PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest disappointments (Lesnar, Goldberg, Invasion, Jericho)

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Brock Lesnar
So much was made of his potential, and he was really just a hoss. Then, he was given the Championship and still had no passion for the business. Think of the "what could have been" factor, and you'll see why I think Brock Lesnar is a big disappointment (and I'm glad he's gone).

Goldberg
So many promos, such big build up for his first match with The Rock, and yet such a big disappointment. His feuds with Trips and Brock made for the worst matches of the night. Poor booking? Or boring matches? Either way, a big disappointment (and I'm glad he's gone).

Mark Henry
After being signed to such a huge contract, and knowing the strength and size he brought to the table, I really thought he would have a good career. He was going in the right direction recently (before he was injured), but he's never been able to reach that higher level, and really seems to be good for nothing.

Billy Gunn
He had everything Titan wanted in a major superstar... But injuries, his attitude/ego, and a constant failure to come through with matches when they counted, led him down the path to jobberville. How many failed pushes has this guy received? Not even counting the Smoking Gunns or Rockabilly: he was moderately successful as New Age Outlaw Billy Gunn; very successful as DX Billy Gunn; a star in the making as Bad Ass/Mr. Ass Billy Gunn; a dissapointment as New Age Outlaw Billy Gunn v.2; still a disappointment as The One Billy Gunn; nonexistant as Showgunn Billy Gunn; moderately successful as Billy (and Chuck); yet again a disappointment as Bad Ass Billy Gunn v.2 (feat. Torrie); and now is stiiilllll a disappointment as Bad Ass Billy Gunn v.3....

More than a decade spent with the WWF/E and when they showed vignettes of his greatest moments, there were only 3.... This guy used to be one of my favorite wrestlers, but now just epitomizes failed potential....

The InVasion
It isn't an opinion, it is a fact. They took a storyline, one a retarded monkey could easily book, and somehow ****ed it up. It still boggles my mind.

big_bluto
05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Return of the NWO:
Vince brought them back. Cool!
Nash got injured and Hall got what?....suspended? Anyway he disappeared, so Xpac and the Big Show were drafted in, as was HBK.
Anyhow, they dicked around for a few weeks, didn't do much, and then just vanished into thin air.
I know the NWO had their time, but that was a big disappointment.

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about them (that's how good they were).

Nark Order
05-04-2004, 12:11 PM
KOTR awhile back when Mankind had a mystery opponent in the semi's and everybody thought it was gonna be HBK or someone huge and then it was Duane Gill....

Damn WWE and their stupid sense of humor....

big_bluto
05-04-2004, 12:14 PM
I remember being vastly disappointed that Drew Carey never got his ass whooped in the Royal Rumble..

KillerWolf
05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
SCOTT STEINER
what a crock of shit this guy turned out to be. excruciatingly terrible on the mic and in the ring. no wonder his feud with hhh consisted of an armwrestling contest, a push-up contest, a pose off, and finally jobbing at a ppv.
and what the **** were they thinking bringing Steiner in as a face anyway?!? :nono:

Loose Cannon
05-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Greater Power: Man, I remember everyone in school for a few weeks talking about who the greater power was going to be. Some said Jake Roberts,(which I thought and which would made the best sense) Some were saying PAPA Shango and other people were mentioned. I never heard Vince mentioned once in any conversation though. So then Vince reveals himself as the guy and I was like "wtf." I was pretty pissed and dissapointed that we were getting Austin vs McMahon again.

KillerWolf
05-04-2004, 02:30 PM
RETURN OF THE UNDERTAKER
and i'm not just talking about the lack of creativity that went into his new look. i thought the whole thing leading up to his return (the thunderstorms in the arenas) was stupid. nobody is buying that shit anymore! i feel that the wwe creative writers lacked the creativity to do something new and original with taker. theyre just rehashing a bunch of bullshit that may have been fine in '92 but is just silly now.

add to that, the fact that taker literally HASNT DONE SHIT since wm20, and it all spells disappointment, my friends.

John la Rock
05-04-2004, 02:33 PM
SCOTT STEINER
what a crock of shit this guy turned out to be. excruciatingly terrible on the mic and in the ring. no wonder his feud with hhh consisted of an armwrestling contest, a push-up contest, a pose off, and finally jobbing at a ppv.
and what the **** were they thinking bringing Steiner in as a face anyway?!? :nono:

:y:

KillerWolf
05-04-2004, 02:37 PM
RVD
when RVD first came to wwe i remember thinking that he was going to be the next Shawn Micheals. i seem to remember him getting victories over Y2J back when Jericho was still main eventing.

then, in typical wwe fashon, they did a premature face turn for rvd, and he became the phuck that he is today. and as it turned out he is a shitty wrestler and sucks on the mic anyhow.

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 05:34 PM
I think I'll re-name this thread to, "the one that bombed" :lol:

Heyman
05-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Triple H's return to the WWE in January 2002

This guy should've been the biggest face in the industry since The Rock/Austin IMO. ANYONE who saw his return face pop on January 7th 2002, knows what I'm talking about!

Instead - the WWE screwed it up. They not only aligned Triple H with a heel Stephanie (who kept 'bragging' about Triple H to the crowd which helped killed Triple H's face pops), but they made Triple H look 'weak' and 'susceptible' to screw jobs. They may sound weird, but Triple H should NOT have jobbed to Angle at No Way Out that year. He ended up looking like a FOOL who got SCREWED (and a major part of Triple H's gimmick, is that he is the 'cerebral assassin'). Triple H getting beat down before No Way Out, also made him look WEAK. Before Royal Rumble, Stephanie was talking sh</>it to Stone Cold STeve Austin.......which once again, made the fans second guess themselves if they wanted to cheer Triple H.

At Wrestlemania, Triple H fought and defeated a NON-built up Chris Jericho (who was made to look extremely weak as World Champion). The feud also focused way too much on Triple H/Stephanie....instead of Triple H/Jericho.

Triple H feuding with Hulk Hogan a month later was also BRAIN DEAD (why have a guy, who you want to be a successful face, feud against the most OVER guy in the company at the time?.......Hulkamania!?!?).

To top off the stupidity, Triple H once again looked weak as he jobbed to a past-his-prime Hogan. Triple H then jobbed to Undertaker a little while later.

In the match between The Rock and Undertaker, Triple H pedigreed The Rock (top face).

Savio
05-04-2004, 06:16 PM
HHH beating mick foley for his title debut.

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 06:25 PM
The Gobbeldy Gooker

Batsu
05-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Triple H's return to the WWE in January 2002

This guy should've been the biggest face in the industry since The Rock/Austin IMO. ANYONE who saw his return face pop on January 7th 2002, knows what I'm talking about!

I too, feel, that HHH, because of the reaction he got with fans, the reputation he had in the locker room at the time, and just the direction of HHH on WWE TV from the time Angle started showing interest in Stephanie McMahon to that point had him set up for being the next Stone Cold Steve Austin. Fans liked him, and considered him a "legitimate" badass...but I think some of the feuds were incredibly lackluster. HHH as a face just wasn't as dynamic...

...and it was extremely hard to buy HHH doing things like imitating Hulk Hogan (a feud that should have never happened), talking about him being "sad" about taking out his hero, and stuff like that. Even though the days of kayfabe are over, sometimes it's good to inject realism in what you see on TV however... or at least something people can believe.

that HHH-Hogan feud was just ridiculous. Hogan holding the Undisputed Championship was something that just shouldn't have happened in the HHH push. Also, HHH was on total cruise control in that feud...you flat-out knew he was gonna win everything, even in screwjob attempts. From RR to WM, it was pretty apparent. (In the same breath, same thing with Austin in '01...but many expected Rock to be the one who would turn in that match)

...the "cruise-controlling" HHH pretty much led into the Ric Flair impersonating, dry shadow of himself he would later become.

Nowhere Man
05-04-2004, 08:15 PM
The InVasion

It was the one thing everyone, literally every wrestling fan in America, probably dreamed about at one point or another. The one thing in wrestling that we knew was still "real." WWF vs WCW. Add in the renegades of ECW, and you've got yourselves a recipe for the greatest wrestling angle of all time. Instead, we got probably the most disgusting waste of potential ever.

Who was the leader of the WCW/ECW Alliance? Steve Austin, the man who absolutely defined WWF. Who were the new owners of the dangerous factions? Vince McMahon's kids. The only major victories I can remember the Alliance getting were Rob Van Dam and Rhyno getting D-Q wins over the Rock when everyone started interfering. Top it all off with the fact that only two years after that abomination of an angle had finished, every single WCW star who would've made that storyline a success (except Sting) had joined up with WWE at one point or another, and you've got yourself a picture perfect example of how not to book a wrestling show.

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 08:20 PM
The InVasion

It was the one thing everyone, literally every wrestling fan in America, probably dreamed about at one point or another. The one thing in wrestling that we knew was still "real." WWF vs WCW. Add in the renegades of ECW, and you've got yourselves a recipe for the greatest wrestling angle of all time. Instead, we got probably the most disgusting waste of potential ever.

Who was the leader of the WCW/ECW Alliance? Steve Austin, the man who absolutely defined WWF. Who were the new owners of the dangerous factions? Vince McMahon's kids. The only major victories I can remember the Alliance getting were Rob Van Dam and Rhyno getting D-Q wins over the Rock when everyone started interfering. Top it all off with the fact that only two years after that abomination of an angle had finished, every single WCW star who would've made that storyline a success (except Sting) had joined up with WWE at one point or another, and you've got yourself a picture perfect example of how not to book a wrestling show.

:y: We wanted to see it for years, but when we thought of WCW vs WWF, we thought Sting vs The Rock, Goldberg vs Austin, Flair vs Michaels... We weren't thinking Rikishi vs Shawn Stasiak! :mad:

SuperSlim
05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
oh man I remember sittin at the edge of my seat just waitin for somethin like that to happen.

WWF buys out WCW... WCW/ECW vs. WWF... dream for any wrestling fan.

Their problems were they rushed it way too quick and they didn't really use anybody at all.

I mean really not only was Austin the top guy for the Alliance, but Kurt Angle was the second guy- another WWF guy. Then we had Booker who was at least a recognizable someone from WCW but that was bout it. and DDP but he wasn't much.

Adding ECW to the mix really made things interesting with RVD comin in through the crowd with Dreamer... man I wondered when teh day would come RVD would join WWF and that was when. and The Duds, Tazz, and others with ECW was good. But Shane as WCW owner wasn't that bad. IMO he did pretty good cause there really wasn't anyone else the WWF had at the time that could do it. And they had it perfect with Paul as ECW owner. It was perfect with just Shane and Paul but they totally screwed it up adding Steph to ECW of all places. She did not have the look nor attitude to be ECW. Another McMahon feud. Took somethin that coulda been the most memorable and awesome thing to ever happen in wrestling history to a complete piece of crap

Batsu
05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
It was perfect with just Shane and Paul but they totally screwed it up adding Steph to ECW of all places. She did not have the look nor attitude to be ECW. Another McMahon feud. Took somethin that coulda been the most memorable and awesome thing to ever happen in wrestling history to a complete piece of crap

My sentiment exactly.

Shane McMahon as WCW owner was a good idea. After all, Shane (despite the inconsistencies of the McMahons as characters) always seemed to have an underlying theme of showing up his old man. The set up of having Shane McMahon on Nitro was also cool.

Paul Heyman SHOULD have been the one to lead ECW, not Stephanie. That was the lamest reason to put Steph back on television. Stephanie, before she "inflated", was only really good for a female version of "X-Pac heat", especially then.

and then the alliance of WCW and ECW...that was just a bad idea. If they were going to be heels, it should have been the angle equivalent of a "Triple Threat" match. WWF's competition should have been made to look like it really was in trouble with WCW (with Booker T at the helm of the wrestlers) and ECW (with RVD at the helm) disrupting their shows.

if Austin was going to leave WWF angle-wise and join "The Alliance" as a heel, he ought to have done the ultimate sin: pull an Alundra Blayze and trash the WWF Title, then forcibly take the WCW belt.

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 10:58 PM
You know what's really sad? This was the one angle in wrestling history that could not fail, but we all know that it did. Not one person out there has come forward to say otherwise, because it just can't be refuted.

One thing that bothers me is that the Invasion angle was rushed. They got ahead of themselves and didn't book it properly. Out of the whole angle, there were only really a handful of things booked far in advance. They should have taken their time with it and planned it all out fully. Anyone with half a brain should have realised that WWF would have to be the face side, yet they pushed WCW as the good guys. Had they booked it better, it could have gone on for much longer and not been the incidental thing that it became. They clustered the titles, ****ed up the booking of wrestler, ignored the problems that just having them wrestle each other on free TV all the time would pose for things getting stale and being able to build PPV's.

As far as the big names issue. The main guys cost too much, if they really wished to be in WWE and performing at that point in time, they would have simply accepted buyouts. Yes, it is good for them financially, but if I truly wanted to be out there performing, I would have accepted the buyout. Not sit and home and let my market value slide away significantly.

Guys jumping ship should have at least been consistant. Austin's jump was terribly done and didn't make sense. I had hard time believing Austin would be a part of a company he ended up hating. Even Jericho, who also disliked WCW would have been more believable.

Heyman should have had a bigger input from the angle that slow build up of angles, heat and the storyline would enable WWE to acheive big payoffs when it finally finished. Unfortunately, they rushed every single move they made.

Rock Bottom
05-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I agree with the initial post of yours Red Hot. Except for the part about Lesnar just being a hoss, I think he was extremely gifted in the ring. But it is a big let down for a guy like that to have all those people work so hard for him and leave. But you know, at least like JR said, he got out sooner than later. If he wasn't happy, that's his deal, and you can't totally blame him for wanting to chase his dream while he was still young. But also, as Triple H said... He went about it the wrong way. Alot of people sacraficed to put Brock over.

Marc the Smark
05-04-2004, 11:23 PM
He's a spoiled little bitch. He joins the WWE main roster less than two years ago, is undefeated for 6 months, wins King of the Ring, becomes the youngest WWE Champion ever, wins the Royal Rumble and then wins the WWE title back at WMXIX, all in one year. Not to mention the names that he went over; Taker (twice), Hogan, Rocky, Angle, Show and everyother wrestler who he faced that year.

Then a year later, he walks out on the company that made him. Remember, it wasn't only because he lacked passion for the business, but also because he was unhappy about having to job for a veteran; a legend of the business who is having his last stand in the WWE. Need we remind you Brock that the Taker has put you over numerous times, including Hell in a Cell and the Steel Chain Match?? Hell, you no sold the entire roster for the first 3 months of your career, and this is a give/take world.

It makes me sick in the stomach that someone who the WWE showed so much faith in is leaving them because due to being a selfish, insecure, whining bitch. Stone Cold did it, and I still haven't forgiven him, and he did much more for the company than Lesnar could ever dream of doing.

I hope Lesnar gets annihalated in the NFL (if he even makes it), and I really hope Vince kicks his face in when he comes crawling back.

The CyNick
05-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Dont be dumb, Vince would toss Brock's salad to get him back in the WWE.

Loose Cannon
05-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Someone on here should write a parody on the WWE writers booking the Invasion angle. It would be funny.

Nowhere Man
05-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Someone on here should write a parody on the WWE writers booking the Invasion angle. It would be funny.

I get the feeling that writing a parody of the Invasion would be sort of redundant.

Marc the Smark
05-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Dont be dumb, Vince would toss Brock's salad to get him back in the WWE.

But do any of the fans ever wanna see Lesnar come back? And if he does, I hope he gets booed out of the building like he did at WrestleMania. If Lesnar wants to pursue a football career, so be it, but he turned his back on his fans (I wasn't one of them), and left the business before he did anything for it. He milked it and moved on. I can't see how anyone can think that's okay.

Fox
05-05-2004, 12:42 AM

Go to the "Humor" section under "Fun and Games" at the TPWW.net home page and you'll find that there is one on the WWE's use of the WCW and ECW talent. It's quite funny too.

CBright7831
05-05-2004, 12:54 AM
KOTR awhile back when Mankind had a mystery opponent in the semi's and everybody thought it was gonna be HBK or someone huge and then it was Duane Gill....

That was actually at Survivor Series 98, for the WWF Championship Torunament. And it was beginning round also.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Lynn and Tazz in WWE.
The Invasion as a whole.
The night ECW came back. I went APE SHIT when ECW reformed.. then I wanted to kill the writers when they paired them with WCW. Then I did kill a writer when Steph was made the owner.

RGWhat316
05-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Onbe of my biggest disappointments that hasn't been mentioned yet is the night after WM X-7, which we all know got the ball rolling on the WWE not doing so good. Here we have HHH, he's aligned with Vince, Vince helps Austin win the title, HHH is all pissed, but then he aligns with the 2 of them for no reason. Even though the end of '00 and the first part of '01 was all HHH v Austin, it shouldve continued. But, with The Rock leaving for movies, Undertaker and Kane are suddenly thrown into the main event picture.

Even though the Invasion has been the most talked about so far, I also want to throw in with the switching sides, why in the hell did Angle switch over?? When you have people jumping ship just to join that team that they wouldnt work for if they were still around, was just not believable.

Marc the Smark
05-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Another disapointment - Chris Jericho, Undisputed Champion. Boy oh boy did THIS suck! Now wait, don't get me wrong, it wasn't Jericho's fault. It was a matter (once again) of bad booking. Jericho had a great match with The Rock, followed by a PANTS match with that idiot Austin (who, of course, no-sold his offense), then was squashed by your friend and mine, Triple H, at WrestleMania X-8. I was stoked when Jericho got the belt, but the booking was terrible and made him look like a chump. :n:

Mike the Metal Ed
05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Even though the Invasion has been the most talked about so far, I also want to throw in with the switching sides, why in the hell did Angle switch over?? When you have people jumping ship just to join that team that they wouldnt work for if they were still around, was just not believable.

He was the mole that helped bring down WCW from the inside remember.

The CyNick
05-05-2004, 02:15 PM
But do any of the fans ever wanna see Lesnar come back? And if he does, I hope he gets booed out of the building like he did at WrestleMania. If Lesnar wants to pursue a football career, so be it, but he turned his back on his fans (I wasn't one of them), and left the business before he did anything for it. He milked it and moved on. I can't see how anyone can think that's okay.

The fans will still accept him. The same fans who hate on Lesnar for *gasp* leaving the WWE hate on The Rock for going to Hollywood, and yet when he comes back the fans are screaming like little school girls. If Brock were to come back (depending on how long he's gone) the fans will go crazy and cheer for him. SD has had a lot of problems since Mania, but one thing to remember is that ratings have been down since Mania, and Brock has been gone since Mania, so.

Marc the Smark
05-05-2004, 02:19 PM
The fans will still accept him.

Only if they're morons.

Lamuella
05-05-2004, 02:26 PM

That was Survivor Series. Also, it was to enhance the "mankind is getting a free pass" storyline

KillerWolf
05-05-2004, 02:50 PM
:y: We wanted to see it for years, but when we thought of WCW vs WWF, we thought Sting vs The Rock, Goldberg vs Austin, Flair vs Michaels... We weren't thinking Rikishi vs Shawn Stasiak! :mad:
:y: :yes:

Marc the Smark
05-05-2004, 07:53 PM
And we certainly didn't want Buff Bagwell in the first main event match! :nono:

diamondcutter
05-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Kind of Invasion-related: WWE's handling of Diamond Dallas Page. He should've been leading the invasion along with Booker T., as they were the two most recognizeable wrestlers from WCW-----Moreso Page, though. I remember the crowd going nuts when he debuted, and removed his mask.

I would've loved to have seen a DDP vs. Steve Austin fued, mostly due to their finishers, but alas, he became nothing more than a stalker who gets pinned by the woman he's stalking....and her husband.

BTW, someone mentioned the "Who is the greater power" storyline. That was the last result that WCW Nitro gave away. I remember Schaivone saying "The greater power's initials are VKM.

Marc the Smark
05-05-2004, 08:32 PM
BTW, someone mentioned the "Who is the greater power" storyline. That was the last result that WCW Nitro gave away. I remember Schaivone saying "The greater power's initials are VKM.

Schiavone's a moron. In fact, if we're discussing disappointments, he's one of 'em.

Rock Bottom
05-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Only if they're morons.

WWE fans? Morons? Get out of town.

Batsu
05-05-2004, 11:19 PM
The fans will still accept him. The same fans who hate on Lesnar for *gasp* leaving the WWE hate on The Rock for going to Hollywood, and yet when he comes back the fans are screaming like little school girls. If Brock were to come back (depending on how long he's gone) the fans will go crazy and cheer for him. SD has had a lot of problems since Mania, but one thing to remember is that ratings have been down since Mania, and Brock has been gone since Mania, so.

the difference here is: The Rock still does WWE shows, even if part-time. He's still officially a part of WWE, and never acts like he isn't. Brock just up and left...he'd have to earn his cheers back, from those that remember how he left...

Marc the Smark
05-06-2004, 10:44 AM
the difference here is: The Rock still does WWE shows, even if part-time. He's still officially a part of WWE, and never acts like he isn't. Brock just up and left...he'd have to earn his cheers back, from those that remember how he left...

That's right. He's stil a part of the WWE, and he always will be in some capacity. Plus, he did a hell of a lot more for the company than Lesnar did, so he's easier to appreciate.

Another disappointment: The NWO in the WWE. Remember Vince on Smackdown saying he was gonna unleash a "cancer" on to his own promotion? They were nothing but a minor cold (thanks in part to Austin).