PDA

View Full Version : TNA Should Drop the Monthly PPVs

Swiss Ultimate
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Feel like they should only do one big PPV a year since they don't seem to be making money off of their monthly PPVs (last I checked). Might also give each show a real solid direction.

Would be nice if feuds all didn't start on one episode, would also be nice to have the main events mean something.

Am I wrong about them not making money? Disagree? Agree? WTF?

Cooler Tom Schuler
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I agree.

CSL
everybody point and laugh at DTTS

CSL
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2575/3738312160_ab8954f82f_z.jpg?zz=1

Xero
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
There's a method to DTTS' madness. He posted this here on purpose.

CSL
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
feel that little Asian child judging and mocking you with his little Asian finger

Swiss Ultimate
03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Little Asian...CSL, I enjoy your racism.

CSL
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
don't be hating the minorities because they're laughing in yr. face DTTS, that's just not cricket

Swiss Ultimate
03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
(Off-topic: Is "that's just not cricket" a phrase?)

Lock Jaw
I actually read an article about this some time ago (or maybe it was some interview with someone).

Most of their PPVs lose money. TNA makes their money from TV. A lot of the times (or so the article said) their PPVs feel like they are building to get you to watch TV (all the screwjobs and non-finishes) instead of TV leading to the big match at the PPV.

So cut down the PPVs. Build to Live TV Specials on Spike. Then maybe one or two PPVs a year that they actually treat like a BIG F'N DEAL.

They just have to man up and not just do it because WWE does it.

Swiss Ultimate
And I have many better reasons to hate minorities than their misguided mocking.

Droford
03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Could it have something to do with the fact that they charge the same price as WWE does? Cut the price down to $15 and I bet they would sell way more PPVs.

Same thing goes for WWE, but they're in a better position about it.

Swiss Ultimate
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I think charging too much in addition to their low ratings probably don't mix well.

KaosDarksol
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
The problem is they tape like 3 weeks of tv at once so all the build is there. They need to drop it to a couple a year and drop the price

Swiss Ultimate
03-15-2012, 07:40 PM
If they had two PPVs a year they could keep the price where it is.

Kane Knight
03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
On the contrary, I think they should have biweekly PPVs. Think about it!

Droford
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
On the contrary, I think they should have biweekly PPVs. Think about it!
It wouldnt be too much of a stretch considering they used to do weekly PPV.

I think they were like $10, so you got 4 shows per month for the same price as 1 PPV is now.

Emperor Smeat
03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Probably wouldn't go as far as getting rid of all their ppvs but the idea of building up to just a couple of ppvs could work for the short term.

They'd run the risk of too much pressure and demands on the tv shows to carry the company in terms of revenue provider. Probably would work out a lot better if it was done as part of a larger rehaul plan of TNA's management and booking committee.

James Steele
03-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Three or Four 4-hour PPVs with a bi-monthly 3-hour "Super iMPACT!" special between PPVs. Basically, borrow WCW's model when they did Clash of the Champions before the days of monthly ppvs.

Jan-
Fed- Super Sunday iMPACT! Live (3 Hour Spike Special)
Mar-
Apr- Lockdown (PPV)
May-
Jun- Super Sunday iMPACT! Live (3 Hour Spike Special)
Jul-
Aug- Slammiversary (PPV)
Sep-
Oct- Super Sunday iMPACT! Live (3 Hour Spike Special)
Nov-
Dec- Bound For Glory (PPV)

dronepool
03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
1 might be too little, but if they just have 3 or 4 in a year it could work- once a season will be cool even though we probably won't care about them either way.

BigDaddyCool
03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
they should just close up, as they are a joke.

Rollermacka
03-16-2012, 02:26 AM
they should just close up, as they are a joke.

Well, I don't think its a good idea to just shut down. Even thouh they are a distant second, competition makes a better product. I think that the best idea so far is to lower the price. If they don't want to lower the price, they could always have a "free giveaway" with every ppv order. Didn't WCW do something where you send in proof of your bill and they send you a poster or shirt, something small like that? Its an idea, they give away a few Velvet Sky posters and possibily sell move PPVs

Darkone
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
I like the idea of just having 3 or 4 a year. If you look at the WWE model at this point its kinda hard to hyped for the PPVs. If its not WM or the Rumble, how much do you really care? I know that I don't.

I should go back to watching shit from Smartmark.

Lock Jaw
03-16-2012, 02:35 AM
I think James Steele has pretty much got the right idea. As always.

RiX1024
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
What James Steele typed.

loopydate
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Three or Four 4-hour PPVs with a bi-monthly 3-hour "Super iMPACT!" special between PPVs. Basically, borrow WCW's model when they did Clash of the Champions before the days of monthly ppvs.

Bischoff has been saying this in interviews since before TNA hired him. I think it's a great idea, but apparently they have time left on their contract with the PPV provider so it's not changing any time soon.

#1-norm-fan
03-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah, WCW and WWE both worked their way to monthly PPVs. They didn't just start doing it because it was "the norm" like TNA has done.

They need to start doing a PPV every 3 months. Give yourself 3 months to hype each match and build anticipation without blowing your load on feuds within a few weeks. If that starts catching on, you've got your "Big 4" and eventually you can fill in the gaps.

Destor
03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
yes

Mr. Nerfect
03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
I agree entirely with what James Steele said. Have three of four PPV events a year, and make sure that each of them is worth the price of admission. Lockdown, Slammiversary and Bound For Glory seem like their "big three," but I'm wondering if Destination X could be offered as a special event that they charge for a year. I think I read something about it doing quite well last year (for a TNA PPV, I mean).

With those Live Impact specials, I think they could even try to angle them so they are on the same time as the WWE PPVs. Not to compete or put the WWE out of business, or anything, but when you have a free alternative on a PPV weekend, you have at least got a talking point.

Take this year's Victory Road. I've been enjoying TNA television lately, but do you know which match really needs to be on PPV? None of them. They all feel like stepping stones to something else, except for maybe Roode vs. Sting (which has a pretty good story and seems like a proper main event) and Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy. But I guarantee those issues won't end at this PPV. Everything else feels like something we should get on Impact, and truth be told, a lot of it we have lately. Just give us Lockdown in a few weeks.

Kane Knight
03-17-2012, 09:27 AM
It wouldnt be too much of a stretch considering they used to do weekly PPV.

I think they were like $10, so you got 4 shows per month for the same price as 1 PPV is now.

And with that, Noid finally gained a rival for the title of "TPWW's Captain Obvious."

Dukelorange
03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
James Steele hit the nail on the head... I also think WWE should do the same thing, or possibly go back to Brand themed shows. It would give some of the mid card to shine and possibly elevate instead having the same group of people.

Didnt WWE and WCW alternate month PPVs back in the day?

theregulator
03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
tna should drop tna

Mr. Nerfect
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
I wish I was witty enough to make "Captain Obvious" jokes. I haven't heard one of them since I was 8. Retro shit.

crusnik
03-17-2012, 11:25 PM
think they should get their act together first then do only three a year.

Mr. Nerfect
03-17-2012, 11:55 PM
TNA are sort of getting their act together now.

Mr. JL
03-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I would totally buy a TNA PPV if it were only $15. At least the ones where there were a select few matches that could be good-to-great.

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I wish I was witty enough to make "Captain Obvious" jokes. I haven't heard one of them since I was 8. Retro shit.

Amusing, watching you use a "that joke is dated/childish" joke that itself is quite dated and childish.

Then again, I wouldn't want you to break from your normal formula. For your next trick, you can explain the origins of a joke without getting it and come full circle.

erickman
03-18-2012, 10:45 AM
then the wwe watches what tna does, and they drop about 4 of there ppvs

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 10:47 AM
TNA are sort of getting their act together now.

Speaking of dated comments....

I mean, we seem to hear this every three to six months. It's been going on since the days of those weekly PPVs your fellow stand-up was explaining. It's like some serious Orwellian shit going on, except it's not the Government indoctrinating people.

Yeah yeah, I know. "Nineteen Eighty-Four called, it wants its joke back."

Just saving you the effort.

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 10:50 AM
then the wwe watches what tna does, and they drop about 4 of there ppvs

That wouldn't really be so bad. Except for them. Which, of course, is why they wouldn't do it. Increasing the number of PPVs and prices of them is how they've stayed solvent. Most of their financial reports are: "Ticket sales are down, but ticket revenues are up. PPV buys are down (with a few exceptions) but PPV revenues are up."

Well, that and merchandising.

No way would they be so desperate to copy TNA that they'd follow this pattern UNLESS it was costing them money to keep to their current model.

And say what you want about the practices of WWE, but they do know how to keep money coming in and keep their shareholders happy. At least until the next active wrestler dies.

JimmyMess
03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
TNA should stop...

.... that's it.

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
TNA should stop...

.... that's it.

But then who would provide absolutely no competition to WWE?

whiteyford
03-18-2012, 03:38 PM
They should go the way of the original ECW or the WWE during the brand extension when it was actually enforced and have a PPV quality Impact show every other month rather than a PPV to build interest. Or you know actually make a PPV thats worth paying for rather than an expensive teaser for the next weeks Impact.

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
They should go the way of the original ECW or the WWE during the brand extension when it was actually enforced and have a PPV quality Impact show every other month rather than a PPV to build interest. Or you know actually make a PPV thats worth paying for rather than an expensive teaser for the next weeks Impact.

But people love to come out of PPVs with no resolution!

whiteyford
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Worst example i remember seeing off the top of my head was the first feast or fired match,where they opened the briefcases on Impact a week or two later instead of on PPV, great booking right there.

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Worst example i remember seeing off the top of my head was the first feast or fired match,where they opened the briefcases on Impact a week or two later instead of on PPV, great booking right there.

Yeah, at this point I don't think I'd bother with the PPVs, just because I've been conditioned to understand nothing goes on there.

I don't know what's not to get. The idea of the TV product is to promote the PPV. They're giving you the first dozen chapters for free and then telling you to buy the end of the book. It seems like a pretty obvious deal. Now, not everything should get resolved at a PPV, but there should be several things coming to a head at them. Some things continue, some don't, but without the ending, there's no motivation to pay.

Also, nobody's going to stand around the water cooler and say, "Gosh, I bought the PPV last night. I can't wait to see the resolution in a couple weeks on a cable broadcast!" I mean, I get the feeling most people who watch TNA don't work in places where one congregates around a water cooler (or are allowed to have any sharp objects), but you get the point.

I mean, I like the idea of doing something PPV level for free once in a while. but when you pull out all the stops on cable and hold back on PPV, you're doing it wrong.

whiteyford
03-19-2012, 05:38 AM
The worst of it was i'm sure it was advertised/hyped in a way that they would be opened on PPV but we all got Russo'd, think that was the point i stopped watching TNA even though we get the PPVs free here.