PDA

View Full Version : WWE working with ROH?

Juan
07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
There are people in WWE who don't know this for sure but strongly suspect there is some kind of working agreement between Ring of Honor and WWE. There are also people in ROH who think the same thing. At the same time, people on both sides insist there is nothing going on between the two companies.

Sources insist that some of the things CM Punk spoke about in his infamous RAW promo a few weeks back will start finding their way onto WWE TV soon. For example, Punk talked about Triple H taking over and he began that storyline on this week's RAW. Punk also mentioned John Laurinaitis and Colt Cabana, both who appeared on WWE TV in the past week. While Cabana wasn't named by the announcers, he was shown at ringside on Money in the Bank and was photographed with Punk and the WWE Title in Chicago after the pay-per-view. Punk also mentioned Ring of Honor, which adds to the speculation that WWE may be working with them.

For what its worth, Cabana has told at least one indy promotion that he's worked regularly with that he's not taking any more bookings with them after next month.

Source: F4Wonline.com

As awesome as I think this would be, I think it's just wishful thinking at this point

LuigiD
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I could see something small coming from it. Sort of how WWF worked with ECW in the 90's for a little bit.

Londoner
07-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking this myself.

Malfeitor
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I would love to see Castagnoli and Hero just show up and align themselves with Punk.

Next Big Thing
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
I think it would be smart not just for this short term storyline but for selecting and developing future talent.

Xero
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I would love to see Castagnoli and Hero just show up and align themselves with Punk.

You know what? They could do something big here. You have Castagnoli and Hero bring out Punk on ROH TV, and start a storyline that eventually leads all three of them "jumping" to WWE.

Malfeitor
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
That'd be immense. I can just imagine the promos and how awesome they'd be.

blake639raw
07-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Hell yeah, that would be awesome. The Kings of Wrestling could be the Outsiders to Punk's Hogan. Add Colt Cabana, and you have the heels that everybody loves. Hero & Claudio could rejuvinate the WWE's tag division.

Evil Vito
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Daniel Bryan being MITB winner could factor into a potential ROH storyline too.

Battlekat
07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I know this is a long shot, but I would love for him to go through with his promise and have a championship match in an ROH ring. I don't see much downside in it for WWE and would make it even more convincing that Punk is actually gone.

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I really don't see any reason why WWE shouldn't let Punk compete anywhere that isn't TNA.Places like ROH are lightyears behind WWE and anything they gain won't put them anywhere near being a credible threat to WWE. TNA, maybe, which I'm sure Vince would love anyway. Audiences love realism, it's what got so much attention to Punk's promo to begin with. Despite people knowing "wrestling is fake" the still were questioning that. Having Punk go and defend the title elsewhere would only build the legitimacy. People would be thinking "holy shit, this guy did actually win the title and leave with it" and interest would increase.

Let Punk do that for a couple months, indie dates are so spaced out that he'd be able to promote the storyline and rest at the same time, and let HHHs turn the WWE into what Punk feared it'd become. Then at on of his last dates, have him announce he'll be returning to WWE in a month or so to go against HHH. Then you get a month to hype Punk's return on WWE TV and reap the benefits of ratings increase from public interest. Then have the payoff match at whatever PPV. If Punk really wants to actually leave, make the match Punk loses he leaves WWE and HHH gets the title back. Though I'm sure by that point it'd have been replaced anyway, it can be more of a symbolic thing. Punk wins, they get rid of the other title and he's recognized as the WWE's rightful champ

Probably won't happen, but I can dream

Battlekat
07-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I really don't see any reason why WWE shouldn't let Punk compete anywhere that isn't TNA.Places like ROH are lightyears behind WWE and anything they gain won't put them anywhere near being a credible threat to WWE. TNA, maybe, which I'm sure Vince would love anyway. Audiences love realism, it's what got so much attention to Punk's promo to begin with. Despite people knowing "wrestling is fake" the still were questioning that. Having Punk go and defend the title elsewhere would only build the legitimacy. People would be thinking "holy shit, this guy did actually win the title and leave with it" and interest would increase.

Let Punk do that for a couple months, indie dates are so spaced out that he'd be able to promote the storyline and rest at the same time, and let HHHs turn the WWE into what Punk feared it'd become. Then at on of his last dates, have him announce he'll be returning to WWE in a month or so to go against HHH. Then you get a month to hype Punk's return on WWE TV and reap the benefits of ratings increase from public interest. Then have the payoff match at whatever PPV. If Punk really wants to actually leave, make the match Punk loses he leaves WWE and HHH gets the title back. Though I'm sure by that point it'd have been replaced anyway, it can be more of a symbolic thing. Punk wins, they get rid of the other title and he's recognized as the WWE's rightful champ

Probably won't happen, but I can dream

I would love something like that to happen. Imagine if during one of those defenses you have a WWE guy(HHH or otherwise) make a run in on one of these matches. Then maybe set up a six man tag with Punk and the Kings of Wrestling vs 3 WWE guys. This provides a fairly good explanation/feud for Punk to be lured back to WWE to defend that title. It would also be a good way to introduce the Kings of Wrestling if they are signed.

Fignuts
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I could see it.

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
And it's not like there isn't a precedent for it. Vince's previous work with ECW and to a lesser extent the Danielson situation should show Vince is at least open to the idea of working with another promotion and letting his guys be used on another promotions shows.

CSL
07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Don't see this. An appearance from Punk maybe, the hiring of Claudio and Hero etc but a running storyline or whatever doesn't really benefit WWE.

Rock Bottom
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
As unlikely as it seems that would be really bad ass. I wish the WWE would work with TNA as well. At least in some form of relationship. Just think it'd be better for every company, and better for the fans.

#1-norm-fan
07-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I feel like there's a good chance of Punk defending the title at an RoH show (though he'd obviously only be defending the physical belt and nothing more, it would be a huge deal.)

Also, possibly leading to that HHH-Punk match that was rumored. Maybe at SummerSlam but if they could kinda let the storyline drop off a little while Punk just flaunts the title for a while until HHH finally has to address the situation on TV in a couple months and it all leads to HHH vs CM Punk at WrestleMania, it would be EPIC.

Rock Bottom
07-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Everybody wants CM Punk, one way or another. I'd seriously watch him play Mike Tyson's punch out, if that's how he was defending the title.

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 09:04 PM
I think waiting for the payoff until Mania may be asking too much. Just too long. People got pissy because Punk wasn't at Raw Monday, how awful would it be after almost 8 months without him?

But along the lines of what you said you could just have Punk simply carrying the title with him at various other promotion's shows without actually defending it. Have HHH be annoyed with it but able to deal. But have it be when Punk schedules and defends the title at a relatively "big" indy show, say ROH's Glory By Honor X, that he just crosses the line. Have a furious HHH rip Punk on the following Raw about how disrespectful he is etc. etc. and challenge him. Payoff could be the next PPV (Hell in a Cell) or if they can stretch the story do it at the next big one (Survivor Series)

Droford
07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
When do we get Vince on ROH's new TV show after buying it only to be one upped by <strike>Shane</strike> HHH saying he bought ROH and now its Invasion 2: Invade Harder With Honor

#1-norm-fan
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I think waiting for the payoff until Mania may be asking too much. Just too long. People got pissy because Punk wasn't at Raw Monday, how awful would it be after almost 8 months without him?

I guess something else would need to be going on during that time period. Punk can come back and start taunting on TV, using the title as bait to get re-signed to the contract he wants. Eventually he gets it, has a unification match with, say, The Miz who holds the new WWE championship. Wins it, and continues to cut his risque "I'll say whatever I want cause you can't fire me" promos, bashing HHH every chance he gets, making a new-age Austin vs McMahon with HHH and Punk with Punk surviving every challenger HHH throws at him until he finally decides he'll get the belt off Punk himself at WrestleMania.

Malfeitor
07-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Don't see this. An appearance from Punk maybe, the hiring of Claudio and Hero etc but a running storyline or whatever doesn't really benefit WWE.

I think if Punk were to defend the title at an ROH show, it'd definitely get people talking while getting people to tune into Raw to see what happens. Popping the ratings a bit. It could be good for the short term.

weather vane
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Wouldn't surprise me...

screech
07-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Everybody wants CM Punk, one way or another. I'd seriously watch him play Mike Tyson's punch out, if that's how he was defending the title.

He tweeted that he was putting the title up against Piston Honda the night he won it.

CSL
07-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I think if Punk were to defend the title at an ROH show, it'd definitely get people talking while getting people to tune into Raw to see what happens. Popping the ratings a bit. It could be good for the short term.

it'd pop the ROH ratings if it happens after their new TV show starts, it's not going to touch WWE's. Everybody that's aware Ring of Honor exists and is interested is already watching.

CSL
07-20-2011, 09:59 PM
and a single appearance/promo threatening to defend the belt in various places would achieve the same amount

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Pretty sure WWE loves being in the news for their stories. And no doubt a wrestler who ran away with the title and was defending it for other promotions would get covered by at least a few places and get the public interested in how the WWE would react.

Had this Punk thing not happened at the worst possible time (July 4th, taped Raw, Home Run Derby), I'm 100% sure the ratings would've popped due to the coverage it got

CSL
07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
That's wishful thinking. Your average Dave the American Idol fan isn't going to become interested in wrestling overnight because the pretend fighter with the pretend belt is going to pretend to fight people elsewhere. The main reason us lot/internet wrestling folk are so excited by it is because it's Punk, anybody else it'd just be a great, enjoyable storyline and not "the greatest thing ever".

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Dave the American Idol fan is probably the same guy who knew wrestling was "fake" but still thought the Punk promo was 100% unscripted. And even if it doesn't get him it's bound to attract former viewers. Similar to how Rock's return probably didn't get fans of Tooth Fairy to jump the rating to a 3.9, but it def got those old Attitude Era fans watching for a couple weeks

CSL
07-20-2011, 10:09 PM
But they don't care about CM Punk who is "nowhere near as good as Stone Cold, The Rock, The Undertaker" in their eyes. Otherwise we'd have seen the ratings hike Monday gone no matter time of the year it is.

captaincharismark
07-20-2011, 10:13 PM
As unlikely as it seems that would be really bad ass. I wish the WWE would work with TNA as well. At least in some form of relationship. Just think it'd be better for every company, and better for the fans.

That's a great idea. If WWE had any sense, they'd work together with ROH or TNA to ensure they had competition. Being the only top company does nothing to benefit WWE. At least with ROH or TNA competiting with them on a high level, it gives WWE the creative drive they need to be more unique.

Hell, I hope WWE is working with ROH. Maybe some of the wrestling would rub off on them. Not to mention working with ROH gives them more talent to observe, like WWE having a working relationship with ECW did around 97-98...

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Keep him in the news and they're bound to care eventually. I just think the potential gain from an angle like this far outweighs any loss. I can't see WWE being done any harm or losing anything following through with this. In the end they'll get their belt back regardless and likely get Punk back too. Might as well try to stir up some mainstream interest while you're at it.

They've done dumber stuff to get in the news

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Pretty sure TNA have dug themselves into a spot where WWE would want nothing to do with anything to benefit them. At least with ROH they have a seemingly positive relationship

CSL
07-20-2011, 10:20 PM
How much do you think the mainstream news cares about or pays attention to Ring of Honor or pro wrestling in general for that matter? They won't bat an eyelid. You didn't see newspapers reporting Jeff Jarrett showing up on Nitro the night after No Mercy 1999 or Lex Luger showing up on Nitro and so on, which as far as they're concerned/to "outsiders" is essentially the same thing. They certainly aren't going to be running stories about CM Punk showing up in front of 800 people with the WWE title. That would be for wrestling fans only.

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
It all comes down to how WWE themselves handle it. If they just continue to ignore it on TV and their website, nothing could ever come from it. But if they covered it on Raw or whatever people would actually be aware. Hell, ESPN and various other news outlets covered the shit out of what was basically a typical wrestling promo. A damn good one, but simply a promo nonetheless. It's not that hard to get on the news today compared to 1999. News channels typically have a segment devoted to irrelevant fucking YouTube videos of all things, and god knows we always know what the cast of Jersey Shore is up to. It's not too hard to imagine a major angle like this getting a mention.

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 10:30 PM
None of it matters though. We're pretty much debating over yet another IWC fantasy. But hey, in a world where Punk ran away with the WWE Title and Danielson is on track to main event Wrestlemania, we can dream

#1-norm-fan
07-20-2011, 10:36 PM
But hey, in a world where Punk ran away with the WWE Title and Danielson is on track to main event Wrestlemania, we can dream

Exactly. After that, nothing really seems unthinkable.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Someone posted this on the ROH board, and some of those idiots are throwing a fit. Practically saying they'd walk away if ROH did business with the evil entertainment juggernaut... For fucks sakes. Those are the people that give indy fans a bad name. I'd love it if ROH did something with WWE, it'd be huge for them. On the other hand, some of them are treating it like the death of wrestling.

FearedSanctity
07-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah I read that shit on the ROH board earlier. Retarded. A few seem to believe that by simply working with WWE that they're ideals would somehow rub off. Uh, no. The extent of the working relationship will probably just be that you'll get to jerk off to Punk at an ROH show again. Vince himself won't be coming down to produce the shows, you'll still be Ring of Honor and not Ring of Entertainment

Theo Dious
07-20-2011, 10:48 PM

I kind of disagree. Summerslam is a month away, and then we go into that kind of slide where things kind of drop off until the Rumble, and the people who watch the show are the people who tend to tune in no matter what. An ROH crossover deal might help to bring in viewers at a time where this historically poses a challenge.

Heisenberg
07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not too familiar with RoH, but I'm always down to see some new faces and upcoming guys bust through that have been paying their dues and hopefully get some more CM Punk type guys hop into the mainstream. I'm not too into the NXT "Hey, I'm a rookie and you have to like me" BS that they are marketing.

Fox
07-21-2011, 01:19 AM
I think it would be amazing for both companies if this were to happen. CM Punk goes to ROH and cuts a promo with the WWE title. He says he's going to do exactly what he said, and next week he'll defend the WWE Championship in a ROH ring. Obviously the wrestling news sites will go insane over this, but WWE.com doesn't report a thing.

On RAW, Triple H's assistant gives him a copy of the ROH show and the WWE audience watches it as HHH watches it in his office. Hunter has no idea what to do. Punk goes ahead with the match and barely retains. This forces Triple H to go into the ring on RAW and ask CM Punk to return to the WWE to defend the championship at Summerslam. Punk refuses to make any appearances on a WWE show, but responds via Youtube. Punk says he is the best wrestler in the world, and there is no one: not John Cena, not Randy Orton, not Mysterio or Del Rio, who is worthy of challenging for his WWE Title. Triple H says that Punk has never faced the Game before, and says Punk will never be the best in the world until he's defeated Triple H. Punk responds that Triple H is overrated and is only a multiple-time World Champion because of his position in the company. Punk says Triple H wishes he were an in-ring genius like his buddy HBK, but he never has been, and he never will be. Punk says he'll only take the match if Triple H puts up his in-ring career against Punk's WWE Title.

Hopefully this would lead to Punk beating Triple H at Summerslam in some kind of shaky finish, maybe involving ROH guys. Triple H would go back to playing the man in charge, obsessed with getting the WWE Championship off of the still non-WWE employed CM Punk.

Vastardikai
07-21-2011, 05:23 AM
I am down with it for this reason:

When WWE did the first ECW invasion angle, the presentation ECW offered led to the Attitude era. If WWE did something similar with ROH, it could lead to WWE moving to attract a different demographic. You can't say that WWE didn't notice that the most "Traditional" matches they had recently (Cena/Punk, 'Taker/Trips) got the best reactions. WWE could very easily hit another boom period by following the lead of a Philadelphia-based Indy fed like they did 15 years prior.

gwaruk
07-21-2011, 07:11 AM
so has PUNK taken over from Foley as God?

Rammsteinmad
07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Nope, at the moment that title still belongs to Chris Jericho. :p

captaincharismark
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I am down with it for this reason:

When WWE did the first ECW invasion angle, the presentation ECW offered led to the Attitude era. If WWE did something similar with ROH, it could lead to WWE moving to attract a different demographic. You can't say that WWE didn't notice that the most "Traditional" matches they had recently (Cena/Punk, 'Taker/Trips) got the best reactions. WWE could very easily hit another boom period by following the lead of a Philadelphia-based Indy fed like they did 15 years prior.

Hopefully having ROH working with WWE would lead to better wrestling matches. It certainly would give them an interesting storyline if handled properly. And if it results in another boom period showcased by traditional wrestling, I'm all for it...

Mr. Nerfect
07-22-2011, 06:21 AM
It's certainly an interesting piece of news. The one thing that the WWE could get out of ROH is talent. A working agreement there to get guys they want to sign like Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli more exposure coming into the WWE is about the only benefit they would get.

I could see the WWE allowing CM Punk to "defend" the WWE Title in ROH, just because it keeps up the storyline of Punk being gone, and as long as Punk goes over, it doesn't alter their plans. It's just a bit of good-will towards another wrestling company that can help the WWE out by helping guys get ring experience and fan followings.

Volare
07-22-2011, 06:37 AM
I seriously think that there isn't another wrestler (besides Jericho, but he was never imo a "indy guy") that could pull this off as perfectly.

tjmidnight420
07-22-2011, 07:43 AM
I seriously think that there isn't another wrestler (besides Jericho, but he was never imo a "indy guy") that could pull this off as perfectly.

Would love to see a "Best in the world" match between CM Punk and Y2J

captaincharismark
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM

Although having Jericho come back and defend WWE from a ROH invasion would be a good way for him to return...

Volare
07-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Thinking about ROH now, it would be pretty sweet to see Hass and Benjamin fight for ROH against WWE.

Jordan
07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
It's a win for both sides... WWE gives back to the Wrestling world by highlighting the next generation of talent, ROH gets the biggest exposure to their product imaginable, WWE has a territory to pluck from, and it won't hurt ROH because they are able to find the best indie guys and push them and in a year or two they can draw for their company.

Xero
07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Now, I'm not one to cry "they'll fuck it up", like that ROH thread that was discussed earlier, but I could really see this. Sinclare may have gotten in touch with WWE, or vice-versa. There could, realistically, be a plan in place that, if ROH doesn't do well enough on TV, that they'll just turn the company over (read: sell) to WWE in a year's time or something.

IF this is the case, and it's just a crackpot conspiracy theory, it makes sense on WWE's part to play nice.

Remember that ROH is now apart of a broadcast company. They're essentially a show being produced specifically for their TV. If TV doesn't do well, it may not benefit Sinclare to keep it going. Consider that if ROH was sold in the first place, you have to assume they were losing money.

captaincharismark
07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
It's a win for both sides... WWE gives back to the Wrestling world by highlighting the next generation of talent, ROH gets the biggest exposure to their product imaginable, WWE has a territory to pluck from, and it won't hurt ROH because they are able to find the best indie guys and push them and in a year or two they can draw for their company.

Well said. This storyline would only benefit both sides. WWE gets another interesting storyline and ROH gets massive exposure and even more fans. Not to mention the potential for better wrestling matches.