PDA

View Full Version : Smackdown Spoliers 19/08/2011

Tazz Dan
08-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Credit: Matt Turk/Pwinsider

*Teddy Long announces 20 Man Battle Royal to crown number one contender for World title. Randy Orton is out there for announcement. Cody Rhodes confronts Orton It ends with Orton nailing RKO on Ted DiBiase.

*WWE Intercontinental champ Cody Rhodes defeated Ezekiel Jackson.

*Justin Gabriel defeated Tyson Kidd.

*In a great match, WWE champion Alberto Del Rio defeated Daniel Bryan, who was cashing in his Money in the Bank contract. Bryan taps to rolling armbreaker. Sin Cara hits the ring to make the save.

*DARK SEGMENT: WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio insults Bakersfield. Triple H comes out and announces Del Rio & Christian vs. Orton & Sheamus. Triple H Pedigrees Ricardo.

*WWE Divas champion Kelly Kelly & AJ defeated Alicia Fox & Natalya. Fox and Natalya get into it and Fox ends up placed in Sharpshooter.

*Mark Henry throws out Sin Cara to win the Battle Royal and become number one contender. Orton and Henry face off.

Dark Segment:

*Orton and Sheamus defeated Christian and Alberto Del Rio. Sheamus chases Alberto to the back.

Tazz Dan
08-17-2011, 01:24 AM
So much for waiting till Wrestlemania :(

Captain of Fun
08-17-2011, 01:31 AM
cue smark nerd rage.

Lock Jaw
08-17-2011, 01:33 AM
WTF. I am no big fan of Daniel Bryan, but this seems like an incredibly wishy-washy move by the WWE. It is like they just realized that Daniel Bryan, aside from his technical skills, has little to no marketability at the moment, and pulled the plug on him.

Also, sounds like a "meh" show all around. Wade Barrett has a big PPV win, doesn't even appear on the show. No Sheamus. No Christian.

#1-norm-fan
08-17-2011, 01:36 AM
... wow.

Captain of Fun
08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
WTF. I am no big fan of Daniel Bryan, but this seems like an incredibly wishy-washy move by the WWE. It is like they just realized that Daniel Bryan, aside from his technical skills, has little to no marketability at the moment, and pulled the plug on him.

Also, sounds like a "meh" show all around. Wade Barrett has a big PPV win, doesn't even appear on the show. No Sheamus. No Christian.

They are probably in the battle royal, and there might be some backstage segments.

Only thing I can think of for Bryan, is that this is meant to plant seeds for a heel turn, so I will reserve judgement for now.

#1-norm-fan
08-17-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm gonna hold off to see it that was a mistake by the reporter.

Tazz Dan
08-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah I'm reading now it was non title.

Mr. Pierre
08-17-2011, 01:46 AM
I really hope that was non-title lol.

It would just make zero sense whatsoever. Besides the fact that it would be horrible for him, but also his briefcase is supposedly only used for the WHC (?). Wouldn't be the first (or last time) WWE just booked spontaneous loopholes. IDK, hope it's a false report

Chavo Classic
08-17-2011, 03:16 AM
cue smark nerd rage.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZgGziw8t1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corporate CockSnogger
08-17-2011, 05:33 AM
My first instinct was that it was a mistake in the report.

Juan
08-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Can't wait to see the match

Shadrick
08-17-2011, 07:06 AM
brb, gonna go beat my pretend wife

Shadrick
08-17-2011, 07:10 AM
But that would make no sense, since he's the SD Money in the Bank winner, cashing it in on Del Rio....I mean of course they can amend their own rules since they created them, but I'm not sure about the continuity of something like that.

Seriously, if they did let that happen can you imagine the future storylines we'd get with MITB?

Corporate CockSnogger
08-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Yeah just read two more reports that have no mention of Bryan cashing in his MitB. Relax lads, don't go smashing your keyboards just yet.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Although Bryan losing in any manner will still probably result in a few keys being broken regardless.

ClockShot
08-17-2011, 07:43 AM
So uh, what's with Triple H giving someone the pedigree again, for the 2nd week in a row, with the cameras off?

Battlekat
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
So uh, what's with Triple H giving someone the pedigree again, for the 2nd week in a row, with the cameras off?

Probably just to pop the crowd. I have no problem with it unless he starts jobbing people out on tv like that.

VSG
08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Of course it was non-title, Bryan has a contract for the World title.

VSG
08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I see Shadrick has beat me to it. Fucking Tazz Dan & family :foc:

Xero
08-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah, wasn't for the title.

From PWInsider:

Note: In last night's report it was stated that the Daniel Bryan vs. Alberto Del Rio match saw Bryan cash in his Money In The Bank briefcase. He did not do that. He brought it to ringside but did not cash it in. Therefore, his match with Alberto Del Rio was a non-title bout.

Here are some notes from the show.

Dark Match:

WWE announced Bo Rotundo from Bakersfield to try and get him the hometown pop. There were several Joey Ryan chants throughout the match.

NXT:

I was sorry I couldn't provide you some more details on the opening segment as I had no idea who Derrick Bateman or Maxine were. At least I remembered who Titus Young was. AJ and Hornswoggle had some decent chemistry, I guess. If they wanted to go with a trio of Maxine, Natty, and Beth and the big bullies of the division, it might be worth something.

Tyson Kidd gets the iron man award for the night, working 3 times. I hadn't seen JTG in a while, I was surprised by his improvement.

No idea where the Japanese letter is coming from or going.

Striker-Young pointed out the difference in guys who came up in the indys and who came up in the WWE system. Striker's facials were outstanding, even his selling of Young's finisher on the way to the back was a nice detail. When he came out later for color, he was still selling, that's something you don't see from the Tampa kids.

The main event-see earlier, no idea who Bateman was, plus the my cell was crapping out, so I really didn't have a reason to care.

Superstars:

It was a very pro Wade Barrett crowd which surprised me. I do think with enough seasoning he can make money for the company. I think Trent Barretta can continue to rent since he can bump really well off the big guys.

Granted the local kid they had in there with him looked like one of my men's soccer players, but Brodus Clay is a monster. I don't know if he can talk, but you can't teach size.

Smackdown:

Nice response for Teddy Long on the way out. I still don't get Orton, probably never will, but the guy was out early this morning selling the show to our local media, so he gets mad props. I really like Cody, his American Psycho character is different. Orton RKO'ing Teddy De-Bu-See reminded me of the Indiana Jones movie where Indy shot the guy with the whip after his show.

I really liked how they tied the end of the segment where Cody demanded a title shot with Orton into a rematch with Ezekiel Jackson. I really wish there were managers still around to pair somebody who can talk with EJ. It was a nice back and forth with Cody winning, it keeps him strong if they want to pair him up Orton down the road.

Coming out of the break, WWE did a good job of promoting Justin Gabriel with a solid piece, it got me interested in a guy who I didn't much of heading in. Tyson Kidd is a solid worker and both guys were good. Again Kidd has great cardio.

It was time for a Zack Ryder cameo. Tied it into winning the 20-man battle royal later.

I liked not knowing where Alberto Del Rio was headed after it was announced Rey Mysterio wasn't in the building (a note, there was kid who was Rey J's doppelganger in the next row complete with the tattoos). The match with Danielson was awesome, really stiff on both ends. Sin Cara 2 was interesting choice to make the save, but it set him up for later in the night.

ADR insulting a primarily Hispanic crowd got him heat and Triple H coming out to make the dark match (although it wasn't clear at first) got him the biggest pop of the night.

Jinder Mahal/Kali in the back, whatever.

The Divas match, standard. Felt bad for Natty since can work and the other 3 can't. Trust me, I didn't mind having Kelly Kelly standing in front of me for 5 minutes, but at least try and make the punch look real girl.

Here's the manic part of WWE creative for me. I thought they told a really good story in the Battle Royal. Mark Henry is a monster. His promo prior to the match established how mad he was in being in a BR when he felt he proved he was the No. 1 contender. Henry went through the ropes about 7 minutes in and anybody who was thrown out near him was destroyed. Sin Cara 2 kept getting more and more support and it came down to four. Henry, Sin Cara 2, Wade Barrett and Shamus. Henry getting the duke was the right call and the confrontation at the end should come out really well on TV.

Give credit to Sheamus, guy goes 10-12 minutes in a battle royal and comes right back out for the dark match. Standard, RKO by Orton to Christian (again selling his injuries from last night, subtle, but appreciated) sends everybody home happy.

VSG
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Teddy De-Bu-See

VSG
08-17-2011, 09:12 AM
No idea where the Japanese letter is coming from or going.

??

Ermaximus
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I hope Henry wins the WHC and holds it to at least Royal Rumble.

Riker
08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
I like it. Screw the Haters. I love Monster Henry.

Theo Dious
08-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Teddy De-Bu-See

...Ted Diabeetus?

http://youhadbetterknow.com/knowledgezone/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/diabeetus.jpg

Lock Jaw
08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Damn. Too bad. Between yesterday and now, I had come to terms with Bryan losing the briefcase.

In retrospect, I would rather him lose it now, and start some sort of "Frustrated Daniel Bryan" angle, then I would have him anywhere near the main events of Wrestlemania.

Jura
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Need to screen people who make these reports.

Rock Bottom
08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Never thought I'd see Mark Henry going after a main title. It is about time they've sent him somewhere with the monster gimmick.

Gertner
08-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Damn, I was so jacked to see that vanilla midget fail.

GD
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Daniel Bryan has a contract for the World Heavyweight title and not the WWE Championship. No wonder.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Never thought I'd see Mark Henry going after a main title. It is about time they've sent him somewhere with the monster gimmick.

This isn't the first time he's gone after one of the main titles.

Lock Jaw
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Daniel Bryan has a contract for the World Heavyweight title and not the WWE Championship. No wonder.

Like that would stop the WWE.

Ermaximus
08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
This isn't the first time he's gone after one of the main titles.

I was about to say the same thing. This may just very well be a payoff for all his years in the company. Then again, Christian still has his rematch clause so I'd expect that sooner or later. I just hope Henry wins. A monster heel champion that dominates everyone could be great, but we'll likely instead get Henry destroys people, then faces Orton and has him beat, but Orton wins out of nowhere.

SammyG
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
19/08 huh

Ermaximus
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Dude Sammy, the English always post the date before the month. So for us in America it would be 08/19, but they read it as the nineteenth day of August so 19/08.

EDIT: Even though Tazz Dan is Australian so, I guess they do it there too.

Emperor Smeat
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Henry vs Orton feud is going to be a very interesting test for Orton to see if he can be as good with Henry as he was with Christian (and Punk before) because his feud with Christian brought out some of the best work from Orton in years.

The initial report almost made it seemed like Ryder's weekly announcements was suddenly dropped until the detailed report mentioned he still does it.

SammyG
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Dude Sammy, the English always post the date before the month. So for us in America it would be 08/19, but they read it as the nineteenth day of August so 19/08.

EDIT: Even though Tazz Dan is Australian so, I guess they do it there too.
I realize this, I lived in Greece 15 years. BUT THIS IS AMERICA GET WITH IT

CSL
08-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Like that would stop the WWE.

It shouldn't stop WWE, only people that I ever see or hear assuming that a guy on a certain brand can only cash in on his certain brand are wrestling fans.

Londoner
08-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I realize this, I lived in Greece 15 years. BUT THIS IS AMERICA GET WITH IT

Americans and their stupid backwards ways.

Supreme Olajuwon
08-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice of TL to take a break from his looting and rioting to come in here and give his opinions about Americans.

Corndad
08-17-2011, 03:08 PM
I love how Bryan has great match after great match and he still gets flack from haters. I would have been shocked if they had used the cash-in since they just used Alberto's on Sunday.

Hope Christian doesn't get lost in shuffle, I think a feud with Sheamus would be really beneficial.

Londoner
08-17-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm enjoying Bryan as of late, thank god the first report was wrong.

Ermaximus
08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Considering how Bryan said he was cashing in at WM, I kind of figured that Matt Turk is/was an idiot. Then again, he does play for the Jaguars now so yeah.

GD
08-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Daniel Bryan needs to bring back his old theme music

<iframe width="560" height="30" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f0KWrncxeag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Droford
08-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I had this nasty thought of Mark Henry eventually beating Orton for the title (probably the following HIAC PPV) and then rematches with everyone he's taken out or beaten over the last couple months (Sheamus, Big Show, Kane) and have him hold on to the title all the way to WM where he'd face a MITB cashing in DB in a "David vs Goliath" style match.

If someone from WWE is reading this..please dont do that..

#1-norm-fan
08-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I had this nasty thought of Mark Henry eventually beating Orton for the title (probably the following HIAC PPV) and then rematches with everyone he's taken out or beaten over the last couple months (Sheamus, Big Show, Kane) and have him hold on to the title all the way to WM where he'd face a MITB cashing in DB in a "David vs Goliath" style match.

Hmm...

Ermaximus
08-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Actually do this, but with Jimmy Uso instead.

Shadrick
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Droford, thats really not THAT horrible idea aside from the fact that Henry would be the champ for far too long.

Ermaximus
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Droford, thats really not THAT horrible idea aside from the fact that Henry would be the champ for far too long.

So you'd rather have Orton win the title every other PPV instead?

Tazz Dan
08-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Fuck everything else that happened in the show. William Regal was in the battle royal :love:

I can see how someone might have thought Bryan was cashing in by his promo before his match too.

Evil Vito
08-19-2011, 07:52 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Not a huge deal or anything but lol @ the SmackDown 20 man number 1 contender's battle royal not even having 20 people in it. Sounds like there were only 19.</font>

VSG
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Actually do this, but with Jey Uso instead.

Droford
08-19-2011, 08:42 PM
which is exactly why its a bad idea

I think they should have held off Henry's title shot push, keep the feud with Sheamus going a while longer. Then they could have put Henry vs Orton in a Table match at TLC and he could have a shorter run..plus you could put all the people he's taken out in the Elimination Chamber match instead of 1 on 1 matches.

Skippord
08-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Aksana talking about gangbangs

Skippord
08-19-2011, 11:33 PM
god I hope Del Rio calls Daniel Bryan a chihuahua right here

Skippord
08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
"Kelly Kelly just axed her 'CAN I HAVE THIS DANCE?'"

god I love Booker T

Flash Funk
08-20-2011, 01:43 AM
The Usos took some nasty bumps tonight... Mark Henry for WHC!

Aguakate
08-20-2011, 01:44 AM
I didn't know "uso" is "brother" in Samoan...

...so they're name is basically "The Brothers"...

The Naitch
08-20-2011, 05:02 AM
I really like Droford's idea. Hell, if they've been pushing Henry this strong for this long, they might as well go all the way with it. It'd be a waste for him to just lose to Randy Orton after a title shot or two, only to just fade away into midcard hell.

It'd be nice to add some more depth to Henry by adding some stablemates or an alliance with Teddy Long.

I'd love to see Henry walk into WrestleMania defending the WH Championship.

Aguakate
08-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Mark Henry's GOTTA be the longest-tenured guy WWE has right now, behind Undertaker and HHH, right?

That's crazy.

Ultra Mantis
08-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Hey Wade Barrett brought back his awesome jacket cape. Why have I not seen this huge development being mentioned anywhere? Did he have it at Summerslam?

XCaliber
08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey Wade Barrett brought back his awesome jacket cape. Why have I not seen this huge development being mentioned anywhere? Did he have it at Summerslam?

He did and I was really hoping he was gonna win that BR so Sheamus could continue to feud with Henry for a little while longer. Might as well give him more momentum even though it's gonna come to a screaching halt when Orton squeaks out a victory on him. Thought it was pretty stupid to have the only 4 guys to make an entrance were the remaining 4 in the match don't get me wrong the match was good but the booking was less to be desired.

Mr. Nerfect
08-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Here's how I would book Mark Henry vs. Randy Orton:

* Mark Henry cuts a promo on SmackDown! next week about how he smelled fear on Randy Orton last week. Orton should be afraid, because nobody can stop the most dangerous man in the WWE. And Teddy Long, Triple H, Johnny Ace -- it doesn't matter -- the suits better be hoping Henry beats Orton at Night of Champions, so he can get what has been coming to him for fifteen years. Because that's the only way this is going to stop. It's the only way people aren't going to be hurt no more. The last is Randy Orton.

Orton comes out and corrects Henry. "You're not the most dangerous man in the WWE...I am." Orton says that the reason he's won 9 World Championships by the time he's 31, while Henry has won none, is just because he's better. Orton says he knows Henry is going to be a challenge -- but Orton will hit him with an RKO at Night of Champions and get the win. And then -- not to avenge anyone -- but for his own personal satisfaction -- Orton is going to go to that corner, take aim at Mark Henry's head...and kick him so hard that his reign of terror will be over. His career will be over. Henry actually seems to sweat this.

* En route to Night of Champions, Randy Orton beats Ted DiBiase in a match requested by DiBiase to prove himself after getting the RKO. Daniel Bryan also gets a match against Mark Henry, since Bryan didn't get his spot in the Battle Royal. Henry beats Bryan, and looks to put him out after the match, but Orton comes in and nails Henry with an RKO.

* Yeah, that sort of stuff goes on, and we get a tag match pitting Cody Rhodes & Mark Henry against Orton & Bryan. At Night of Champions, Bryan beats Rhodes to win the IC Title and Orton RKOs Henry to retain the World Heavyweight Title. Orton is lining up the punt when Christian attacks and lays out Orton. We get a Hell in a Cell between the two to finalise their feud, and Henry moves on to a pissed off Kane.

XL
08-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I think Henry's shot will be on next week's show and Christian will interject himself due to him not getting his rematch. Add Sheamus to the mix due to his ongoing fued with MH and you have a Fatal Fourway for the title at Night of Champions.

Mr. Nerfect
08-21-2011, 12:28 AM
That is more likely.

Juan
08-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Watching this right now

Juan
08-21-2011, 04:09 AM
You know it's the mack militant

Juan
08-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Tyson Kidd is so good. Wish they'd invest some time in him

Juan
08-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Fucking awesome match between Del Rio and Bryan

DaVe
08-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Henry is a huge beast. Throwing that Uso right through the table, and into the commentary team easy as you like.

Ultra Mantis
08-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Hunico has done a great job as Sin Cara, I like him more than Mistico.

VSG
08-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Fucking awesome match between Del Rio and Bryan

Ya, I actually watched it once more immediately after it was over.

Rammsteinmad
08-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Can't believe people here are getting excitied over Mark Henry. Okay, as a monster destroying people it works, and it's believeable... but a potential World title reign? And people are alright with that?

XL
08-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I won't be jumping on that particular bandwagon. MH winning the Battle Royal was dissapointing for me. I wouldn't mind him as part of a multi-man match at NoC, though. Especially as they "have to get as many names on the card as possible".

Anybody Thrilla
08-22-2011, 10:34 AM
It shouldn't stop WWE, only people that I ever see or hear assuming that a guy on a certain brand can only cash in on his certain brand are wrestling fans.

Actually, Josh Matthews was teasing that Alberto Del Rio was going to cash in his Money in the Bank when he was on Smackdown before Summerslam, and Michael Cole and Booker T made fun of him because neither CM Punk or John Cena was in the building. I think they're sticking to their guns on this one.

CSL
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
lol that's a pretty strange co-incidence that you posted that today, I literally watched that match with that reference randomly out of the blue about 3 hours ago when visiting a friend (Bryan vs. ADR right?)

Anybody Thrilla
08-23-2011, 06:17 PM
That's the one.