PDA

View Full Version : When guys get 'made'

Dave Youell
04-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Idea from The Mac's threEad:

When was the last time you saw someone get 'made' I don't mean finally getting the title (Ala Jeff Hardy) I mean when you look at a match and you know that they are getting him over and someone's making them look fucking great (Ala Jeff Hardy in Ladder Match against Taker)

The example that Mac gave was the earliest I know of, which was Waltmen looking amazing against Bret. Even though he lost, he came out of that alot better than he went in.

Lock Jaw
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Morrison beating Sheamus at TLC to become #1 Contender. Looked like a million bucks.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/353/8/3/tlc_sheamus_vs_john_morrison_by_abouth_randy_orton-d357h50.jpg

Then it went nowhere.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Austin vs Bret

Brock vs Hogan

Orton vs. Foley

Lock Jaw
04-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Melina vs Alicia Fox

http://www.lethalwow.com/wrestlingnews/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/melina-vs-alicia-fox.jpg

:shifty:

Cool King
04-10-2011, 06:33 PM
The Miz's match with John Cena which I think was at The Bash in 2009 or Raw the next night. I actually thought Miz was going to win the match and some moments.

Also, Jack Swagger's match with Cena on Raw in, I think, 2009.

MoFo
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Wade Barrett on the mic/in segments with Cena at the very start of Nexus.

Jordan
04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Cody Rhodes was made at Wrestlemania by Rey, great match and Cody stepped up big time to be a Wrestlemania stand out.

TheAdamEvansFan
04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Miz needs to have a successful face run before I consider him completely over.

Same goes with Cena as a heel.

It's time to start switching some of the roles of the main superstars... It gets old with the same old feuds...

Like turning Sheamus, a new face gimmick would be enticing.

Getting Bryant some charisma, maybe as a heel with Ted Dibiase, to put both of them over as a successful tag team would launch both of them into main stream.

CSL
04-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Miz needs to have a successful face run before I consider him completely over.

Same goes with Cena as a heel.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Gertner
04-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Sting and Flair

Team Sheep
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
For me The Miz was made when he came out as The Rock and destroyed Cena. I couldn't buy him properly up until that point but that settled it for me.

MVP really got made at Wrestlemania 23 and the rest of the Spring with his feud with Benoit. His eventual move to Raw ultimately killed him off.

The Show Off
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
When I think of "making it" I think of when someone truly became a main event player. Sometimes this is when a person wins a major title, sometimes it happens before they ever win the championship, and other times it happens after they've already won the championship.

The Big Show was made by Hulk Hogan when they were in WCW right after "The Giant" made his debut. He looked like a real threat.

Booker T was made by Jeff Jarrett when he won the vacated championship from him at Bash at the Beach 2000.

CM Punk was made by his feud with Jeff Hardy.

Edge was made by John Cena in early 2006 by winning the title from him.

John Cena was made by Kurt Angle in there match at No Way Out in 2005. By the time he face JBL he was already a legit championship contender.

Kane was made the moment he showed up during the Hell in a Cell match between The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels.

Randy Orton was made by his match against Chris Benoit at Summer Slam 2004.

Rey Mysterio was made at Wrestlemania 22 when he won the World Championship... Though he lost that momentum by the way they pushed him afterward.

Sheamus was made by Triple H when he beat him and put him out of action for almost a year.

The Miz was made by his win at the Money in the Bank PPV.

Triple H was made by his win over Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000.

The Undertaker was made by his match against Hulk Hogan at Survivor Series 1991.

And those are all the people who have MADE it on the current WWE roster.

CSL
04-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Dunno about Edge. If anything, the introduction of the Rated-R superstar/MITB win/his program with Flair put him 'on the map', Cena just happened to have the belt when it was time for him to cash in MITB. The Cena feud maybe helped cement him as a main guy but I think he'd have accomplished it with any decent face. He was just a case of being 'red hot and ready'.

Orton got a lot more from Foley I'd say than Benoit, that was what cemented him as 'legit'. Benoit was basically a spare part when it came time for Orton to win the belt, he was just the guy to drop it to him. You could see they'd made their mind up that he was gonna be 'the guy/a huge star' sometime beforehand.

The Show Off
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Dunno about Edge. If anything, the introduction of the Rated-R superstar/MITB win/his program with Flair put him 'on the map', Cena just happened to have the belt when it was time for him to cash in MITB. The Cena feud maybe helped cement him as a main guy but I think he'd have accomplished it with any decent face. He was just a case of being 'red hot and ready'.

Orton got a lot more from Foley I'd say than Benoit, that was what cemented him as 'legit'. Benoit was basically a spare part when it came time for Orton to win the belt, he was just the guy to drop it to him. You could see they'd made their mind up that he was gonna be 'the guy/a huge star' sometime beforehand.

You bring up very good points.

I think the cash in was the thing that made Edge. The way he did it and how he did it was unprecedented and it had such an impact.

With Orton you're 100% right Foley made him at Wrestlemania and then Backlash. I had a brain lock with that.

The Show Off
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
You could even say Edge was cemented by his feud with Foley heading into Wrestlemania 22 and beyond...

Come to think of it Foley has always been the go to guy to either make a guy or solidify them.

Jeritron
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Mick Foley and Randy Orton from Backlash 2004.

That match really put Orton over to me, from midcard to main event. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy Orton or his matches nearly as much as I did coming off of that feud.

Emperor Smeat
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
The example that Mac gave was the earliest I know of, which was Waltmen looking amazing against Bret. Even though he lost, he came out of that alot better than he went in.

I always felt Waltman got "made" with his upset win over Razor Ramon on Raw and then slowly got pushed even more until his match with Bret which helped him a lot more.

Wade Barrett being "made" by Jericho as his pro on NXT due to both wrestlers fitting well as a pairing and Barrett's character ended up becoming a bit similar to Jericho's once he started to have matches. Every other pairing ended up not working out or not meshing as well as Barrett with Jericho.

RVD in his match at InVasion vs Jeff Hardy since he was the only Alliance wrestler the crowd was supporting and cheering. The fast pace action of the match helped both wrestlers but also showed RVD was as good as the other crowd favorites in the WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
* Sheamus got made when he was the storyline reason for Triple H taking almost a year off.

* The Miz has cut so many amazing promos, and I feel that his WWE Title reign thus far has made The Miz. He's a main eventer in the WWE now. Deal with it.

* John Morrison is very close to being made, and all that will get in his way is himself. TLC, the Royal Rumble -- both moments that have swelled up Morrison to the point where a World Title seems inevitable. He just needs perhaps one more moment -- one more big win before he gets that title shot. Money in the Bank or King of the Ring would be perfect for this.

Mr. Nerfect
04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Fucking hell, I had so much more typed than that.

Basically:

* Triple H at 2000 Royal Rumble, but the whole first quarter of 2000 was essentially making Triple H.

* Orton at Backlash 2004. His first title run was a flop, as was his face stint, and it took him three years to actually win another World Title, but he was constantly in the main event scene. Constantly.

* John Cena at Judgment Day 2005, in my opinion. I think that's the event I'm thinking of anyway. Cena had yet to get too much fan backlash, and had just ended JBL's 280 day reign as WWE Champion (Cena's would actually last the same length of time). I don't think his quick Mania title win was what really made him, though. For Cena, it was beating the absolute shit out of JBL in their I Quit Match, defining his "NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER BACK DOWN!" rubbish that defines the current era. Cena earned extra merits when he defeated DX at back-to-back WrestleManias via submission.

* Batista's made moment is when he gave the thumbs down to Triple H.

* Edge was made when he cashed in Money in the Bank. He was a pretty sure thing before then, but it just felt like a moment where something in the air changed about Edge.

* Chris Jericho was only made during his program with Shawn Michaels, in my opinion. Specifically defining moments include Jericho ramming HBK's head through the Jeritron, and Jericho defeating HBK in a Ladder Match to retain the World Heavyweight Championship.

* CM Punk was made in his feud with Jeff Hardy -- specifically when he officially turned heel, in my opinion.

And a big one I want to talk about:

* I think Stone Cold Steve Austin was made time and time again. Each moment would have been an inevitability on their own, but when you connect them, you have moments that defined an entire era:

-His 1996 King of the Ring promo.
-His legendary WrestleMania 13 match with Bret Hart.
-His first WWE Title win.
-Him attacking Vince McMahon for the first time.

LuigiD
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I guess I am alone with this one so far but what made Orton with me was his feud with the Undertaker. I really believed inside my crazy little head that Orton was going to take out the Undertaker..almost like it was his destiny or something. I took Orton very seriously after that.

TheAdamEvansFan
04-10-2011, 10:43 PM

Edge was made due to Gangrel.

Damian Rey
04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Sheamus after losing to Triple H last year at Mania. Up to that point, Sheamus was booked like a fluke. Then he dropped the belt, mauled H the next night, and a star began to be born.

Even though H went over, Sheamus looked like a million dollars. He and Triple H, in my mind, pulled out the most surprising match of the night. Everyone knew what we were getting with Taker/HBK II, but Sheamus and Triple H, wrestling in the mid card, put on one helluva match that cemented Sheamus as a main event guy, even though he did the job.

Damian Rey
04-10-2011, 11:44 PM

Uhh...how does Gangrel, a guy who accomplished absolutely nothing in his WWE run, make Edge?

Cena did not make Edge, either. As CSL said, Cena just happened to be the guy who dropped the belt. IMO, Foley made Edge with their fantastic hardcore match at Mania 22.

MoFo
04-11-2011, 12:17 AM
* Chris Jericho was only made during his program with Shawn Michaels, in my opinion.

Jericho only 'made it' 3 yrs ago?

Wat.

SaskatchewanChamp
04-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Vince McMahon MADE everyone. It is really that simple [/thread]

Mr. Nerfect
04-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Jericho only 'made it' 3 yrs ago?

Wat.

Jericho was only "made" three years ago, in my opinion. I take being made as arriving permanently into the main event. Not your first push, not your first title, but a moment where there is no more going back down the card for you. Ever. You're main event.

Right now, Swagger isn't made, for example. He's been pushed before, is a former World Heavyweight Champion and all that. But I don't consider the guy an irreversible main event presence.

Tom Guycott
04-11-2011, 01:46 AM

Uhh...how does Gangrel, a guy who accomplished absolutely nothing in his WWE run, make Edge?

... because Gangrel is the StarMaker! Paired with Christian, and eventually Edge? E&C get over. Collect the Hardyz as "New Brood"? Matt and Jeff get elevated from job duties. Even "Mabel/Big Daddy V/Whatever-the-fuck-you wanna-call-'em", more or less, got a push after being paired with Gangrel.

And yes, the irony is Damian is correct... he did absolutely fuck all aside from have a kick-ass entrance, bang Luna, and have a requisite fued with Undertaker.

Lock Jaw
04-11-2011, 02:52 AM
E&C and the Hardyz both got way more over once they LEFT Gangrel. Their overness has nothing to do with Gangrel.

That is like saying that Marty Jenetty MADE Shawn Michaels. (Possibly a bad example of what I mean)

Mr. Nerfect
04-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Edge & Christian were made as a tag team when they won their first Tag Team Championship at WrestleMania 2000.

GD
04-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Cena was made when he lost to Kurt Angle at No Mercy 2003.

seapig4
04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
E&C and The Hardyz got made at the TIT ladder match at No Mercy.

Fox
04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Sid Vicious made in his pants.