PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me...

Providence Peep
02-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Why The Big Show has never had the same success as Andre the Giant?

#1-norm-fan
02-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Crazy. I was just watching Raw thinking "there's no reason The Big Show shouldn't have been a major star."

Providence Peep
02-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Like, what just happened there with Orton. That would have never happened to Andre.

loopydate
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
I think if they had debuted him ANYWHERE on the card other than as part of the Austin/McMahon feud, he'd have had a chance. But when you debut a potential game-changing player as a supporting character, you're tying his hands already.

Shisen Kopf
02-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Andre was in the Princess Bride and Big Show was in Knucklehead. That's the diffence. Also, big show needs to become Captain Insano before he retires.

Wishbone
02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I'd say Bigshow's had a lot success in the business, and while he hasn't been as big outside wrestling he's still a big star in his own right. I think the biggest reason he didn't get that big is because by the time he'd come around everyone was already kinda usta the giant in wrestling thing. Andre was really the first of his kind, and while Bigshow's great he's just viewed as 'the sequel'.

Nowhere Man
02-14-2012, 12:03 AM
I think Wishbone hit the mark there. It's kinda like Hank Aaron being less famous than Babe Ruth even though he replaced him as the 'Home Run King;' even if you're the better performer, people will always care more about the original.

It's a shame, though, since I quite like Big Show.

Asmo
02-14-2012, 12:06 AM
It's a bad case of Been There, Done That. Wishbone got it bang on.

FourFifty
02-14-2012, 01:54 AM
I'd say Bigshow's had a lot success in the business, and while he hasn't been as big outside wrestling he's still a big star in his own right. I think the biggest reason he didn't get that big is because by the time he'd come around everyone was already kinda usta the giant in wrestling thing. Andre was really the first of his kind, and while Bigshow's great he's just viewed as 'the sequel'.

I just want to point something out- In his early days Andre The Giant was booked in handicapped matches vs 2-3 local jobbers. That style of booking was previously used by Haystacks Calhoun. Andre wasn't as original or ground breaking as people say.
On a semi-related note, Hillbilly Jim's gimmick was basically Haystacks' gimmick previously.

This Message has been brought to you by the fans who want to see Haystacks Calhoun in the WWE Hall of Fame.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-14-2012, 03:46 AM
He also would have benefited from starting in the WWF. WCW just rushed him through some basic training and shoved him out there to win the world title.

As much as I enjoyed his WCW run and his early WWF stuff, he was still green in a lot of ways when he won his first WWF title. Now he's just slow and I pretty much skip his matches.

RiX1024
02-14-2012, 08:13 AM
because Andre was booked as an attraction so fans could see him wrestle like twice a month but Big Show is seen every week so the he wasn't that much of an attraction as Andre. If Big Show was booked like Andre in the 70s-80s he would share the same success. I remember JR said something like that in the roundtable programme.

CSL
02-14-2012, 08:34 AM
laziness, cheeseburgers and cigarettes for like the first 8 years of his WWE run

which is fair play, if he was happy just making money, all the power to him

Gertner
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Different era and "smarter fans". Andre is an age with no social media, national tv and the thought by many that wrestling was real was a something nobody had ever seen before.

RiX1024
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
What Gertner typed.