PDA

View Full Version : How big an achievement will it be if Arsenal go the whole season unbeaten

Ogen
05-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Well its looking likely now that Arsenal will go the whole way and have the perfect season. I was wondering where everyone would rank it in terms of a historic achievement the fact thats it not been done in over a 100 years has to make it pretty huge obviously.

Given that Arsenal wont be setting a new points record, a new goal
difference record or even setting a new biggest winning margin does this cheapen it in your eyes?

So best leauge performance in modern history or a team that got lucky with draws that should have been loses?

So whos acheivement is better the team that goes unbeaten all season or the team that gets the most points in a season ever ( not sure who that is? ).

The Mask
05-07-2004, 02:20 PM
It's a pretty big achievement, I'll give them that. At the end of the day though, it's only the one competition.

The Mask
05-07-2004, 02:21 PM
This season, they haven't had much reason to bottle it either. The pressures been off them pretty much since february.

Wengerland
05-07-2004, 04:27 PM
I'd say this is the better achievement.

I would be like ROFL LMAO if we beat them to end the record on the last day,but that's unlikely.

Disturbed316
05-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Well seeing as no team has done it since 1890 odd, I would say it will be quite an achievement.

Dont forget they have lost in the FA Cup and Champions League though :-\

Dazz
05-09-2004, 08:20 AM
I would care if I was an Arsenal fan, so you can say 'Hey, remember that season we finished unbeaten?' and its just something to be proud of too, that your team didn't lose all season. If I supported Arsenal and they lost, I would be like 'well, we have still won the league', but I would never say I didn't care if my team went the whole season unbeaten.

The Mask
05-09-2004, 09:39 AM
you lost to us in the charity shield too :mad:

El Capitano Gatisto
05-09-2004, 10:48 AM
It's a notable achievement, of course, but I don't think it necessarily displays any kind of dominance Arsenal have other the rest of the division. They have drawn alot of games, including at least two they were lucky not to lose (Manchester United at Old Trafford, Portsmouth at Highbury). They are the best team in England, and one of the best in Europe, but frankly going unbeaten during the league schedule is not a comparable achievement to Manchester United winning the treble in 1999.

You could even argue that the season after, when United completely walked the league, finishing 18 points ahead of Arsenal and beating them 6-1 on the way, despite losing and drawing their last few games, was a better or equal Premiership performance.

In my opinion, points and goals scored count more. I think next season it will be different for Arsenal too. Alot of teams really seem to roll over for them, whereas the seem teams put in the performance of the season against Manchester United or Liverpool. Arsenal have maybe given themselves that kind of aura now, the kind that means a team will do their utmost to upset them, rather than write it off as points lost.

Rob
05-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Not to sound like I'm crying but United have been sh</>it this season. Up until January we kept thinking our form would improve and it never did. Arsenal deserved the title by a long shot. They are definately the best team in the country but until they win a treble (don't forget how they blew that within a week) or get the points record, you can't really say they have been a better team than Man United over the past 10 years. They haven't even won back to back championships yet.

Wengerland
05-09-2004, 04:26 PM
You all seem to take it as done that they'll beat Leicester.:mad: :(

toxic rooster
05-09-2004, 04:33 PM
IZZET

IT IS

Wengerland
05-09-2004, 05:21 PM
He's injured,so he's played his last game for us.:'(

I guess that makes it harder for us to beat Arsenal.:-\

toxic rooster
05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Ignorance :o

packt up
05-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Pretty damn good achievement :y:

However it pains me to say this but Man U's Treble was way better. As Rob says I think Arsenal need to win it back to back and then also get something in Europe.

Rob
05-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Okay we get it dude. Is anyone here actually debating that Arsenal aren't the best team in the country?