PDA

View Full Version : Expansion of the term "worked shoot"

Tom Guycott
08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
It's always a work. Even when it's real, it's a work.

In the time it took me to find that quote, I forgot how I wanted to word this. :( Bear with me, it will be less than my own standard, but I'll try to get the point across almost as well as I intended.

The above quote came from the Gail Kim thread. Seems odd to me that Gail Kim gets released RIGHT BEFORE Nattie & Beth become the female LOD: the women's division getting a shot in the arm she has been asking for the day after she leaves. Even at that, the announcement of her release seemed a bit contrary to how the 'E usually words things. This may be coincidental timing, but...

Sin Cara gets suspended for 'roids or weed or something. We get a similar looking guy (especially with the lighting treatment) who moves totally un-similar, and the announcers go out of their way to pretty much announce that this isn't the same man under the mask. Speculation leads to a Cara vs. Cara match similar to Taker vs Taker, just with more flips...

The obvious stuff with Cena "threatenin"g Vince with joining TNA and Punk mentioning people who got fired, and now WWE trademarking "Mr. Future Endeavored" (if I were a betting man, and this moniker applied to someone other than Laurenitus, I would go with my favorite guy in Chris Masters... who's been suspended and/or fired more than THAT guy?),

What I'm getting to is this: do you think that WWE is trying to attempt to use the internet, and their own site at that, to work everyone? I've mentioned before that the stereotype of basement dwelling IWC community being limited to 8 people circle-jerking on America Online is long dead, and that since the web is pretty ubiquitous anymore in the form of tablets, phones, and interactive-fucking-everything, those same 8 year olds in Cena shirts have acces to the same info that the hardcore "smarks" have. Maybe they're catching up to that?

I mean, I'm in the minority who believes that Danielson was only "fired" on paper with a wink and a nudge to avoid a massive backlash of negative PR. Think on this logically: why would you release a guy, then EXACTLY at the end of his non-compete agreement, inexplicably welcome him back AND give him a championship? Smoke screen. Just in that case, it was more of a tactical maneuver for sponsors and a certain political campaign than angle. Punk "leaving with the belt" after his contract expired was an absolute work, and following through with that threat made it an AWESOME work, but the fact that WWE.com took down his profile and treated him (for a couple of weeks, anyhow) like he was Chris Benoit (in that he "didn't exist") made it even better.

We can already see they're starting the move towards long term booking and story arcing angles that can reach beyond the very next PPV. Does anyone think this is another element to that, or just a large dose of happenstance?

I open the floor to youse guys.

Wishbone
08-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Huh..... that actually made me think. You could very well be right that WWE is using the internet as a way to make marks out of us all again. I mean think about it was there one of us on this forum that didn't freak the hell out when Punk did his first 'shoot' on RAW? And honestly the DB thing was a perfect example of something like this possibly being true. Not gonna say it is yet but if this were I wouldn't be all that surprised.

Tazz Dan
08-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Gail Kim hasn't officially been released. She has just stated that she has quit ;)

C O N spiricy!

The Naitch
08-18-2011, 01:51 AM
the evolution of pro wrestling

Majunior
08-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, it IS obvious the wrestlers themselves are aware of and obviously using themselves. Cena mentioning his workrate, his five moves of doom, and him becoming a heel are perfectly fine examples of that.

It was only a matter of time that the upper echelon, even though they may hate dirt sheets and the IWC, would agree to use the internet as one more medium.

Tom Guycott
08-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Gail Kim hasn't officially been released. She has just stated that she has quit ;)

C O N spiricy!

I meant to put "released" in quotes like I do with DB being "fired" and putting the asterisk after Henning*. But yeah, I meant the announcement of her "quitting" came with the string of releases, and she didn't get the standard "future en[TRADEMARK'D!]" spiel. Leaves there being the possibility of this being a work, and she comes back to somewhat save the day, eventually get destroyed by the Divas of Destruction, and then get the assist from the returning <s>Kong</s> Kharma.

Didn't say it's a fact, but the door is open for some such scenario.

*Old joke, same result.

RVDmark
08-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Well, it IS obvious the wrestlers themselves are aware of and obviously using themselves. Cena mentioning his workrate, his five moves of doom, and him becoming a heel are perfectly fine examples of that.

It was somewhere around that point I realised that Cena must have a TPWW account. The irony being since he mentioned it his matches and workrate have imrpoved big time.

It was only a matter of time that the upper echelon, even though they may hate dirt sheets and the IWC, would agree to use the internet as one more medium.

Again more fun from WWE, for years they have hated on the internet fans, yet they were perfectly willing to plug wweshopzone.com till the cows come home.

Gertner
08-18-2011, 04:18 PM
lol Vince Russo must be furious, since that's all he did in WCW

Jaded-Dragon
08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Of course they are. It's already been proven; a celebrity that posts something on twitter means it is 100% fact. WWE has finally caught on to the fact that they can use the internet to their advantage. Welcome to 1997 WWE!:y:

The MAC
08-19-2011, 03:09 AM
I thnk even the shoot interviews that are supposed to be so unkayfabe have a little bit of work in them. I guess the guys don't mind getting slagged off by one another in shoot interviews...unless their name is Hogan.

Sonofanarchy
08-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Wrestlers are using it themselves and getting over that way(dirt sheet, z true whatever stories, crime time had one)... when i was 13 i was on TPWW and I'm sure all these kdis are on WWE.com, they're watching the original programing just like we listened to byte this back in the day, the difference now is every fan

The past few months (year really) they've been ttalking about the internet wrestling fans and its one of those things were the people who are once the elite are the norm, there's prob less wrestling fans that don't use the internet that do. I bet (much like I go months doing) a lot of people don't even watch and just go on result's and dirtsheets/forums to get the gist of whats going on.

Indeed,They're putting programing on the website to atract people to come to it and getting micheal cole to make fun of internet wrestling fans(reverse psychology).

and of cours you aren't the only person to think that about Daniel Bryan(they even let him use that licenced-music in the indy's)

PS: I hope this Dianna Hart and DH Smith stuff is another case of internet work... leading up to a return of him and teddy Hart do a reunion with Tyson kid and natty. But some time in Japan did his father some good maybe its a blessing is disguise

Theo Dious
08-21-2011, 08:29 PM
WWE turned PG to try to snag the kids back in. Apparently somebody figured out that kids these days are born with Cat 5 cables instead of umbilical cords, and that it's a matter of time before you're just as likely to find an internet smark in 2nd grade as 12th.