PDA

View Full Version : Happy Nexus Day

Evil Vito
06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nVSUelir4Z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<font color=goldenrod>One year ago today, one of the most promising angles of all time kicked off. I can't remember the last time I was completely glued to the television watching the carnage unfold. It was the first time in years that I was actually feeling desperate for the next week's Raw to arrive so I could see where the storyline went. That entire weekend was spent discussing the legitimacy of Bryan's release as well, so that only further added to the "mystique" of the angle early on.

I was there live at ringside as they attacked Vince. Some people got bored of their random gang beatdowns, but I loved them. Reminded me of the glory days of the nWo. It wasn't until SummerSlam that the group really started to downturn. They could have been salvaged despite losing the big SummerSlam match, but instead they lost their most menacing member in Skip Sheffield and before long booted Darren Young and Michael Tarver. For a while it was just 4 guys in the group (as it is now) and it hardly looked threatening.

They even managed to screw up a brilliant storyline with Cena being forced to join the group that could have easily led to one of the most well-built WM matches ever. Now I'm shocked that the Nexus (well, "New" Nexus even though Punk has almost led them longer than Barrett at this point) has lived to see its first birthday considering how downhill the angle went after then. There are basically 2 versions of the group running around, neither of whom are made to look like actual threats. Probably just a matter of time before they both fade away, burying any remnants of that once great angle for good.

Discuss the greatness that was the initial segment, or anything about the rise and fall of the group here. Happy Nexus Day.</font> :y:

The Jayman
06-07-2011, 09:35 AM
this should not be confused with tpww.net poster Nexus

VSG
06-07-2011, 10:11 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Px9oNKym6Dk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:'( :wavesad:

TheChamp
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I can’t tell you how excited I was to see this fresh, new angle hit the WWE. I was a huge fan of the nWo, especially in their early stages, and it was so reminiscent of that. They tore up everything, beat up everyone in sight, and looked like they were gonna take down the WWE that very night. The thing that made it cool was the fact that, other than Daniel Bryan, these were virtually all young talent, fed up with their treatment from the WWE and wanted a change. I also have to agree that they could’ve went so many directions with this, but failure was not one of them. I just wish that Skip never got hurt. He and Tarver MADE that group, in my opinion (no disrespect to Barrett. He was definitely the right leader for that group, regardless if he had won NXT or not.)

Schlomey
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
It was fresh and hot. Even when Punk took over I was reignited with excitement for them...But yeah..Nothing good has happened to them that I care about since ..shame really.

Mr.Pewterschmidt
06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Could've been something great. Too late for that or not?

jkman61494
06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
The angle was absolutely awesome up until the point they got through Survivor Series.

Then the script writers, McMahon, or politicking by either Cena or Orton completely in all ways hijacked what was one of the best story lines (if not the best) since the Attitude era.

They took what was amazing stuff and turned it into complete rubbish. Now CM Punk has been drug into it, and to a lesser extent Ezekiel Jackson.

Barrett has gone from a potential STAR to a mere mic-carder that jobs out 80% of the time. It really is sad

Schlomey
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
no way should big zeke ever go over barrett....never.

The Naitch
06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
lol at what it's become

The Naitch
06-07-2011, 03:46 PM
THE CORRE

The NEW Nexus

Emperor Smeat
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Great momemnt but the WWE ruined what could have been a fantasic feud ending at Mania between Cena and Barrett into getting squashed twice with Cena and then Orton.

Vince panicked once Cena lost at a PPV and the crowd decided to leave instead of staying for the main event. After that moment, Cena was given complete dominance over the feud and in a way so did Orton when it was his turn to prevent any chance of the crowd being upset at a ppv.

jskinnyg
06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
no way should big zeke ever go over barrett....never.

Amen to that...

bigslimjj
06-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Amen to that...Nope. Big Zeke is what you call domination. The next big thing a.k.a. Black Lesnar.

Wishbone
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Really had high hopes for the Nexus, but Daniel Bryan's semi-fake firing and Shefield's injury really put a damper on things. WWE only made things worse with poor booking. In the end just another great concept that WWE shit on. I think the writing team for WWE might have reverse Midus touch as everything they touch turns to crap. :(

TheChamp
06-07-2011, 08:04 PM
It could have even been saved if they had tried to merge the two new groups (CORRE & New Nexus) into one faction that dominated BOTH shows. Maybe have one or both respective leaders win their show's world title, then merge. I just think it could have gone better than it did. Now they both have just turned into regular factions that watch each other's backs, but do nothing to take over anything, like the first Nexus did.

Evil Vito
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I watched the beatdown as captured by a fan in the audience. Turns out Roberts wasn't the only person Bryan choked. The WWE cameras didn't catch it, but Bryan also maniacally choked the shit out of a security guy with a bunch of camera wires.</font>

The Naitch
06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Did we ever find out what Barret meant by THE BIGGER PICTURE?

And also we forgot that Nexus screwed Taker at the Buried Alive match but nothing happened from it

LOL

Fox
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Watching Daniel Bryan spit in John Cena's face and then kick his head off was one of the best moments of WWE TV in the past 5 years.

It's a terrible shame what they did to Nexus. It could've been as big as the nWo if they had played their cards right.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-09-2011, 05:34 AM
It could have been as big as the nWo had they put CM Punk in it from the start as the cult leader instead of an after thought.

Mr. Nerfect
06-09-2011, 05:52 AM
I loved the whole Nexus angle. Was genuinely interested. Right from the start there were hiccups, though. Daniel Bryan fired for being too bad-ass? Really? Bryan kicking off Cena's head after spitting on him and yelling "You are not better than me!" was indeed a great moment -- and truthfully one I hope they use for a future angle between the two. Even if they just show the clip leading up to a Cena vs. Bryan match.

But it all turned out well. Bryan returned at SummerSlam, as a new protagonist for people to get behind. Slowly, more of the group started to fade away. Skip Sheffield and Michael Tarver had legitimate injuries, which you have to forgive. The WWE sort of screwed the pooch by having Barrett use Tarver's injury as a way to get him out of the group. He could have returned down the track aligned with them.

I never got why Darren Young was kicked out of the group. It would have made some sort of sense if they planned on Young trying to prove he belonged in the WWE on his own -- as an anti-hero with no camp, so to speak -- but that never went anywhere. Now he's playing a heel citing his glory days in Nexus as the best of his career. Once Young started to flounder, they should have had him re-earn his position in the group. I remember talking about how Young could have helped Wade Barrett beat John Cena to have Cena join Nexus. It would have served two purposes:

a) Darren Young would have proven his worth to the Nexus leader, Wade Barrett.

b) Young would have gotten ultimate retribution on the man he lost to leading to his ex-communication from the yellow and black.

Michael McGillicutty & Husky Harris joining the force didn't bother me. McGillicutty was a sleeper hit during NXT 2, in my opinion; and Harris reportedly turned heads. That both were sons of well-known WWE Superstars of past helped, too. It have them a "Born Better," sort of connection that could have translated to the tag team scene. When Tarver & Sheffield were out, they would have made great stand-ins.

I believe the booking really turned for them post-Survivor Series. I agree with the decision to have Cena turn on Barrett -- even though it meant him losing his job in the WWE. It fits Cena's character, and for once, Cena would have had to put his money where his mouth is as far as his morals were concerned. I think it should have been a more emphatic moment, though. Not just a right hand, knocking Barrett into an RKO; but a complete beat-down of the Nexus leader, as the other (barred from ringside) members watched on a television in the back completely shocked. Cena then counts the three for Orton, walks out, and then Barrett demands revenge against Cena. This would have:

a) Explained a way for Cena back in time for TLC.

b) Made Barrett look like a man who wanted blood on his hands, and not someone that was ducking Cena. Cowardly heels are all well and good, but Barrett has always had that "edge" about him. He won NXT, with Chris Jericho personally calling him a huge star in the making. Barrett could have easily been presented as a "cool heel," who fights fire with fire.

Cena could have won at TLC, and thus got his job back, but then the Nexus would have needed something else. A strong showing in the Royal Rumble? Barrett could have made it right up until the end (which he did), and then get tossed out (like he did). The General Manager could have caused tension between the Nexus by putting them in a Battle Royal to decide who gets to enter the RAW Elimination Chamber, to try and destroy the group from the inside. Barrett would have won, but you could have established individual personalities within the group. Come WrestleMania, who knows? I liked the idea of Barrett vs. Undertaker with the Nexus always looming (and the General Manager refusing to bar them, because he liked the idea of a RAW Superstar ending Taker's streak). Taker would win, but Barrett would be a legitimised threat. Come to the draft, and some guys in the Nexus that were shining could have been moved to SmackDown! -- as well as some guys in the group that just weren't fitting in. A refined Nexus, with established presence, heading into the summer months.

Alas, just a dream.

I think what hurts the Nexus now, is simply just that only David Otunga was in the original group. Michael McGillicutty has connections to it; but Mason Ryan is just one of Punk's recruits. Plus, the overwhelming numbers just aren't there. I, personally, would not mind it if Joey Mercury returned to active competition as part of the group (brought in by Punk), and if Punk gave Michael Tarver and Darren Young another shot in the group -- once they prove their loyalty to him.