PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider wrestling to be "fake" or "artistic combat"

Gertner
03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Indifferent Clox View Post
I think people would at least throw the word 'fake' around a lot less and the word 'artistic combat' or some other phrase around a lot more

I've been laughing at this for about 5 minutes now.

BigDaddyCool
03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I watch ROH, so artistic combat.

Side note, "art" is being toss around too much these days. Video games are art, wrestling is art, making pancakes is art. Fuck the world. I miss when art was art and nothing else.

Gertner
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
No BDC. ROH is real, hence their chant "this is wrestling!" Didn't you get the memo?

BigDaddyCool
03-24-2011, 02:27 PM
it is real artistic combat, geez.

Lock Jaw
03-24-2011, 02:27 PM
By calling it an "art", you get to roll your eyes at people who don't like it and go "You just don't understand it".

Rammsteinmad
03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Wrestlemania 27 is gonna be the greatest artistic combat event of all time.

Indifferent Clox
03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
better than sports entertainment

Razzamajazz
03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
artisticcombatmania 27

RiX1024
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I always consider wrestling as 'staged' 'choreographed and rehearsed', i hate when someone refers it as 'fake'.

Mooияakeя™
03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
It's not fake. You can't fake a powerbomb or an F5. It's scripted and the "actors" are heavily trained (though some have you think otherwise) to deal with the physicality.

RiX1024
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
scripted is another one i refer it to.

The Jayman
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
I went to gamestop and reserved my copy of Artistic Kombat for the 360

Indifferent Clox
03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
You know the ring has give in it and the wrestler's know how to land properly so you can kinda fake a powerbomb if you wanna get right down to it. I mean in comparison to say picking a dude up and dropping him on the back of his head on concrete.

Lock Jaw
03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.mathewbrowne.com/images/warrior.jpg

PREPARE YOURSELF Hulk Hogan... For the UPMOST IN ARTISTIC COMBAT!!

BigDaddyCool
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
I always consider wrestling as 'staged' 'choreographed and rehearsed', i hate when someone refers it as 'fake'.

no one gives a fuck what you think because you still like south park

Indifferent Clox
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
i've created a memester

BigDaddyCool
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
i've created a memester

You created a vacuum in your mouth when you sucked that dudes dick.

Indifferent Clox
03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
No, i probably wasn't doing it right.

SaskatchewanChamp
03-24-2011, 03:14 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3rdSa2lSajs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FAKE

Enough said.

seapig4
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Any form of pro wrestling is fake, you can dress it up and call it staged or scripted if it makes you feel better, but at the end of the day its still pretend.

Dirk Ziggler
03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
DDP once said it best. "Wrestling isn't fake, it's fixed"

I believe that some of the moves they preform really hurt. Sure they sell move to hurt more then it really does, and they know how to take the bumps. But a body slam to a cement floor is going to hurt. Even if one knows how to land to prevent serious injury.

Gertner
03-24-2011, 03:42 PM
If it's a pre-determined outcome then it's fake.

Emperor Smeat
03-24-2011, 03:58 PM
:rofl: "artistic combat"

I would consider it more similar to scripted stuntmen with some improvisation during a match.

Rock Bottom
03-24-2011, 04:18 PM
well coming from a world champien i will tell u this the out come might be panned but its real very real to me and it depends on what u mean by artistic 4 example rappin is a art and if u r free style battling well there u go art + combat = artisan combat. i can say this i have always give the fan a chance if u wanna battle me lets go right ahead world life keep it real. this business u have a passion 4 or u dont and if u dont i have 2 words for u suck it. never give up never surender never retire. rock if u loved wwe u would be in a wheel chair ps ric flair aint got shit on me im going to beat his chmapien records hustle loyalty respect and i have to take my hat off to all the wrestler who never give up and want to please the fans especialy gient gonsolez \m/

dronepool
03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
John Morrison and Daniel Bryan? Perhaps. Big Show, John Cena... no, not really at all.

dronepool
03-24-2011, 04:39 PM
John Morrison and Daniel Bryan? Perhaps. Big Show, John Cena... no, not really at all.

JimmyMess
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
I just call it the wrestling show.

Indifferent Clox
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Wrestling is a lot more think on your feet improv and a lotless scripting most of the time. And when I said this, in context, I was referring to the way people would look at wrestling if wwe showed various styles such as kings road, lucha, strong style, hybrid etc.

Oh the artistic combat forum

Indifferent Clox
03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Also for the record. Tjp once told me in a tweet that it's all food just different flavors. I do a southern style and try to throw in spots that are more reversal heavy so I dunno what that's called, probably hybrid or just showman, I mean it's really about how the match is built. I respect what everyone from John cena to johnny saint does. But I prefer to watch roh over tna. I'll probably Always keep up with www though, no matter what. And I can't say that about anything but evolve and dgusa, since I don't really keep up with roh that much since te tv show was a little watered down I felt. And since dgusa and evolve are leas than two years old that isn't saying much.

Nicky Fives
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
"fake" is too strong and "artistic combat" is FAAAAAAAR too gay.....

Jura
03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Artistic fakery

Fox
03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
It's just entertainment. I equate it to a TV show or a movie. Sure, when Big Show Chokeslams John Cena through a giant stage spotlight it's "fake," in the same sense that Batman flipping over the semi-truck driven by The Joker is "fake" in The Dark Knight. They planned it out for our entertainment.

Artistic combat sounds retarded as hell. Bruce Lee did artistic combat. John Morrison does professional wrestling.

CSL
03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
lol 'artistic combat'. It's a fucking work, there's no combat involved. And he has the audacity to call other people marks with the title of that other thread. Twat.

dronepool
03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
"fake" is too strong and "artistic combat" is FAAAAAAAR too gay.....

Men in wrestling trunks grabbing each other into holds isn't any gayer.

CSL
03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
On those grounds, neither is MMA.

Kane Knight
03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Indifferent Clox View Post
I think people would at least throw the word 'fake' around a lot less and the word 'artistic combat' or some other phrase around a lot more

I've been laughing at this for about 5 minutes now.

He's got a point.

I mean, if we call wrestling fake, how do we distinguish between wrestlers and fake wrestlers like Destor and Clox?

Damian Rey
03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
When I get ragged on for liking it, I liken wrestling to a neverending soap opera that ends in predetermined, choreographed contests. Wrestlers are basically stunt men with lines. Some guys happen to be better at their jobs (HBK) than others (Khali).

And I use the "you just don't see it the way I do" line when people ask how I could continue to watch it.

Damian Rey
03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
He's got a point.

I mean, if we call wrestling fake, how do we distinguish between wrestlers and fake wrestlers like Destor and Clox?

:rofl:

The Show Off
03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Wrestling is "fake."

The Simpsons is "fake."

Pulp Fiction is "fake."

Great Expectations is "fake."

The Mona Lisa is "fake."

The Creation of Adam (on the Sistine Chapel) is "fake."

What's so bad about being fake? All art is fake i9n one way or another. Wrestlers aren't really fighting to win a championship belt. The Simpson family hasn't really been around for over two decades yet haven't aged. Mia Wallace never really got an adrenaline shot stabbed into her heart. Pip never really had a mysterious benifactor. That picture hanging up in the Louvre isn't an actual woman. God isn't really breathing life into man on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. All of it is a fake. But that doesn't make it all any less special.

art
1    /ɑrt/ Show Spelled[ahrt] Show IPA
–noun
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
(in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
a branch of learning or university study, especially one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
arts,
a.
( used with a singular verb ) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences.
b.
( used with a plural verb ) liberal arts.
skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
studied action; artificiality in behavior.
an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.
Archaic . science, learning, or scholarship.

Art... is a very broad term, and yes... WRESTLING is an art.

Scoff if you will.

Johnny McNasty
03-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Hmm I've always considered wrestling to be more like dance than a sport, so yeah sure lets call it artistic combat.

Xero
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
It's ballet injected with a shit load of testosterone.

Ballet is seriously one of the best analogs for pro wrestling when you think about it.

CannoliJoe
03-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Wrestling is just Improvised stage combat.

CSL
03-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Hmm I've always considered wrestling to be more like dance than a sport, so yeah sure lets call it artistic combat.

Yeah, I've found myself using 'it's a dance' as an analogy a million times.

MoFo
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Its not combat.

They arent really fighting each other.

CSL
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh look my name is Xero and I'm going to hide my post that will be similar to CSL's only 5 minutes in the future on the 2nd page

CSL
03-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Its not combat.

Stage combat isn't so bad, it implies it is combat for stage which is essentially true. "Artistic combat" can eat a big fat dick however.

Xero
03-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Let us remember who coined this term.

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101999

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xd1qiw?theme=none"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xd1qiw?theme=none" width="480" height="360" wmode="direct" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1qiw_erik-the-golden-cellar-slade-v-the_sport" target="_blank">Erik &quot;The Golden Cellar&quot; Slade v. The Destroyer</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/indieclox" target="_blank">indieclox</a></i>

CannoliJoe
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Comparing wrestling to ballet is not a good analogy. Ballet is precise, with a dedicated set of motions. Wrestling is more spontaneous as to the exact moves being used. Wrestlers are nothing more than stuntmen with an expertise in exaggerated hand to hand combat with varying acting skills.

CannoliJoe
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Its not combat.

If you had bothered to look up the term "stage combat", you would have known that it doesn't imply any real fighting going on.

Xero
03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Comparing wrestling to ballet is not a good analogy. Ballet is precise, with a dedicated set of motions. Wrestling is more spontaneous as to the exact moves being used. Wrestlers are nothing more than stuntmen with an expertise in exaggerated hand to hand combat with varying acting skills.

So you're saying they're glorified stuntmen.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MwZBINfWNE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MwZBINfWNE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDh8ZGpDAlg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDh8ZGpDAlg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

CannoliJoe
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
That's exactly what stuntmen do. Think about the guys who have to fight JCVD or Steven Seagal, the difference being wrestlers have to do it with out the benefit of multiple takes. I never made the statement that they are glorified. Are they good at what they do? Some of them are, most barely make it look good.

CSL
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
'Most barely make it look good?'

Please.

CannoliJoe
03-24-2011, 08:38 PM
When making this statement, I am including all of them. From the ones in the WWE to the guys being thrown around in bingo halls and VFWs.

CSL
03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Given everybody around, a lot of them are awful. But most people on Earth that watch wrestling are only ever exposed to the very best.

CannoliJoe
03-24-2011, 08:47 PM
That's true but my initial point is still valid whether or not most people have seen them.

Xero
03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
If a Clox wrestles in the woods, does it make a sound?

CSL
03-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Depends whether he's too blown up to chant 'This is awesome!' or not.

Jordan
03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
It's fake, Sports Entertainment is the perfect definition of what modern wrestling AAA, CMLL, TNA, WWE, all sports entertainment, all fake. Is there an art to wrestling? Yes, the art is not hurting the guy you hit, but making it seem like you did. If people wanted to watch wrestling then why doesn't College Wrestling get huge numbers on TV? Come on, only people involved with Amateur Wrestling watch that. If people want real they watch UFC, and if they want sports entertainment they watch WWE. However, at time you could say UFC is sports entertainment. Sport, that is presumable not with a predetermined winner and loser, also full contact. Entertainment in the personalities that are used to sell fights and they obvious bullshit they talk in interviews.

SaskatchewanChamp
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
So you're saying they're glorified stuntmen.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A4zU_s6DYR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeritron
03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
At one point in that match, even the ref is so bored that he forgets to count for a cover

Kane Knight
03-25-2011, 02:06 AM
People always try and change terms they believe to be negative.

People are pissed off by the word "fake" because they feel it invalidates their enjoyment. Which is retarded, but so are most people. People have tried to rename comic books, defining them as "graphic novels" (Expanding the term from the more "adult" collection), "sequential art," etc. People are throwing terms around now, looking for ones that will stick with video games, because it sounds childish (like comic books). So now we have interactive media (Though technically, we've had it for years). "Game" implies a childish passtime, it seems. Anime can never ever ever be considered cartoons, because cartoons are for kids. You know, as opposed to Pokémon.

They think it softens the blow, but it doesn't.

Even changing the description from "fake" to "artistic combat" only means the same negative connotations will be applied to the new label. And wrestling will still be looked down on. Most importantly, you sound like a fucking retard when you say "it's not fake, it's...."

KIRA
03-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Masochistic ballet would actually be a less stupid term

Artistic Combat....hmm

"Taker and HBK about to square off in what is sure to be classic artistic combat"

I think of artistic combat I think of fencing not pro wrestling

Tom Guycott
03-25-2011, 04:29 AM
"Artistic combat" sounds like the perfect term to describe what that "WMAC Masters" show was.

Jordan
03-25-2011, 09:45 AM
The reason ROH won't succeed is because it attempts to be legit, give me a break.

Jordan
03-25-2011, 09:45 AM
This coming from somebody who has been to five or more of their shows in the past.

Gertner
03-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Tell that's it's not legit to an ROH fan Jordan X. They'll throw one of their 5 hot dogs at you.

Mr. Nerfect
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Let us remember who coined this term.

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101999

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xd1qiw?theme=none"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xd1qiw?theme=none" width="480" height="360" wmode="direct" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1qiw_erik-the-golden-cellar-slade-v-the_sport" target="_blank">Erik &quot;The Golden Cellar&quot; Slade v. The Destroyer</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/indieclox" target="_blank">indieclox</a></i>

I feel really bad laughing at this, as everyone has to start somewhere -- but is this "artistic combat?" Seriously?

Jordan
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I've gotta be honest to myself and you guys and say the best matches I have ever seen live were from Ring of Honor. Although I quickly learned that each match follows a very similar formula, which is no formula other than spend like two minutes in the ring, go to the outside guard rail spots, back inside for superkicks, suplexes, and lariats, finishers but they kick out, maybe several times, the off the top, maybe a kick out, followed by five super kicks or lariats.

It's cool when done for the main event, but too many matches in ROH try to top each other, instead of make a collective great show.

CSL
03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I watched Eddie Edwards vs. Davey Richards earlier today from one of the TV shows. Was fucking ridiculous. Huge top rope rana followed instantly by a powerbomb followed instantly by a submission attempt. Can't really help but sit and think "dickheads :nono:". And Davey Richards, who appears to take pride in kicking people as hard as he can because he's fucking clueless and "this'll make 'em think it's real!" then throws the softest and worst looking punches I've seen this year. Then they do a bunch more stuff that meant absolutely nothing because they wouldn't allow it too before Edwards went over with some lukewarm anti-climax of a half crab thing. Followed by 'mutual respect handshake, we're so intense because we have no characters/are dull as ass and we're trying to make you think it's all real' bollocks. And this was on their 'Best of' TV show. Which earlier on featured the Briscoes giving some shitty looking but really fucking dangerous top rope neckbreaker thing to one of the Young Bucks. Fuck ROH. They have some decent guys and I respect the fuck out of what a lot of them are capable of athletically and the TV show has a very nice little setup but it's just shit for the most part.

Gertner
03-27-2011, 12:26 AM
CSL, you just broke the hearts of the 50 people who watch this shit every week.

Aguakate
03-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Wrestling is SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!

dablackguy
03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
People always try and change terms they believe to be negative.

People are pissed off by the word "fake" because they feel it invalidates their enjoyment. Which is retarded, but so are most people. People have tried to rename comic books, defining them as "graphic novels" (Expanding the term from the more "adult" collection), "sequential art," etc. People are throwing terms around now, looking for ones that will stick with video games, because it sounds childish (like comic books). So now we have interactive media (Though technically, we've had it for years). "Game" implies a childish passtime, it seems. Anime can never ever ever be considered cartoons, because cartoons are for kids. You know, as opposed to Pokémon.

They think it softens the blow, but it doesn't.

Even changing the description from "fake" to "artistic combat" only means the same negative connotations will be applied to the new label. And wrestling will still be looked down on. Most importantly, you sound like a fucking retard when you say "it's not fake, it's...."

There's certainly merit to this. However, my only objection to the word fake is the implication that every single aspect of the event is staged/a work.

Tell that to guys like Bob Holly, Droz, etc. who were seriously injured performing in a 'fake' sport.

Fake is accurate but perhaps not the most appropriate word - another poster made an analogy to TV and movies and its certainly scripted in that regard but there is also that stuntman/something could go wrong element to it. I would never call a stuntman's work 'fake.' Also, there's no way in hell I'm calling it "artistic combat".

So in sum imo, words like fixed, scripted, staged are all terms that would probably be appropriate.

I don't really know what the answer is but let's not give it more credit than it deserves, either.

Stickman
03-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I just view it as athletic soap opera.

GoneFishing
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I just view it as athletic soap opera.

He said it best.

Indifferent Clox
03-28-2011, 03:21 PM
that video is before I started really wrestling. That was in a freinds yard. Now i wrestle in front of around 200-400 people and our sister promotion is in PWI Insider.

Supreme Olajuwon
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
"Artistic combat"

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MdzHpr-QZhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jordan
03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
that video is before I started really wrestling. That was in a freinds yard. Now i wrestle in front of around 200-400 people and our sister promotion is in PWI Insider.

Vidz or GTFO