PDA

View Full Version : The Blair Witch Project

Zeeboe
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
What are your memories, if any?

For the unaware - The story takes place in the fall of 1994. Three young twenty-something student filmmakers go to the backwoods of Burkittsville, Maryland to shoot a documentary about a local urban legend called "The Blair Witch".

The film presents itself not like any ordinary film. It's exactly like watching somebody's home movies, but it's a lot scarier because these college students discover that the Blair Witch is real, and the whole film pretty much shows them being stalked and harassed by this witch. It's more of a psychology horror film because for the most part, during the scary scenes, it takes place late at night, and you only hear the witch out in the woods doing her thing, and that's what makes it scary.

I first saw this movie back in the summer of 1999 at age sixteen, and it scared the heck out of me. I hadn't seen too many horror films at that time, so this film was pretty damn scary to me back then. I honestly was not aware if it was real or not too. The producers of this movie tried to play it off like this was in fact a true story and these college kids you see in the movie were not actors, but real people. What the producers did was set up a realistic website that treated the film as if it was some big kinda news event that you'd see on the CNN website. Also, the IMDb had listed the three people in this film as "missing", and then there were several documentaries that came on TV that made it seem like the Blair Witch was in fact a real legend. I later discovered that it was in fact all staged. Regardless though, at the time I saw it, I was terrified, and The Blair Witch Project soon become one of my favorite horror films.

Today, as of 2012, it doesn't scare me at all now because I've seen so many horror films since then, and I watched the Blair Witch Project several times through out my teen years and early twenties and it's sadly become a bit stale for me as a result. It'll probably take a really long time before it becomes fresh to me again. In a way, I can understand why some people hated/hate this film since it's mostly just three people yelling at each other in the woods, and then some people just aren't into just hearing a killer, but need to actually see it.

But I'll never forget how much it scared me in 1999. Like I said, it was one of the first horror films I watched, and it'll always be special to me as a result. I place it on the list of "high school films" because it was one of those movies I watched so often as a teenager, and talked about with my friends that when I watch it today, I can't help but become nostalgic and remember 1999. I remember my friend, my cousin, and myself all went out to the backwoods of Texas late one night, and shot our own "Blair Witch Project" film and it was a lot of fun. I need to find that tape, and put it on YouTube.

For first-time viewers: I think if you enjoy films like Paranormal Activity, you'll enjoy this one. It was the first mainstream "found footage' film. I think some teenagers today and horror-movie newbies would also still find it scary.

Nicky Fives
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
never seen it.....probably never will.....

Perry Saturn
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
never seen it.....probably never will.....

For the best, that you have not and will not. :y:

VSG
06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Seen it atleast twice, ending makes up for the rest of it.

The Genius
06-25-2012, 02:28 AM
I remember getting sick midway through the movie when I saw it in theaters because of the jerky camera movement. I thought it was a good story at the time and the ending was definitely the scariest part.

Sepholio
06-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Best movie about seeing half of someone's face while they are crying. EVER.

RP
06-25-2012, 05:02 AM
I came

Damn
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I tried watching it when it came out but it sucked and was boring. I hatted it!

Schlomey
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Still what I consider the scariest movie ever made. I don't scare easy. I don't scare at any movie really...Just a few..And ONLY the ones with a supernatural force or "ghost" that cannot be seen.

The realism shown in Blair Witch was unique and visionary at the time.

The screaming and running in the woods and the kids voices while they are in the tent...Gets me on the edge of my seat.

I do not care if it is daytime or night time. This movie makes my heart race.

So, in summation, I enjoy this film and I get the rare thrill of actually being scared.

Rammsteinmad
06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
I've seen bits of it, but never sat through and watched the entire movie. Just have no interest in it, and I feel any of the actual major scenes have already been used/copied/parodied so much that I couldn't care less.

I haven't ruled out never watching it, just have no interest right now.

Props to the makers though, to basically make a cheap, tacky film and have it become a worldwide hit.

El Fangel
06-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Great movie. Hate what it spawned however.

Schlomey
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I've seen bits of it, but never sat through and watched the entire movie. Just have no interest in it, and I feel any of the actual major scenes have already been used/copied/parodied so much that I couldn't care less.

I haven't ruled out never watching it, just have no interest right now.

Props to the makers though, to basically make a cheap, tacky film and have it become a worldwide hit.

I wouldn't call it tacky. At the time it was visionary and I BELIEVE it to be the first full length major motion picture of it's kind. I could be offbase.

Crimson
06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah I was scared in the first one. Only because I didn't know any better and I thought it was real. And I had no internet access for research and all. It could still be scary if done correctly, I mean paranormal activity has some nail biting moments.

XL
06-25-2012, 04:46 PM
It was truly groundbreaking at the time of release. The camera style, the marketing, the use of sound, etc was all revolutionary at the time and pretty much spawned a genre of it's own.

That said, when I saw it at the cinema, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed largely due to the intensity of the hype. Without all that built-in hype it would likely have had more/lasting impact.

stultiloquy
06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
The sequel was a steaming pile of garbage, however, I enjoyed the first one quite a bit.

I think if you see it for the first time right now the impact it had in it's original debut would be lost, but it's still one of my favorite horror films.

YOUR Hero
06-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah it creeped me out a little. I remember being out in the country and having to go down into their basement. It was dimly lit, and had an earth floor. I remember getting this awful creepy feeling and getting out of there. I remeber giving myself shit, becuse I had a lot more work to do down there. It was a tough day, LOL This was like 2 years latter after seeing the movie.

weather vane
06-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Scared the shit out of me as a child.

Damndirty
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I really like it! You really gotta have an open mind to sit through it though. The part with the warping howl amongst the voices of children still fucks me up.

Fox
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I saw it when I was a kid, maybe 10 or 11. I grew up on horror movies: Child's Play and Nightmare on Elm Street were regular viewing for me. But I'd never seen anything in this "reality TV" style before, and that scared the hell out of me. I remember having nightmares about the final scene where the guy is standing in the corner of the room in the basement. I refused to go downstairs when the lights were off for months.

The best thing about this movie for me is that it spawned me and my friends to start shooting "The Ding Dong Ditch Project." It's exactly what it sounds like. Late at night we would sneak out with my parent's camera. One of us would knock on a random door while the other hid in a nearby bush or tree and recorded the person coming to see who was there. Then the person with the camera had to turn it to their face and pretend to cry and say "I'm so scared right now!" I wish I still had those videos.

It was probably a youth thing though. I distinctly remember my father saying "What a piece of shit" when it was over.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-05-2012, 05:31 PM
As mentioned by others in the thread, the final scene when they are in the basement still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. But other than that nothing about the film sticks out to me.

Fryza
07-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I enjoyed what the movie tried to do, and I enjoyed reading how the director really messed with the actors while they were out there.

Wasn't great, but there were a lot of worse horror films- and still are.

Curtis Anderson
07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that they showed a documentary on television the year after it was released and proved that the story was real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVXEsYLKdxc

weather vane
07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Who is this Curtis Anderson guy?