PDA

View Full Version : Did Mick Foley make Triple H?

Fox
06-17-2012, 12:11 PM
From rajah.com:

Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer was asked by a reader during his radio show (available here) why WWE has not utilized Mick Foley on television more frequently since his return to the organization last November. He said this is due to wrestler/executive Paul 'Triple H' Levesque's lobbying, who is resentful of "The Hardcore Legend."

Meltzer reports Levesque deprecates Foley whenever his name is broached in creative meetings. While Brian Gewirtz, WWE's Senior Vice President of Creative Writing, feels Foley is creative and a good performer, Levesque thinks otherwise. He says Foley 'doesn't look tough' and can't be taken seriously as an in-ring performer.

A former WWE creative writer told Power Slam in 2008 under the condition of anonymity that Levesque would disparage Foley whenever he appeared for the company, and in the process, diminished his value in the eyes of Vince and Stephanie McMahon.

"Foley is an out-of-shape nobody," Levesque was reported as saying by the writer. "No one cares about him at all. Funaki puts more asses in the seats than Foley does. He should pay us for coming on our shows."

Meltzer believes the real reason Levesque still holds Foley in contempt is because he gets irritated over the consensus of his closest co-workers that his memorable matches with Foley in 2000 'made him a star.'

Foley has criticized Levesque in the past; he took several veiled shots at 'H in his 2007 autobiography The Hardcore Diaries. He also took issue online with Levesque belittling ring announcer Lilian Garcia with a remark he felt was hurtful during an April 2010 episode of Raw. Foley acknowledged then that he may have cost himself professionally for speaking out against Levesque, but felt he had to stand by his principles.

What do you guys think about this?

It's my opinion that Triple H became a legitimate champion and main event superstar after his Royal Rumble and No Way Out matches against Cactus Jack in 2000. Yes, he had some great matches before that, mostly for the IC Title against The Rock, but he had never really proven himself in a main event atmosphere. Those two matches are classics, and Foley put himself through hell to make Triple H look like "The Game." I mean, he took a fucking Pedigree into a pile of thumbtacks for Christ's sake. Mick put Triple H over the same way he put over The Rock in 1999 and Shawn Michaels in 1997. And then Foley jobbed to Hunter again at WrestleMania 2000.

If the above story is true, then Triple H is an absolute piece of shit who doesn't recognize what was done for him in the past. Foley went out of his way to make Hunter look like a true World Champion.

If this is really the reason why we never got to see the Dean Ambrose vs Mick Foley feud come to light (which has GOLD written all over it), then fuck Triple H in his stupid ear.

Gertner
06-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Vince made HHH..

HHH is basically a mid carder who fucked the bosses daughter and got promoted into the main event because of it.

Gerard
06-17-2012, 12:15 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gerald.marley/smilies/smileypopcorneating.gif

Fox
06-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Vince made HHH..

HHH is basically a mid carder who fucked the bosses daughter and got promoted into the main event because of it.

That's a pretty narrow view of the situation. If Triple H didn't have "it" then he wouldn't have survived at the top for so long. He's had incredible matches with a wide variety of wrestlers over the past 12 years. Billy Gunn could've gotten that Triple H push and I doubt he would've lasted as long as Triple H.

Gertner
06-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Gunn slept with the wrong chick

Fox
06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm saying if Gunn had slept with Stephanie, he still wouldn't have had the staying power that Triple H has had.

Try to stay with me.

Heyman
06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
HHH made it based on his own personal merits and hard work (and yes - fucking the boss' daughter while holdings others back with politicking).

However - Foley helped HHH ascend to that next level......but Hunter would have gotten there anyways.

Unfortunately, Foley bad mouthed a lot of people in 'Hardcore Diairies' and is now payin t,he price for it.

Fox
06-17-2012, 12:21 PM
By the way, I'm reserving Page 2 of this thread for James Steele and the orgasmic flurry of Triple H pictures and .GIF's that are sure to come.

whiteyford
06-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Think Hunter would have gotten there eventually but Foley definitely cemented him as a legit main eventer with that feud in the same way Hunter gave Batista legitimacy later.

Crimson
06-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Well pretty soon he will own everything and nothing but muscle heads will be headlining main events

St. Jimmy
06-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Foley bumped like hell to get Hunter over. Foley did work his ass off, and deserves some credit.

Gertner
06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Well pretty soon he will own everything and nothing but muscle heads will be headlining main events

The more Ryback and the less vanilla midgets like Bryan and Punk the better

Keith
06-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't think Foley made Triple H at all.

Gerard
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
By the way, I'm reserving Page 2 of this thread for James Steele and the orgasmic flurry of Triple H pictures and .GIF's that are sure to come.

Better reserve page 3 and all, starting to wonder about that boy. :shifty:

Kane Knight
06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
That's a pretty narrow view of the situation. If Triple H didn't have "it" then he wouldn't have survived at the top for so long. He's had incredible matches with a wide variety of wrestlers over the past 12 years. Billy Gunn could've gotten that Triple H push and I doubt he would've lasted as long as Triple H.

They pushed Triple H despite him being ratings anathema. You don't get that result if you have "it." You also don't get that kind of chance if you aren't liked by the boss, especially if you don't have "it."

St. Jimmy
06-17-2012, 01:38 PM
http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/das+is+bullshit+_8478418b95eac47fb3040169ab808b8e.gif

James Steele
06-17-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm going to go outside and ponder my words for a little while. When I come back, I expect this shit to be cleaned up or I will unleash hell upon this thread.

Gertner
06-17-2012, 03:17 PM
HHH is basically a bit better Erik Watts

CSL
06-17-2012, 03:20 PM
lol

loopydate
06-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Yep, muscleheads like his prize signings Sin Cara and Kharma.

Mr. JL
06-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I think Mick Foley was the first guy to have good-to-great matches with the Greenwich Snob Hunter Hearst-Helmsley. The King of the Ring match, and subsequent feud afterwards, the Cage match in '97 lead to everything else for HHH.

His matches with Mick Foley were the catalyst of HHH's rise to the top.

James Steele
06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I simply think Triple H feels that Mick no longer is good enough to meaningfully contribute in the ring in a one-off match and his promos are good, but you'd have to shoehorn him into situations. Examples: Foley vs Sting for the TNA Title fucking blew. CENA, THIS IS YOUR LIFE fucking blew. Meltzer and all the other shit-stirrers like to paint Triple H as Satan Jr. and some suckass writer who got fired has sour grapes and ran with a story to Meltzer to make a quick $50.

Triple H has said in interviews that Mick Foley is the guy who solidified him as a main eventer. Mick had nothing to do with the next 5 years of work that solidified Triple H as the single greatest heel since Roddy Piper.

nolanve
06-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I'd say Foley started it off but his feud with the Rock is when he became legit in my eyes.

Crimson
06-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Yep, muscleheads like his prize signings Sin Cara and Kharma.

I'm sorry..when did Sin Cara and Kharma start main eventing?

loopydate
06-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm just saying, those are the people he's signing to contracts, which would seem to indicate that he's not just looking for "muscleheads."

Kane Knight
06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm just saying, those are the people he's signing to contracts, which would seem to indicate that he's not just looking for "muscleheads."

Until they're main eventing, that's a meaningless retort. He said they would only be Maine Events, not that they would be the only one signed?

Nicky Fives
06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Foley bumped like hell to get Hunter over. Foley did work his ass off, and deserves some credit.

I agree.... not all the credit, but definitely some.....

loopydate
06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Until they're main eventing, that's a meaningless retort. He said they would only be Maine Events, not that they would be the only one signed?

Yes, I understand that.

However, his premise is that Triple H the executive, when the day comes that he has full control of the company, will be building the promotion around people that look like Triple H the wrestler.

What I'm saying is that, in his brief time as an executive, he has shown literally no inclination toward that at all.

Fox
06-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I simply think Triple H feels that Mick no longer is good enough to meaningfully contribute in the ring in a one-off match and his promos are good, but you'd have to shoehorn him into situations. Examples: Foley vs Sting for the TNA Title fucking blew. CENA, THIS IS YOUR LIFE fucking blew. Meltzer and all the other shit-stirrers like to paint Triple H as Satan Jr. and some suckass writer who got fired has sour grapes and ran with a story to Meltzer to make a quick $50.

Triple H has said in interviews that Mick Foley is the guy who solidified him as a main eventer. Mick had nothing to do with the next 5 years of work that solidified Triple H as the single greatest heel since Roddy Piper.

Then maybe they need to portray Foley in a different light. If they ran a couple weeks of video packages featuring footage of Foley from Japan and his hardcore matches in WWE, kept it dark and very serious, and promoted it as the "Return of the Hardcore Legend," then it would work. You don't see guys getting thrown off the Cell, slammed onto thumb tacks, Speared through flaming tables or getting their ears ripped off anymore. Fuck this "Socko vs. Cobra" bullshit. Foley is a guy who can take a beating and come back for more. That's what made him a star.

Then you bring in an up and comer like Dean Ambrose or even someone like The Miz or Wade Barrett to tell Foley that he doesn't have it anymore, and that he's a Hardcore Nobody. The feud writes itself. There are a TON of guys on the roster who could benefit HUGE from going over in a hardcore environment against Foley. Look what it did for Randy Orton in 2004 at Backlash. Mick tells stories in the ring.

Dolph Ziggler giving Foley the Zig Zag or the Fameasser onto thumbtacks? I'll buy that shit.

Hanso Amore
06-17-2012, 06:15 PM
He made it on his own, but his work with Foley is what cemented his run as a Top Level guy. He Doesnt "owe" foley anything, but shouldnt be burying a guy that really did help him along the way. You cant have Batman without the Joker.

James Steele
06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Mick Foley does not need to fucking wrestle anymore. Look at this matches in TNA ffs.

Aaronp43
06-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes he did even when he was mankind he started making HHH better then he was

Fox
06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Mick Foley does not need to fucking wrestle anymore. Look at this matches in TNA ffs.

I'm not saying he should be an active competitor. But give him a strong storyline against an up and comer like Miz or Ziggler and one strong hardcore match on PPV and doubtless he will outperform the rest of the card.

I mean, it's not easy to pull a good match out of a guy as old as Sting.

Rock Bottom
06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
This is dumb. lol

Damndirty
06-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Foley helped, but did not make Hunter. If anything, DX made Hunter because it gave him some real heat to say what he's been held back to say. And don't forget the Rock! Rock and HHH were enemies for several years, and with Rock on the rise, people knew Hunter was going to be right behind him. All Hunter really needed at that point was for the Rock to turn face, and Austin to be out of the way.

DaVe
06-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Still don't understand why any insider reports should be believed, especially in the wrestling industry.

In any case, Foley didn't make Trips and neither did Stephanie/Vince. Didn't hurt, though.

MisterLee
06-18-2012, 10:56 AM
It doesn't matter if Mick Foley made Triple H or not..because it's obvious he had some part to play. I just feel what Triple H is saying is from a business aspect, Mick Foley aint gonna bring the fire. All those failed appearances as of late..and do you see how he walks down to the ring? All the bumps he took in his career + how out of shape he is, is just embarrassing. I think it be in Foley's best interest if he was not put on for wrestling purposes. And if he was to appear on TV, the creative writers gotta come up with better stuff!

K.Smoke
06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
HHH would of made it without stephanie maybe not as quickly, maybe not as far but he would of held titles and been a HOF.
This guy Foly wasn't a great wrestler and he wasn't successful because people thought he was a great wrestler. He was famous because of the type of matches he had. He looked good because his matches was weird. Shoving a sock down someones throat was never funny or intimidating to me. His only purpose was to help guys like HHH, The Rock HBK ect. ect. look better and was good at that. His statement to me is like Steve Kerr saying that MJ wouldn't of had a title if not for him. Just doesn't make sense. Foley is washed up. Its over. He can't even walk str8 anymore. He's still signed to WWE be happy. And for the record TNA wont let him fight anymore either.

Damndirty
06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe Foley can run Raw in place of Ace?

Wake Up Call
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
In a way Foley made HHH, but so did Stone Cold, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair ect....

If HHH were to start out in this era, he would no doubt be a pile of useless shit.

:love:

Damn
06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
In a way Foley made HHH, but so did Stone Cold, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair ect....

If HHH were to start out in this era, he would no doubt be a pile of useless shit.

Theodore Humpernickle, NXT superstar!

Damndirty
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Nonono NO! All of you are wrong! This is what made Triple H:

http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/9/9a/Sledgehammer.png

tjmidnight420
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
TNA does not need to fuck wrestling anymore. Look at the matches in TNA ffs.

K.Smoke
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Mic skills will get u over in any era and HHH had that. Plus he teamed up with one of the most loved superstar in the business HBK how could anyone hate DX or did Foley create that also. He also teamed up with Orton and Batista to form Evolution wasn't they fun to watch? Or did Foley create that too. HHH was great to watch. He was just that damn good.

Damndirty
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
More than anybody, HHH made HHH.

Kane Knight
06-18-2012, 11:36 PM

If HHH were to start out in this era, there might actually be established talent to feed to him.