PDA

View Full Version : Why was the WWF allowed to use certain wrestlers on the last WCW Nitro

Mr. JL
01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
The WWF owned WCW but as we are all aware the WWF opted out of purchasing the outlandish contracts of Goldberg, Sting, Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner and whomever else that had guarenteed contracts no matter what, but they did pick up some contracts.

My question is why then was the WWF allowed to use guys like Flair, Sting, Steiner, Rey Mysterio on the last Nitro despite them still being contracted to AOL Time Warner?

Tom Guycott
01-23-2012, 11:48 PM
From what I understand, the show was already booked, and everybody was supposed to treat it like it was "just another Nitro"; as if there were going to be a follow-up on what was already going on the next week. (Obviously, there wasn't, but still...) The only portion of the show that was "re-witten" was the simulcast ending with Vince about to fire everyone and Shane walking down the aisle at the WCW location.

I guess all of the "big boys" could have sat on their asses, but I guess chalk that up to work ethic. The Flair/Sting match didn't have anything to prove other than poetic symmetry.

DLVH84
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Well, my guess is they were fulfilling their contractual obligations.

BollywoodSingh
01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Didn't the whole show get re-written? I doubt Flair vs. Sting would have been the main event and I doubt there would have been a World Title change if it wasn't the last Nitro.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-24-2012, 04:50 AM
While I agree about Sting V Flair, Steiner was really struggling with a foot injury at the time, so they may have done the title switch anyway if it was still continuing.

whiteyford
01-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Remember reading the title switch was a result of the buy out, Steiner wasn't interested in taking a pay out on his contract plus his injurys and reputation were a stumbling block at the time too.

CSL
01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
pretty sure it was simply a case of whoever wanting to show up and work could do. Most probably did it because they wanted jobs/had jobs/to gain favour at Titan Towers, Steiner had the belt, Flair and Sting because they "were WCW" etc.

JimmyMess
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
From Nash's shoot video he said he got a call from (I forget who) saying "Vince bought it.... are you going to go to the last show"

Nash "Nope."