PDA

View Full Version : XBox Live update?

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 07:49 AM
From what I read, it's supposed to be today. I guess I wrongly assumed it would have happened after midnight. Anyone have any ideas?

#BROKEN Hasney
12-06-2011, 08:05 AM
It's usually a gradual roll-out serving different areas at different times to make sure the server doesn't die.

Kane Knight
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
It's usually a gradual roll-out serving different areas at different times to make sure the server doesn't die.

What Has sad. It'll happen sometime today for you, but it's not going to start the second you turn it on (necessarily).

#BROKEN Hasney
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/hollywoodh/f9e6d6b1.jpg

Whoops

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I was wondering was all. I had actually forgotten all about the update being soon, and read something about it last night. Got excited. lol

Thanks, guys.

Kane Knight
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I was wondering was all. I had actually forgotten all about the update being soon, and read something about it last night. Got excited. lol

Thanks, guys.

Looking forward to that Kinect integration?

Nah, I kid. I do plan on browsing the new content and checking out the cloud save feature.

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
No Kinect here. I just haven't gotten around to getting one and probably wont. I'm lookin forward to all the new content.

Kane Knight
12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't have the room for a Kinect. At 6'5" I need like 30 feet of free space.

So I've never put serious tought into it one way or another.

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
That's yet another problem. I don't have the room, nor do I really feel persuaded to rearrange.

That and as cool as it looks, I really think it's lazy enough that I can turn the system on with the controller from the couch. I really don't need to be able to tell it to turn on and what I wanna watch.

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 09:05 PM
UPDATE: According to their forums, it has started launching and will continuie over the next several hours. Also, alot of their promised content won't be online till early January (Youtube, HBO and quite a few others), allegedly not Microsoft's fault, but that of the content providers.

DaveBrawl
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah mine is updating as we speak.

DaveBrawl
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Well type...

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
nice. I just had mine on, no update as of yet. I'll try again in a bit.

Kane Knight
12-06-2011, 10:40 PM
The update's available but won't let me download.

Captain of Fun
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Same here.

Kane Knight
12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't mind so much except, since it knows there's an update and I haven't downloaded it, it won't let me connect to Live.

DaveBrawl
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
It cut me off from live when I was in a game, I thought it was just my connection dropping but when I hit connect it cut my game off. :lol:

It finished shortly after I typed that, not a bad look, but I don't like it as much as the last one. The layout is easier to navigate though.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Won't let me sign on to XBL right now says an update is ready though. Guess I don't get the Rock yet.

RoXer
12-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Keep trying, mine is downloading now

Captain of Fun
12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
I was able to download the update, but now it won't connect to LIVE.

Was really down for some BF3 tonight too. Curses.

Purgatory
12-06-2011, 11:38 PM
I turn mine on and it doesn't prompt for an update at all. Can I manually check for one?

Shisen Kopf
12-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Can't connect to xbl after the update. This is one shitty update.

Captain of Fun
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Go to xbox.com and agree to the new Terms of Agreements, after that, press the Connect to Xbox Live and you should be able to connect to it now

This worked for me, though it took a couple tries to finally connect.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
It took a bit, but mine connected eventually. Overall, I dunno what to make of the interface. It seems a bit more cluttered.

I tried Netflix and the changes there were incredible. Again, a mite cluttered, but the interface is cool.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Anyone know what Epix is? I'm guessing another movie type app.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Randomly getting booted offline now....I think it has to do with the amount of updating and all that. Should clear up in a day or two, I reckon.

Gonzo
12-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Had some trouble with my connectivity to Live after the update. I installed Netflix again and now I can't get into Netflix.

Netflix loads up fine, but then it prompts me to sign into a gold account, which I already am, and for some reason Netflix doesn't recognize my connection to Live. As soon as I go back to the home screen I'm signed back into Live.

Annoying. To say the least.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Anyone know what Epix is? I'm guessing another movie type app.

There is a movie station on cable called Epix. Not sure if they are the same but its basically just another Starz with hit movies.

Shisen Kopf
12-07-2011, 12:51 AM
What the fuck is going on now? Now just download Netflix and now I am logged off XBL again and can't connect. This is pretty bush league Microsoft. I demand a free game or I'm gonna rage quit to PS3!

RoXer
12-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Any news on how much they'll charge for UFC PPV's? Still around $60?

Funky Fly
12-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Seems like Avatar props and themes have become less prominent. New layout is a little weird. Also what is the deal with the bing search? Do we have a browser now or some ish?

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Nah, it just searches content on Live.

The Rogerer
12-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Some improvements, some problems, still too much noise and advertising.

Funky Fly
12-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Between the Live update and the Skyrim patch released today, one or both of them is making my game freeze a lot now. Twice in an hour.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Signed in without an issue this morning, so it seems things have quieted down enough that it stays signed in. Everything else seems to work alright, otherwise.

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Randomly getting booted offline now....I think it has to do with the amount of updating and all that. Should clear up in a day or two, I reckon.

I had to download the update four times, though after the first download I had the new dashboard. There were some serious issues with Live last night.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Never had any problems before, but after the update it now won't read any discs without a fight. Had to eject Skyrim 6 times to get it to read and now WWE '12 is being a pain in the ass

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Aaand now it won't do anything at all. I've tried Skyrim, MW3, WWE '12 and L4D2. Everything is unrecognized

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Mine's booting up slower, period.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Mine takes a minute or so of signing in to my profile on the dash before it'll even pop up the usual guide box thing that says it's connecting to Live or whatever

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 12:44 PM
The new update causes RROD.

Just like the last one and every popular game ever.

:shifty:

Emperor Smeat
12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
It looks nice but it took a couple of sign-ins and loads just for the update to be initialized.

Don't like how my games are now in 2 separate areas instead of just 1 list like before (quick play and my games) although at least they didn't change the home button mini-menus.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
The new update causes RROD.

Just like the last one and every popular game ever.

:shifty:

Hmm...no issues with that at all. I've had it running since 7am this morning.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 02:40 PM
So after replying to a thread on the support forum that I was having the same problem, getting the typical troubleshoot/submit for repair BS and then explaining that our problem is not the 360 and that the issue came after the update, we just get another troubleshoot or submit for repair reply. Joy

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Hmm...no issues with that at all. I've had it running since 7am this morning.

":shifty:"

Emperor Smeat
12-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Looks like the new terms of service from the dashboard update are almost similar to what Sony and EA did with their services in limiting the ability to sue. Although like the other two companies, only the US is actually affected with the new restriction terms.

Besides restricting the ability to create a class-action lawsuit, Microsoft now only claims liability of $5 for Gold members and $0 for Silver/free members should any problems occur from the update.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/07/new-xbl-eula-prevents-class-action-suits-limits-liability-to-5/

Chavo Classic
12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Had no problems with it at all. Took a while to connect to xbox live, but only as I had yet to agree to the new terms and conditions.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Now they're telling me there's "nothing to indicate the update is at fault" despite the thread now growing with more people in the exact same situation, and that I'll have to pay to have it repaired. HA, fuck you guys this is what I have a PS3 for

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Now they're telling me there's "nothing to indicate the update is at fault" despite the thread now growing with more people in the exact same situation, and that I'll have to pay to have it repaired. HA, fuck you guys this is what I have a PS3 for

Yeah, because Sony has such an awesome track record there.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 07:18 PM
My point being that at least it's working right now

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Give it time.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah I'm hoping it'll be fixed soon, but it's just infuriating that right now they won't even acknowledge it being from the update. I'd be more willing to be patient if I was being told they were working on it, but I'm not even getting that. I'm essentially being told this problem is on me in some way and that my broke ass will have to find a way to pay for it

Kalyx triaD
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Guide button still presents the old school blade system, even though the new dash is essentially an elaborate version of it. I've had no problems (save for the media options being way out of the way). Ads still front and center but they're easier to avoid.

Beacons are nice. Sorta saves time announcing what you're down to play. About 2mins of time but whatever. Have no use for Bing. The Apps thing is confusing and there isn't a clear path to XBLA games. Indy games get the shaft again.

I love that the main portal for playing whatever you have in the tray is regulated to a box smaller than some of the ads.

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah I'm hoping it'll be fixed soon, but it's just infuriating that right now they won't even acknowledge it being from the update. I'd be more willing to be patient if I was being told they were working on it, but I'm not even getting that. I'm essentially being told this problem is on me in some way and that my broke ass will have to find a way to pay for it

Give it a week.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
About that long, I'd say. No issues still. We've been watching Netflix nearly all day, taking an hour or two out to play Forza. Other than a new menu that takes getting used to, I haven't had any issues except for minor sign problems in the beginning.

Netflix's aspect ratio seems off though. Movies seem bigger, almost too big for the screen. Their menu system is alright, but not as crisp and clear as the older one. That, however, is totally Netflix's fault. That was the interface they gave MS to add in.

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I'll stick with PS3 for Netflix unless they royally fuck it up.

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm never trusting Sony again after their hacking fiasco. I prefer the one time payment of $60 a year over Sony's 'free' internet that supposedly requires that you have some kind of credit card/debit card info.

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, I have a credit card on file to use the Netflix app. :wtf:

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not saying for that. I know alot that put it in so they can pay for stuff through their PS3. One of my friends said it was a requirement at one time, but dunno about that.

FearedSanctity
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeeeah, had it since a month or so after launch, never been a requirement as far as I know

Purgatory
12-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok, that's good then. I still won't use them.

As of right now, I'm liking the new Dashboard. I've been on XBox's site since last night reading about issues others were having that I didn't have. Signing in was a bit of a pain, but all's been good since this morning. I think it was just that most of them got so used to the horrid NXE, that a new change seemed alien to them.

ALTHOUGH, they've been advertising Youtube, HBO and few others that would be included, but none of them were. They said sometime in January, more than likely by the time the Spring Update rolls out. Ah well

Kane Knight
12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm not saying for that. I know alot that put it in so they can pay for stuff through their PS3. One of my friends said it was a requirement at one time, but dunno about that.

I have friends who say a lot of false shit, too.

Yessika
12-08-2011, 03:14 AM
Looks like shit to me.

Honestly though, it looks unfinished, and therefore looks really bad.

You have this decent layout (Windows Mobile anyone?) on top of a good looking 3D background, but the layout just looks pasted on, it looks very unrefined/unfinished, like someone just stuck some paper squares on top and was done.

Kalyx triaD
12-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Okay.

Kalyx triaD
12-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Sensationalist internet critique.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-08-2011, 05:46 AM
I like it better than the last design. It's functional, that's the main thing.

It could be worse anyway, it could be PSN. Love their content, hate their store layout with a fiery passion.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-08-2011, 05:47 AM
And even that could be worse, right Nintendo?

Evil Vito
12-08-2011, 07:34 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Netflix doesn't work for me anymore after the update. :( Was enjoying mooching off of somebody else's account.</font>

Kane Knight
12-08-2011, 07:45 AM
And even that could be worse, right Nintendo?

Indeed, O'Hasney.

Purgatory
12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
lol yeah. If it turned out anything like Nintendo's, I'd sell my 360.

Vito, did you try uninstalling the app and redownloading, then reactivating? Unless they're keeping track of how many usernames one account is signed into now, which doesn't make sense either. Suppose someone has more than one console in their house, which would mean two different gamertags. Netflix just fucked everything up this time around

FearedSanctity
12-19-2011, 07:36 AM
So, an update to my issue, just in case anyone else has it to some other varying degree because it's not always as bad as I got it.

The issue is apparently the update causing problems with how the Xbox detects pirated games. In some cases it causes everything to come up as "Unrecognized", but more common is it reading newer games like Skyrim as "Unrecognized". This info comes from a few support people, though the majority still claim the drive is broken and needs repair, as well as XNA developers. Because apparently Microsoft is communicating with them better than those with the actual problem.

So now I have to wait until whenever they feel like rolling out another update. Yay.