PDA

View Full Version : But when will we ever get to see a fatal fourway match now?!?!?!

#1-norm-fan
03-18-2011, 05:05 PM
From the front page...

WWE’s Fatal 4-Way pay-per-view event has been renamed Capitol Punishment, according to the official website of Cineplex Odeon Theatres. The event takes place on June 19, 2011 at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.

Good riddance. I love the name Capitol Punishment for some reason too. It sounds all old-timey. Reminds me of late 80's/early 90's NWA/WCW.

Jordan
03-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Great move, Fatal Four Way does not deserve its own PPV. I wonder what the gimmick for Capital Punishment is?

#1-norm-fan
03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
A one on one 1 fall wrestling match. That would be just fine by me.

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Glad Fatal Four Way is gone. It was the worst of the gimmick named PPVs.

And I love the name Capitol Punishment. Sounds like an old school In Your House name.

So now the lineup is:

Royal Rumble
Elimination Chamber
Wrestlemania
Extreme Rules
Over The Limit
Capitol Punishment
Money In The Bank
Summerslam
Night of Champions
Hell in a Cell
Bragging Rights
Survivor Series
TLC

If they'd just can Hell in a Cell and Bragging Rights for one, regularly named PPV, I'd be thrilled with that lineup. I don't mind the gimmick-centric PPV if the gimmick is appropriate and it's not overdone.
I like the way they do TLC and MITB.
TLC is a once a year thing, and the undercard is made of spinoffs (regular ladder, regular table). That's fair play.
MITB includes just one for each brand, as big main events, and feels like a KOTR deal. Awesome.
Extreme Rules is broader than just one gimmick match and doesn't neccessarily imply a guarunteed identity.

And Elimination Chamber is also a once a year tradition, and really a perfect use of the gimmick to bridge Rumble and Mania, and shake up the title scene. Love it.

Hell in a Cell just has no place being it's own PPV and is one too far on the gimmicks.
Bragging Rights is nonsense. It has a false meaning, and is redundant with Survivor Series. Especially in the same 2 month span.

Executioner
03-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Great move, Fatal Four Way does not deserve its own PPV. I wonder what the gimmick for Capital Punishment is?

Chamber of Horrors :shifty:

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Royal Rumble
Elimination Chamber
Wrestlemania
-cool sounding, non-gimmicked PPV-
Over The Limit
Capitol Punishment
Money In The Bank
Summerslam
Night of Champions
Halloween Havoc
Survivor Series
TLC

That's my ideal lineup. And maybe change up the names of those 3 non-themed spring PPVs annually

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Maybe they've finally renamed War Games match Capital Punishment, and they're going to bring it back it as the main attraction of that PPV

Let the wishing and speculation begin!

Eklipse
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM

Electric chair match. First person to secure the opponent in the electric chair on the stage is the victor. :|

Jordan
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Gas Chamber Match ... featuring The Big Show ...:eek:....:|....:$

JimmyMess
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Well being that is capital punishment...

the loser will either...

get the chamber
lethal injection
the chair

#1-norm-fan
03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Electric chair match. First person to secure the opponent in the electric chair on the stage is the victor. :|

That was actually done by WCW in the early 90's.

#1-norm-fan
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5v1uXyPC5Sk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See

#BROKEN Hasney
03-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Should have just made it a Troublesome Twenty Way.

jskinnyg
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe they've finally renamed War Games match Capital Punishment, and they're going to bring it back it as the main attraction of that PPV

Would be awesome!

jskinnyg
03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
And I agree... Fatal Four Ways were the WORST... Matches where an opponent can become the champion by not pinning the champion is complete BS...

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I think that's usually the point of the gimmick.

I don't have a problem with Fatal Four Way matches, but as the gimmick of an entire ppv? Lord no.

MoFo
03-18-2011, 06:56 PM
It was only the two main events that were F4W though.

It was a rly good PPV last yr IMO, Jericho v Bourne was good, as were the main events.

Nicky Fives
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Capitol Punishment should be all one-on-one, no stipulation matches.....

Shisen Kopf
03-18-2011, 07:07 PM
They need to bring back Starcade 83 Woooooooooooo!

#BROKEN Hasney
03-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Capitol Punishment should be all one-on-one, no stipulation matches.....

Oh yeah for sure. We wouldn't want any variation would we?

It should also be the one night of the year everyone wears a grey t-shirt and pants.

Tazz Dan
03-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Capitol Punishment, to headlined by Hugh G Rection and GI Bro.

Lara Emily
03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd love to see them go back to IYH style, and change PPV names every year but the big 4

CSL
03-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Wonder if they keep this name for 2012 despite probably not holding it in D.C. Or maybe they could run the same building every year.

Lara Emily
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Nah they'll change it next year I'm almost sure and I doubt if they had a plan to run an annual PPV in the same city each year that that city would be Washington DC

Stickman
03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5v1uXyPC5Sk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See

That.........was.........awful.

LOL at the ref wearing a hockey helmet.

Mr. C
03-18-2011, 08:30 PM
The name reminds me of the UK PPV they had in 1998 called Captial Carnage. Would’ve rather seen them replace TLC in December with this, as I liked Fatal Four Way.

Droford
03-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Should have been Capital Combat, then they could have brought Robocop back to save
<del>Sti</del>....John Cena from the <del>4 Hor</del>..Nexus

RGWhat316
03-18-2011, 09:02 PM

In Jericho's new book, he says that HHH has been petitioning to get War Games into WWE. Surprised it hasnt happened yet, but maybe could be it.

Mr. Nerfect
03-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Triple H is becoming more and more involved with creative, so it's very possible we'd see it. With the WCW DVD coming out soon, it might be a good way to get attention.

I don't mind the name Capitol Punishment. It does sound like an IYH PPV name, which is pretty cool. I still wish they brought back the King of the Ring for June, though. I think Swagger was doing a little thing last year where he was whining about losing the World Heavyweight Title at Fatal 4-Way -- they could have had Swagger bring back the King of the Ring to PPV, and had him enter the tournament (along with Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre and Wade Barrett) and really created a tournament that people cared about. Winner gets a Survivor Series title shot.

My ideal line-up would be this:

January: Royal Rumble
February: No Way Out (don't see the need for the Elimination Chamber name)
March/April: WrestleMania
April: Capitol Punishment
May: Over the Limit
June: King of the Ring
July: Money in the Bank
August: SummerSlam
September: Bragging Rights
October: Night of Champions
November: Survivor Series
December: Starrcade

I always felt that having Bragging Rights and Survivor Series next to each other was a bit wonky. Bragging Rights can be a PPV that takes off, in my opinion, but they need to create some hype about it being an annual tradition. Do Champion vs. Champion Matches, and perhaps a War Games match between the RAW guys and the SmackDown! guys. On RAW and SmackDown! heading into the show, have some kind of shenanigans, in which the General Managers manage to get their talent to pick their opponents, and that sort of stuff.

I'd bring Starrcade back, just because I feel it would be a cool nostalgia trip, and the WWE can really promote it as a big deal.

MoFo
03-18-2011, 09:41 PM
King Of The Ring & MITB are too similar in a sense though. Both are used to launch the next big star into the main event, and if you take away the 'KOTR winner gets a Summerslam title shot', you're left w/ a tournament solely to put a 'king' gimmick on the winner.

Asmo
03-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Capitol Punishment! Megadeth reference?

Cool King
03-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Am I the only guy who liked the name "Breaking Point" for a PPV?

I liked the name, but not the gimmick of it.

Skippord
03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Dave Mustaine is the Anonymous GM

BizarroKing
03-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Nah they'll change it next year I'm almost sure and I doubt if they had a plan to run an annual PPV in the same city each year that that city would be Washington DC

From what I hear, they plan on running Summerslam at the L.A. Center every year from now on...

ClockShot
03-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Obviously, Vince is making a play to re-sign Chris Harris and grab James Storm from TNA to reform America's Most Wanted, do the Death Sentence, and win the Tag Titles all in one night.

/wishful thinking

#1-norm-fan
03-19-2011, 02:36 PM
That.........was.........awful.

LOL at the ref wearing a hockey helmet.

Well I was thoroughly entertained.

St. Jimmy
03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
THIS. IS. THUNDERDOME.

Jordan
03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
If I had my way with the PPV schedule I'd do this...

Royal Rumble
Elimination Chamber
Wrestlemania
Extreme Rules
Capitol Punishment
King of the Ring
Money In The Bank
Summerslam
Night of Champions
Hell in a Cell
Bragging Rights
Tables Ladders and Chairs
Starcade

I like the idea of the gimmicked PPV's, it makes sense if they really do a good job like Elimination Chamber last month. My list sucks because Survivor Series is taken off, but the WWE never gets it right, it's rarely been a great event with great elimination tag matches so I'd say just get rid of it. It's too hard to accept without the gimmicked elimination tag matches, and to be honest they haven't been very interesting in a long long time.

I think that King of the Ring is a great event and could be a great gimmicked PPV if WWE were to hype a one night eight man tournament and the winner would be considered the best in ring athlete in the world. That's it, no title shot. Just a huge bump for somebody, and make the tournament be the best possible matches you can book as far as match quality and booking go, it could be a very fun event. Treat it like those old New Japan Super J Cup tournaments, they were eventful because everyone, even people in the US knew they would see the best pure matches of the year in that event. King of the Ring could be a huge tool in elevating young superstars like John Morrison, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston... Certain wrestlers can take the "King" gimmick from year to year, when necessary, or just gaining the moniker, and being introduced the whole year as "The King of the Ring: Dolph Ziggler " It could be a hype tool all year around for somebody to become an eventual WWE Champion, or just becoming the work horse of WWE.

Starcade is another event WWE shoud run yearly, it seems acceptable as a nod to the old school and it's a great title and has brand recognition of it's own. Even though the last several Starcades, well many Starcades sucked ass, the first few were the ones people really remember. So just market Starcade by saying it's an honor to be on Starcade because of all the past legends and champions that had classic matches etc...
Plus I wish WWE would do a big bang year ending PPV, the December PPV rarely matters in the long run.

The Capitol Punishment name is great I just wonder what the gimmick is, maybe it's just that it will be in DC, who knows, sounds good though.

SonOfAnarchy26
03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I like the new name and Im also hoping for war games (which once took place on wcws capital combat ppv)

I think it should go this way though
Rumble
Superbrawl
WM
Backlash
One Night Stand
King of the Ring
Great American Bash
Summerslam
Fall Brawl
Halloween Havoc
Survivor Series
Starrcade

I like the ideas of the PPVs representing an annual tradition and I like the old school tradition that all the names I mentioned have. I also think when wwe split in to raw and smackdown it should have split to wwe and wcw, thats just me though.

DLVH84
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
It would be awesome, if the main event was a leather strap match.

Jordan
03-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Assault on Lybia Match the winner presses the button to fire a missile to LYBIA

NormanSmiley
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I always figured when they bought WCW and the library it would mean they would incorporate the good PPV ideas and tweek them into their own. halloween havoc, fall brwal, superbrawl etc. guess not. gimmick named ppv's force gimmick matches and overdone those get stale. Also dont get why they discarded backlash as a ppv when every year they rehash WM matches. it was fitting

DLVH84
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Check out the match between The Rock & Roll Express and The Fabulous Freebirds from Capital Combat in 1990.