Exiled Prince DLC. It didn't install correctly so I tried again. It installed and I went to start it, get to Chantry, cutscene plays, go to Chanter's Board but I can't interact with it. I justed started Act 2 and it seems this is a widespread problem. Anybody else encounter this?

Emperor Smeat
03-15-2011, 08:01 PM
EA and Bioware just got busted for boosting one or more scores on Metacritic for this game.

The review ended up getting busted as coming from Bioware after a few people noticed how it sounded more like a press release, never mentioned any issues that other reviews found with the game, and at the time was the highest rated score on the website.

EA's response to the potentially bad situation basically confirmed that developers and publisher have been doing this a lot and they themselves find nothing wrong with manipulating scores.

The FTC could get involved in this case due to the review not fully disclosing the connection to Bioware and potentially deceiving customers. EA is also part of a group of companies that pays bonuses based on review scores instead of sales so it makes some sense why an employee at Bioware did this.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84747/bioware-employee-allegedly-caught-boosting-metacritic-scores/
http://kotaku.com/#!5782097/dragon-age-ii-dev-rates-his-own-game-on-metacritic-ea-bets-obama-voted-for-himself-too

Funky Fly
03-15-2011, 09:15 PM
It was a user review. Not too big a deal. I'd be up in arms if the average user review wasn't written so poorly that it seems to be by a retarded chimp. Furthermore, it was a single Bioware employee and not an actual marketing team. Bad that EA didn't denounce his actions, but at least they weren't directly behind the whole thing.

All in all, who cares?

Emperor Smeat
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Well EA and a few other companies have been guilty of doing stuff like this in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by orders of either EA and Bioware.

The bigger issue is having the creators of a game pad a score either to ensure they get a bigger bonus for their work or as a clever way to deceive a few customers. All it did show was game companies use a loophole in Metacritic to boost their scores since Metacritic only regulates professional reviews for their website (ex. 50 previous reviews required, review place is scored by the industry, etc).

RBM
03-16-2011, 12:49 AM
The game is fun enough but there are a lot of negatives going for it for me.

- While I like the fact that it doesnt have to revolve around the wardens/blight (not EVERY story has to revolve around defeating a great evil and saving the world) and the writing and lore is strong enough to still feel like it is in the Dragon Age universe even though its mainly contained to one city, I do not like the feeling that I just load up on quests and go do them, then rinse and repeat. Especially since you are running around the same hand full of areas over and over.

- The lack of traveling to different regions and the lack of the camp where you can interact with everyone is missed.

- The complete lack of managing every characters armor pieces annoys me greatly.

- There's not enough of a feeling that your decisions bear weight on the rest of the plot. Sure you can kill this person or piss this person off, etc. but it always seems like anything interesting is going to generally happen in a certain way. Also, it really doesnt' feel like copying over your save file really affects the game at all other than a few cosmetic mentions.

- Healing is pretty nerfed. Less healing spells and overly long cooldowns get annoying when you'd rather just build a badass healer and rely less on pots like in the first one. It also got to the point where I was running out of useful things to learn for my healer (Anders)

- Most of the characters are annoying or generic. Varric is the standout. He's on par with Alistair and Morrigan. Fenris is a whiny bitch. Anders is a whiny bitch. Merrill is poorly thought out. Aveline is very one dimensional. The brother is a whiny bitch. Isabela is mildly entertaining. The DA 1 characters were better thought out.

I do, however, like the changes to the skill trees and the dialogue wheel.

All in all, it's a pretty solid game but it still feels rushed to me and deviates quite a bit from what made DA 1 really stand out. It wasn't the epic continuance of the Dragon Age story like I hoped it would be.

I recently read some article where a Bioware employee said something along the lines of aiming for the Call of Duty fanbase. That personally scares me. Dragon Age 2 already feels a bit dumbed down to me, I'd hate to see them deviate further with Dragon Age 3.

Kane Knight
03-16-2011, 02:15 AM
It was a user review. Not too big a deal. I'd be up in arms if the average user review wasn't written so poorly that it seems to be by a retarded chimp. Furthermore, it was a single Bioware employee and not an actual marketing team. Bad that EA didn't denounce his actions, but at least they weren't directly behind the whole thing.

All in all, who cares?

Also, remember when the FTC totally SLAPPED DOWN SONY for this kind of behaviour? No? They had fake critics praising the Cable Guy at a point it was one of their biggest "failures."

They got caught, nothing happened, life went on.

Honestly, in an era of video reviews, let's plays, and demos, there's little excuse for falling for this shit anyway.

Also:

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/hM98gqqiJgI%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="292" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

#BROKEN Hasney
03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Epic end game. Even an appearance by the kind of Ferelden.

I'm really hoping that the team up with the grey warden is Dragon Age 3 and not some short ass DLC.

Wish I knew why Leilani was chasing the warden though. Then end of Awakening said they ran off together. I know it's 6 years in the future, but still.

Kris P Lettus
03-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Just got this today..

Liking it so far..