PDA

View Full Version : Jericho's Run - Opinion's?

Maluco
05-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Jericho is maintaining on twitter that his most recent run is finished and there is a lot of speculation that he was meant to go after this next PPV without the suspension (probably jobbing to Orton on the way out)

I was always a big fan of Jericho, but I have to be honest, this most recent run sucked. Jericho seems to think that these fun videos don't need to come to anything, but people were expecting something big when he came back...and they got nothing. Then came the silent promos, where we all waited for him to explain his actions as he took up 10 minutes of Raw to be silent...it also went nowhere. This was followed by the Royal Rumble and a thrown together feud with Punk, which was a cheesy, unbelievable storyline, but at least gave us a few good matches (which were, however, immediately beaten in quality by Bryan/Punk).

Anything after that isn't even worth mentioning...a rinse and repeat exercise to prove he is the best in the world, with what looks like having no resolution.

I dunno, as a fan, I am disappointed and don't really see why he came back. Maybe some of you enjoyed this run and I would like to hear what you think it brought to WWE?

If you are like me and didn't enjoy this run (despite liking Jericho the performer), where do you think it went wrong? Was it a lack of good writing or preparation? "Let's bring him back for Mania", without really having a strong idea of what to do with him? Was it overhyped and just simply failed to deliver? had he come back without the promotion and silent promos, and "end of the world", would it have been a perfectly acceptable run?

The other thing I thought about could piss off quite a few fans of his, but I considered the fact that Jericho simply isn't a big enough star to come in and out like he does. Has he earned the right like The Rock? yes, he has...but is his star bright enough to come back for such a limited time and make an impact? Perhaps not?

Maybe in the future, if Jericho is going to come back again for something like that....I personally would tell him not to bother. In my opinion, it was disappointing and didn't serve a purpose. Would have preferred Dolph at Mania in a bigger match and, for me, Jericho coming back seemingly served no purpose.

What are the opinions about it here?

tjmidnight420
05-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Feel like Jericho accomplished exactly what he wanted in coming back. He got the Mania payday he wanted, and he's already confirmed for WWE 13.

Impeccable
05-28-2012, 11:35 AM
He came back to get a payday and be someone established to put Punk over without harming anyone else's push or status. It was entertaining for a while, but yes ultimately disappointing.

However, if you have a guy with the experience of Jericho willing to be with the company and as a company they want him, it's crazy to say "no thank you". Too valuable for many reasons to just say no, to.

Fox
05-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Obviously he got paid to come back, but I honestly don't think that the money was nearly the biggest factor in his return. Jericho left because he felt there wasn't really anything else for him to accomplish in the WWE. When CM Punk started blowing up, it was not long before rumors of Jericho returning to challenge Punk for the Best in the World title started to spring up everywhere. Jericho came back because he saw an opportunity to help a young guy get even more elevated.

Currently, yes, I don't feel like Jericho's run amounted to much. I think he got a shitty deal in that he returned the same time The Rock was returning for his huge match at Mania, that Triple H, Undertaker and HBK were all having their big send off, and then Brock Lesnar came back. All of this meant less screen time for Jericho/Punk, and less attention and importance on their feud.

However, I think that in 10 years, people will look back at WrestleMania 28 and recognize Jericho vs. Punk as the best pure wrestling match on the card. And there really was something brilliant in Jericho's first few silent promo weeks. Never seen anything like that before, and even though it didn't pan out to something ground breaking or truly huge, it was innovative, different, and will surely inspire future generations of wrestlers to think outside the box when it comes to their characters and their promos and personalities in the ring.

Jericho's run was not a waste. It's never a waste when someone that good comes back to the company. His presence alone elevates the show.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
He was also in better shape than I've EVER seen him.

Fox
05-28-2012, 12:24 PM
And his new entrance with the power shutting down and the light brite jacket is pretty fucking sweet.

tjmidnight420
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Obviously he got paid to come back...... His presence alone elevates the show.

Just wanted to say that this post was well worded and I agree with him elevating the show.

Asmo
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I like the fact that Jericho constantly tries to reinvent, and add on a new layer. Be it the attire, the entrance, or adding on new spins to the wrestling he does. Did his current run disappoint? Well, not really. It was a bit pointless, in retrospect. But i thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I was very very disappointed. The intro was cool as hell, his in-ring performance was really good, but the storylines sucked and barely, at the most, got Punk over. I know he was capable of doing far better than this run, as his past runs prior to making short-term appearances were fucking awesome. He still has excellent wrestling skills and has shown that, but I think he's pretty lacking with the promos nowadays. His heart is obviously not in the company anymore, and no offense to him as a person, but he doesn't need to come back to it.

DrCrawford
05-28-2012, 01:24 PM
yeah i love jericho but was disappointed that the return just felt..lacking.

Tommy Gunn
05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
He made his opponents look good, but in doing so has come off looking weaker and less of a legit threat.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I blame poor writing. It started out promising with the silent promo and then the crying promo... and then it turned out they didn't have an endgame planned (Like with most things lately) and it just turned into "Trolled ya!"

He still has it though. And putting him with Punk could have been brilliant. Same with Orton. The writing is just shit though. It may be at an all-time low.

Savio
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
It was stupid and under whelming just like all Y2J returns.

St. Jimmy
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
it was just done to try and pop a number, and to give Punk someone legit to work with for Mania. it was fine. Jericho always comes in, does a couple of good matches.

tjmidnight420
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I blame poor writing. It started out promising with the silent promo and then the crying promo... and then it turned out they didn't have an endgame planned (Like with most things lately) and it just turned into "Trolled ya!"

He still has it though. And putting him with Punk could have been brilliant. Same with Orton. The writing is just shit though. It may be at an all-time low.

I feel like this is as close to the truth as we're gonna get about this run.

Maluco
05-28-2012, 01:54 PM

I agree with this totally...the writing comes of as recycled and lazy. The storylines just seem like invented excuses to do the same matches again without any real belief that the storyline is what would invest people in the match.

It is depressing really, and I am not saying that to be critical, I am saying it as a fan who is really wanting to be interested again.

it was just done to try and pop a number, and to give Punk someone legit to work with for Mania. it was fine. Jericho always comes in, does a couple of good matches.

It didn't really achieve any number though, and with Rock and Taker on the card, they could have had Punk go over Orton in a rematch or something and used Kane to elevate someone like Dolph.

Like it or not, other talents that they should be trying to build were pushed down the card to include him and in my opinion it didn't make enough of an impact to be worthwhile.

If he did it to get paid, that's fine, more power to him, but I could do without it in the future. Don't think it did anything to elevate Punk either. Plenty of others for Punk to have good wrestling matches with...but yeah, I can see where you're coming from and WWE almost certainly thought the same...

Ruien
05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Why did it suck? Because he came in hyped that he was going to change the world and didn't? Basically he made a prediction that he would win and ended up losing, who cares? Everything is not suppose to go according to plan.

In the end, his run was rather awesome.

addy2hotty
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
The thing for me was, that the return videos were perfect in setting up him and Punk, yet we didn't get any reference to that for so long after he returned that it was all but forgotten. It was almost like he came back too early. He should have come back at the Rumble and won it as the face character, then had the heel turn on the following Raw citing the video references to the 'end of the world'.

I think how his and Punk's program turned out, might end up being one of the great WWE disappointments for me.

ace3025
05-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Lack luster, with all the cryptic hype they pushed for this there was no explanation at all. Jericho is a great performer, but as said, just doesn't give off the sense that he really "in it" anymore.

As for the writing being shit, that's the downfall of everything (including jerichos return). Case and point is Bryan v punk. The match was made the very next night after extreme rules, in fact they spent a whole raw on the tournament. However, there was no mention of their history together, nothing except AJ that brought them together, and the only furthering of the story we got was Kane hitting them both with chairs. It wasn't until the Smackdown before otl, and the pre-match promo did we get anything.

Jericho was wasted because he isn't a wrestler anymore, and because writing just doesn't know how to write

Keith
05-28-2012, 02:14 PM
When he came back, it created a lot of buzz, with his new jacket, coming out all crazy, yelling, acting like a nut, then not saying anything and leaving.

But in all reality, it was kind of disappointing after that. He basically went back to the "serious" character he was playing before he left the last time.

He's still great in the ring, so it's always a treat to see him in action. But he got lost in the shuffle a little bit. Maybe because WWE already had Rock/Cena going for WrestleMania 28, then we saw Triple H/Undertaker take form, so that had an effect too.

Maluco
05-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Why did it suck? Because he came in hyped that he was going to change the world and didn't? Basically he made a prediction that he would win and ended up losing, who cares? Everything is not suppose to go according to plan.

In the end, his run was rather awesome.

Obviously not change the world...but when you throw phrases like that around and have big hypes videos, it creates expectancy...which no storyline or action delivered...there was no pay off at all.

Am interested though, what made you enjoy the run so much, maybe it's something I hadn't thought about...

DLVH84
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
It was pretty good. He did very well putting CM Punk over, saying this is the man that you need to get behind...kinda like Leo Burke did for Bret Hart many years ago in Stampede.

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 03:06 PM
All I know is when I see a talent lose absolute interest in the business, I don't really get that excited to see them come back; this also includes Goldberg, despite the "Hype" it may create. Those goddamn writers need to stick with their fresher talent and do a better job at keeping storylines alive if they draw alot of attention, not say,"FUCK IT!" when one person's out and kill the whole thing because of it.

Emperor Smeat
05-28-2012, 04:09 PM
In terms of wrestling, his return was great since his feud with Punk was amazing. Him returning with a jacket of blinking lights was a lot better than the vest he wore in his previous return.

The only real disappointment from their feud was the lack of build in regards to the "Best in the World" tagline.

The mysterious stuff with the return videos was a bit underwhelming but then again Jericho stated recently that was never supposed to lead up into anything and instead play on his style of returning with some sort of countdown.

MoFo
05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Shit.

Only one feud wtf.

Mr. JL
05-28-2012, 06:10 PM
I think his run was pretty sick. He jobbed more often than not but is still a credible threat. He put Sheamus and CM Punk over huge. His matches were very entertaining.

I think some who maybe displeased were expecting a much longer run and Jericho in the babyface role. But I think its pretty clear that Jericho does not have much interest in a long term run so I think these sorts of mini runs are going to be what we can expect from Jericho from here on out. With short runs it makes it easier for him to be the HEEL than disappear rather than come in as a BABYFACE that leads the company for 4-6months and then disappear.

I must say I do hope for one last great Jericho babyface run. :y:

Rammsteinmad
05-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Jericho is the fucking man. He comes back and delivers all these awesome matches and promos. His run this time around did certainly feel 'lacking', but I blame this on writing, and either way, 'lacking' Jericho is still the best fucking thing in the world.

His feud with Punk could have been so much better, but it was still great. The matches were great, the promos were great. I just didn't like that despite being for the WWE Championship, it constantly played second fiddle to Cena/Rock or Cena/Lesnar. They certainly had the in-ring chemistry and the storyline got personal enough to make this a decent feud that should have lasted longer than two months... but whatever... it was still great.

Overall, this is probably Jericho's weakest run, but it's still awesome to see him either way. At 40 years of age he is still the best in the world at what he does, and if anything, the only major complaint I have about this run is that it could already be over.

Wolfpack423
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I think that CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho-Chicago Street Fight at Extreme Rules was the best WWE Title match this year. I enjoyed the Punk vs. Daniel Bryan match and it is without a doubt one of the finest matches this year, but I personally prefered the Street Fight and the feud between Punk and Jericho is the best one this year so far in my opinion.

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Like Cena said, Jericho could go toe to toe with anybody, and he definitely can and is impressive when he is in the ring. But doesn't he have the right to work out a long term contract? The reason he didn't bums me out.

JimmyMess
05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Was really looking forward to Jericho with the WWE title. Would have looked fucking awesome if he had a run, short or not.

His deal didn't really give WWE the push to give him the strap

Shisen Kopf
05-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Jericho is my 8th fav rassler of all time. The problem wasn't him, as previously mentioned the problem was the god awful writing. Jericho can put on a great match with just about anyone except Jack Swagger bc he sucks.

Sepholio
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
The only thing I'm upset about it is that it is apparently over. Hope he comes back after his tour again. He deserves to hold that strap high one more time.

Jericho vs The Rock for the title. There, I said it.

Shisen Kopf
05-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I think he should come back as Seņor Brasil or whatever Mister is in South American. Give him a pro brazil gimmick and talk about how great Soccerball is and how Brasil is the best country in the world. Also bring back Ralphus and have him dress up like one of those carnivale skanks. My friends, that=ratings

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I think he should come back as Seņor Brasil or whatever Mister is in South American. Give him a pro brazil gimmick and talk about how great Soccerball is and how Brasil is the best country in the world. Also bring back Ralphus and have him dress up like one of those carnivale skanks. My friends, that=ratings

Finally! Someone else remembers Ralphus!

Shisen Kopf
05-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Ralphus was awesome.

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Didn't he have an apprentice before that too? I could've swore he did.

Shisen Kopf
05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah Lenny Lane. He then caught the gay and teamed up with Lodi in wcw's Team Fag or whatever they were called. Seth82 will know their name.

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 11:57 PM
I missed the Even Flow theme and how Jericho used to always find a legal issue with his status and his title.

XL
05-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Was really looking forward to Jericho with the WWE title. Would have looked fucking awesome if he had a run, short or not.

His deal didn't really give WWE the push to give him the strap
I'm imaging the WWE Title with flashing lights.

Finally! Someone else remembers Ralphus!
Pretty sure a vast majority of people here remember Ralphus.

Juan
05-29-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm one of those "Jericho can do no wrong" marks tbh, so I loved every minute of this latest run.

#BROKEN Hasney
05-29-2012, 06:53 AM
I enjoyed it. The actual return sucked, but the matches with Punk made up for it.

Let's not forget that Jericho has <s>lied</s> worked people on Twitter before as well. I don't believe a word he "maintains".

Rock Bottom
05-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Think Jericho's just there to try to get guys a rub, and the rub hasn't been much of an impact for various reasons. His heart's in the right place, and honestly, so was his work. On paper, everything was great. Punk's gonna get over on Jericho, they're feeding him more, building him up more.

Problem is, what are they building him (or anyone, really) up for? Their roster/creative just can't carry any of this anywhere. When the lights go out, and the mega stars either go back home/suspended/movie-making/don't have to wrestle full time, you only have pretty much CM Punk and John Cena left doing anything.

Their roster just needs to step the fuck up or they need to riot and start hospitalizing creative. Either that, or wrestling is just gonna be something I end up watching from Rumble to Wrestlemania. Which is ok, I guess.

This stuff has really lost its magic. You can tell it has when one of the most anticipated WWE debuts (Jericho) returns after years off and puts a stud like CM Punk over and everyone's just kinda snoozing over the whole thing.

Damndirty
05-29-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm imaging the WWE Title with flashing lights.

Pretty sure a vast majority of people here remember Ralphus.

Vast... really? :roll: That's stretching it kinda far. I have noticed a great number of people here who are pretty new to wrestling history, or at least were too young to remember that time in Jericho's life.

XL
05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
* Vast majority of people that matter.

Better?

Anybody Thrilla
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
I would rather see Jericho than not see Jericho.

Ruien
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Obviously not change the world...but when you throw phrases like that around and have big hypes videos, it creates expectancy...which no storyline or action delivered...there was no pay off at all.

Am interested though, what made you enjoy the run so much, maybe it's something I hadn't thought about...

Loved how he lost at the Royal Rumble after saying "The world as you know it will end" the Raw before the show. Everything that was "suppose" to happen for the man didn't. The drinking thing was kind of lame, but it was the final phase to put CM Punk's dominance so I understood why they did it.

Basically the badass heel got the shit kicked out of him for ages it seemed and we do not see that very often anymore. Was a nice change of pace with 2 of the best characters/wreslters in the business. If Y2J would have comeback and won the Royal Rumble, won the title, and just dominated it would have been the same old stuff.

dingdongyo
05-29-2012, 06:40 PM
i didn't like it. i get the whole "reinvent" thing, but i didn't like this one.

i think next time, he should come back as moongoose mcqueen. or gordon ramsay. whatever's funnier.

KIRA
05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Vast... really? :roll: That's stretching it kinda far. I have noticed a great number of people here who are pretty new to wrestling history, or at least were too young to remember that time in Jericho's life.

How dare you sir Ralphus was the most dedicated and effective personal head of security one could ever hope for

Anybody Thrilla
05-29-2012, 06:49 PM
This run was worth it for the jackets alone.

Keith
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
^^^^
Definitely the best part. I loved the beginning, when he'd just turn on the jacket and wouldn't speak.

MisterLee
05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm so disappointed that Y2J's jacket isn't on same on wweshop.com = (

Fox
05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
It apparently cost around $10,000. Do you have $10,000?

MisterLee
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
It apparently cost around $10,000. Do you have $10,000?

Of course man..I bought a bunch of them Facebook IPOs!

Damndirty
05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
* Vast majority of people that matter.

Better?

Better!

Damndirty
05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
How dare you sir Ralphus was the most dedicated and effective personal head of security one could ever hope for

Curtis Hughes at second!