PDA

View Full Version : Backstage Backlash Against Foley?

Fox
05-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Some within the inner circles of the WWE have criticized Mick Foley for underselling in his match at Backlash against Randy Orton. They feel as if Orton got himself over during the match rather than Foley helping put Orton over. We don’t expect to see Foley on camera any time in the near future, but talks are ongoing about a SummerSlam return.

Credit: rajahwwf.com news

Personally, I feel that these accusations are total bullshit. Mick Foley has always prided himself in being able to "put over" younger superstars, and prepare wrestlers for big matches. Not to mention the fact that whenever he does this, not only is it extremely effective, but it generates some of the best matches in his opponents' careers. Look at the Last Man Standing and I Quit matches against The Rock, preparing him for WrestleMania XV. The Street Fight and Hell in a Cell matches against Triple H, getting him over as WWE Champion in preparation for WrestleMania 2000. Foley has sacrificed his own body many, many times for the sake of getting another wrestler over.

In the case of Randy Orton, I think Foley buried himself tremendously. The Hardcore Legend, the King of the Japanese Deathmatch, walked out on a match with Randy Orton, and allowed the kid to spit in his face. He made himself look like an absolute coward for the sake of putting Orton over. And then, at WrestleMania XX, the biggest show in WWE history, Foley took the RKO and let Randy pin him 1-2-3. As far as the Hardcore match at Backlash, maybe Orton did take the biggest bumps of the match, but the fact that he got up and beat Mick Foley cleanly makes him look even better.

Now, hopefully someone here disagrees with my position on the topic, so that I didn't write all of that for nothing.

Innovator
05-04-2004, 10:35 PM
DE DERK EERR DEEERRRRBBBB

Rock Bottom
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I totally agree. 100%. Foley and Orton worked together in that match. It wasn't about Foley selling. It was about Orton taking all that punishment, and still emerging victorious. Foley helped put Orton on the map, but so did Orton. Foley did not completely carry the match, but that wasn't supposed to happen anyway. People need to stop bitching. I'm sure Orton himself is thankful and respectful of what Foley is/was doing for his career. I don't see why anyone else would even have any room to bitch. That match was awesome.

Funky Fly
05-04-2004, 11:01 PM
WOW, it sounds like there are some jealous ass bitches in the WWE's inner circles. When was the last time any of those people took HUGE bumps to put the other guy over? Mick has done too much in his career to have to take that kind of bullshit.

Loose Cannon
05-04-2004, 11:23 PM
**waits for the NowhereMan reply

El Santo
05-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Oh, that Flair! Mouthing off about Mick again. :p

Fox
05-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh, that Flair! Mouthing off about Mick again. :p

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing. I can see it now...

(After being stitched up, Orton walks into the locker room where Triple H, Batista and Ric Flair are waiting.)

Randy: Hey guys...

Batista: Hey Randy, that was the best match I've...

Ric Flair: GOD DAMN THAT MICK FOLEY! What a bunch of bullshit that match was, Randy! You should go punch out that fast piece of shit right now!

Randy: What do you mean? I thought it was great.

Triple H: Great? Great?! You thought it was GREAT?! Damnit Randy, you may be the next big thing in this industry, but you're still green as all hell.

Flair: Didn't you see what that bastard did to you out there? Making himself look like a star by reversing YOUR finishing move and spoiling YOUR big RKO onto the thumb tacks! What a selfish bastard!

Randy: But that spot was my idea...

Flair: Foley is a washed up piece of trash who doesn't need to be hogging all the big pops for himself! Now let's go, boys, there's a whole town out there waiting for Evolution to pass it by. WOO!

(Flair and Triple H leave.)

Batista: Hey Randy, I didn't think Mick stole your spotlight. I thought that match was great.

(Flair pops back in)

Flair (to Batista): You're riding by yourself, bitch.

(Flair leaves.)

Batista: Damnit!

Loose Cannon
05-04-2004, 11:45 PM
lol. Beat me to it.

Nowhere Man
05-05-2004, 12:19 AM
**waits for the NowhereMan reply

Sorry to disappoint you this time, but Foley/Orton was a fantastic match. That was one of the few times I've been really impressed with Orton's abilities, and my old hero was just as much of a crazy sonofabitch as I remember him being. The fact that the guy I don't like won didn't spoil it in the least for me, since Orton's actually going to be around for the rest of the year.

But yeah, back to the topic. Anyone who ever claims Foley under-sells can go f</>uck themselves. I'd like to see them get driven face-first onto a barbed-wire bat, and then we'll see who's selling enough.

Loose Cannon
05-05-2004, 12:22 AM
But yeah, back to the topic. Anyone who ever claims Foley under-sells can go f</>uck themselves. I'd like to see them get driven face-first onto a barbed-wire bat, and then we'll see who's selling enough.

Now That's what I was waiting for. :D

Nowhere Man
05-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Now That's what I was waiting for. :D

Glad to be of service, then

PureHatred
05-05-2004, 01:13 AM
More internet bull$hit. There's no source, no direct quotes..just another bullshit rumor that newsboards will circulate becaue they don't have the self respect not to.

Mick Foley is universally loved (Ric Flair being clearly from another universe) and respected by this generation of stars. There's no way he went back to that locker room and got anything less thana standing O.

Corkscrewed
05-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Sounds like a case of bullshit (whether it's true or false) to me. Foley rules, Orton earned my respect. Case closed.

Cactus Sid
05-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Having read this i'm gonna go and watch the match and see where Foley under-sells, if at all

Mr. Nerfect
05-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Both guys put in an 11/10 effort at Backlash, quite frankly I think these reports are bogus. As well as those saying Bradshaw isn't getting over.

Cactus Sid
05-05-2004, 05:47 AM
If you wanna get really picky, Foley doesn't sell the mangled up Garbage Can at the beginning. Keep in mind however, this is Cactus Jack and not Pete Gas

Cactus Sid
05-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Ok, finished watching the match

Foley does actually under sell towards the end, but its nothing major, and nothing different to what he'd done throughout his whole career

Watching it again did make me realise how much Orton did make himself look like a star, but I know for a fact that only Foley could have helped him along like that, Orton's facial mannerisms and Foley's psychology made this match really good.