PDA

View Full Version : Dibiase/Legacy Circa 2009

Snowden
03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/33deckitBV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Give the video a watch...did the WWE miss the boat on a Dibiase face turn here? Seems like that was the direction they were going in, and damn was Ted over because of it (and played his role perfectly). Should they have pulled the trigger on his face turn? What would it have meant for the long term future of Randy Orton's character? Would Ted have "made" it as a face...can he still make it?

Seems to me that if Orton hadn't started getting face pops, that a Dibiase/Orton feud would have been the one going into Wrestlemania, probably with Rhodes as the conflicted ref. At least in the short term, it would have been either Dibiase or Orton as a face, not both...and while they obviously pulled the trigger with Orton correctly, as I watch this I tend to think that they squandered a lot by not having Dibiase turn.

Shadrick
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Give the video a watch...did the WWE miss the boat on a Dibiase face turn here? Seems like that was the direction they were going in, and damn was Ted over because of it (and played his role perfectly). Should they have pulled the trigger on his face turn? What would it have meant for the long term future of Randy Orton's character? Would Ted have "made" it as a face...can he still make it?

Yes. Yes. If he had gone to Smackdown, could be huge things. Yes. Hopefully with some effort on the writers part.

Damian Rey
03-20-2011, 01:40 AM
They were going in the right direction. I have to credit them with having the right mindset in turning Legacy against Orton in an effort to turn them face. But the fans started taking Orton's side, and he was getting face pops.

Unfortunately for Ted, the right thing to do was not the situation that favored him long term; turning Orton face.

Dirk Ziggler
03-20-2011, 03:30 AM
WWE really dropped the ball with DiBiase. I think he had a great start as a single with the million dollar belt and virgil as his paid assistant. paying people off with his inheritance...now hes just a jobber.

StevieA79
03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree I think they really missed the boat on Dibiase he should have gone with a face turn. I really believe he should have been managed by Ted Dibiase for a year or two while he worked his way up through the ranks.

I like Dibiase as a performer but I can't stand Maryse. She just comes across as awkward to me, the whole talk to the hand bullshit really got old 6 months ago and yet she still does it. Maryse never talks, she barely interacts in matches except when messing up and costing Ted the match which apart from a Lovers Tiff is never really explained very well. Where are they going with this? Wrestlemania turn on Maryse maybe? Or same old shit this time next year?

His music is bland, his character is bland but he can go in the ring.

I fast forward his matches these days because he's stuck in midcard hell and it's a real shame. They really need to have Ted accept his fathers name, gimmick and attitude rather than trying to create his own because I simply can't see him developing or going further otherwise.

He's been poor since Legacy he had some great momentum just after that angle but it's really died now it's just such a shame when great momentum isn't capitalized on. He should have turned face.

seapig4
03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
What was the logic of not turning Ted?

addy2hotty
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Ted wasn't that over. Let's not be silly.

Ultra Mantis
03-20-2011, 03:40 PM
If they were ever going to turn him face it should have happened right there and then, by the time the angle came to it's conclusion any face momentum Ted had was totally dead. With that said I think it was a better decision to turn Orton since there's nothing to suggest Ted would have been any more over as a face than he is right now. Once the novelty of turning on Orton wears off you just have another bland babyface.

XCaliber
03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
The fans rallied behind Orton cuz he decided to be his own man if DiBiase had gone this route they could have pulled it off. Could still happen yet though as Randy has preferred to be the heel and I think once his popularity slips they'll swtich him back. Thus opening the doors to make bigger faces they just need to let Ted down another path than trying to be like his father cuz that gimmick will never get you over unless you feud with Nexus and uses his walth to start a stable or take another rich guy like Alberto Del Rio heh.