PDA

View Full Version : Musical episodes in non-comedic tv series

Emperor Smeat
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Do you find them entertaining or a bit annoying in comparison to the rest of a tv series?

For example today's episode of Sanctuary is going to be just a musical episode but the entire series itself is more sci-fi or stuff unrelated to music/comedy.

Comedic series can use music as part of a joke and cartoon series usually have musical episodes.

Lock Jaw
11-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I think it has to have some comedic element to the show at least to work.

Like Buffy or Xena. They can't be classified as comedy shows, but they both did have comedic elements to them. So they could get away with it.

It would be a bit weird if a no-nonsense show like... I dunno... Battlestar Galactica did a musical episode.

Kane Knight
11-25-2011, 06:36 PM
I think it has to have some comedic element to the show at least to work.

Like Buffy or Xena. They can't be classified as comedy shows, but they both did have comedic elements to them. So they could get away with it.

It would be a bit weird if a no-nonsense show like... I dunno... Battlestar Galactica did a musical episode.

Don't know about Xena, but I agree on Buffy. It worked because the show's already somewhat comedic in nature. The song and dance routine works well with their world-altering magic and sometimes campy, light-hearted approach to things.

A straight show with a musical number is going to suck. Almost certainly.

Plus, musicals already should be avoided. I keep thinking of that musical episode of Daria, which was godawful. And that's still a comedy show.

DrA
11-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah they're bad enough when a comedy show does them.

Kane Knight
11-25-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm hard pressed to name five good ones.

Skippord
11-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I want Breaking Bad to do a musical episode.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Only Buffy is acceptable as stated earlier since it is a bit of a comedy and magic (it was a spell that did it.) I would like to see a Psych musical episode maybe if it made sense with a musical criminal.

I think Glee has killed the musical in television for the foreseeable future.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Didn't Fringe have a musical episode? I've still only seen the first season so I don't know how well it worked/was received.

As already mentioned though, Buffy's Once More With Feeling was great.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Also I dunno what Lock Jaw's talking about, I would love to see dancing Cylons.

Kane Knight
11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Only Buffy is acceptable as stated earlier since it is a bit of a comedy and magic (it was a spell that did it.) I would like to see a Psych musical episode maybe if it made sense with a musical criminal.

I think Psych would probably do a good job parodying a musical number, considering the sendups they've done of other genres and tropes.

PapaGeorgio
11-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Oz did a musical episode. But the music wasn't a part of the main storyline, rather used during the narration cut scenes. I found it entertaining.

El Vaquero de Infierno
11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
There should have been a musical episode of 24. I'm imagining Jack Bauer going all broadway whilst torturing somebody for information, or a dramatic song before he had to execute Chappelle.

Kane Knight
11-26-2011, 04:31 PM
There should have been a musical episode of 24. I'm imagining Jack Bauer going all broadway whilst torturing somebody for information, or a dramatic song before he had to execute Chappelle.

I would have totally watched that.

Skippord
11-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Psych is doing a musical next season apparently

so there's that

Kane Knight
11-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Awesome.

Nowhere Man
12-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Though you must admit, it would be frakking incredible to see a big kick-line of Cylons.

Kane Knight
12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Though you must admit, it would be frakking incredible to see a big kick-line of Cylons.

Would it look something like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rNXj-SCx5dY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Sorry Swiss, the new version has Jack Harkness in it)