PDA

View Full Version : What's one thing TNA has that WWE doesn't?

Dirk Ziggler
07-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Well Other then shitty booking...

But that overhead camera shot. I love that shot, it lets you look at the match in a different way. It's nice for a change. We've been watching with the same 3 camera angles, well forever.

Yeah I know the ring has 4 sides. But you never see the camera on the other side of the ring...you know the one. That main camera view...Imagine watching a match from the other side. The entrance way is at the right, and The King, Cole, and JR are to your left...Why can't we see the match at that angle? It's more forbidden then using the crossface.

First person to find a pic of this overhead camera angle gets pos. rep and a handjob from Sting Van Dam

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/224/825/Sacrifice_2011_crop_340x234.jpg?1306018207

captaincharismark
07-29-2011, 02:05 AM
A few years ago I would've said the six sided ring, but Hogan/Bischoff saw to it that any original concepts TNA had were stripped upon their arrival...

Jura
07-29-2011, 02:13 AM
They only show that angle when someone is chasing the other around the ring it seems.

Jura
07-29-2011, 02:13 AM
Rob Van Borden

KIRA
07-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Interesting and actually skilled female wrestlers whos matches and personalities

dont put me to sleep or make me go "oops women's match time for a piss break "

drmayberry7
07-29-2011, 02:34 AM
they do show that shot sometimes where the entrance is to the right it just depends on the venue i guess

Dirk Ziggler
07-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Never seen it before in my life. Only if the action is on the outside of the ring have I ever seen a camera even over there.

Majunior
07-29-2011, 03:20 AM
I agree with Kira.

Decent women's division with women who are allowed to A) wrestle, B) have a personality, C) get actually story lines, and D) time -- on the mic, in the ring, and building their feuds and angles.

Honestly, some of the Impact! women's matches are better than RAW or Smackdown! matches we get to suffer through.

Swish
07-29-2011, 03:55 AM
old broken down wrestlers.

Stealth-Icon
07-29-2011, 04:32 AM
I found the overhead shot of a TNA match
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_D36P1iWeXNs/R5-9dQmG-NI/AAAAAAAAAn0/G8dLQ5u3R4k/s400/TrainWreckHwy56aerial3.jpg

Raven Reaper
07-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Well, let's see. WWE DOESN'T have the tag titles for the women's division. And WWE doesn't have divas in a hardcore steel cage or queen of the steel cage battle royale yet some are a bit bleeding unlike the WWE divas who're just plain squash matches that last only 2-3 minutes..

Raven Reaper
07-29-2011, 06:17 AM
I agree with Kira.

Decent women's division with women who are allowed to A) wrestle, B) have a personality, C) get actually story lines, and D) time -- on the mic, in the ring, and building their feuds and angles.

Honestly, some of the Impact! women's matches are better than RAW or Smackdown! matches we get to suffer through.

This one too.

Volare
07-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I found the overhead shot of a TNA match
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_D36P1iWeXNs/R5-9dQmG-NI/AAAAAAAAAn0/G8dLQ5u3R4k/s400/TrainWreckHwy56aerial3.jpg

I was there in person, thank god I jumped off and survived a 300ft jump just to type here today.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hVOW2U7K4-M/Sa4QNJtV7tI/AAAAAAAA7bA/KSKh3UX39I0/s640/421718841_798782b334_o.jpg

VSG
07-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Vince Russo

Wolfpack423
07-29-2011, 07:47 AM
A great women's division where the women are given time to wrestle and develop storylines. I mean Mickie James, Tara, Madison Rayne, Winter, Velvet Sky, Miss Tessmacher, Sarita (she's actually really good and I hope she gets better soon after the unfortunate paralysis), even Angelina Love I like right now. There was a time when I couldn't stand her. I do like the way Velvet is getting built up as a top face as I have been following her career since 2004 in WXW. The ODB/Jacqueline storyline with Velvet is really good and I love Mickie James being the top Knockout. That's not to say that there aren't any talented female wrestlers in WWE as there certainly are they just aren't the ones being used. The women's storylines are interesting and I look forward to their matches/segments every week. I liked the Tara/Winter match last night and I am glad to see her getting used unlike WWE who just tossed her aside. I'd like to see Beth Phoenix, Natalya, AJ Lee, Gail Kim and Tamina get used more often but they are only on Superstars or occasionally on Smackdown, but nowhere near a title. I also think Eve is one of the better divas. I know alot don't agree, but she is one of the most improved and can definitely deliver some decent moves and works to make new ones. I just don't like how Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox, and the Bellas are such focal points. Alicia Fox always wins it seems and it's usually against Natalya. For that matter, the women's title should be the main female belt in WWE, not the divas title. When Natalya was champion, people cared about the title. Her reaction at TLC was awesome.

I also think the BFG series is great as t provides regular matches more than their usually worth, though I do like WWE's main event scene at the moment both on RAW and Smackdown. Both companies have good midcards. TNA also has Fortune, a newly revamped Sting that I really like (he's my favorite of all time), and oh yeah, Kurt Angle who no wrestler can really touch. I would love to see him vs. Daniel Bryan at some point.

Kane Knight
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
A six-sided...Oh wait.

Ultra Mantis
07-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Chris FUCKING Sabin.

Tom Guycott
07-29-2011, 08:47 AM
they do show that shot sometimes where the entrance is to the right it just depends on the venue i guess

I think you're thinking of when they have to set up the arena "backwards" and hard camera is opposite of where it usually is.

I think Fred means is that it may be interesting to have a camera opposite the hard one. It's likely not done due to there being a visible cameraman on screen, and that only happens when:

1) a wrestler is in disguise, complete with baseball cap, to sneak attack someone
2) The Rock is making fun of the cameraman or using "the People's Camera" in an I Quit match with Mick Foley
3) The Undertaker is supposed to land on you at a high-profile PPV match against Shawn Michaels

Camera crew and stage hands are supposed to be relatively invisible.

Anybody Thrilla
07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Even the best women's wrestling is kinda lame.

Xero
07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
WWE has actually gotten a lot better at hiding the ringside crew over the last decade. They make it on relatively rarely, compared to ten years ago.

Kane Knight
07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Chris FUCKING Sabin.

Skippord?

Cuse8
07-29-2011, 10:36 AM
im a big aj styles fan so ill say him

loopydate
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah I know the ring has 4 sides. But you never see the camera on the other side of the ring...you know the one. That main camera view...Imagine watching a match from the other side. The entrance way is at the right, and The King, Cole, and JR are to your left...Why can't we see the match at that angle? It's more forbidden then using the crossface.

Video production 101, once you've established action going in one direction, don't cut to a camera that shows it going the other way. It's disorienting to the viewer.

Basketball games do the same thing, to use another example. If you have Kevin Durant driving to the rim going left-to-right and they go to a camera where he's now finishing his drive going to the left, it's incredibly distracting and takes you out of the moment. That's why it never happens.

Even in sports (-entertainment), there needs to be a logical visual flow to people's actions. Hence the hard camera to establish a "world" for them.

RiX1024
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
AJ Styles...nuff said.

Kane Knight
07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Even the best women's wrestling is kinda lame.

I don't know....There's some pretty good stuff out there...On par with any luchadore. Of course, that's a big problem in terms of viability. Nobody cares about luchadores or cruiserweights or anything else along those lines.

Plus, they're allowed to develop about as much personality as a cardboard cutout, and watching the shit in TNA, they have about as much "ring psychology" as a two-by-four.

Plus, there's tits. Tits make everything better.

I suppose it's kinda moot with regards to this thread, though. I mean, TNA's not exactly a dynamic example of what they're doing right.

Haze
07-29-2011, 12:20 PM
A severe lack of direction.

Stickman
07-29-2011, 01:02 PM
No idea what they are doing week to week?

Kal-El
07-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again . . . more women who can actually wrestle!

Jordan
07-29-2011, 02:35 PM
TNA has nothing on WWE, even when it comes to women. WWE's women are so much hotter and that's all that really matters.

In every concievable way WWE can top TNA, Rey > AJ Styles.

Dat Fool Train
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
TNA does have to things that WWE doesn't have

Less money and exposure

kareru
07-29-2011, 03:02 PM
lots of things

a 'cruiserweight" division

blood- not all the time but it's nice to see a bit of blood now and again to up the magnitude of the match

tag teams and not just 2 random wrestlers pushed together

wayne from the wonder years - its cool seeing the camera getting acknowledged, often in wrestling you see a wrestler doing something backstage and you think " do they not see the camera guy there" i know the suspense of disbelief and all that but part of wrestling is making it look realistic/legit

dhellova guy
07-29-2011, 03:07 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4wfJxBrn1cU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Droford
07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
A six-sided...Oh wait.

Jeff Jarretts Mexican Title is 6 sided lol

Jordan
07-29-2011, 05:40 PM
lots of things

a 'cruiserweight" division

blood- not all the time but it's nice to see a bit of blood now and again to up the magnitude of the match

tag teams and not just 2 random wrestlers pushed together

wayne from the wonder years - its cool seeing the camera getting acknowledged, often in wrestling you see a wrestler doing something backstage and you think " do they not see the camera guy there" i know the suspense of disbelief and all that but part of wrestling is making it look realistic/legit

WWE is beyond a weight division, the push smaller weights who can hang like Bourne, Mysterio, Bryan, Rhodes, and Sin Cara.

Yes, it's so dreadfully important that the fake sport we all watch has the performers mutilating their skin with small razors. Fuck that. If they bleed it's cause it's real in WWE, not some teenage cutter bullshit.

Tag Teams... okay I stand corrected MCMG and Beer Money were the two best things TNA had, and.... yeah they don't have'm anymore.

Wayne....

Well WWE's got Freddy Prince Jr., suck that.

:shifty:

Kane Knight
07-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Jeff Jarretts Mexican Title is 6 sided lol

MExican title? First they took our jobs, now our wrassling!

Rollermacka
07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
They've got Scott Steiner, the stuff he says in more entertaining than anything Cena has said in years

Favorite recient Steiner quote "You've been screwing Hogan around, but now I'm here and I'm doing the screwin!"

Anybody Thrilla
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
That is not entertaining at all.

Jordan
07-29-2011, 07:34 PM
I read TNA signed a reality star to a contract. How many wrestling fans do you know that watch Big Brother or other equally useless realty shows?

Kane Knight
07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
That is not entertaining at all.

Don't you like everything?

Tom Guycott
07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
4) Video production 101, once you've established action going in one direction, don't cut to a camera that shows it going the other way. It's disorienting to the viewer.

Basketball games do the same thing, to use another example. If you have Kevin Durant driving to the rim going left-to-right and they go to a camera where he's now finishing his drive going to the left, it's incredibly distracting and takes you out of the moment. That's why it never happens.

Even in sports (-entertainment), there needs to be a logical visual flow to people's actions. Hence the hard camera to establish a "world" for them.

That's an excellent point... but your number 4 had nothing to do with the 3 things I listed. I noted 3 semi-acceptable times to have a cameraman on screen. You just listed a reason not to. Ruin'd the flow of my joke there, bud. Plus it applied more to the original question, so you should have just quoted Fred Bizkit insted.

As for "logical visual flow", the thread is supposed to be about Impact Wrestling. Therefore, "logic" and "flow" in the same statment is an oxymoron.

loopydate
07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Fair points all. I withdraw my quote :)

parkmania
07-29-2011, 07:47 PM
I read TNA signed a reality star to a contract. How many wrestling fans do you know that watch Big Brother or other equally useless realty shows?

I do, and I'll step up to the plate and say that this guy will be less entertaining than Johnny Fairplay.

Vastardikai
07-29-2011, 07:49 PM
WWE also signed a reality star to a contract. But that worked out for one reason...

And I'll let someone else drop that catchphrase.

Purgatory
07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I'll go ahead and say a decent women's division. The WWE's diva's might look better, but that's all there is to them. The TNA Knockouts actually wrestle.

Sting doing this psychotic joker gimmic is actually fairly entertaining.

Purgatory
07-29-2011, 09:14 PM
This is from Thursday's Impact!. Sting saved this whole segment.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9iAhiqO74D8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aguakate
07-29-2011, 09:23 PM
The only thing I like about TNA is how they give their female wrestlers a good amount of exposure and air time.

stultiloquy
07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Daff....oh...right. :(

Stickman
07-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Sting

Mister Sinister
07-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Shelley Martin.....Oh Nevermind.

Mr. Pierre
07-30-2011, 03:08 AM
This Sting character is pretty pathetic lol

Lock Jaw
07-30-2011, 03:12 AM
TNA: CROSS THE AXIS

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w8T3Kyemr-M/S78VrPrB_nI/AAAAAAAAAI8/dUbdRuWMIBY/s400/300px-180_degree_rule_svg.png

loopydate
07-30-2011, 08:01 AM
This Sting character is pretty pathetic lol

I'm waiting for the inevitable promo where he asks Immortal if they wanna know how he got those scars. Or Hogan why he's so serious.

Ultra Mantis
07-30-2011, 08:57 AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9iAhiqO74D8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, that was like a bad scene from improv class. Are all TNA's backstage segments like this now?

Anybody Thrilla
07-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, yes.

MIZantine Empire
07-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Well Other then shitty booking...

But that overhead camera shot. I love that shot, it lets you look at the match in a different way. It's nice for a change. We've been watching with the same 3 camera angles, well forever.

First person to find a pic of this overhead camera angle gets pos. rep and a handjob from Sting Van Dam

i know a majority of the time they dont show it from the other side is because thats usually the part of the arena they have tarped off. they dont want to show on tv the parts of the arena that only have like 100 fans and then black tarps, lol.

Big Vic
07-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Network "The X division is successful you should give it more air time"

Eric "WTF! this is terrible!"
---------------------------------
Anderson is now with immortal?

Fox
07-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Amazing lightweight matches. WWE has integrated their small guys with their big guys, and this is good for a few reasons, most notably that it allows for smaller guys like Rey, Christian and Sin Cara move up the card without first having to dominate the "cruiserweight division." However, it also takes away the amazing in-ring action we can come to expect when two cruiserweights of top caliber get into the ring together.

At least with TNA we know that no matter what, we're pretty much guaranteed to witness a quality fast-paced lightweight match.

Cool King
07-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Create your own average TNA segment.

Office + "Authority figure(s)" + Clusterfuck of wrestlers + Shaking camera + Unrehearsed lines + Mass amounts of yelling = Your Average TNA Segment.

Cool King
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
But really, speaking of the camera, wasn't the whole idea of the camera acting like it was "hidden" was to make the viewer forget the camera was actually there, or something like that anyway? :-\

If so, then that segment had Hogan walking past the camera in order to enter the room and then it had Sting leaving the room by walking towards the camera.

If it was supposed to "suspended disbelief", then why do it that way? Hogan would have seen the cameraman before entering the room. Everyone would have seen the cameraman as Sting was leaving the room and after.

Cool King
07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Also, Sting reminded me of "2002 Goldust" in that segment.

Next Big Thing
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Wrestlers on their roster who are eligible to receive food stamps.

Rollermacka
07-30-2011, 12:43 PM

We might not be talking about the same guy, but didn't the "Big Brother" wrestler already wrestle in early TNA / WWE territories?

Lock Jaw
07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
One of the biggest parts of me not watching TNA anymore is their shaky-cam backstage segments.

M-A-G
08-01-2011, 02:03 PM
They've got a crummy record with the fire marshall compared to the WWE.

DAMN iNATOR
08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
As of right now, a compelling main storyline.

thedamndest
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Holy shit at that entire segment. Ace Ventura doing the Joker is what Sting is.

KIRA
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Geez Sting looks like ICP'S Pimp

I will say his casual "yeah" when hogan asked if he was hiding in the room the whole time was pretty damn funny

Nowhere Man
08-03-2011, 09:45 PM
As weird and obviously derivative as it is, I'm actually kind of enjoying Joker Sting. There's something perversely entertaining about watching him ham it up with absolutely zero shame about the fact that they're ripping off a three-year-old movie.

Also, fake-Mexican Jeff Jarrett is hilarious to me, because BizarroKing has been doing that exact character in the C-Fed for like a year.

CSL
08-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't see a problem with "Joker Sting", some of the constants in professional wrestling will always be hammy acting and ripping things off from every walk of life only they're proclaimed to be negatives when it fits certain situations. TNA's production on the other hand is a whole different story but Sting is more enjoyable than he's been for god knows how long, much better than the long ago burnt out embers of the Crow Sting gimmick he was living off of.

chrisat928
08-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Something's going to get them sued by DC and Warner Brothers...

http://shoptna.com/sting---nervous.aspx

kareru
08-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Something's going to get them sued by DC and Warner Brothers...

http://shoptna.com/sting---nervous.aspx

lol, that t-shirt is awesome

MoFo
08-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Excitement.

St. Jimmy
08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
MCMG, Austin Aries, Samoa Joe. That's it.

MoFo
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Bully Ray

Beer Money

Gerard
08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
An Olympic gold medalist with a broken freakin neck!, Brotherrrrrrrrrrr