PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Best/Worst Films So Far This Year

Jari
07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Pretty self explanatory, although I appreciate that there will be some people will have seen films before others, including myself.

Best:

1) The Raid
2) The Angels Share
3) Moonrise Kingdom
4) Juan of the Dead
5) The Amazing Spiderman

Worst:

1) Storage 24
2) Act of Valour
3) Contraband
4) The Darkest Hour
5) Hunger Games

Triple Naitch
07-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Best from what I've seen
1. 21 Jump Street
2. The Amazing Spider-Man
3. The Avengers
4. Hunger Games
5. Cabin in the Woods

Worst
1. Gone
2. Prometheus
3. This Means War

Nowhere Man
07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Hmmm.....going by the ones I've seen

Best:

1) Cabin In The Woods
2) The Avengers
3) Safety Not Guaranteed
4) The Amazing Spider-Man
5) 21 Jump Street

Worst:

1) The Devil Inside
2) Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
3) That's My Boy
4) This Means War
5) Underworld: Awakening

I've been told very good things about The Raid and Moonrise Kingdom but haven't seen those yet. Likewise, I've heard very bad things about The Raven and Act of Valor, but haven't seen either of those.

Also, I'm gonna add some categories....

Most Overrated Movie:

The Hunger Games

Yeah, it's pretty good, but I really do not get the obsessive-level hype around it.

Most Underrated Movie:

Prometheus

Okay, yes, it's kind of a mess, but come on, people act like this movie raped their families. Did it live up to its promise? No. Is it the atrocity a lot of people are making it out to be? No. At worst, it's a C minus.

Blitz
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Best:

The Grey
The Avengers
Moonrise Kingdom
The Cabin In The Woods
21 Jump Street

Worst:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Underworld: Awakening

Those are the only ones that really stick in my mind atm.

CSL
07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Best
1. Jeff, Who Lives At Home
2. Chronicle
3. Goon
4. Take Me Home
5. 21 Jump Street

(like 3 of those had 2011 festival screenings but didn't get wide releases/DVD rips online until this year)

Worst
1. Contraband
2. Man on a Ledge
3. Safe
4. Wanderlust
5. Safe House

worst ones don't really count since I don't really watch new bad films anymore (which probably means a few good ones that I "underestimate" as well), Contraband was a bit shit but the other 4 I listed were alright, actually liked Wanderlust and Safe House

Jari
07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I've been told very good things about The Raid and Moonrise Kingdom but haven't seen those yet. Likewise, I've heard very bad things about The Raven and Act of Valor, but haven't seen either of those.

I can not speak highly enough of the Raid and Moonrise Kingdom. Moonrise Kingdom didn't suprise me as such because Edward Norton is a favourite of mine but the Raid blew me away - easily the best action film I've ever seen.

Haven't seen the Raven but Act of Valour is basically just a 100 minute long recruitment video for the army, seeping with American jingoism what is almost tangible.

Most Overrated Movie:

The Hunger Games - as long as it is boring. Fails as drama/action and it's hopelessly derivative.

Most Underrated Movie:

Red Lights seems to have flown under everyone's radar and I quite liked even though it didn't end the way I would have liked it to.

ClockShot
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I haven't seen much, so they're both gonna be short lists.

Best:

The Avengers
Moonrise Kingdom
Haywire
Prometheus

Worst:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Wanted to see The Raid: Redemption sooooooooo bad. But it only showed up at a theatre 20 miles away for a weekend. And it was gone.

Jari
07-09-2012, 09:06 PM
worst ones don't really count since I don't really watch new bad films anymore (which probably means a few good ones that I "underestimate" as well), Contraband was a bit shit but the other 4 I listed were alright, actually liked Wanderlust and Safe House
Your inclusion of the Goon suggests otherwise ;)

I have one of those unlimited cards what mean I tend to go and basically see anything. I've discovered some gems but some stinkers have come up along the way. Unfortunately I did have to pay for the privilige of the Darkest Hour *shudder*

CSL
07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
nothing wrong with Goon, shockingly good/well put together given the genre and it's pitfalls/cliches, how it was presented in trailers and the lead. Pretty hard film to dislike if you take it for what it is. That and it was a hockey film (plus) featuring Georges Laraque (triple plus)

And lol yah, one of my best friends has one and he doesn't half go and watch some shit. Great idea in principle but I pretty much avoid certain genres entirely which takes away a lot of "modern options" (stuff mentioned in here like Prometheus, Underworld, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter etc, sci-fi films, supernatural/vampire films, horror etc) Takes me long enough to pick a film to watch at home with pretty much every film ever at my fingertips, never mind choosing from a limited cinema selection :o

Scott Roberts
07-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Best movie this year was The Adventures.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-10-2012, 07:56 AM
I have only seen three films this year so far: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Safe House, and Prometheus. Out of those three, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the only one that has stood out to me.

Krimzon7
07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
BEST:

Avengers
SPiderman
21 Jumpstreet
Savages
The Hunger Games

Worst:
Underworld
Snow White and the Huntsman
MIB III
Prometheus

Keep in mind that the movies on the 'worst' list are pretty friggin awesome to me. and they were just not enjoyed more by me than the 'best'. I don't watch 'bad' movies

I have a special ability to avoid bullshit movies.

Ermaximus
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
nothing wrong with Goon, shockingly good/well put together given the genre and it's pitfalls/cliches, how it was presented in trailers and the lead. Pretty hard film to dislike if you take it for what it is. That and it was a hockey film (plus) featuring Georges Laraque (triple plus)

And lol yah, one of my best friends has one and he doesn't half go and watch some shit. Great idea in principle but I pretty much avoid certain genres entirely which takes away a lot of "modern options" (stuff mentioned in here like Prometheus, Underworld, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter etc, sci-fi films, supernatural/vampire films, horror etc) Takes me long enough to pick a film to watch at home with pretty much every film ever at my fingertips, never mind choosing from a limited cinema selection :o

Goon was fantastic. Liev Schriber did such a good job as the alpha male hockey player who just didn't give a fuck. Loved it.