PDA

View Full Version : BOOK IT: CM Punk in the Attitude Era

Xero
07-02-2011, 09:55 AM
CM Punk is arguably one of the greatest wrestlers of this generation. His style and attitude harks back to the Attitude Era itself. So my question is, how do you see Punk being utilized if he debuted in WWE between 1995-1996? This gives him a few years of failed gimmicks and finding himself before the Attitude Era really kicks off.

Where would he have been on the card? Would he have been in the main event mix with the likes of Foley, Austin, Rock and Taker? Or in a lower position? Do you think he even would have made it in WWE? If not, WCW or ECW? What feuds would you have liked to see from Punk in the Attitude Era?

Emperor Smeat
07-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Probably around a Jericho-like level although maybe not as high as him being the very first Undisputed heavyweight champion like Jericho did in WWF/WWE.

Him running a stable wouldn't have become a big joke in just a short period of time because of how well stables were managed and focused during that era. New Nexus vs Old Nexus/Corre would have been much better during the Attitude Era than the tease the WWE ended up doing.

No chance in WCW if he arrived after the NwO or Hogan due to how badly WCW neglected its younger stars but a great chance to be the main champion of ECW based on his previous work in the Indy feds.

Nicky Fives
07-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't think he would have fit..... However, I do believe he might have kept ECW in business for a while longer.....

thedamndest
07-02-2011, 11:24 AM
He would have bitched about Austin's beer drinking. It would have been heat like Right to Censor and probably the same staying power. Just too many other big names ahead of him at the time.

The Naitch
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM
*Kick*

*Stunner*

*Glass shatters and gets flipped off by Austin on a weekly basis*

The Naitch
07-02-2011, 11:35 AM
CM Punk would've been the #2 guy behind The Rock in The Corporation. It would've looked weird though

XL
07-02-2011, 11:44 AM
He'd have been a shoo-in for ECW. Probably fueded with Sandman. And woul dhave been pickedup by WCW who have stranded him with some shitty gimmick.

Rollermacka
07-02-2011, 11:56 AM
He would have just been picked up by WCW and thrown into som random storyline. Probibly Leni & Lodi & Punk :naughty:

whiteyford
07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Sandman/RVD feuds in ECW would have wrote themselves, same as with Austin. WCW he would probably get no higher than the midcard, same as Raven/Benoit etc. just because of how the company worked at the time.

Next Big Thing
07-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure where Punk would have fit in. ECW seems more up his alley, but Raven was pretty big at the time and their gimmicks kind of overlap. It would literally depend on who Heyman brought in first.

I don't see him going above midcard status in the Attitude Era just because of the other names/egos that were in the company at that point.

dhellova guy
07-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Probably would have been a high mid-carder who could be put in a main event feud from time to time, jumped up in status after Austin and the Rock left.

I could see him as a heel in a brief feud with Austin, Punks straight edge persona against Austin's beer drinking. Maybe have a match between the two were Austin loses and has to follow straight edge for a month or something.

CM Punk DONT GO
07-02-2011, 01:05 PM
CM PUNK would have been the World Champion and prolly would be better than Austin.

The Naitch
07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
he would've made Triple Doofus a non-factor in the Attitude Era, because he is better than him

XL
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
What I meant to say in this thread was...

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST!!!

Advocado
07-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Too bad the future sucks.

Volare
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Quick to make decisions are we?

HBPunk
07-02-2011, 03:10 PM

:y:

As an 18 year old i dont think CM Punk would be anywhere near any federation in 1996. So id book him as a college student watching Shawn Michaels rule the world.

FourFifty
07-02-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm sure a few people have already said this, but here goes nothing.

CM Punk in the Attitude Era would have been a terrible idea. During that run he would have had to compete with HBK, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, The Rock, Vader, The Undertaker, Kane, and a slew of other wrestlers, without the aid of the band split to help spread out the talent.

Rock Bottom
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
He would have married Stephanie McMahon

The Naitch
07-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior would've been re-hired just in time for WrestleMania X7 so he could go over Triple Doofus (real ring name change ordered by Vince) one more time, JUST FOR KICKS

captaincharismark
07-03-2011, 01:04 AM
I don't think Punk would've been taken seriously in the Attitude era. From what we know, Heyman was the one who put in a good word for him to get a job in WWE. That might've gotten him into ECW at the time, and maybe in WWE since they had a working relationship with ECW around '96-'97. But, based on how previous ECW and WCW stars were mishandled, he probably would've been a midcarder at best. WWE didn't even use him properly now, so 12-13 years ago, with the big names and emphasis on bigger guys would mean the end for CM Punk.

If I were booking it though, I'd say put him in there with the likes of Austin, Rock, and Undertaker and watch the classic moments happen. I'm sure then WWF(E) would have to acknowledge his overwhelming talent and greatness...

Rammsteinmad
07-03-2011, 07:23 AM

:yes:

Shisen Kopf
07-03-2011, 10:38 AM
If CM Punk was around in the attitude era he would probably he been the IC champ and not much more. He woulda rassled against Ken Shamrock, golddust and val Venis and shit.

The Naitch
07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
If CM Punk were to be in the attitude era, the fans in China would've still WANTED RASSLE! WANTED RASSLE! WANTED RASSLE!

Shisen Kopf
07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Herro I am much like the American pro rassle

HBPunk
07-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Hahahaha thats delicious Shisen Kopf. And is mangrove a reference to Home and Away?

And surely Rassle is Lassre in Jap/Chink?

Shisen Kopf
07-04-2011, 07:55 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Home and away??

HBPunk
07-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Obviously not then

Punker
08-07-2011, 11:49 PM
owen vs. punk would've been a classic.

Droford
08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
We would have found out that the CM in CM Punk stood for Corporate Minister..and he would have been the higher power, not Vince.

or not.

Shisen Kopf
08-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Lol HBPunk! Remember him?

Sonofanarchy
08-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Jericho style undercard till they ran out of their main eventers and bumped him up around 2005, hed have to pay just as man dues in the wwf then he did in the indy's, prop more cause of the strong roster of the time.

there were people like benoit, angle and jericho working euro-champ matches

Mr. JL
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
European title run and then lost in the shuffle trading Hardcore title wins over Mae Young's hand delivery bed.

Possibly would have had a small Raven-Punk feud in the WWF (much watered down and significantly shorter, of course).