PDA

View Full Version : And when you least expect it, a post about Rob Conway

Vastardikai
09-14-2011, 10:54 PM
First off, I have a bit of a buzz going on, so forgive me.

I'm posting about something that just hit me, and it was about a horrible gimmick that failed to get over: "The Con-Man" Rob Conway. We had the little term for it: "Conway heat." I mean, he came out and worked to absolute silence. At this point, I actually consider the gimmick a success.

Wait, what?

Yes, the gimmick was successful in a sense. WWE creative had nothing for him, so he made up his own gimmick and put work into making his gimmick successful. And above all else, it was actually given television time.

I'm not gonna say the gimmick was of Austin, Rock, or even Punk levels of success. I mean hell, I'd be the first to say it flopped with the audience. I call it a success because he actually gave it a shot. How many of the WWE guys are given shit gimmicks, do what they can with them, and are simply released when WWE Creative has nothing else for them? A metric shit-ton. How many of the WWE guy are told that there's "nothing for them" and decide to create something for themselves? Very few. It wasn't a delusional "Javy-Juice" like scenario that would be D.O.A. with anyone that has sense. It was a different character that they saw and said "Hell, why not?" As fickle as the industry is, it could have just as easily been a drawing gimmick as it was a flop.

Discuss, flame me to fuck and back, whatever. I'm drunk and I don't care.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't really know what you're saying, but I enjoyed the Con Man gimmick. Also, his theme music was amazing. I saw him work at an indy show last year at a bar. He lost to Dean Jablonski in a match for the company's inaugural heavyweight title. He worked as a face and did not use the Con Man gimmick.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Come on, just...look at him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y9pfLLg0khs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vastardikai
09-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't really know what you're saying, but I enjoyed the Con Man gimmick. Also, his theme music was amazing. I saw him work at an indy show last year at a bar. He lost to Dean Jablonski in a match for the company's inaugural heavyweight title. He worked as a face and did not use the Con Man gimmick.

I was saying that the gimmick didn't get over, but he came up with something on his own, without Creative. It didn't work for the average fan, but it could have. I was giving him props for making his WWE run last longer than it would have by any rational standard.

I feel like I'm turning into Noid, but the guy could work, he had a decent look, and there was a chance. I'm just saying he was successful for trying when he could have just took what he was given (which wasn't much).

His theme is greatness, though.

Side note: I am sure you're ribbing me, but I'm drunk enough to try to argue the point.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I liked Conway. Seriously. I really saw him in that match. I shook his hand and said "thanks for the show" afterward.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
We got a "THANK YOU CONWAY" chant started among the ten or so people that were there and into it.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I enjoyed him during his La Resistance run too.

KIRA
09-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Come on, just...look at him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y9pfLLg0khs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its amazing just how many people with minimal effort it seems are better singers than Jeff Hardy.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
:lol:

That wasn't Conway singing, was it?

thedamndest
09-15-2011, 02:10 AM
I would like to see Rob Conway return to team with Evan Bourne and be called Con Air.

thedamndest
09-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Or I'll just watch Con Air.

Extreme Angle
09-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Was thinking about this guy the other day, such a cool guy... If the tag division is being revamped then bring back La Résistance...

Cool King
09-15-2011, 05:22 AM
:lol:

That wasn't Conway singing, was it?

Nah, it was a singer called Phillip Namanworth that sang Conway's theme.

Cool King
09-15-2011, 05:25 AM
But I'm pretty much the same as you Mr. Thrilla.

I really liked Conway.

I loved his gimmick and his theme. I wasn't too happy when he got released though.

Autobahn
09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
looks so different now...

http://theironmanrobconway.com/images/main.jpg

MVP
09-15-2011, 09:11 AM
http://theironmanrobconway.com/images/main.jpg

http://wwwcdn.channel5.com/assets/images/000/009/490/full_left_column_5_TV_PHO_00116.jpg?1301321637

Innovator
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
What is it with TPWW and loving horrible gimmicks from 2005?

Xero
09-15-2011, 09:42 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/Wrestling/vp20051.jpg

JERRY
09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
rob conway - diamond in the roughs. talent massive look great but time need more.

wwe shoulf grab conway again and make conway and cody rhode team in beauty people wwe team!

Gertner
09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Jerry brings up an excellent point

Vastardikai
09-15-2011, 02:21 PM
What is it with TPWW and loving horrible gimmicks from 2005?

I made the post celebrating the fact that he came up with the gimmick on his own and it actually got television time. It didn't necessarily get over, but he gave it a shot.

Horrible gimmicks come up with by worker themselves > Horrible gimmicks come up with by Creative.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
That time was the beginning of the end for over-the-top gimmicks, and they were glorious. Now, there's nary a gimmick to be found. Gimmicks like the Con Man were nice shouts to gimmicks of the past like "The Model", for instance.

JERRY
09-15-2011, 02:47 PM
That time was the beginning of the end for over-the-top gimmicks, and they were glorious. Now, there's nary a gimmick to be found. Gimmicks like the Con Man were nice shouts to gimmicks of the past like "The Model", for instance.

Cody Rhodes are not as like "The Model" ??? I think so

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, his "Dashing" gimmick was pretty close. Gimmicks don't run as rampant as they once did, though.

OldSchoolFan
09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
rob conway - diamond in the roughs. talent massive look great but time need more.

wwe shoulf grab conway again and make conway and cody rhode team in beauty people wwe team!

Holy crap when did JERRY get his Caps Lock button fixed? It's just not the same anymore...

parkmania
09-15-2011, 06:12 PM
He might have been better off if he'd had a different wardrobe for the gimmick. When your target audience are 12-25 year old American males, coming out in see-through trunks while your entrance music says "Just look at me", sexual insecurities just come to the forefront. And while the gimmick may have been patterned after Rick Rude, Conway didn't have the chops on the mic to pull it off.

Mr. Nerfect
09-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I was also thinking of Rob Conway the other day. I loved the guy. He was a great worker, and he oozed personality. I would personally love it if he returned and declared that he was going to teach these "young guys I'm still in better shape than" how to be a Superstar. And he's going to do it his way...The Con Way.

Anybody Thrilla
09-18-2011, 01:01 PM
All right, now you're pushing it.

DAMN iNATOR
09-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Yes, yes it was. The slow piano in the background with those lyrics was just outstanding.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ZeBbS8TDuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The fact that it was Randy Newman singing made it all the more awesome as well.