PDA

View Full Version : Linda for Senate Take Two: This Time Double the Dream Skits!

Innovator
09-14-2011, 09:20 AM
http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Round-2-McMahon-to-declare-U-S-Senate-candidacy-2169290.php

By this time next week, Republican Linda McMahon will formally be in the hunt for the U.S. Senate seat of retiring incumbent Joe Lieberman of Connecticut in 2012, reprising a candidacy for the same office undertaken last year by the wealthy matriarch of professional wrestling.

McMahon, 62, is scheduled to announce her entry into the race next Tuesday, multiple sources confirmed to Hearst Connecticut Newspapers.
McMahon's handlers still haven't settled on the venue, though a person familiar with her plans said a manufacturing plant was a leading candidate to host what will be a jobs-oriented speech by the 2010 Republican Senate nominee and Greenwich resident.

Chris LaCivita, a spokesman for McMahon, who fell 11 points short to Democrat Richard Blumenthal last year despite a $50 million personal investment in the race, declined to comment Tuesday.

A number of political operatives characterized the timing of the announcement, which they said was moved up, as a pre-emptive strike by McMahon against her likely GOP primary foe, former U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays, R-4th.

Shays declared his candidacy in August but can't start campaigning until the end of the month, when his stint as co-chairman of the federal Commission on Wartime Contracting concludes.

That will give him seven months to curry favor within the GOP ahead of its May 2012 state party convention, something former U.S. Rep. Rob Simmons, R-2nd, was unable to do in 2010. Simmons went on to lose to McMahon in the August primary as well.

"I'm going to fully participate in the convention, with the intention of winning it," Shays said. "But I appreciate the fact that, win or lose the convention, that ultimately there's going to be a primary. I am going to keep my eye on the ultimate contest. There's no point in winning the convention and losing the primary."

Shays strongly intimated that he won't be tacking to the right either.
"I'm going not going to try to win the primary to lose the general election," said Shays, who lost his seat of 21 years in 2008 to Greenwich Democrat Jim Himes.

Republicans are already scrambling to pick sides in what is shaping up to be a nationally watched primary tilt.

Do they choose the former chief executive of Stamford-based WWE and self-made millionaire in McMahon, who ran on a platform of job creation but was dogged by questions about wrestlers using steroids and ultimately struggled to make inroads among female voters? Or do they go with the self-proclaimed centrist and establishment candidate in Shays, who was assailed for his support of the Iraq war and had his trust betrayed when his former campaign manager embezzled $250,000 from his coffers in his last run?

Republican Tom Foley, who fell short in last year's gubernatorial contest against Dannel P. Malloy, is throwing his support to his fellow Greenwich Republican McMahon.

"She ran a very credible campaign," Foley said. "She was totally committed in her time and resources she was willing to put in. She had a statewide ID and she had a respectable showing."

Foley couldn't make a similar case for Shays, who was the last GOP incumbent in the House when he was defeated in 2008.

"Chris, he doesn't have statewide name ID," Foley said. "Can he raise the money particularly if Linda is his opponent?"

Former Lt. Gov. Michael Fedele, a longtime Shays ally from Stamford, sees things much differently.

"My concern is that Linda spent a lot of money in the last campaign and didn't win," Fedele said. "My sense right now would be, based on his background and what he's done, that Chris Shays could win this race."

Cross-over appeal and electability trump resources for Fedele, who lost the 2010 GOP gubernatorial primary to Foley.

"I like Linda. She's a friend. (But) we have to look beyond the primary," Fedele said.

The only declared candidate on the Republican side so far is Hartford lawyer Brian K. Hill, a former U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corps officer who lives in Windsor.

The Democratic field consists of U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy, D-5th, former Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz, state Rep. William Tong of Stamford, Sylvester Salcedo of Orange and Lee Whitnum of Greenwich.
Chris DePino, a former state GOP chairman-turned-lobbyist, welcomed McMahon's entry into the race.

"Getting McMahon in the race is the singular best thing that could happen to the Republican Party right now," he said.

Senate Minority Leader John McKinney, R-Fairfield, whose late father once held the same congressional seat as Shays, is undecided.

"Clearly I think she is probably going to be a better candidate than she was the first time, just through experience," McKinney said of McMahon.

But, he added, "Two years ago in the nominating process, I think Republicans thought an enormous amount of money was going to bring a significant advantage. We've learned it does -- it's an absolute necessity in politics -- but it's not the only factor and it's not the most important factor."

Former Yale University political science professor Donald Green, who now teaches at Columbia University, said McMahon must improve on her cost-to-vote ratio.

"I think one of the lessons in the year in which she ran, whether it was Connecticut or California, very, very well-funded candidates went down in flames," Green said.

Read more: http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Round-2-McMahon-to-declare-U-S-Senate-candidacy-2169290.php#ixzz1Xvt1M2Mx

James Diesel
09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
I hope this doesn't effect as much as it did last time

Supreme Olajuwon
09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
This can only lead to great things.

Innovator
09-14-2011, 09:42 AM
I hope we get a month straight of Vince dream skits where he shits himself after waking up from a coma.

James Diesel
09-14-2011, 10:30 AM
lol end of the dream, Punk is in charge of WWE. That's what'll wake him up. However, in reality (kayfabe) Punk is in charge at the time. Leading the WWE into a whole new direction, away from McMahonamania

Perry Saturn
09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I forsee this

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/86/3329161d56b84b14bb9f27cd320a9788/s.jpg

http://www.wrestlingdeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/vince_mcmahon_vs_barack_obama.jpg

JimmyMess
09-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Great for her.

Bad for <s>wrestling</s> WWE from a fan's perspective

Theo Dious
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I hope this doesn't effect as much as it did last time

The only thing it "effected" time was a bunch of crybaby fans who got to make up another wrestling boogeyman who could take the blame of their discontent.

Of course what would I expect from someone who was so easily tripped up by a second-grade-level homophone?

Aguakate
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
I hope Vince doesn't start another "Stand up for WWE" campaign, as he did last time. It became OBVIOUS he was just using the fans to help Linda's Senate Campaign, 'cause once she lost, we never heard of "Stand up for WWE" ever again, and that really irked me.

Droford
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Vince should be Trumps VP

Trump/McMahon 2012

Kane Knight
09-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh shit, WWE's going G!

Nah, how retarded would you have to be to think wrestling was impacted by the last campaign....

Great for her.

Bad for <s>wrestling</s> WWE from a fan's perspective

Oh.

Aguakate
09-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I guess we won't be hearing the word "ass" anymore again...

Xero
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh shit, WWE's going G!

Nah, how retarded would you have to be to think wrestling was impacted by the last campaign....

Oh.

You really saw absolutely no impact to WWE last time? Or are you just looking for a cheap "JimmyMess is retarded" post, despite it making you look ignorant?

Xero
09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
The only thing it "effected" time was a bunch of crybaby fans who got to make up another wrestling boogeyman who could take the blame of their discontent.

Of course what would I expect from someone who was so easily tripped up by a second-grade-level homophone?

Seriously? You don't find it odd that WWE institutes the no blading rule, complete with referees checking them with gloves and stopping the matches, at the exact time Linda was running? And then it mysteriously disappeared right after the election was over? Also, WWE just "happened" to go REALLY PG during that time, only for them to seep back into an edgier product after the election was over. And let's not forget the whole segments (as in, 5-10 minute video packages) devoted to what WWE does for charities. What happened to those segments?

Anyone who doesn't think it impacted WWE really needs to get their heads out of their asses. Did it kill WWE? No. But it absolutely impacted WWE.

Aguakate
09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Seriously? You don't find it odd that WWE institutes the no blading rule, complete with referees checking them with gloves and stopping the matches, at the exact time Linda was running? And then it mysteriously disappeared right after the election was over? Also, WWE just "happened" to go REALLY PG during that time? And let's not forget the whole segments (as in, 5-10 minute video packages) devoted to what WWE does for charities. What happened to those segments?

Anyone who doesn't think it impacted WWE really needs to get their heads out of their asses. Did it kill WWE? No. But it absolutely impacted WWE.

People know this, I think they're just looking to stir it up.

Kane Knight
09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh Xero, lying again.

VIVA CONSPIRACY!

Innovator
09-15-2011, 12:06 PM
KK I thought you don't watch anymore

Kane Knight
09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't have CABLE anymore. Doesn't mean I don't watch. In fact, I made a thread about where I could get it since my fave youtube channel got yanked a few months ago, if you feel the need to "check up" on me.

However, Xero was talking about last time, so....

Innovator
09-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Nah I just couldn't remember.

Supreme Olajuwon
09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
There's probably some connection with the restrictions and the campaign, but Tedious is right when he says the campaign is pretty much a scapegoat for bad writing/programming.

There's always been this false dichotomy amongst wrestling fans that the PG movement is causing bad wrestling and removing the PG label would solve everything. But anyone who watched WWE in the last decade knows that they can produce some absolute shit even without the restrictions.

People can blame Linda's campaign all they want but there is no reason why the WWE can't put on good programming even with the restrictions. The problem always has been and will probably continue to be shitty/lazy writing. And no ratings change is going to solve that.

Xero
09-15-2011, 04:03 PM
100% agree with that. They could absolutely make a GREAT product within the PG rating, and I don't blame the rating on the shitty booking.

Kane Knight
09-16-2011, 04:20 PM
People can blame Linda's campaign all they want but there is no reason why the WWE can't put on good programming even with the restrictions.

Similarly, there's a reason they can't put on a good show even without the restrictions, which was the problem before Linda became that awesome scapegoat.

Like you said, bad writing.