PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Star Trek Captain

DLVH84
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Here's all the Captains...

Captain Christopher Pike - The Original Series (Original pilot only), portrayed by Jeffrey Hunter
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110406053143/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ae/Christopher_Pike%2C_The_Cage.jpg

Captain James Kirk - The Original Series, portrayed by William Shatner
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120318020857/memoryalpha/en/images/0/0f/James_Kirk%2C_2266.jpg

Captain Jean-Luc Picard - The Next Generation, portrayed by Sir Patrick Stewart
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120205053118/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a0/Jean_Luc_Picard_2364.jpg

Captain Benjamin Sisko - Deep Space Nine, portrayed by Avery Brooks
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101120003434/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a9/Sisko2375.jpg

Captain Kathryn Janeway - Voyager, portrayed by Kate Mulgrew
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070507125414/memoryalpha/en/images/1/17/Kathryn_Janeway%2C_2377.jpg

Captain Jonathan Archer - Enterprise, portrayed by Scott Bakula
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111114211341/memoryalpha/en/images/b/bc/Jonathan_Archer%2C_2155.jpg

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
You should make this a poll.

I guess Kirk wins. I never liked Picard (he's so BORING), Sisqo annoys me, and the less said about Enterprise, the better. Kinda liked Janeway, but she's the most erratically written character ever.

Oh, can I pick Sulu? He was a captain, right?

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Picard. He is the best of all. He was a Borg and played the flute.

Kane Knight
03-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Also, James T Kirk went hunting with Dick Cheney.

Swiss Ultimate
03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Benjamin was a Commander of a space station...when did he pick up Captain? (What season?)

Kane Knight
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Benjamin was a Commander of a space station...when did he pick up Captain? (What season?)

I checked Wikipedia, and they say:

Sisko is promoted to Captain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_%28Star_Trek%29) on Stardate 48959 (DS9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine), Season 3 Episode The Adversary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adversary_%28Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine%29)).

Kane Knight
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
So season 3

Swiss Ultimate
03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Okay, that makes sense.

Navy Geek Time: Unless he was the Captain of a Starship he was not a real Captain. Alternately, if he was in charge of a Starship and was only a Commander his crew would still call him Captain.

jcmoorehead
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM

It was at the end of season 3 he became a Captain.

I have to say having grown up watching TNG I'm going to give it to Picard but it is quite close between him and Sisko.

I never really got into ToS but Kirk comes in at third, then it's level between Janeway and Archer.

Edit: KK beat me too it :)

He was technically in charge of the Defiant, so I guess that would class him as a real captain. Funnily enough in the episode I watched a few days ago, Dax took charge of the Defiant as Commander and the tradition you just mentioned of calling her Captain actually came up.

Kane Knight
03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Okay, that makes sense.

Navy Geek Time: Unless he was the Captain of a Starship he was not a real Captain. Alternately, if he was in charge of a Starship and was only a Commander his crew would still call him Captain.

Yeah, but it's not the Navy. It only draws on Naval tradition. Even then, only when convenient. They've all but eliminated sodomy. Hell, they didn't even have an openly gay crew member until Reboot Spock.

Actually, I think they made a big deal about that in a couple of Trek shows.

BigDaddyCool
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Okay, that makes sense.

He is captain of the Defiant.

El Fangel
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise.

Swiss Ultimate
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but it's not the Navy. It only draws on Naval tradition. Even then, only when convenient. They've all but eliminated sodomy. Hell, they didn't even have an openly gay crew member until Reboot Spock.

Actually, I think they made a big deal about that in a couple of Trek shows.

Odo was gay.

He is captain of the Defiant.

Oh snap.

Mooияakeя™
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
The more I watched Enterprise the more I liked it. Manny Coto was the fucking saviour of that show, pity Berman fucking stayed there too long. Ronald D. Moore and Manny Coto should get a show on the go again.

I nominate a new captain...

http://s12.postimage.org/wgwi6yzjv/Captain_xxxxx.jpg

But out of the above? It's hard between, the latter 4. Neither really stand out. Stewart is an amazing actor and you believe in Picard's soul. I enjoyed Voyager the most. I'd go with Picard.

Mooияakeя™
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
The Inner Light is an amazing episode that shows why Stewart owned that role.

Kane Knight
03-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Odo was gay.

Odo didn't even have a gender.
Stewart is an amazing actor and you believe in Picard's soul.

I didn't. Then again, even in the later years of TNG I found most of the cast to be sterile.

Taker it Easy
03-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Picard

FourFifty
03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Okay, that makes sense.

I'm fairly sure whomever has the highest rank on a ship, unless stated otherwise by the actual captain, is considered the captain. This is how in the StarTrek MMO you become captain. Everyone higher than you dies.

Shisen Kopf
03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Darth Vader

Captain of Fun
03-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Was never a huge star trek fan, but I did watch TNG and DS9 when I was a kid, simply because it was right after cartoons.

That said, I would pick Sisko, because one of my few memories of the shows, is when Sisko just punched that q guy in the face, like a boss.

LoDownM
03-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Sisko punched Q, and Q never came back to DS9. Sisko wins.

XCaliber
03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
The correct answer is Picard but Kirk was the best Admiral of them all even though he didn't hold the rank for very long.

Kane Knight
03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Sisko punched Q, and Q never came back to DS9. Sisko wins.

Just imagine. TNG would have been two episodes long if Picard had thought of that.

Destor
03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Scott Bakula wins because of Quantum Leap alone.

Kane Knight
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Scott Bakula is awesome. Captain Archer? Not so much.

Actually he wasn't so bad, just not particularly great.

Kapoutman
03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Picard because of the way he adjusts his shirt. You know he means business when he does that.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-20-2012, 12:39 AM

Fuck that shit. If anything that's why he automatically LOSES. I could never take him seriously as a Captain cause I was waiting for Al to come through and tell em Ziggy says he has to act wooden to ruin Star Trek.

Mission Accomplished Dr. Beckett.

I have to say it's a three way tie with Sisko, Picard and Kirk. They were all three awesome in their own way.

I don't get why there has to be all sort of fighting between the people who like each Captain. There's barley enough time to fight the idiots who like Twilight to have all of this in-fighting.

I also don't get Star Trek Vs. Star Wars fighting either.

It's really too bad Xbox got rid of Netflix Party. With all Trek on there now it would have been pretty sweet.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Okay, that makes sense.

They reference that Naval Tradition when Jadiza took the Defiant out on patrol in season 5.

Hanso Amore
03-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Picard by a mile. The only people who should even count are he and Kirk. The rest is garbage.

Kane Knight
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't get why there has to be all sort of fighting between the people who like each Captain. There's barley enough time to fight the idiots who like Twilight to have all of this in-fighting.

I'm pretty sure this is what you're referencing, but just in case:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mvTCr5Z-0lA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I doubt get the fan wars, really, but I do get why people feel differently about the various captains. Not to mention the other actors.

Blue Demon
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Picard is the best Captain.

Mooияakeя™
03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I didn't. Then again, even in the later years of TNG I found most of the cast to be sterile.

I agree with some of the cast tbf. But I believe Picard really stood out. As I said, The Inner Light is prob the best episode of him at his best for me, but there's a few others I remember, they come on over here repated a lot, if I see one, I'll mention it. But I guess it's your opinion.

I felt Janeway to be very standard, but loved Voyager

Rammsteinmad
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I bet DLVH's fave is the guy who appeared only on the pilot episode.

Anyhow, mine is Picard, since The Next Generation is the only series I really cared about.

DLVH84
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd say either Picard or Sisko.

Lock Jaw
03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xEZcslNOEBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poit
03-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Picard or Sisko.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-21-2012, 02:46 AM
I bet DLVH's fave is the guy who appeared only on the pilot episode.

Anyhow, mine is Picard, since The Next Generation is the only series I really cared about.

Nah, I'm guessing his favorite Captain is Robert April. He only appeared once in Star Trek the Animated Series (non-canon) and in a few other non-canon Star Trek novels. According to those non-canon sources he is the original Captain of the NCC 1701 before Kirk and Pike.

Immortal Moose
03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Picard

Kane Knight
03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Picard is the best Captain. Also, I am a bitch.

I agree with some of the cast tbf. But I believe Picard really stood out. As I said, The Inner Light is prob the best episode of him at his best for me, but there's a few others I remember, they come on over here repated a lot, if I see one, I'll mention it. But I guess it's your opinion.

I felt Janeway to be very standard, but loved Voyager

My problem with Janeway is that she was poorly written. She's all over the place. Picard and Kirk, love 'em or hate 'em were pretty consistent. Janeway would be all "Federation uber alles!" one episode and then "fuck the rules!" The next. Sisko seemed to do what Janeway should have, in that he frequently had to wrestle with a line between the rules and what was right. And in that sense, I liked him a lot. But he also annoyed me frequently.

I kinda wanted to like Janeway, but half the time she was so erratic you had to wonder if Starfleet has any mental health screening program in place to stop bipolars from getting in. Because they should.

I should also note that, for me, Voyager was the first Trek I really watched consistently. My Dad had some VHS tapes of the first series, but TNG and DS9 were both not aired on local affiliates. It was only when we got UPN that we could watch a Star Trek show, and as such, I'm often inclined to give it more leeway.

It's kind of like that "You never forget your first Doctor" thing with Doctor Who. And Hell, since I grew up on the movies, you could explain my predisposition to Kirk. Though I do admit he's a cheesier character.

But yeah, Janeway was basically manic-depressive because nobody seemed to know what to do with her. One minute, she was the last Bastion of Starfleet in a strange new frontier. The next, she was a wild cowboy who was every bit as "illogical" as Kirk and twice as volatile. Either would have worked, I think, but both can't.

Nark Order
03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm a Sisko guy, myself. DS9 just took me off guard a bit. I never wanted to give it a chance and then when I finally did, it blew me away.

DLVH84
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
My problem with Janeway is that she was poorly written. She's all over the place. Picard and Kirk, love 'em or hate 'em were pretty consistent. Janeway would be all "Federation uber alles!" one episode and then "fuck the rules!" The next. Sisko seemed to do what Janeway should have, in that he frequently had to wrestle with a line between the rules and what was right. And in that sense, I liked him a lot. But he also annoyed me frequently.

I kinda wanted to like Janeway, but half the time she was so erratic you had to wonder if Starfleet has any mental health screening program in place to stop bipolars from getting in. Because they should.

I should also note that, for me, Voyager was the first Trek I really watched consistently. My Dad had some VHS tapes of the first series, but TNG and DS9 were both not aired on local affiliates. It was only when we got UPN that we could watch a Star Trek show, and as such, I'm often inclined to give it more leeway.

It's kind of like that "You never forget your first Doctor" thing with Doctor Who. And Hell, since I grew up on the movies, you could explain my predisposition to Kirk. Though I do admit he's a cheesier character.

But yeah, Janeway was basically manic-depressive because nobody seemed to know what to do with her. One minute, she was the last Bastion of Starfleet in a strange new frontier. The next, she was a wild cowboy who was every bit as "illogical" as Kirk and twice as volatile. Either would have worked, I think, but both can't.

And she was promoted to Vice Admiral.

Mooияakeя™
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
http://static.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-kirk-feature.jpg?37d72e

Is he allowed in. Doubt he'll get votes. But no point re-doing any threads.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-29-2013, 12:38 AM
He's better than Archer. I think he needs to channel more Shatner in his performance. The only time I felt it in the first reboot movie was when said "Spock............it'll work."

El Vaquero de Infierno
03-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Janeway was a sanctimonious cow. She annoyed the hell out of me.

Picard all the way.

Tom Guycott
03-29-2013, 06:58 AM
It's really too bad Xbox got rid of Netflix Party. With all Trek on there now it would have been pretty sweet.

Apparently, that was a Netflix thing, not a Microsoft thing (surprisingly).

Still, it does suck ass that it's gone.

Mooияakeя™
03-30-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't have an Xbox, but accordingly to a friend, it's still available in the UK.

Apparently, you can have it back in the US?!?! - If they want you to. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57563408-93/obama-signs-netflix-backed-amendment-to-video-privacy-law/

The Condor
03-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Picard is my vote.

Swiss Ultimate
03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Picard on TV, Kirk in the movies.

The Rogerer
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Picard on TV, Kirk in the movies.

Kane Knight
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't have an Xbox, but accordingly to a friend, it's still available in the UK.

Apparently, you can have it back in the US?!?! - If they want you to. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57563408-93/obama-signs-netflix-backed-amendment-to-video-privacy-law/

Was that why they killed it in the first place? I didn't think that this would apply to the way it worked on Live.

Then again, I also would have thought the social stuff they already had on Netflix by the time this became law would violate it, so whatever.