PDA

View Full Version : Let's define burying someone

Graveler
03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
What does being "buried" mean? I swear every time someone's favorite wrestler loses a match, they're suddenly getting buried or "in da doghouse". So what does this term actually mean? Post examples of being buried

Razzamajazz
03-06-2012, 03:08 PM
a year ago the miz was on top. now he's losing to everyone to make them look better instead of him

erickman
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
jobbing to hornswagle for over a year and dressing like an eagle.

#1-norm-fan
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
a year ago the miz was on top. now he's losing to everyone to make them look better instead of him

Pretty much. Winning the main event at WrestleMania and then being used to make the guy who's challenging for the IC title the next year look good in a squash match on Raw is pretty buried. But it seems like everyone gets buried at some point randomly since WWE can't book characters long term to save their life.

RiX1024
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
when Michael Cole slags you off on commentary

given an embarrassing gimmick e.g. see Wrestlecrap.

constant jobbing e.g. The Miz

when a documentary DVD's main contents was being slagged off by everyone e.g Ultimate Warrior.

Tommy Gunn
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Someone who was pushed to the upper midcard one moment, then jobs clean to Santino the next.

Dukelorange
03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
This is the WWE...
This is Zack Ryder...

Razzamajazz
03-06-2012, 04:24 PM
morrison is a good example too. he was given a decent push, but eventually made to look like shit until eventually being released

Corporate CockSnogger
03-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Personally I view burying as just doing absolutely nothing with a character. I don't see The Miz as being buried currently, he's on TV every week, still gets mic time, new t-shirt just brought out. He might be getting punished for a couple of things, but he's still very much relevant right now in the WWE.

A better example to me would be someone like Alex Riley, who is nowhere to be seen on the main shows despite being pretty prominent last year.

St. Jimmy
03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RrB7ftwJvIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gertner
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
No such thing. IWC seems to think wrestling fans are like them and can remember Aldo Montoya vs Bob Holly matches from the 90's.

#1-norm-fan
03-06-2012, 06:18 PM
:wtf:

ace3025
03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Best example of being buried: The entire roster right now with HHH-Taker. I enjoyed it all last year but constantly stating that they are the last of dying breed and how they are an end of an era is pretty much telling the audience "wrestling is dead because the people we have now aren't any good". Idk, its just really bugging me this year.

John Morrison is the living example of buried. He was on his way to the top, won a VERY hyped #1 contenders match, then was bumped from the next ppv to raw, then pushed again in the rumble and chamber, pissed some people off that he shouldn't have, lost to r-truth, never won again, wwe.com posted an interview saying he isn't ready to hang with the big dogs, laid out by miz, then fired/let go

We were literally forced to forget him

#1-norm-fan
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Best example of being buried: The entire roster right now with HHH-Taker. I enjoyed it all last year but constantly stating that they are the last of dying breed and how they are an end of an era is pretty much telling the audience "wrestling is dead because the people we have now aren't any good". Idk, its just really bugging me this year.

I don't look at it as negatively. I just think they're really hyping it as the last of a generation. If this generation was full of mega-stars I think they'd be saying the same thing.

Lock Jaw
03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg704/scaled.php?server=704&filename=triplehshovel.gif&res=medium

CSL
03-06-2012, 08:13 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RrB7ftwJvIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

taking the finish of pretty much the only semi-regular guy "on par" with Cena during an ad-break, definitely that

CSL
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
anybody working on TV week in, week out with CM Punk, John Cena, Big Show, has a new shirt and gets to hold a microphone is not being "buried"

Lock Jaw
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
But I hear CM Punk is in the Doghouse.

As always.

RVDmark
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Brodus Clay.

ace3025
03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't look at it as negatively. I just think they're really hyping it as the last of a generation. If this generation was full of mega-stars I think they'd be saying the same thing.

Yeah, I know it isn't meant as a negative, and honestly last year I enjoyed it. This year it is just feeling redundant and the "end of an era", as correct as it is, is just coming as arrogant to me, almost hulk hogany

Kane Knight
03-06-2012, 10:16 PM
"Burying someone" is when something I don't like happens to someone I do like.

"In the Doghouse" means "Wrestler I like is not where I want him to be."

Swiss Ultimate
03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Is it burying if the fans are given what they want??? Miz getting pedigreed seems like the WWE cashing in on his heat and HHH's popularity.

Burying, to me, would be a world champion that opens RAW with matches against guys with no merit. Big Show got buried during his first (I think) championship reign in the WWF. Talk about a placeholder.

Hadouken
03-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Chris Benoits funeral

Sting Fan
03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
12 posts in and I am predicting a good sock run for Hadouken.

tjmidnight420
03-07-2012, 08:22 AM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg704/scaled.php?server=704&filename=triplehshovel.gif&res=medium

One of those rare clips of THE glass ceiling holding a shovel. :shifty:

Destor
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
this thread is a fine example they you guys arent qualified to define such things.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Actually I own a gravediggers licence so I believe I have just the right qualifications.

Lock Jaw
03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
this thread is a fine example they you guys arent qualified to define such things.

Who is more qualified than the IWC to define such things?

Destor
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
clearly you need a blog or a youtube account

Swiss Ultimate
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Vince McMahon.

#1-norm-fan
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, you need specific qualifications to define this ambiguous, completely subjective term.

CSL
03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
it's not really ambiguous at all though, just seems that way when the term is banded around like wildfire every time somebody a few people like drops a few matches on TV or when Cena goes over somebody "fresh" or when Triple H makes a (completely true) statement about the "rest of the roster" etc.

Destor
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes, you need specific qualifications to define this ambiguous, completely subjective term.
the term is well defined but wildly missused.

Blakeamus
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! /thread

#1-norm-fan
03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Of course it's ambiguous. Mainly because I don't think it's a very important word within the business itself. It has no real usefullness. So it all comes down to how you wanna see someone's current push.

I don't really like The Miz all that much and if he were a career jobber, I wouldn't be all that upset about it. But when he's the winner of the main event at WrestleMania and the next year he is being used to put over the guys on this years' card then there's a clear drop of in the way he's being booked. One could make an argument that it's currently, even if it's just temporary, one of the worst in recent memory as I can't think of anyone who has gone from that high to that insignificant that fast. Now... does the fact that he has a shirt have some barring on the way he's being booked? Is there a certain time span on how long someone needs to job consistently before they are being "buried"? Is it all about how badly they're looking compared to how good they looked before? If so, was the Brooklyn Brawler ever in a position where you could consider him "being buried"?

I'm sure you could talk to multiple "higher ups" at different positions about the same guys situation and get different answers. It's all subjective.

Tommy Gunn
03-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I thought Natalya was being buried, but when I actually think about it, she's still on TV every week, albeit farting and jobbing to EVE TORRES, but still on TV, but then Drew is on TV every week and does the job repeatedly.

Then I think, Natalya was doing well as part of the Divas of Destruction not too long ago, but then if we're being honest, towards the end of that she was pretty much Beth's manager in most of it.

I see Miz as someone more in upper-mid card limbo. He's been pushed too far in the past to go back down to midcard, but the WWE are focusing on building Miz's peers at the moment so he's kind of in a holding pattern, he can handle doing the job for a while without losing too much heat.

Kane Knight
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
the term is well defined but wildly missused.

Gertner
03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
There's no such thing.

People go from jobbing every week to winning titles. You really can't bury anybody.

Destor
03-08-2012, 05:33 PM
There's no such thing.

People go from jobbing every week to winning titles. You really can't bury anybody.

jobbing =/= burrying

tjmidnight420
03-08-2012, 08:31 PM
There's no such thing.

John Morrison was buried. The character, not the person. I think this is the right answer.

Gertner
03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Morrison was on his way out of the company. I call that putting people over on your way out.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
The first thing that came to mind was HHH's random comment in a promo about how he could get a better match out of a broom then most of the guys in the back could...

tjmidnight420
03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
The man playing Morrison put people over. As I said only the character was buried.

Vastardikai
03-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Anytime a storyline comes to be as a result of some "real life issue."

Piggy James being one of them. "Adorable" Adrian Adonis being another.

KaosDarksol
03-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Morrison wasn't buried he was blown up haha. Undertaker has been buried regularly but he always comes back on top

XL
03-09-2012, 06:31 AM
The first thing that came to mind was HHH's random comment in a promo about how he could get a better match out of a broom then most of the guys in the back could...
That's one that sprang to mind for me but then I figured it was a case of "burying". As in, the IWC make/made a bigger deal of it than it actually was.

Yes it was a dick thing to say and pretty needless, but 90% of the viewing audience probably won't even remember that line today.

Dukelorange
03-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Gail Kim....

Skippord
03-09-2012, 07:16 AM
I would actually kind of like to watch Triple H wrestle a broom

there's no way to pedigree a broom

Gertner
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Gail Kim sucks.

Kane Knight
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I would actually kind of like to watch Triple H wrestle a broom

there's no way to pedigree a broom

There's also no way for a broom to carry his lazy ass.

Mr. Nerfect
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I've always thought of being buried as when on-screen happenings are designed to hurt the performer and kill their heat with absolutely no positives for the performer.

For example -- The Miz is not being buried right now. You could classify him as being "de-pushed," sure, but he's still working in main events and he's part of a story. There's character development going on there.

Personally, a time I felt two guys were being buried was when Paul London & Brian Kendrick took two absolutely random Pedigrees from fellow babyface Triple H as they just stood there looking like goofs.

#1-norm-fan
03-10-2012, 01:54 AM
...he's part of a story. There's character development going on there.

Is he? Seems like he's just there for a pinfall for whoever needs it when they don't want any of the WrestleMania performers to look bad.

Mr. Nerfect
03-10-2012, 02:58 AM
He's putting them over. The wins are doing them good. No one would buy Yoshi Tatsu going over The Miz yet, and even that wouldn't be burying the guy.

XL
03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Basically, we're saying that losing doesn't equate to being "buried" IF the losses lead somewhere/progress somebody else.

#1-norm-fan
03-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm not arguing that. But by "He's part of a story" and "There's character development there" are you referring to other people's story? And other people's characters developing? If so, the hyping of his role is a TAD misleading. lol

XL
03-10-2012, 03:09 PM
It was more of a OR situation than an AND one. Progressing Miz' story OR "getting smebody else over". Either way, it was more of a "is this what we are agreeing on?" statement.