PDA

View Full Version : Gameboy

Captain of Fun
02-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Did you have a gameboy when you were a kid?! Which one?! What games did you have?! DID YOU LIKE THEM?!

I had the ol' spinach screen brick. I remember having Kirby and Megaman 5. They were awesome. Had the first ninja turtles game too. Wasn't as good as the previously mentioned titles, but it was competent. A lot more fun than the first NES game, I'll tell you that, boy howdy.

And I also remember the innate rage I felt, when I got chicken pox, and my parents decided to take me to my grandparents chalet (away from my precious NES, which I was very much looking forward to playing for a week straight). Luckily, as a "you're so sick I am going to buy you something" present, my mom got me Metroid II: Return of Samus. Spent a whole week playing it, and beat it, just as my chicken pox cleared up. Also spent my time not playing, constructing my own metroid game on graph paper. Thing was fucking huge. Bigger than super metroid by far. That week might be my fondest gaming memory.

Aaaaaaaand the rest were all shit. Had that practically unplayable spider-man game. Fucking pile of turds, that one. On levels that were on the ground, dude would web swing on almost every jump, no matter how loud I screamed at him not too. Whenever you needed to use the web swing to get over a pit the thing just wouldn't work, as if the game knew how badly it was bending you over, and took pleasure in every thrust.

Also had this game called Sumo something or other. Was not a sumo wrestling game however, but a 2-d platformer, where you play as some fat shit trying to save his kidnapped honey, in some oriental fantasy land, from a large number of asian stereotypes. Oh, and it played like ass.

Got a gameboy advance when it came out, and never owned a single shitty game, for that one. Didn't own many, mind you, but whatever.

I had Circle of the Moon, and while I prefer classic castlevania, the "metroidvanias" are still a blast. Since I went N64 instead of playstation,(the 12 year old me would shit fucking bricks, knowing that I now own all 3 consoles on the market btw) Circle was my first Metroidvania. Had Harmony too, but I liked circle better.

My favorite series on GBA, was the Megaman Zero series. Megaman is my favorite franchise in all of gaming. And the zero series was a return to form after the last few shitty X games, and the battle network shit which I fucking hated. Game was hard, too. Like, X3 hard. Girlfriend at the time got reaaaaaally pissed at me, because I stayed up till like 2am to beat it. Whatever. That relationship ended anyway, but my achievement still stands, so it was totally worth it. BOOSH and or KA-KOW

Don't have a DS because instead of trusting 2 decades of blissful memories, I instead opted for a PSP. Used it like twice in the span of a year, and then sold it to a friend, dumping it's useless ness on him.

And then Megaman Powered up, Maverick Hunter, Rondo of Blood, Crisis Core, Dissidia, and Peace Walker all came out. Mother fuckers.

OssMan
02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Gameboy Pocket

All I had was Pokemon Red for a while and my brother had blue. I had one of the Final Fantasy Adventure games or maybe it was Final Fantasy Legend and I remember not being able to get past the classroom that the game starts in. Also I definitely had Link's Awakening and didn't get far in that.

I still have my Gameboy I think and I have a few more games, Pokemon Trading Card Game which is awesome. Mega Man 2 blows dick but maybe that's because I'm partial to the NES version. I have sparingly played Balloon Kid, Super Mario Land, not sure what else.

Never owned anything after that but I played Mother 3 for GBA on an emulator on Wii which was phenomenal. Have played a DS like twice.

Captain of Fun
02-12-2012, 12:56 AM
I borrowed Link's Awakening from a friend, and got all the way to the last boss, but I never beat him.

Savio
02-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I had and still have the first one somewhere.

Extreme Angle
02-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Pokemon - Red,Yellow, Silver, because back then Pokemon printed money.
Zelda - Oracle of Ages

whiteyford
02-12-2012, 05:43 AM
I actually think i've owned pretty much every version of the GB ever made. Mario land 1 + 2 were the original GB games i played to death,and Hudson Hawk for some bizzare reason. Still end up buying every Mario + Pokemon game they release for them,and Mario Kart.

ClockShot
02-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Had a few of them. Original, color, advanced, now got me a 3DS.

As for games, I could only remember a few of them. Pokemon blue, Gargoyle's Quest, Tetris, one of the Castlevania games, Mario and the 6 Golden Coins.

G
02-12-2012, 07:25 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0xf64LReD1qb2y5yo1_400.jpg

Shaved Monkey
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I had and still have the first one somewhere.

Same here. The only game I have left for it though is Sword of Hope. That actually wasn't a bad RPG from what I remember. It's been years since I've played it though.

PorkSoda
02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I had a Gameboy, the only game I had was Pokemon Yellow. I never beat it, either.

Verbose Minch
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I've had every iteration of the Gameboy aside from the Gameboy Micro.

The Gameboy hosts my favorite video game of all time: LoZ Link's Awakening.

Wehttam
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
i thought everyone who owned an original gameboy also owned tetris. it was a requirement.

Gertner
02-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Kirby's Pinball was an incredible game.

The Destroyer
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
i thought everyone who owned an original gameboy also owned tetris. it was a requirement.
Wasn't that because it usually came with the system?

I had the original Game Boy and also a GBC.

Destor
02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Game-Gear.jpg

Wehttam
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
maybe? probably. stop asking me questions.

Verbose Minch
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM

I had one back in the day. If they didn't eat batteries at such a furious rate, it would have been an awesome system.

D Mac
02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.decodesystems.com/games/sears-electronic-football.jpg

Emperor Smeat
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Gameboy Advance was the first one I actually owned but did play both the original Gameboy and GameBoy Color that a cousin owned.

whiteyford
02-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Wasn't that because it usually came with the system?

Pretty sure if it wasnt included with the GB it was bundled in as part of store deals.

El Fangel
02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Game Boy Color
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Gold

That ate alot of my childhoods free time right there.

PorkSoda
02-12-2012, 04:38 PM

I remember having this and I only remember playing "The Baseball Game" for it. I don't remember the name

Verbose Minch
02-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I had the Sonic game for it, but I could never get past the first boss because it was such bullshit.

I actually tried again not too long ago and I still can't do it.

Triple Naitch
02-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I had the original Game Boy, teal Game Boy Color, and the clear purple Game Boy Advance for like a minute. Favorite games were Mario 6 Golden Coins, Pokemon Blue, Ninja Turtles, and Tetris.

Captain of Fun
02-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes I had fucking tetris. I didn't mention it because I never played it.

Forgot that I also had Kirby's pinball. That shit was tight.

Savio
02-16-2012, 07:44 PM
I had the Sonic game for it, but I could never get past the first boss because it was such bullshit.

I actually tried again not too long ago and I still can't do it.It wasnt too bad....the hang gliding level was complete BS

stultiloquy
02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
I had one back in the day. If they didn't eat batteries at such a furious rate, it would have been an awesome system.
I did as well, but I got so tired of spending money on batteries I bought an AC adapter for it.
Pretty much defeated the purpose of it being a portable system, but it was a definite money saver, and I never took that gigantic thing anywhere anyway.

Kane Knight
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I've had every iteration of the Gameboy aside from the Gameboy Micro.

The Gameboy hosts my favorite video game of all time: LoZ Link's Awakening.

Loved that game so hard.

Tetris was probably my most played game ever. Definitely for the Game Boy.

When I first got it, I picked up Hunt for the Red October. a pain in the ass game, but I beat it. What I really liked was linking up with a friend and playing as the bad guys. Good guys. the guys who weren't in the sub.

Had Amazing Spider-Man, and I'm beginning to think Captain of Fun is shit at video games because that one was neither bad nor hard. Wasn't great, but his control problems sound like a bored housewife trying to tackle those video games her husband plays.

Had two (I think) of the other Spidey titles, both played different than the first.

And, of course, Pokémon Blue.

Ikno I had others, but can't remember them,.

Dark-Slicer Diago
02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
I had the black Gameboy Pocket and the teal Gameboy Color with Pokémon Blue, Yellow, Silver and Crystal while my brother had Red, Gold, Crystal, Ruby and Fire Red.

I also had WWF Supstars 2 and TMNT II: Back From The Sewers which was a pain, although fun.

LoDownM
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Got 2 original ones. Only one turns on still, and the only game I still have is Tetris, but I can't find it.

Fryza
02-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Got the old ass Gameboy sitting on the Heroes DVDs with a busted copy of Silver in it.