PDA

View Full Version : Back To The Future Time Travel Discussion

Penner
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Although I love these movies and they are actually probably my favourite movies in the world, I've been thinking about a couple of mistakes that the movies made, maybe by accident or on purpose I don't know.

1. In BTTF 2, when Old Biff steals the delorean to go back to 1955, hand himself the almanac, then return to 2015, shouldn't he return to a 2015 that is corrupt/dystopic as when Marty and Doc return to 1985 and find the same thing?

2. In BTTF 3, if Marty sees that in the past that Emmett was buried by his beloved Clara, then how is the ravine still named Clayton Ravine in 1955/1985? Isn't the only reason that Clara and Doc got together is because Marty was back there and they were scoping out the railroad tracks leading to the survival of Clara Clayton and their subsequent relationship?

I hope people on this forum love these movies as much as I do.

Captain of Fun
12-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Nobody cares, Penner.

GOD

Xero
12-31-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.moviemistakes.com/film107/questions

Question: We see Biff groan in pain as he returns to 2015 with the stolen DeLorean. In a deleted scene we actually see Biff fade away as he is erased from existence by his actions. I assume this is because an alternate Biff now exists (or could have been killed) and so he is erased from time. If this happens to Biff, why doesn't this happen to Marty, Doc, and Jennifer? They too are replaced by alternate versions of themselves when they return and even before they return to 1985a. 1985a Biff even says in the film that Marty was in school in Switzerland, and Doc has been committed, so they too should fade away as Biff did, shouldn't they? I would say "time" was giving them time enough to correct things like in the 1st movie, but Biff faded away almost a soon as he arrived back in 2015a.

Answer: Biff faded away because he completely changed his own past. When Marty, Doc, and Jennifer return to 1985, they're returning to the alternate timeline that Biff created. They still exist and remember their own history because without it, Biff's timeline couldn't exist and a paradox would be created.

Kane Knight
12-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Some Back to the Future Wiki has actually worked out the timeline in a way that makes sense. Or so they say.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-31-2011, 09:49 PM
He groaned cause sometime in the future Lorraine gunned him to death.

Kane Knight
12-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I do not think they made these mistakes on purpose.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-31-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't think anybody would care that much but they keep yammering on and on in the DVDs that they have the best scientific time travel movie.

Kane Knight
12-31-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't think anybody would care that much but they keep yammering on and on in the DVDs that they have the best scientific time travel movie.

http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BTTFTimelines.png

Never underestimate the power of the internet, son.

Kane Knight
12-31-2011, 10:35 PM
(demonstrating why I'm unsurprised people care)

Xero
12-31-2011, 11:16 PM
He groaned cause sometime in the future Lorraine gunned him to death.

I'd not heard this before now. Why did she gun him down? Aside from being a huge old perv and probably trying to get with her, I mean.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM
For being a shitty ass husband or she found out the truth about who killed George. It was mentioned somewhere on the DVDs.

Xero
01-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Oh, wait. So old Biff didn't get shot but 85 alternate (well, second alternate rich) Biff?

Malfeitor
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Continuity errors. Aren't they a bitch?

Kane Knight
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Continuity errors. Aren't they a bitch?

Just like Sascha.

JimmyMess
01-07-2012, 02:06 AM
As Butters would say it

"OWw.... that hurt my brain..... oww...."

Thinking about time travel makes that for me.