PDA

View Full Version : When was Jericho "Made"

Xero
10-23-2011, 05:48 PM
There have been many times when Jericho was "just" about there, then was pulled back for whatever reason.

When he won the Undisputed title is the obvious first choice here. There can even be an argument made for his WWF debut, considered he started out interrupting The Rock to an enormous pop. Then there was the Shawn Michaels match at Mania 19.

After every one of these, he was pulled back considerably afterward. However, I feel that the Michaels match did solidify him as a guy they could always go to, so in a sense he was made there. But I do think the case can be made that he didn't "make" it until his Save_Us era, because it was at that run that he became a main eventer for life and in the eyes of majority of fans.

So, when do you feel Jericho was "made"? And you may define "made" for yourself here.

*Cue DLVH with Jericho being made when he won the WAR tag titles with Gedo.*

DLVH84
10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I would have to say the Super J Cup match against Wild Pegasus Chris Benoit, as it gave him a lot of attention from big-time American promoters, and ECW was the first to give him the chance.

Corporate CockSnogger
10-23-2011, 06:05 PM
lol DLVH just completely ignoring the question asked.

St. Jimmy
10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't think he has been made yet. He's this guy who's almost there, and can be featured in his own program: but he's not Austin, Triple H, Flair, Hogan level. No one has ever had that much faith in him, company-wise. Jericho and Punk are on the same level, almost company faces.

Sixx
10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
When he won the WAR tag titles with Gedo, cause it gave him a lot of attention.

Kris P Lettus
10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
When he hired Ralphus..

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li4ljf3BW81qgudl3o1_500.png

Sixx
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I sometimes wonder if Ralphus is still alive, and if he is, what he's up to.

Skippord
10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
def greeting at walmart

Destor
10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I think his WWF debut was really the moment when everyone had to say that Jericho was legit.

Destor
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I would have to say the Super J Cup match against Wild Pegasus Chris Benoit, as it gave him a lot of attention from big-time American promoters, and ECW was the first to give him the chance.thats when he got his break, being made is completely different.

Destor
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Being made is more about popular (american) opinion viewing you as a contender/potential draw.

Corporate CockSnogger
10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
For me, any time following his feud with Triple H with the title win that never was, he could believably be put into a main event feud and win the title.

Poit
10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
"I am a larger-than-life living legend, first ever Undisputed Champion."

That.

Testicle
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Probably the heel turn and feud with Michaels in 2008, I believe that this was the first time the company really believed in him and thus was 'made.'

Mr. JL
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
When he hired Ralphus..

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li4ljf3BW81qgudl3o1_500.png

Lock Jaw
10-23-2011, 06:56 PM
And you may define "made" for yourself here.

Well, it all started with his father, Ted Irvine. Ted, like most Canadians, was a professional hockey player. He met Bonnie Davis, the two fell in love and married.

On their very wedding night, after a long and exhausting party, the two retired to their hotel suite and Chris Jericho was made that very night.

mike adamle
10-23-2011, 07:08 PM
His WCW title match at No Mercy 2001, that's when he was made.

Sixx
10-23-2011, 07:52 PM
thats when he got his break, being made is completely different.

I guess you don't know DLVH.

You don't talk to him like to a normal person.

Destor
10-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I guess you don't know DLVH.

You don't talk to him like to a normal person.as those who know me i mostly watch Puro but foprtunately im not a mark tho so that doesnt get in the way of me using logic.

Shisen Kopf
10-23-2011, 08:14 PM
The correct answer is when he won that match against that guy on a Raw episode in 2000. Remember that?

Sixx
10-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm just saying that explaining anything to him is pointless.

Shisen Kopf
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
And the match I am talking about is when he "beat" HHH only to be screwed over. Close thread now.

Destor
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
gotcha

Shisen Kopf
10-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Yeah, no matter what, that gimp just posts about some goofy match from Japan in the early 90s.

Jari
10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Any excuse to actually post the video of the greatest debut in the history of Monday Night Raw:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/32OPyEAraU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In saying that I think his feuds with Benoit and HHH were the pivotal points in letting everyone know that Jericho was a real talent that could hang with the best.

Jari
10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
There was also great signifcance in this moment. We know he had major detractors backstage but even they couldn't have ignored the reaction he got that night.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lMFyeoVmqcg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
:heart:Y2J:heart:

Pintint
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I will go with the Y2J debut in the WWE, immediately confronting The Rock. That gets you made there, especially since he held his own against undoubtedly one of 2 biggest wrestling stars of that time.
Things got better/worse after that, but Jericho was made as a main eventer with that debut imo.

Emperor Smeat
10-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Undisputed title victory since out of all the choices possible, the WWE went with Jericho as their choice for first ever undisputed champion.

Everything else before helped during his rise with the WWF debut being the real boost after WCW crushed his feud with Goldberg even though the fans really wanted it to occur after starting out as joke.

The debut showed he could be as good as The Rock with the promos and the "never happened" title victory over Triple H showed the crowd thought he was worthy of a reign based on their reaction during and after the match.

XL
10-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Pretty much agree with Xero's opening post here. There were a few spots where he had HUGE moments but they never seemed to fully capitalize on them.

His debut was massive and could have sparked a fued with one of the biggest names to ever set foot in the industry, instead he went on to fued with Road Dogg and then Chyna.

He had the huge Reversed Title Win on Raw and a follow-up Last Man Standing Match with HHH...which he lost.

Even being made the first Undisputed Champion turned kinda sour as the fued became about HHH and Stephanie and his Mania Main Event was overshadowed by Hogan/Rock.

For me, he became a "Go To Guy" or a guy they could put the title on at any point when he won the WHC as a late entrant in the Championship Scramble Match at Unforgiven 2008. That coincided with the long-running fued he had with Michaels.

(Of course, that reign involved dropping the title to Batista before winning it back and losing it to Cena is Cena's return match from a 3 month lay-off so it's not all good).

Just seemed to me that adding him as a last minute replacement and having him win said "this guy could win it at any moment".

The MAC
10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
jerciho was made when his father put his penis inside jericho's mother. He was the fastest sperm who defeat all the others to be the undisputed fertilizer of the egg.

Corporate CockSnogger
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Great joke The MAC!!!

Jordan
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Well if you've read his latest book you know that Vince never REALLY gave him the ball until he brought it a few months after his return match with JBL. During that feud he was directionless and floating, then he went into the program with HBK and was "made".

The closest to this would be his feud with Cena before his departure years earlier.

Jordan
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
AND I expect him to have to be "made" again when and if he returns, I'm smelling Y2J going for the Streak this year.

McLegend
10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
His feud with Dean Malenko.

The Show Off
10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
His feud with The Rock when he won his first ever championship.

jskinnyg
10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Any excuse to actually post the video of the greatest debut in the history of Monday Night Raw:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/32OPyEAraU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In saying that I think his feuds with Benoit and HHH were the pivotal points in letting everyone know that Jericho was a real talent that could hang with the best.

Thank you...

Rammsteinmad
10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I'd probably say his Raw debut.

XL
10-24-2011, 02:13 PM
His feud with The Rock when he won his first ever championship.
Queue DVLH to explain how he won championships in Canada/Mexico/ECW/WCW/other belts in WWE before he beat The Rock.

Of course, any normal person would know you meant first ever World Championship.

The Show Off
10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Queue DVLH to explain how he won championships in Canada/Mexico/ECW/WCW/other belts in WWE before he beat The Rock.

Of course, any normal person would know you meant first ever World Championship.

Even if that would have been a dick thing to have to bring up, I really should have said I was talking World Championship.

I think a lot of people say his Raw debut because he was made to look like a big star with that entrance. So perhaps if you mean "Made" in the sense of star power that might be your moment. But if you mean "Made" as in became a main eventer than you have to go with his feud with The Rock in the last quarter of 2001. Perhaps even before that when he was going for the title against Austin before that, but I think defeating The Rock was the moment he was made.

Nicky Fives
10-24-2011, 06:52 PM
His feud with Michaels in 2008..... He was very close in the Undisputed Champion era, but a lot of people didn't take him seriously until he rammed HBK's head through the Jeritron 5000.....

DLVH84
10-24-2011, 07:38 PM
How about when he beat Triple H for the WWF Championship.

Mr. Nerfect
10-25-2011, 04:15 AM
His feud with Michaels in 2008..... He was very close in the Undisputed Champion era, but a lot of people didn't take him seriously until he rammed HBK's head through the Jeritron 5000.....

I second/third/fourth/whatever this. Jericho had some great moments that really SHOULD have made him. He had the greatest debut in WWE history, well, ever -- and he was the man who beat Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock in the same night to unify the WWE and WCW Championships. But safeguards were put in place, for whatever reason, to make Jericho a whiny, chickenshit heel champion that had somehow more to prove after he won the titles than he had before winning them. By the end of 2002, Y2J was absolutely lost.

The moment that Jericho reached a point where he could have legitimately won a World Title out of nowhere was the program he was having where he actually did win a World Title out of nowhere -- his second rivalry with Shawn Michaels. And if I had to pick a defining moment, it'd have been his nod to the Barbershop window incident where he tossed Shawn Michaels' skull into the Jeritron 5000, and forever shed his "entertaining" persona, and became "Why So Serious?" Jericho.

Now, towards the end of that run, he was putting over guys like Evan Bourne cleanly -- but he still had the audience in the palm of his hand whilst doing so, and all he'd really have needed to do was sign a new contract and stick around and I guarantee we'd have seen more Chris Jericho reigns. He was a Made Man then, whereas back in, say, 2005, I was pipe-dreaming if I suggested Jericho take the WWE Title from John Cena.

XL
10-25-2011, 04:48 AM
The moment that Jericho reached a point where he could have legitimately won a World Title out of nowhere was the program he was having where he actually did win a World Title out of nowhere -- his second rivalry with Shawn Michaels. And if I had to pick a defining moment, it'd have been his nod to the Barbershop window incident where he tossed Shawn Michaels' skull into the Jeritron 5000, and forever shed his "entertaining" persona, and became "Why So Serious?" Jericho.
Hey! That's what I said. :)