PDA

View Full Version : Greatest NES Games of All Time Nomination Thread

El Fangel
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I've been considering doing this for awhile, my plan is to get 40 or so nominations and then make a ratings thread where you list your top 10. Number one on a list will be worth 10 points and 10th will be worth one.

I plan on doing this for
Nes
Snes
Sega Genesis
Playstation
N64
Playstation 2
Xbox
Gamecube
Playstation 3
Xbox 360
Wii
PC

Then at the end, creating a TPWW's greatest games of all time thread.

JimmyMess
04-27-2011, 10:19 AM
NES:

Super Mario Bros
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Duckhunt

okay wait, they might not be the greatest, but I have nostalgia for them

El Fangel
04-27-2011, 10:19 AM
My nominations are

SMB3
SMB
Rivercity Ransom
Metal Gear Solid
Megaman
Duckhunt

JimmyMess
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
AW shit I forgot about SMB3 lol

El Fangel
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I have no criteria for nominations besides the correct system.

G
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
NES:

Super Mario Bros
Duckhunt

okay wait, they might not be the greatest, but I have nostalgia for them

Yeah, that is pretty far from the greatest. :-\

Gertner
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Techmo Super Bowl Football.

OssMan
04-27-2011, 10:42 AM
mega man 2
balloon fight
clu clu land
3D world runner
little samson
bubble bobble
mother
color a dinosaur

LuigiD
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Legend of Zelda
Mother
Metal Gear Solid
Duck Hunt
Gradius
G.I. Joe

Hanso Amore
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM
SMB3

Mega man 2

Tecmo Super Bowl

Punchout

Castlevania

Double Dragon

OssMan
04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
it's just metal gear, people

metal gear solid was on ps1

El Fangel
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Always forget that.

Ultra Mantis
04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Mega Man 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Legend of Zelda
Kung Fu

Hanso Amore
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Bubble BObble

wwe2222
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Zelda
Super Mario
Super Mario 3
Star Tropics
Bionic Commando
Contra
Castlevania

MVP
04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
RBI Baseball
Duck Hunt
Paperboy

OssMan
04-27-2011, 07:04 PM
don't understand why people always nominate games like ninja gaiden as "best of all time," i feel like these people haven't even played them. i'm pretty sure anyone who has played ninja gaiden got so frustrated at how difficult it was and if you somehow managed to beat it, i doubt you would have enjoyed it enough to call it one of the best ever.

G
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
don't understand why people always nominate games like ninja gaiden as "best of all time," i feel like these people haven't even played them. i'm pretty sure anyone who has played ninja gaiden got so frustrated at how difficult it was and if you somehow managed to beat it, i doubt you would have enjoyed it enough to call it one of the best ever.

Same goes for TMNT

El Fangel
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
For me its just tossing names in.

Droford
04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Tecmo Bowl
Dragon Warrior
Castlevania
River City Ransom
Punch Out
Metroid
Battletoads

XCaliber
04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Megaman 2

Emperor Smeat
04-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Tecmo Bowl
Double Dragon II
Mega Man 2
Final Fantasy
Super C
Castlevania I

Matt Gingarac
04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
goonies...fuck that was a cool game

weather vane
04-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Mega Man 3
Legend of Zelda 2
Ice Hockey
River City Ransom
TMNT II: The Arcade Game
Kung Fu
Archon
Blades of Steel
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Batman
Super Mario Bros. 2
Basewars
Battletoads
Techmo Bowl

D Mac
04-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Castlevania 1-3

Stickman
04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Blades of Steel and Mike Tyson's punchout.

Tom Guycott
04-28-2011, 03:12 AM

Same goes for TMNT

TMNT was mainly just THAT JUMP

All of the Ninja Gaidens were wicked fucking hard. I only came close to beating the second one, and that's thanks to the shadow clones.

You're both correct, though. Add to them Battletoads. Shitty meme aside (one of my jobs is at a GameStop. Shit's only funny because we know the prank, and turn it around on the callers), that game was nearly impossible without cheating. Stupid speed stages.

I love a lot of games, and my obvious love for Clash at Demonhead aside I will try to squeeze down to 5:

honorable mentions:
- Tetris/Tengen Tetris: all that "rights" bullshit killed this and divided the vote. If there were one version with the Tengen split-screen 2 player AND the iconic Nintendo 8-bit "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" and being able to spin a dropped piece, this would be the best game EVAR.
-The Guardian Legend - Part Raiden, Part Zelda, Part Metroid, all awesome. Problem was obscurity. Speaking of "part Zelda"...
-Crystalis - Zelda (I) killer. The GBA remake was an abortion unbecoming.
-Snake's Revenge - Say what you want about it not being cannon, but this was the only sequel most people Stateside knew about. Even without Kojima's blessing, they got a lot right.

Actual list:
Super Tecmo Bowl - I love 1, but 2 did it better. Every team, (more or less)full roster, stat tracking, injuries, etc. It was Madden before Madden was.

Super Mario Bros 3. - Seriously, this moved systems. It moved cheat/strat guides. It united geeks. It had a 90 minute commercial staring Fred Savage. What else is there to say???

Final Fantasy - We know now it saved Square's ass, but back then, all we got were those sweet write ups in Nintendo Power, and a promise of adventure that didn't dissappoint.

River City Ransom - a testament to how much of a cult following this game has is embodied in everything from Flash interweb movies to a spiritual successor in that Scott Pilgrim game (down to the "Mystery Shop" in the underpass)

top vote for topical reasons - Mega Man 2

Seriously. Where to start? Everyone knows the Metal Blade is 8 directions of game breaking bad-assery. Everyone curses at the bird/egg things on Air Man's stage. Everyone knows the song for Wily Stage 1. It improved upon the original, in both gameplay AND cover art. It was likely the first MM game most anyone has ever played (myself included). It was challenging enough without being controller smashing frustrating (looking at YOU, Ninja Gaiden), It's an iconic piece of Americana and childhoods all over the world... and personally, to this day, I have the muscle memory to fire up my NES and flawlessly float down Quick Man's stage without the Time Freeze. And it's still fucking fun to do.

Thunder Savage Go
04-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Little League World Series
day dreaming davey

dingdongyo
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Legend of Zelda

i'm surprised it took 5 or 6 responses before someone said this. comparing games to their competition at the time of release, zelda is the greatest video game ever. period.

Fox
04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Mario Brothers 3. No question. Fucking amazing game and still holds up today. It trumps Zelda in the fact that it was 2 player and was more visually interesting.

Fignuts
04-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Shut the fuck up, Assman. Ninja Gaiden is awesome. You are just a huge pussy.

Fignuts
04-29-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry, that tone was uncalled for.

Miotch
04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Final Fantasy
Super Mario Bros. 2
Tennis (lol)
Track & Field (so awesome with the power pad)

Boondock Saint
04-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom