PDA

View Full Version : BloodyCheckers... The best 80 MS points I've ever spent.

G
03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
After reading this post the other day, I had to give it a try. Turned out to be the best 80 MS points I've ever spent. I encourage each of you to give it a try. There is a demo, but the time runs out after like 2 moves in checkers.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/BloodyCheckers/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585508ba

Let me begin with this statement: Forget everything you know about checkers.

I first came across this title several months ago while browsing the indie Marketplace, and instantly passed right over it. Checkers? CHECKERS?! Someone actually expects people to buy a game of checkers?! Pfffft.... yeah, right. I have way better things to spend my buck on.

Not giving it any more thought for months, I recently came across several people spanning many different forums... not only saying they were enjoying the game, but absolutely raving about it. I became curious... especially when people on Cheapassgamer started calling it one of, if not the best indie game available. This was enough to turn me from completely disinterested to purchasing and queueing it up for download almost immediately, as the ones recommending it had given me some very good suggestions in the past.

It turned out to be the best dollar I have ever spent.

This is no checkers game, friends - sure, you do indeed play checkers in this game, but oh, it is so, so much more. The game begins with you in front of a very ominous looking castle... ok, so where's the checkers? Hmmmm...... let's do some exploring. Upon searching the castle courtyard, you will find a candle, an item for your..... inventory??? - and a key to get inside. Whoa, is the candle flame really flickering as I move? Did it really just go out from me sprinting while holding it up?! Impressive physics for a game with "Checkers" in the title. Did I even download the right game?

Upon entering the castle, I was greeted by a portrait of a woman. Clicking it prompted me to select whether I wanted to challenge this creepy painting to a game of checkers... ok, this is the right game. Let's begin then, shall we? Upon entering the match, I am asked to set my traps. Ah, "battle-checkers"... interesting. During my battle with creepy ghost-woman, I bring up a spell-selection wheel. Wow is just about all I can think at this point. Music, sound effects, graphical effects... someone went through a great effort in making this "checkers" game. After winning, I am congratulated with more fanfare and ridiculousness than I would ever expect - I couldn't help but to bust out laughing. This game had me.

After leveling up from my battle (yup you read that right), I decided to explore some more. What did I find? Treasure chests filled with riches, traps, NPC's, a shopkeeper, and the feeling that this castle was going to take a very long time to completely explore. So much single-player content, and I had not even touched multiplayer yet! Um... did this really only cost me 80MSP?!

So all of this greatness, and I haven't even touched on the absolute best part of this game - kilroyfx. The person who created this game, kilroyfx, LOVES his creation. He's online every day to challenge players and, more importantly, get feedback on how to improve BloodyCheckers. And unlike so many other devs out there, he listens when someone has something to say. Since purchasing this game a month ago, I have already had to download 2 updates - both of which added even more content and improved an already incredible game. When I truly realized this concept, I knew that I didn't merely stumble upon a hidden gem, I found something truly special.

My opinion on this game should be apparent from everything I have already said, but if I wasn't clear enough, allow me to reiterate once more:

Go and buy BloodyCheckers this instant. Not only will you have an amazing new game to play, it will also possibly redefine what you think about indie... no, videogames in general.

http://download.xbox.com/content/xna/assets/585508BA_World/screen2.jpg

Funky Fly
03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I have a dollar! WANT!

VSG
03-02-2012, 12:25 PM
xbox only :(

RoXer
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
downloading now

whiteyford
03-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I will DL this based solely on your opinion and then shower you with the accordingly coloured rep

Fryza
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Love indie titles like this. Only a buck or a few, and so good.

Will probably download this.

G
03-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Did anyone try this, and what did you think.

D Mac
03-04-2012, 09:52 PM
No because it is you who wishes it.

G
03-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Are you still upset

D Mac
03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
:mad:

D Mac
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
K I bought it you better be right about this.

Kane Knight
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Waiting to see if D Mac likes it. If he does, I'm refusing to buy AND neg repping G.