PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of the Big man

BigDaddyCool
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Maybe it is just me and Vince, but when ever I see a big muscular wrestler against a small or average sized wrestler, I automatically think the big guy will win. When I first started watching wrestling, the Hart Foundation was hot shit and where doing stable/tag matches all the time. I figured as soon a Neidhart came in, the match was over, because he was relatively bigger than most except possibly Vader. And then in my mind, I was like how can anyone beat Vader, he is just too big and you can't hurt him. Of course I was still a mark, and clearly suffering for the aforementioned myth of the unstoppable big man.

A myth that still is in wrestling and Hollywood for that matter. I think I got the felling a big barrel of a man is immune to punches to the gut from bad 80's movies. I mean how many times have we seen some big muscled up guy ride in on a motorcycle in a movie, get in the hero's face, and the hero goes to punch him only to hurt his hand while the muscle-bound villain just stands there laughing. Further more, in movies, how often have the big muscle bound villain turned out to be a pro-wrestler? Kurrgan, Nate Jones, Bam-Bam Bigelow, Bigshow, Kevin Nash, Andre the Gaint, Undertaker and Big Vis have all played that role to an extent.

So how many of you see the big guy as the dominate force as kind of just a knee jerk reaction?

Supreme Olajuwon
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
How is it a myth?

Supreme Olajuwon
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
My knee jerk reaction is that a sumo wrestler is stronger than a midget, but that's just a myth. Let's see how they match up in the ring.

Shisen Kopf
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Andre the Giant clearly beat Hogan at WM 3

BigDaddyCool
06-17-2011, 01:04 PM
it sounded like a neat title.

The Jayman
06-17-2011, 01:28 PM
is this because Kevin Nash got his ass whipped by The Punisher and some turtles

JimmyMess
06-17-2011, 03:19 PM
is this because Kevin Nash got his ass whipped by The Punisher and some turtles

They were also mutant, and post-adolescent

BigDaddyCool
06-17-2011, 03:53 PM
And really Nash beat himself up in that one.

Mister Sinister
06-17-2011, 04:02 PM
It was all special effects...

Nash clearly didn't lose to Thomas Janes, unless it the version of him from HBO's Hung, then i might believe it, if he clocked Nash over the head with it.

Emperor Smeat
06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I found it to be more interesting in how "Big Man" wrestlers usually only dominated either in jobber matches or the heavyweight title division but barely are that much of a factor or dominating force for lower titles and feuds.

Jordan
06-17-2011, 07:23 PM
It didn't take me long to roll my eyes anytime Vince debuted his new big man, because of their general lack of entertainment value and in ring skill. Exceptions are Vader, Test, Nash, Sid, Big Show, they can/could each offer something more than their ginormous look.