PDA

View Full Version : 5 years ago today.....

Nicky Fives
06-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Chris Benoit.

:'(

Hard to believe it has been 5 years.....

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3o8utiMAW1r48uvvo1_1280.png

tjogo
06-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Chris Benoit.

:'(

Hard to believe it has been 5 years.....

That's so weird.

I was watching his theme earlier and i forget how cool it was.

That guy took wayyyyy too many bumps in the ring.. it's kind of sad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6g4D4dStmY

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 12:31 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/541/158/ChrisBenoit_display_image.jpg?1320856888

Heisenberg
06-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I know it wouldn't be right given the final curtain that was given, but WWE should come to terms with the fact that he did exist in the history books.

#1-norm-fan
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Wasn't a huge fan of him as a main eventer. Awesome fighting for the IC/US Title though. Guys like him were made to steal the show from the upper-midcard but be boring as hell if they get overpushed.

Also, not really a fan of the whole murder thing.

Triple Naitch
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Ehhh. Fuck him. He killed his family.

Not trying to flame or be a troll. He was a great wrestler, but his history does not deserve to be celebrated.

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 12:37 AM

Not trying to flame or be a troll. He was a great wrestler, but his history does not deserve to be celebrated.

Dunno, I still believe he wasn't 'himself' when he killed his family. What he did was the absolute worst, but I like to remember him by his career up to then. We're all entitled to our own opinions on it though, and I hope this thread doesn't turn into a massive flame/troll war.

loopydate
06-25-2012, 12:40 AM

I go back and forth on this. Yes, he killed his family - an unforgivable, despicable, unthinkable, inhuman act.

But knowing what we know about brain injuries that we didn't know (but suspected) half a decade ago, I now actually wonder whether I can still hold a grudge against him knowing that it wasn't really "him" doing it. His body committed those vile acts, but his mind had deserted him.

It's a very difficult position to be in as someone who was a huge fan of his work, because I want him to be recognized for his accomplishments, but he'll probably also carry that "asterisk" forever.

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Yeah, what loopy said.

tjogo
06-25-2012, 01:05 AM
I go back and forth on this. Yes, he killed his family - an unforgivable, despicable, unthinkable, inhuman act.

But knowing what we know about brain injuries that we didn't know (but suspected) half a decade ago, I now actually wonder whether I can still hold a grudge against him knowing that it wasn't really "him" doing it. His body committed those vile acts, but his mind had deserted him.

It's a very difficult position to be in as someone who was a huge fan of his work, because I want him to be recognized for his accomplishments, but he'll probably also carry that "asterisk" forever.

Yeah, look at what happened to junior seau.

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 01:06 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JuinzZCy8-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 01:07 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TtVTtBx9tBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Chris Benoit: The TPWW thread (http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64884&highlight=chris+benoit)

That brings back some pretty bad memories.

Tom Guycott
06-25-2012, 01:21 AM

I disagree with this. One thing shouldn't have bearing on the other.

For example, say what you want about OJ, but it doesn't erase his history of being a great football player. Same case here.

20+ years of wrestling history isn't negated simply because of one deplorable act at the end of his life.

This, of course, doesn't mean it's excusable. By the way, it feels silly that everyone always needs to preface this point so they don't get crapped all over... like we are excusing the murder part. Not the case. Just saying the murder didn't go back and change the fact that he had a legendary best of 7 with Booker T in WCW, or had some damn classic matches in WWE, or more or less put MVP on the map, or even help the idea that "vanilla midget" mat wrestlers can be believable world champions instead of being exclusively 6'6" power move "hosses".

It would be kind of like if we all found out that former President Ronald Reagan became a serial rapist near the end of his days. Would we then destroy all evidence of his movies, and his political career all the way through his presidency because we found this out? Would we have no 40th president... just skip right from Carter to Bush Sr. with 8 years unaccounted for?

Again, one thing has nothing to do with the other. I was actually a Benoit fan. Doesn't make me "pro-murderer" because he wasn't one at the time. Doesn't suddenly make his matches with Angle or Jericho less good in hindsight. Doesn't stop him from being over, selling merch, and being a highly touted worker. The only thing it truly does is make it sad and haunting to know what he will eventually end up doing later; what's on the horizon for him and his family.

Nicky Fives
06-25-2012, 01:23 AM
He may have killed his family, but watching Mania 20 gives me goosebumps everytime..... same goes for the WWE produced tribute that aired the night after.....

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Benoit's theme song used to give me goosebumps every time I listened to it from the memory of WrestleMania XX. Don't think I've listened to the song since, but I'm sure the goosebumps would be gone.

RIP Nancy and Daniel.

#1-norm-fan
06-25-2012, 01:32 AM
I agree with the whole "one thing doesn't have to do with the other thing". The difference is while you might say "Yeah he murdered his wife and kid... but fuck he was a great wrestler" I would say "Yeah he was a great wrestler... but fuck him for murdering his wife and kid."

That part kinda outshines the wrestling part. I can acknowledge that he was a great wrestler. If he was a great plumber, I'd acknowledge he was a great plumber. But in the end, the most notable thing to me is "He was a murderer". And because of that, I'm with Triple Naitch on the fact that his life doesn't deserve to be celebrated. Being good at his occupation suddenly doesn't matter.

#1-norm-fan
06-25-2012, 01:35 AM
I actually can't really watch Benoit matches anymore. My mind instantly goes to "Fuck this murderer". But that's more of just a personal "weirdness" I get watching them.

Maybe I should try watching some of his heel matches and see if my hatred makes him losing to a face while the crowd cheers more enjoyable. Hmm...

Seth82
06-25-2012, 01:35 AM
this promo is still one of my favorites

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcJiPzU70LE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcJiPzU70LE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Tom Guycott
06-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Again, not defending him for murdering his wife and kids.

Takes the luster off what he did in the ring, but it doesn't completely evaporate it from the face of time and history either.

Kane Knight
06-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Considering his brain was jello....

#1-norm-fan
06-25-2012, 01:46 AM
What flavor?

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-25-2012, 01:49 AM
I still like to know how he was able to fool WWE that there wasn't a huge problem brewing. How he was able to fake being normal awhile the CTE was scrambling his mind to the point in which it snapped.

I don't think people should blame Benoit for what he did, but the choices he made that brought it about.

I remember hearing reports from back in the day that they wanted him to stop using the headbutt and the german suplexes after his neck injury. I feel that his problems really stemmed from the fact that he chose the wrong wrestler to emulate in his career: the Dynamite Kid.

This is why I cringe every time Daniel Bryan does the diving headbutt and am baffled WWE still allows it.

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
In a sad way, if what happened with Benoit hadn't of happened, I don't believe WWE would have the wellness policy it has today. Not that it's close to perfect, but the fact it took a murder-suicide for Vince to looks at things just seems wrong.

Wake Up Call
06-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Jerry Sandusky, OJ Simpson, Chris Benoit.

All three belong in the same sentence.

I did enjoy Chris' work when he wrestled though.

tjogo
06-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Jerry Sandusky, OJ Simpson, Chris Benoit.

All three belong in the same sentence.

I did enjoy Chris' work when he wrestled though.

wrong.

Take Sandusky out of there he's lower than those two.

I think raping young boys is far worse than killing.

inb4 people debating about which is worse

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-25-2012, 02:14 AM
I'd like to say for the record I now regret not voting for St. Jimmy for King of the Wrestling Forum, but I didn't vote for RP either.

Tom Guycott
06-25-2012, 02:26 AM
I also like how my question was moved, but the suggestion of making a murder suicide into a comedy storyline was left intact.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Didn't they make an episode of the Shield based on it?

Rammsteinmad
06-25-2012, 06:24 AM
That Wrestlemania triple-threat is my favourite match of all time. As a long-time Benoit fan since 1994 (he's still one of my favourites today, based obviously on his in-ring work), I had such a huge emotional investment in that match, I had a tear in my watching him and Eddie hug with their titles. Absolutely mind-blowing that that happened eight years ago!!! Still feels 'new' to me.

I remember the day this happened, I came home from my night shift and had a text from a mate telling me "Benoit has been murdered", and my heart literally skipped a beat. Was planning on going to bed, but ended up on the internet for like, three hours or something, just reading different reports, speculation and TPWW posts. Was probably the most surreal thing to ever occur in the world of pro wrestling, and I really wish it didn't. :(

El Fangel
06-25-2012, 06:38 AM
What loopy said.

El Fangel
06-25-2012, 06:39 AM
I think this, after losing Eddie as well is what turned me off wrestling. It got too "real"

Corporate CockSnogger
06-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Didn't particularly enjoy him as a wrestler anyway, nevermind as a killer. There's much better main event murderers out there.

Shisen Kopf
06-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Who?

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Chris Benoit: The TPWW thread (http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64884&highlight=chris+benoit)

That brings back some pretty bad memories.

But please...just remember that Zeeboe a.k.a. Val Venis was the one who first predicted that it was a work.

lol

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Chris Benoit Tribute (http://tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=65766)

Only took 17 days. Quite impressed.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Page 11 of the wrestling forum thread, a theory emerges that Vince McMahon could have done it because Benoit never showed up for the ECW Title match.

Autobahn
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM

My thoughts too. I empathise that his mind was practically mush by that point, and that it may not have been 'him' in those final days, but he should always be accountable for what he did, regardless of what reasoning there was behind it.

Gerard
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
In a sad way, if what happened with Benoit hadn't of happened, I don't believe WWE would have the wellness policy it has today. Not that it's close to perfect, but the fact it took a murder-suicide for Vince to looks at things just seems wrong.

That was brought in around early 2006, it was introduced 2 or 3 months after Eddie Guerrero's death.

MoFo
06-25-2012, 09:10 AM
http://i30.tinypic.com/51oqzb.jpg

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
ROFL I'm watching Headline News right now with this Nacy Grace talking to Bret Hart and asked him if "being demoted from the 4 Horsemen group to Raw had anything to do with the murder."

http://www.tpwwforums.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

Cool King
06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PAaq9t8UfIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool King
06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I'll admit, even though that video has been around for four years, I'm still not entirely sure if it's supposed to be a positive video about Benoit or a negative one. :-\

Dante69
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Sullivan killed them all, Would't doubt it

DLVH84
06-25-2012, 12:09 PM
wrong.

Take Sandusky out of there he's lower than those two.

I think raping young boys is far worse than killing.

inb4 people debating about which is worse

I know. Put Sandusky along with all those corrupt church pastors that rape their alter boys.

Big Vic
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
He committed suicide because he was sent to ECW right?

VSG
06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Watching that whole Raw tribute show right now.

CSL
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
the few posts in here that include things like "I don't condone it but his brain injuries" or "I don't blame Benoit" etc will probably never cease to amaze me. He calculatingly killed his family over the space of 24 hours including binding Nancy's hands and feet together, taking time to consider his next move and then drugging and strangling the kid in bed the following morning. I don't care what some his friends and parents and colleagues said (although London and Kendrick seem to have the "most realistic" impression of him) the only person that really knew him is one of the people he killed. He made phone calls with legitimate sounding, coherent excuses for no-showing shows i.e had put thought into it and people had no reason to doubt him. He placed bibles next to the bodies surely indicating he knew he'd "wronged" or some shit. He knew exactly what he was doing.

He was an "international star" in a multi-million dollar company surrounded by fellow employees in all kinds of roles on a daily basis, not some vagrant walking around with brain fluid dripping out of his nose. He saw his doctor like the day before. I don't care how good his matches ever were, how many untreated concussions he ever had, how much of a fan of his you were, how surreal it is (and it is, just this past week I watched his DVD for the first time after having owned it for years but not wanting to see it and I felt hugely uncomfortable for the first 10 minutes or so. In fact watching that DVD is probably my reason for making this post since it's "fresh in my mind") there is zero justification whatsoever, he murdered his family and then himself for reasons we'll probably never know as opposed to facing the consequences and he'll forever be a piece of shit for doing so. By all means still recognize the quality of his matches and whatnot but to still even give the remotest bit of "understanding" or "reasoning" or to expect WWE to suddenly acknowledge him again is pretty much bullshit.

CSL
06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
and for some really staggering "views" on the whole Benoit "situation", check out what Billy Jack Haynes had to say in one his RF Video shoots if you haven't seen it. Probably the single most ridiculous bunch of quotes I've ever heard from anybody in relation to professional wrestling.

Corporate CockSnogger
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah pretty much what CSL said, and I also remember a post by someone in some other Benoit thread that compared him to any other profession in the world. I think the example used was a banker. Some guy could be the greatest banker in the world but then he goes and offs his wife and kid, nobody cares about his banking ability, just the fact he was a nutjob who went and killed people. This shouldn't be any different, just because this guys job was to entertain people.

Although I'm saying that as well because he pretty rarely entertained me anyway. Always found him to be one of the least interesting and most boring wrestlers around.

CSL
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, look at what happened to junior seau.

was going to avoid specific quotes but for you to even mention Junior Seau in the same context is pretty insulting to Junior Seau

Schlomey
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
watching the Benoit Tribute RAW while working. It is harder to watch than the initial first time.

1. Michael Cole talking about how a man is measured by his kids and how great of a dad he is....Brutal.
2. My heart goes out to all the wrestlers kissing his ass and pouring their hearts out.....Again Brutal.

VSG
06-25-2012, 01:30 PM
and for some really staggering "views" on the whole Benoit "situation", check out what Billy Jack Haynes had to say in one his RF Video shoots if you haven't seen it. Probably the single most ridiculous bunch of quotes I've ever heard from anybody in relation to professional wrestling.

Read about it but need to see it.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
If Sixx ever comes back, maybe we can send him to go piss on his grave.

Kapoutman
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
CSL, what did London and Kendrick say about Benoit?

I used to be such a big fan of Benoit, but there really is no excuse for what he did.

Schlomey
06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
we lost sixx AND xero? wow.

Schlomey
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
alot of people are using the word "CHILDREN" when talking about Chris in this video...Did he have more than 1 or are they just using the term as a general?

CSL
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
CSL, what did London and Kendrick say about Benoit?

I used to be such a big fan of Benoit, but there really is no excuse for what he did.

they liked/respected him a lot but kind of indicated they weren't too surprised, that he was super super intense and a bit weird and threatening etc

alot of people are using the word "CHILDREN" when talking about Chris in this video...Did he have more than 1 or are they just using the term as a general?

yah, he had more than 1 kid

Innovator
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
The guy's in ring work should be studied by anybody trying to become a wrestler, but fuck him.

Nicky Fives
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM

I believed he had two from a previous relationship, they were much older.....

VSG
06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Ya he had another boy and a girl.

tjogo
06-25-2012, 03:56 PM
does anyone have a link to the chris benoit tribute episode

VSG
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA87F04F9D605B203&feature=plcp

tjogo
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA87F04F9D605B203&feature=plcp

oh maybe that's why i couldn't find it because i was looking for a 1 hour vid and not a couple of segments. Thanks anyway.:cool:

Schlomey
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Weird I have never heard a peep from the other Benoit kids. Did I miss it or have their privacy actually been respected?

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
the few posts in here that include things like "I don't condone it but his brain injuries" or "I don't blame Benoit" etc will probably never cease to amaze me. He calculatingly killed his family over the space of 24 hours including binding Nancy's hands and feet together, taking time to consider his next move and then drugging and strangling the kid in bed the following morning. I don't care what some his friends and parents and colleagues said (although London and Kendrick seem to have the "most realistic" impression of him) the only person that really knew him is one of the people he killed. He made phone calls with legitimate sounding, coherent excuses for no-showing shows i.e had put thought into it and people had no reason to doubt him. He placed bibles next to the bodies surely indicating he knew he'd "wronged" or some shit. He knew exactly what he was doing.

He was an "international star" in a multi-million dollar company surrounded by fellow employees in all kinds of roles on a daily basis, not some vagrant walking around with brain fluid dripping out of his nose. He saw his doctor like the day before. I don't care how good his matches ever were, how many untreated concussions he ever had, how much of a fan of his you were, how surreal it is (and it is, just this past week I watched his DVD for the first time after having owned it for years but not wanting to see it and I felt hugely uncomfortable for the first 10 minutes or so. In fact watching that DVD is probably my reason for making this post since it's "fresh in my mind") there is zero justification whatsoever, he murdered his family and then himself for reasons we'll probably never know as opposed to facing the consequences and he'll forever be a piece of shit for doing so. By all means still recognize the quality of his matches and whatnot but to still even give the remotest bit of "understanding" or "reasoning" or to expect WWE to suddenly acknowledge him again is pretty much bullshit.

I didn't realise you had so much more knowledge on brain injuries than the rest of us, thanks for clearing this up, and I'm sure we'll all change our point of view on things from now.

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Seriously though, not trying to start a flame war with you, so please don't even go there, but that is merely your opinion (which you are entitled to) and not fact. Nobody here tried to force the other reasoning on anybody, and I know you know the 'buisness' better than the rest of us apparently, but it doesn't make yours right no matter how firmly you put it across.

Fact of the matter is head and brain injuries can fuck people up badly to the point where they have no idea what they're doing, and can seem quite rational. What he did was the absolute shit, but you can't avoid that point simply because you either don't, or don't want to accept that as fact.

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I also know that I have no personal info on Benoit or his health when it happened, but the evidence is all there to point to brain trauma.

XL
06-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I actually can't really watch Benoit matches anymore. My mind instantly goes to "Fuck this murderer". But that's more of just a personal "weirdness" I get watching them.
Ditto.

Mania XX was probably the most emotionally invested I have ever been in a match and thinking back about it gives me good memories...then the inevitable "Guy is a murderer" thought pops up.

Can't watch a Benoit match without that fact popping into my head. Maybe it's watching him deliver/miss the Diving Headbutt, or headbutting an opponent, or taking a chair shot to the head, etc, all in the knowledge that every one of those things may have lead him further down the path to murder/suicide.

KIRA
06-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Considering his brain was jello....

My thoughts exactly I dont know about the rest of you but Ive never bee able to say beniot was an unforgivable murderer because his mind was gone

and its never seemed fair to me that the WWE gloss over his history and Vince painted him as a monster when the truth is at the end of his life he was in fact unwell.

Kane Knight
06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
That was brought in around early 2006, it was introduced 2 or 3 months after Eddie Guerrero's death.

And it was a total joke back then.

Now it's only a partial joke.

CSL
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I didn't realise you had so much more knowledge on brain injuries than the rest of us, thanks for clearing this up, and I'm sure we'll all change our point of view on things from now.

Seriously though, not trying to start a flame war with you, so please don't even go there, but that is merely your opinion (which you are entitled to) and not fact. Nobody here tried to force the other reasoning on anybody, and I know you know the 'buisness' better than the rest of us apparently, but it doesn't make yours right no matter how firmly you put it across.

Fact of the matter is head and brain injuries can fuck people up badly to the point where they have no idea what they're doing, and can seem quite rational. What he did was the absolute shit, but you can't avoid that point simply because you either don't, or don't want to accept that as fact.

I also know that I have no personal info on Benoit or his health when it happened, but the evidence is all there to point to brain trauma.

you appear to have entirely missed my point. Brain injury or not of any severity, there is no reasoning or excuse or reason to not hold it against him simply for the sheer magnitude of what he did in the drawn out and calculating manner that it happened in. It's a shame yeah, I'm sure he didn't grow up planning on killing his family one day but that's the person he either was or that he became. But please continue to make snarky remarks or assume I'm taking shots at you or somebody else/"thinking I'm above people". That always works out really well for you.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
DISCUSSION POINTS

Assuming Chris Benoit found a way to post here despite the obvious handicap of being dead and refused to seriously talk about his murderings and suicides but made humorous quips like "That's what Nancy got for using all the hot water! Women, am I right?", how far would he get in our numerous popularity awards? Would he have a green or red all important reputation bar? Would he be accused of being Heyman?

Brought to you by the 5 year anniversary celebrations. Ceep Cripplin'!

CSL
06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I think it depends how dedicated he was to the gimmick. If he really stuck at it, after it while it'd be like "oh Chris" and he'd wind up with green rep. And I'd go with him getting accused of being Shisen Kopf first.

Emperor Smeat
06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Great wrestler in terms of legacy but as a person, inexcusable what he did to his family.

On one hand, he was in a mess both emotionally (Eddie's death) and mentally (years of hits to the head) but on the other hand, it also seemed like he was well aware of what he was doing at the ending with how planned some of the stuff was.

If we are going to remember him, also have to show some remembrance to his family. Nancy Benoit did have some legacy in wrestling even if it was mostly just as a manager/valet.

CSL
06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
plus she was hot in a filthy kind of way

#BROKEN Hasney
06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah, Nancy would've gotten it. Maybe not after she was killed, but tied up she would've (in a totally consensual and mildly kinky way. Not Benoit letting me "have a go" before he did the deed way, you sick fuck).

Kalyx triaD
06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Guys, I realize I am a jobber in this place....

But please...just remember that Zeeboe a.k.a. Val Venis was the one who first predicted that it was a work.

Infact, I am starting to believe more and more that this is all staged.

You'll all be laughing at yourselves later for this and for many years to come...mark my words...hell, I already am laughing at some of you.

As for you who are sickened by McMahon...I bet you'll still watch his product and really hate his guts....which is what he wants.

McMahon has figured out once again how to shock people...I wish I were related to him...I'd be so rich....

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 08:12 PM
you appear to have entirely missed my point. Brain injury or not of any severity, there is no reasoning or excuse or reason to not hold it against him simply for the sheer magnitude of what he did in the drawn out and calculating manner that it happened in. It's a shame yeah, I'm sure he didn't grow up planning on killing his family one day but that's the person he either was or that he became. But please continue to make snarky remarks or assume I'm taking shots at you or somebody else/"thinking I'm above people". That always works out really well for you.

You apparently missed my point also, made it clear I wasn't trying to start an argument with you, was just saying that I think you're underestimating the severity of change brain damage can cause in a person. Nobody is saying you're wrong with your beliefs, but your opening line kind of did make you seem like you were shitting on others.

Now if you want to do the whole 'Dan is trying to say I love myself' thing, feel free. I wasn't going there at all, but it's nice to see you always jump straight down that path. Time to move on my friend.

CSL
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
in that case, a word of advice for the future:

don't make idiotic comments like that, especially when they completely miss the mark, if you don't want somebody to respond to you in kind

Tazz Dan
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm sorry, I thought the first sentence of the second post made it clear I was joking. I'll be mindful to make it a bit more obvious next time. That's not being snarky there either.

Kane Knight
06-26-2012, 03:34 AM
DISCUSSION POINTS

Assuming Chris Benoit found a way to post here despite the obvious handicap of being dead and refused to seriously talk about his murderings and suicides but made humorous quips like "That's what Nancy got for using all the hot water! Women, am I right?", how far would he get in our numerous popularity awards? Would he have a green or red all important reputation bar? Would he be accused of being Heyman?

Brought to you by the 5 year anniversary celebrations. Ceep Cripplin'!

He'd be King of the Forum.

TazFTW86
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I am sure that he will bementioned somehow. Von Eriks were inducted to hall of fame. I thinj 2 committed suicide so who knows

CSL
07-01-2012, 01:59 PM

bigslimjj
07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Text Message 1 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane, Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Text Message 2 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
“The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open”
Text Message 3 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:54am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”
Text Message 4 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:55am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215"
Text Message 5 to one co-worker (sent 6/24 at 3:58am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
“My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Still fucking creepy

DAMN iNATOR
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
That's so weird.

I was watching his theme earlier and i forget how cool it was.

That guy took wayyyyy too many bumps in the ring.. it's kind of sad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6g4D4dStmY

I know, right? That humming at the beginning and end of it really gives me the legit creeps...

DAMN iNATOR
07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Text Message 1 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane, Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Text Message 2 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
“The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open”
Text Message 3 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:54am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”
Text Message 4 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:55am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215"
Text Message 5 to one co-worker (sent 6/24 at 3:58am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
“My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Still fucking creepy

You're right, everything about that day is fucked up and very creepy. Everything except for that very emotionally stirring memorial RAW show for him. I mean, considering what he'd done, Vince could've just said "fuck him... let him rot in hell for all I care..." but he didn't. He gave the fans and the talent what they needed: an emotional outlet for their grieving and mourning.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pa7C1mc4j0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the interest of keeping the rest of this post as short as possible I won't post all 13 parts of the show, but if you search the title, Remembering Chris Benoit - 06/25/2007 - RAW: Corpus Christi, TX, and then whatever part of 13, you should find it all on the YT.

Big Vic
07-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I would hate it if I was Benoit's other kid and I reallly wanted to become a wrestler in the WWE....There would be no chance they would hire me.

XL
07-03-2012, 05:32 PM
You're right, everything about that day is fucked up and very creepy. Everything except for that very emotionally stirring memorial RAW show for him. I mean, considering what he'd done, Vince could've just said "fuck him... let him rot in hell for all I care..." but he didn't. He gave the fans and the talent what they needed: an emotional outlet for their grieving and mourning.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pa7C1mc4j0g" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

In the interest of keeping the rest of this post as short as possible I won't post all 13 parts of the show, but if you search the title, Remembering Chris Benoit - 06/25/2007 - RAW: Corpus Christi, TX, and then whatever part of 13, you should find it all on the YT.
:wtf:

You realise that the details surrounding the "incident" were not known when that Memorial show went out. You reckon Vince would have done that if he'd known they were celebrating a murderer?

Keith
07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Right. At the time RAW went on the air, the WWE (as most of us) was under the impression that it was most likely a triple homicide, not Benoit going crazy.

Savio
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
People "in the back" thought something was up but yeah not enough details were released to make anyone certain it was what it was.

Saving Grace
07-04-2012, 03:37 AM
I'll put my thoughts on Chris Benoit simply as this:

You cannot erase the accolades, the accomplishments, the heart, the drive, the passion, and determination Benoit had in the ring. He was what the business calls a "ring general". There are so many highlights and so many good matches that will go down in history as favorites for all times and Benoit's name will be cemented with the legacy of those matches and the memories they left with fellow wrestlers and fans.

Its a sad and serious set of events that unfolded in Atlanta and over the years with Chris Benoit. The man obviously had dementia and was being tormented mentally to the core. He was not the Chris Benoit that wrestling fans knew. Its sad that the familes of both Chris and Nancy had to suffer through this.

We should not tarnish his legacy in the ring, but regardless not condone his actions outside the ring.

I say honor/respect/remember the perfomer and cast the person and his demons to the wayside as he obviously by research we later learned had problems long before this incident happened.

If anything can be taken away from this, awareness and preparedness in sports or sports entertainments has and needs to be a main priority and focus.

RaginRonic
07-04-2012, 05:00 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pa7C1mc4j0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The sight of that empty building...damn, that's fucking creepy. I'd bet that there were less than 30 people in the whole building then. o.o

And, to me, the whole Benoit disaster, as I call it, left behind an ugly legacy that, while Chris knew his way around a ring, that everyone lost, nobody won, and a huge mess was left in the wake of what happened that brutal June 2007 night, which I think that WWE is still cleaning up even today, given how hair-trigger the U.S. government is when it comes to drugs in anything that resembles sport.

It's good though that WWE's relations with Canada didn't take a tumble as a result of him. I don't think that WWE can afford to lose Canada as an international base, because if that happened, I'd think that other countries would run like hell from WWE in the wake of that.

I likely will be forever conflicted by what he did. Just not knowing how to handle anything related to him in my own mind as a fan of wrestling really sucks. =S

Keith
07-04-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm not conflicted at all. Dude killed his wife and son, so that just overshadows everything he ever did in the ring.

If WWE ever inducts him into the HOF, the media will pick up on it and blast WWE, and the company definitely does not need that. They've been able to stay off trouble for years now, so they most likely want to keep it that way.

Taker it Easy
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
50 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

Wehttam
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
that is totally a lie man. sgt. pepper was released in 1967, and in the first track they say that "20 years ago today" was when sgt. pepper taught the band to play. so it was 1947. thus, it was 65 years ago

Double D
07-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I still want to know what happened to Vince when that limo exploded...

On a side note, I remember Triple H saying on the memorial show about Benoit's ring skills that "he was all over you, the type of guy you couldn't get away from." Bet he blushed a bit a few days later...

Dante69
11-01-2012, 05:21 AM
I am sure that he will bementioned somehow. Von Eriks were inducted to hall of fame. I thinj 2 committed suicide so who knows

yeah, why not induct Benoit into the HOF, they all ready have a convicted Rapist inducted

whiteyford
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Who?

Shadrick
11-01-2012, 09:46 AM
yeah, why not induct Benoit into the HOF, they all ready have a convicted Rapist inducted

If Tyson had raped and then murdered, sure. We all know its a PR thing at the end of the day. Couple Benoit's HISTORY as a wrestler with the fact that Tysons rape conviction was 20 years ago, the circumstances aren't the same. I see your point though.

Gertner
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Bowflex 1 Benoit 0

Rock Bottom
11-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Say what you want about him, but it's guys like Chris Benoit that were a big part of the transitional period of the past decade in wrestling that are missing from the scene. There is a Chris Benoit-shaped gap in the roster right now, and he's not the only one. The guy was one of the top five ring workers in my book. He was great. He even managed to get over during his first hunt (and win) of the WHC, had a huge, great Wrestlemania match with Michaels and Triple H.

He killed his family. Doesn't change anything I just mentioned. I agree with the notion that it is weird not to honor such a talented guy, and also agree that, well, he killed his family... You don't condone that sort of thing!

MoFo
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I feel sorry for guys like Jericho and Booker who had a ton of great matches with him that hardly anyone will get to see now.

Kris P Lettus
11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
He committed suicide because he was sent to ECW right?

ECW made him the wrestler he was, man..

The Genius
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
iron mike tyson

Kane Knight
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
ECW made him the wrestler he was, man..

Yeah, dead.

Kris P Lettus
11-01-2012, 04:20 PM
He was a great wrestler..

He is dead..

Use English..

Dukelorange
11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
What he did is between him and God. He was good at what he does and he became a victim of what the game can do to you. His family were casulties...

Kris P Lettus
11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
If that were true then every pro wrestler would be murdering people..

Malfeitor
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
What Benoit did has absolutely no effect on me. I can watch his matches without a hitch.

But the real thing that bugs me is OJ Simpsons character in the Naked Gun movies. I just can't watch it knowing that that's the same man who got away with murder.

#1-norm-fan
11-02-2012, 10:08 PM
What he did is between him and God.

Yay cosmic justice!

#1-norm-fan
11-02-2012, 10:08 PM
What Benoit did has absolutely no effect on me. I can watch his matches without a hitch.

But the real thing that bugs me is OJ Simpsons character in the Naked Gun movies. I just can't watch it knowing that that's the same man who got away with murder.

Wait, what?

Curd
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
As a frame of reference... If Hulk Hogan snapped and offed his family before killing himself, what percentage of Hogan fans would permanently swear off the Hulkster, burn their old Hogan t-shirts, and fast forward every time a Hogan match appears on a compilation?

Kris P Lettus
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM

Nordburg was well before the double homicide..

DLVH84
11-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I would hate it if I was Benoit's other kid and I reallly wanted to become a wrestler in the WWE....There would be no chance they would hire me.

Yeah, well, Chris did have another son I recall.

Malfeitor
11-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Wait, what?

'twas a joke, my friend. I failed you.

Kane Knight
11-03-2012, 02:53 AM
He was a great wrestler..

He is dead..

Use English..

And ECW made him the wrestler he was. A dead one.

As for English, when you stop periodically breaking out in txt speek, we'll talk about who is using English.

If that were true then every pro wrestler would be murdering people..

See, that would negate the "can" part. Use English. While we're on the subject, use logic.