PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on men's bodies... in wrestling

Rollermacka
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I read online that TNA higher ups werent happy with the shape that Chris Harris was in at Sacrifice and ecided not to sign him to a new contract... thats kinda the pot calling the kettle black. When most people think of wrestling they think of the big, cut, man in tights, but what are your thoughts, opinion, remarks, ideas, about the "body type" of a pro wrestler? You look at TNA and you can tell that Anderson, RVD and The Hardys all look like theyve put on weight and arent in as good shape as they were. Do you think that it doesnt really matter how they look physically as long as they can still preform in the ring?

Innovator
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
In defense of Matthew Hardy, he's got himself back into decent shape after his debut.

CSL
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Jeff got a bit softer, Matt was bigger than I've ever seen him muscle/mass wise not long after he started with TNA, RVD and Kennedy just look a bit smaller/not as cut as they were for Vince and Chris Harris looked like a podgy teenager. And yeah, it absolutely matters in most cases. Wrestlers are supposed to look like wrestlers, as opposed to Skinny Jonny Kickpadz never putting any work in at the gym and instead spending his time watching Davey Richards matches to learn a different way of being able to kick somebody really hard.

BigDaddyCool
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
You know, MMA is "real" and those dudes are ripped and cut. I don't want to see Fat Hardy out there fatting it up and looking like a fat sack of crap. At TNA's level, they should be in good shape. I don't mind them slimming down from WWE's roided level, but they shouldn't look like me. That being said, I don't mind Trevor Murdock looking like a pudgy hick, it fits his gimmick. Also Vader, Mark Henry, Bam Bam, and the Samoans look appropriate when they are huge.

VSG
06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Where did Trevor Murdock come out all of a sudden?

BigDaddyCool
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
He wrestles for a local promotion, so I keep hearing about him. He has a match tonight in Kansas City, Kansas.

Nicky Fives
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Shape doesn't matter, as long as you are "in shape" and don't blow up in your matches.... Harris is not "in shape" both Hardy's are.....

Innovator
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Shape doesn't matter, as long as you are "in shape" and don't blow up in your matches.... Harris is not "in shape" both Hardy's are.....

Well Jeff blows up in an entirely different way.

Ultra Mantis
06-17-2011, 06:01 PM

This. There are skinny indy guys and body builders in equally awful condition, it's not just because hes a fatty.

MoFo
06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Depends how they are billed really.

Like if they are the 'high flyer' type, it wouldnt really make sense for them to look like Yokozuna, whereas that physique would be ok for a 'monster' type power guy.

Xero
06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Look definitely comes into it. Some guys look good big. Samoa Joe, for example, is thick as fuck and what some would call fat, but his overall look works and is fine. Harris looked like shit overall.

Not everyone should have/have to have that chiseled physique, but not everyone should look average or fat. There needs to be a balance in a company with the exposure of TNA.

Like MoFo said, it does come down to billing/booking. But it also does come down to whether these guys can be made to stand out, with or without attire. Abyss is a good example for look, really. He has what some would call a "baby face". That's why the mask works so well for him. He wouldn't be half as threatening without it (this is assuming he debuts without the mask, not be built up and loses it).

And without question conditioning comes into it. If you're fat like Vader but can go like a motherfucker, then have at it.

The Naitch
06-17-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/attachments/professional-muscle-forum/42199d1294791180-james555-sorry-youre-homo.jpg

St. Jimmy
06-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Seth82 Thread.

Jordan
06-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Chris Harris was bloated and an embarrassment. However if this is TNA's priority I wonder if they are the one who put the gun to Matt Hardy's head because he was a Fatt Hardy for his debut, now he looks awesome I think, best shape of his life.

I want Wrestlers to look bad ass. The execeptions are obvious, Joe is still amazingly athletic and bad ass, totally strong, but he's Samoan so what the fuck do you expect?

Harris used to be ripped, now he looks candy dipped, he fucked himself from a big chance there.

Jordan
06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Also if your small like Evan or Rey, you better be built like Evan or Rey, I don't wanna see anyone that small with no definition. Rey or Evan could still kick your ass even though they are mini's.

Rollermacka
06-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Chris Harris was bloated and an embarrassment. However if this is TNA's priority I wonder if they are the one who put the gun to Matt Hardy's head because he was a Fatt Hardy for his debut, now he looks awesome I think, best shape of his life.

I want Wrestlers to look bad ass. The execeptions are obvious, Joe is still amazingly athletic and bad ass, totally strong, but he's Samoan so what the fuck do you expect?

Harris used to be ripped, now he looks candy dipped, he fucked himself from a big chance there.

I honestly dont understand what Samoan has to do with Joe's weight?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tQwALrvIf20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's not like every Samoan is automatically 300+ lbs. It's like saying every Brit is small and feminate (Rob Terry, Magnus and Mason Ryan beg to differ)

CSL
06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
what famous British wrestlers for the big companies have ever been small and 'feminate'?

Ultra Mantis
06-18-2011, 01:46 PM
He's obviously referring to all of the small and feminine mainstream British actors such as Sean Connery, Robbie Coltrane, Daniel Craig, Vinny Jones, Sean Bean, etc etc

dronepool
06-18-2011, 03:31 PM
They're too masculine.

Rollermacka
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
This kinda fits into the same topic, but what do you think comparing the average American pro wrestler compared to the Luchador or Japanese star? The avaerage american is 6ft 250 lbs where as Sin Cara would be the average size for a luchador. From what I've seen most of the Monster characters are americans who go to Japan or Mexico. Even larger luchadors like El Mesias or Cibernetico didn't seem that big when they competed in America

Rollermacka
07-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Bumping back an old topic when I made an interesting "realization" about NXT. Everybody in the WWE is in amazing shape (in their own way), but when you look at NXT, you don't really see the overly developed physiques that are normally associated with the WWE. Do you think the days of the "bodybuilder look" is pretty much fading away from professional wrestling?

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Except for Dana Brooke, yeah.

Lock Jaw
07-13-2015, 12:58 AM
Dunno... most people in NXT seem to have good "muscles"......

Lock Jaw
07-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe, Bull Dempsey..... pretty much the only exceptions....

Lock Jaw
07-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Baron Corbin "on the fence"... has muscles but seems a bit "sawft" in the midsection....

Emperor Smeat
07-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Do you think the days of the "bodybuilder look" is pretty much fading away from professional wrestling?

Between Tough Enough and a lot of the recent non-Indie name NXT signings, I'd say no but probably not going to see a big resurgence or Vince type levels where they dominate the top pushes and promotion.

#1-norm-fan
07-13-2015, 01:55 AM
The "bodybuilder look" won't fade away but there are gonna be more and smaller guys just because the guys coming in are a different breed than the ones from a generation or two ago. They're mostly kinda nerdy kids who grew up big wrestling fans and the next generation will probably even be more so. Even if there are more smaller guys though, the few "superhero" looking types will be the ones getting favoritism because that's what has the ability to draw in a mainstream crowd. The bodybuilder look brings with it the larger than life aspect that draws in new fans better than the guy off the street who fake fights well.

Rollermacka
07-13-2015, 01:58 AM
Dunno... most people in NXT seem to have good "muscles"......

Between Tough Enough and a lot of the recent non-Indie name NXT signings, I'd say no but probably not going to see a big resurgence or Vince type levels where they dominate the top pushes and promotion.

I guess you can look back at 2010 developmental and you had Big E, Ryback, Mason Andrews, David Otunga, and a few others that all had that overly developed musclebound look that is synonymous with professional wrestling. Today you look at the bigger guys like Corbin and Big Cass who are still look like athletes but don't look like they're "chiseled out of stone". I'm sure the WWE has guys that haven't debuted yet that are former bodybuilders or physique models but it doesn't seem like that is going to be the norm considering NXT is "the future of Sports Entertainment"

Zeeboe
07-13-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm old-school. As in 1980's WWF. When it was the land of giants. I need wrestler's to not look like my neighbor. Just being in their physical presence alone should wow someone. Watching them in TV should make you think "Wow". They should look like they can kick some major ass. As in one half-ass legit punch would kill a guy.