PDA

View Full Version : WCW's greatest moments

Splaya
08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I watched the Very best of WCW on Netflix and was impressed actually. Never watched WCW back in the day as I was all WWF. Post some video's of their greatest moments in here guys so I can come to appreciate them more. Would love some NWO moments and Sting moments.

P.S. After watching some Sting promo's I love the man

CSL
08-23-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113927

Filled with nWo as well as Sting and other bits, only gotten as far as December 96 though so far. Still plenty there until you get more responses in here though.

LuigiD
08-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I believe the Netflix version is missing a bunch of stuff. So if you are interested you could also buy the actual thing.

Shisen Kopf
08-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Robocop saving stinger was the best thing ever! Wooooo Robocop!

Asmo
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Ok... i remember watching this on TV, and marking the shit out as it was happening, but don't quite remember what exactly happened. I'm guessing this was Nitro, sometime in 2001/02 - Steiner and the NWO (i think, might've been some other faction) were in the ring trash talking to DDP (who was at the Turnertron area). So Steiner says he's got backup, and shows off his posse in the ring, and DDP says, he's got backup as well - the only man who's been beating Steiner since he was a kid - cue Rick Steiner coming out. Then DDP brings out Nash (Could be Booker T as well) and someone else as his backup and they brawl (i think).

Major props to anyone who can pinpoint when this happened and link me to a video if possible. I'm guessing this was Thunder, since the set was largely blue (I really don't remember).

Graspbymyself
08-24-2011, 10:55 AM
For me it was the Best of Seven series between Booker T and Chris Benoit for the US Title. Those matches were not only increasingly better with every match but was also different with every bout, and it really propelled the two wrestlers as Main Event material even to the clueless big wigs that ran WCW.

MVP
08-24-2011, 11:01 AM
One of my favorite moments was at the end of Uncensored 1997 when Sting came down from the rafters and laid waste to everyone in the nWo. Huge markout moment for me.

DLVH84
08-24-2011, 01:14 PM
For me it was the Best of Seven series between Booker T and Chris Benoit for the US Title. Those matches were not only increasingly better with every match but was also different with every bout, and it really propelled the two wrestlers as Main Event material even to the clueless big wigs that ran WCW.

I believe it was for the #1 contendership of the TV title.

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I thought it was actually for the US title, but it may have been the TV title. I doubt it was number one contendership, though. Who the fuck has a best of seven series just to earn a title shot?

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes, TV championship, not contendership.

BigCrippyZ
08-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I thought it was actually for the US title, but it may have been the TV title. I doubt it was number one contendership, though. Who the fuck has a best of seven series just to earn a title shot?

TNA :lol:

BizarroKing
08-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Yea it was for the TV title but WWE decided to take the idea and redid it years later for the WWE US Title between Booker and Benoit, maybe that's why you thought it was for the US belt.

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
TNA :lol:

Oh phuck, that's totally BFG :lol:

Rammsteinmad
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Wait, wasn't the original Best of Seven for a title shot at Fit Finlay's TV title? Not the title itself?

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 04:08 PM
NOW I AM JUST ALL CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!

Rammsteinmad
08-24-2011, 04:13 PM
The best of seven series was for a TV title shot. Booker won the series and then beat Fit Finlay (I think) for the title.

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 04:14 PM
I thought that the point of the Television title was that it was defended at every television show. If those matches were going on for number one contendership, who was Finlay defending his title against during that whole time? At least seven people would have leap frogged Booker T and Benoit for title shots if that were the case...unless that stipulation was completely in my head.

Rammsteinmad
08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Also, in relation to this thread, I find it really hard to think of WCW's greatest moments. The problem is that back in 90's a was a huge WCW>WWF mark (even though I loved WWF), but I was a only a young child back then, so of course I marked out for everything. If I look back now, most of what were 'awesome moments' were fucking awful NWO-fests or victories that come after half the roster had made a run-in.

Not saying WCW didn't have great moments, but it's hard for me to really decide what legitimately was a great moment, and what was just a mark-out moment.

Hope that makes sense. :y:

Rammsteinmad
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I dunno. This is just something I read-up on Wikipedia. I was right, but I have no idea about the Finlay thing or anything else.

In the spring of 1998, Booker began feuding with Chris Benoit. Benoit cost Booker the TV title during a match against Fit Finlay. As a result, Booker and Benoit engaged in a "best-of-seven series" with the winner meeting Finlay for the title. After seven matches and interference from Bret Hart and Stevie Ray, Booker T won the series, and on June 14, regained the Television Championship.

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Goldberg beating Hogan for the World title on Nitro in Atlanta was a great moment. Even though I didn't particularly care for it, Luger winning the title (was that from Hogan too?) and scrubbing the "nWo" letters off of it was a great moment or something. Every moment that "Lightning Foot" Jerry Flynn was on TV was a great moment for wrestling fans everywhere.

Rammsteinmad
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
You see! That's what I'm talking about. Luger beating Hogan was the greatest thing ever when I was an 11-year-old mark, but I watch it back now, and instead of seeing a legit 'great moment' I just see 'two has-beens hogging the spotlight past their prime' etc... It was and is a great moment, but a change of perspective has taken a lot of that away from a lot of truly great WCW moments.

CSL
08-24-2011, 04:38 PM
but there is nothing wrong with those moments, Luger ending Hogan's heel reign was great, "out of the blue", unexpected etc you're just looking at these things through those internet tinted glasses. Your initial perspective was the "right" one.

Anybody Thrilla
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Jerry Flynn was amazing then, and he is amazing now.

CSL
08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd like to think Jerry Flynn fights crime now, randomly showing up topless in alleyways and karate kicking thieves and thugs in the chest before disappearing into the night.

Rammsteinmad
08-24-2011, 06:44 PM
With a ponytail.

captaincharismark
08-26-2011, 07:23 PM
You see! That's what I'm talking about. Luger beating Hogan was the greatest thing ever when I was an 11-year-old mark, but I watch it back now, and instead of seeing a legit 'great moment' I just see 'two has-beens hogging the spotlight past their prime' etc... It was and is a great moment, but a change of perspective has taken a lot of that away from a lot of truly great WCW moments.

Yeah, back when I was 13 watching the Luger/Hogan match for the WCW Title, it seemed so much better then. Looking back, it upheld the two guys past their prime keeping young guys down definition that ridiculed WCW. While I'm sure that will always be considered a big moment for WCW, it doesn't hold up now.

One of my favorite moments was when DDP "pretended" to join the nWo, then hitting the Diamond Cutter. Strangely though, Bret going to WCW barely made an impact...

Rammsteinmad
08-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I pretty much ejaculated when Bret Hart appeared in WCW, (though being a ten-year-old mark at the time, if I did actually ejaculate nothing would have cum out :shifty: )

Anyways, anytime I look back at Bret in WCW stuff, all I see is a complete joke. Bar one or two matches, his WCW career was a joke.

My views on great moments has been tainted by the internet. :(

Stickman
08-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Bret was pretty good in wcw with the lack of direction he was given.

Malfeitor
08-26-2011, 11:27 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jkbp-AyDDZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

captaincharismark
08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I pretty much ejaculated when Bret Hart appeared in WCW, (though being a ten-year-old mark at the time, if I did actually ejaculate nothing would have cum out :shifty: )

Anyways, anytime I look back at Bret in WCW stuff, all I see is a complete joke. Bar one or two matches, his WCW career was a joke.

My views on great moments has been tainted by the internet. :(

Bret's best moment in WCW in my opinion was his Owen Hart tribute match with Benoit. Every other Bret Hart moment in WCW seemed like filler. A shame considering he won the WCW Title and formed the 10 millionth version of the nWo. All good ideas for him, but terribly executed for the Excellence of Execution...

I guess I'm yet another tainted fan spawned by the evils of the net:rofl:

Anybody Thrilla
08-27-2011, 03:13 AM
I enjoyed Goldberg spearing Bret Hart, only for his chest protector to be revealed.

Stickman
08-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I enjoyed Goldberg spearing Bret Hart, only for his chest protector to be revealed.

That was fantastic.

CSL
08-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Just watched that segment again last nightm, Bret himself calls it his "defining moment".

captaincharismark
08-27-2011, 04:04 PM

Next to Bret's match with Benoit, this was one of the few times WCW did something awesome with Bret Hart. I know I marked out big time for the moment, since it was a nod to westerns and Back To The Future III. Plus, it just fit Bret's character so well to outsmart Goldberg(one of the few times Goldberg looked invulnerable in WCW)...

Loose Cannon
08-27-2011, 08:22 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jkbp-AyDDZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

love this.