PDA

View Full Version : Lesnar and the NFL Draft

PureHatred
04-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Ok, again inspired by the newsboard I did some reseach.

Here's the blurb from the Pioneer Press:

Vikings coach Mike Tice said Monday he's intrigued by Brock Lesnar's attempt at becoming an NFL player.

"Why not?" Tice said. "Everything intrigues me if it helps us win another game."

Lesnar, who recently retired from professional wrestling and was banged up in a motorcycle accident nine days ago, resumes training for football this week in Phoenix. The 6-foot-4, 290-pounder wants to be a defensive end or tackle.

After the draft Sunday, the Kansas City Chiefs invited the former Gophers wrestler to attend their minicamp next weekend. He declined in order to continue training. Lesnar will workout for teams within a month, but the Vikings are expected to bring him in for a private workout. Sports Illustrated plans a feature story on Lesnar's football attempt.

Now to me, it sounded like Tice was just playing along with the question. The Vikings made 8 picks in this year's draft. They spent their #1, 2, & 3 picks on DL/LB's which is where Brock is projected to try to play. They drafted another LB in the 5th round. Then they brought in 16 rookie free agents, 4 of whom were DL/LB's. So where the hell would he fit in.

Nothing in this story even confirms that the Vikinga are offering a tryout and KC needs so much help on defense I'm not surprised they'd gamble on Brock.

Basically, isn't it about time Brock calls this a bust and just starts his WWE comeback?

Corkscrewed
04-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Kenechi Udeze >> Brock Lesnar :cool:

Wondermouse
04-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Will Smith >> Brock Lesnar

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
04-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Brock Lesnar >> You

Wondermouse
04-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Me > dirt > you.

Rob
04-27-2004, 05:39 PM
You mean he hasn't been drafted already?

When is he gonna F-5 someone on the field?

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
:D

Ferocious
04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Brock Lesnar >> You
Goldbird + Sledge > You

The Ravishing One
04-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Dude thats low

The Ravishing One
04-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Take that back

Scarface
04-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Goldbird + Sledge > You

Harsh.

As long as Lesnars not on Smackdown or Raw I dont care what he's doing.

BigDaddyCool
04-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Well, Brock is going to get his as kicked if he signs for the Cheifs.

Ferocious
04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Dude thats low

Needs to be said he's been speaking pure ass since he got here

The CyNick
04-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I find it humorous that people can talk about Brock's chances in the NFL who have never seen the guy on a football field.

The bottom line is that he is an elite athlete who has never played college ball. Now is making the NFL a long shot, hell yeah, but whats wrong with trying. Ive never seen so many haters in my life. And what does who gets drfated have to do with anything? Teams will give him a look, and if he's got any chance of playing someone will pick him up. Just because the Vikings work him out, doesn't mean thats his only option.

I hope he does make it (even though I realize its a huge long shot, although not unprecidented), because I love it when guys become successful without putting money in Vince's pocket.

PureHatred
04-27-2004, 08:42 PM
You obviously have no appreciation for what it takes to make it to the NFL.

Every single guy being drafted is an elite athlete. Every single guy the Vikings (and I use that as a reference point because Lesnar and his agent have said that's the team he wants to try out for) drafted spent years in college playing football. The last time Brock played was high school. And at his age he wouldn't even be considered a "prospect." So these guys are younger and more experienced at a higher level of competition.

Now, maybe I'd root for Brock more if he was willing to pay his dues. But he's already stated through his agent he won't play in the CFL, or Arena, and he won't go to NFL Europe, the NFL's verison of OVW. Basically, its all or nothing.

I liked Brock lesnar and a wrestler and I actually admired him for walking away form guaranteed money to follow his dreams. But as a football fan I know what I'm talking about. There were guys taken on the second day of the draft that would smoke Lesnar athletically. So if he thinks he's going to just walk onto an NFL squad after 8 months of workouts when he hasn't strapped on a helmet since he was 17, he's wrong.

tucsonspeed6
04-27-2004, 09:06 PM
You obviously have no appreciation for what it takes to make it to the NFL.

Every single guy being drafted is an elite athlete. Every single guy the Vikings (and I use that as a reference point because Lesnar and his agent have said that's the team he wants to try out for) drafted spent years in college playing football. The last time Brock played was high school. And at his age he wouldn't even be considered a "prospect." So these guys are younger and more experienced at a higher level of competition.

Good point. Just because he was a phenom wrestler doesn't mean he's trained to be a football player. I may be a damn good hockey player, but that wouldn't make me a good pro-wrestler.....or would it. A wrestler based on a hockey player......hmm..... :shifty:

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
04-27-2004, 09:12 PM
A wrestler based on a hockey player......hmm..... :shifty:

It'd never work..... :shifty:

Rob
04-27-2004, 09:28 PM
I hope he does make it (even though I realize its a huge long shot, although not unprecidented), because I love it when guys become successful without putting money in Vince's pocket.

:lol: Yeah I love that too.

I hope he makes it though because I don't really like him and don't wanna see him back on WWE TV (although he will be back).

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 10:17 PM
I find it humorous that people can talk about Brock's chances in the NFL who have never seen the guy on a football field.

The bottom line is that he is an elite athlete who has never played college ball. Now is making the NFL a long shot, hell yeah, but whats wrong with trying. Ive never seen so many haters in my life. And what does who gets drfated have to do with anything? Teams will give him a look, and if he's got any chance of playing someone will pick him up. Just because the Vikings work him out, doesn't mean thats his only option.

I've never seen him play football, but I know that switching sports (even from a "fake" one to a "real" one) is pretty damn hard. That's not to say he can't do it, but I agree that he's got to be a longshot. I'm not going to count him out or anything, but it pays to be realistic.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Quite frankly, I'd like to see him succeed too. I'd just like to keep perspecctive.

Funky Fly
04-27-2004, 10:27 PM
So he only turned down a training session?

Kinda rude, IMO. They might be interested in drafting him.

The reason I don't think he'll be drafted anytime soon is that the NFL won't take him seriously. I'm sure he has the skill to do it.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 10:35 PM
He Hate me did it...:shifty:

PureHatred
04-27-2004, 10:42 PM
So he only turned down a training session?

Kinda rude, IMO. They might be interested in drafting him.

The reason I don't think he'll be drafted anytime soon is that the NFL won't take him seriously. I'm sure he has the skill to do it.

NFL teams regularly send out invitations to college wrestlers and track stars to attend minicamps. The punter for the San Diego Chargers is a former rugby player. They are more than open to athletes from other sports making the transition from another sport to the NFL. But its a long hard road of being on the taxi squad and earning league minimum and sitting on the bench for years just for a shot to prove yourself.

I think its a long shot Brock is good enough to be on a team at all. And if he is, ( like say he goes nuts and runs a 4.6 40 at his workout )he doesn't seem to want it bad enough to go through the bullshit it would take to make a team.

Innovator
04-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Ah the thoughts of Shockey lighting up Lesnar.....

The CyNick
04-27-2004, 11:13 PM
NFL teams regularly send out invitations to college wrestlers and track stars to attend minicamps. The punter for the San Diego Chargers is a former rugby player. They are more than open to athletes from other sports making the transition from another sport to the NFL. But its a long hard road of being on the taxi squad and earning league minimum and sitting on the bench for years just for a shot to prove yourself.

I think its a long shot Brock is good enough to be on a team at all. And if he is, ( like say he goes nuts and runs a 4.6 40 at his workout )he doesn't seem to want it bad enough to go through the bullshit it would take to make a team.

But he knows he's in a unique situation. If he cant make an NFL team, he knows he can always go back to Vince, so its not like its football or nothing for him.

Look, I never said he's a good bet to make it, I just dont understand the ngativity towards him. Like I said, haters.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 11:23 PM
But he knows he's in a unique situation. If he cant make an NFL team, he knows he can always go back to Vince, so its not like its football or nothing for him.

Look, I never said he's a good bet to make it, I just dont understand the ngativity towards him. Like I said, haters.
I lot of people are still pissed at him because he "sold out."

It's bullshit, but people are translating their feelings for him in wrestling to football...

HeartBreakMan2k
04-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Personally I hope he makes it. I'm a huge Brock fan, but even if it were Hardcore Holly it would piss me off the fans turned on him the way he did. He finished out the angle he was working with (unlike Austin... twice.... and yet fans seem to love him), and he decided to go after something he was passionate about. Most fans bitch that he left wrestling, because so many people would have died for his oppertunities. Grow up, let the man do what he wants and live his own life

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 11:28 PM
How could the fans turn on Hardcore Holly? :lol:

HeartBreakMan2k
04-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Well... damn it KK you knew what I meant!

Maybe he wasn't the best example... what if Chris Jericho wanted to play hockey and quit to do that.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I know. It's all this "selling out" bullshit. While the guy's not exactly risking a lot (Since I doubt the WWE will turn him down as Rob has already mentioned), he's not exactly doing something bad. I'd rather not see yet another wrestler half-assing it after his passion is gone...

PureHatred
04-27-2004, 11:39 PM

I'm not negative. I'm being realistic about his chances. I never said I didn't want him to make it. I said I'm 99.9% sure he won't. And actually everybody who said guys like Udeze and Smith are better than Lesnar are right. These guys were starters on major college programs. I guess next time I'll just go 'Brock Lesnar roolz wOOt!'

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 11:40 PM
The best part was the fu</>ckers hating on him to the extent that they were glad that he got in a bike accident. :|:wtf:

Funky Fly
04-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Personally I hope he makes it. I'm a huge Brock fan, but even if it were Hardcore Holly it would piss me off the fans turned on him the way he did. He finished out the angle he was working with (unlike Austin... twice.... and yet fans seem to love him), and he decided to go after something he was passionate about. Most fans bitch that he left wrestling, because so many people would have died for his oppertunities. Grow up, let the man do what he wants and live his own life
That's true.

Brock > Austin, but don't ever let a mark hear you say that. :shifty:

Kris P Lettus
04-28-2004, 03:21 AM
Will Smith >> Brock Lesnar

Who Dat?!?!?

http://www.nfl-talk.net/teamhistories/saints_logo.gif

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
That's true.

Brock > Austin, but don't ever let a mark hear you say that. :shifty:
Yeah, because a mark will tell you how LEsnar sold out, and Austin's da man...

Corkscrewed
04-28-2004, 03:45 PM
...and he epitomizes the real American wife beater.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Who cares if he beats his wife? I mean, he's a badass! It's all her fault!

HeartBreakMan2k
04-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Oh and before people jump down my ass with "Oh but he said he shouldn't lose to Eddie because Eddie was small", yeah well at least he did the job. Austin refused to job (and I believe work with even) Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart (fairly certain about Owen). Bret refused to job to HBK, and HBK has refused to job to got knows how many. It's politics, that's wrestling. So even if you don't like Brock, you like people who have done the same.

Funky Fly
04-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Oh and before people jump down my ass with "Oh but he said he shouldn't lose to Eddie because Eddie was small", yeah well at least he did the job. Austin refused to job (and I believe work with even) Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart (fairly certain about Owen). Bret refused to job to HBK, and HBK has refused to job to got knows how many. It's politics, that's wrestling. So even if you don't like Brock, you like people who have done the same.
True, but with Bret, how many times had HBK goe over him? I don't remember a single time when Michaels did the job to him.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Their ladder match Shawn jobbed clean. Course that was before he hit it big but never the less.

Anyway, I agree Bret had every reason to do it, but still wasn't what was best for buisness at the time. Same with Austin, and Michaels. Would have been the same with Brock too, but he did the job.

I guess my point is, yeah you can dislike Brock but just because he's not living your dreams (no one in particular, just those who claim he "sold out") anymore, don't bitch because he's going to live his. Know what I mean?