PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION - Should CM Punk be the "inverse" of John Cena?

Heyman
07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
QUESTION - Should CM Punk be the "inverse" of John Cena?

Long story short:

John Cena is a face that, for the most part, gets heavily boo'd by adult males but gets heavily cheered by kids aged 12 and under. Regardless of the reactions, Cena has kept his character constant. Fans react to him however they want.

CM Punk, in my opinion, should be a heel that, for the most part, gets heavily cheered by adult males but gets heavily boo'd by kids aged 12 and under. Regardless of the reactions, CM Punk would keep his character constant. Fans react to him however they want. As a heel, Punk can have the flexibility to do and say what he wants.

My Proposition for the WWE:

Start building around CM Punk the heel. Have CM Punk become the new franchise guy. Just as John Cena has been the "franchise guy" from 2005-2012, do the same with CM Punk for the next 5+ years.........in a "John Cena inverse" like fashion.

-Hulk Hogan was the proverbial "good guy"
-Steve Austin was the badass that fans fell in love with.
-The Rock was both good and bad.
-John Cena was the proverbial "good guy" that was loved by kids and hated by teens and adults.
-Make CM Punk the proverbial "bad guy" that is loved by adults and teens but despised by kids.

It's a new concept, and would be something different for the new franchise of the company.

Unlike his predecessors, don't sell him out by making him go face.......just as Cena never sold out by going heel.

parkmania
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
While I like the idea, WWE will never do it, because kids are where the money is - therefore the kids are what the WWE will build their programming toward.

whiteyford
07-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I think that was the plan for Orton a while back, build him up as the 'adult' face of the company to appeal to the fans who won't cheer Cena but I think building up a strong 'cool' heel would do the same job. The only issue is the the companys desire to smooth the edges of any anti hero character that starts getting over.

Heyman
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM
While I like the idea, WWE will never do it, because kids are where the money is - therefore the kids are what the WWE will build their programming toward.

Great point.

However, let's not forget that John Cena would still be around......and he could still cater to that particular age demographic.

Cena still has many good years left. However - I do see your point. If the biggest target audience is kids, then Cena would still have to be the top guy....or in the very best case, share the "top billing" with CM Punk.

Heyman
07-27-2012, 07:12 PM
I think that was the plan for Orton a while back, build him up as the 'adult' face of the company to appeal to the fans who won't cheer Cena but I think building up a strong 'cool' heel would do the same job. The only issue is the the companys desire to smooth the edges of any anti hero character that starts getting over.

Orton would have been an excellent fit as well, but one thing I like about CM Punk is his "off the charts" promo ability. As a heel, the WWE can start using him in the same way as they did last summer.

Re: Your last sentence:

You are correct......but at some point, the WWE has to realize that "smoothing the edges of any anti hero character" only hurts them. However - I'm not suggesting that Punk be an anti hero. I'm suggesting that Punk flat out acts like a heel......and shoots on everyone and anyone......regardless of how the fans react.

whiteyford
07-27-2012, 07:13 PM
I get what parkmania's saying but I don't think it would be that big a problem, in theory at least, you'd be aiming for two seperate demographics. I think it would work alot better if they enforced the brand split though, could lead to a big money match down the road, although it would mean making both brands seem equal which is unlikely.

whiteyford
07-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Orton would have been an excellent fit as well, but one thing I like about CM Punk is his "off the charts" promo ability. As a heel, the WWE can start using him in the same way as they did last summer.

Re: Your last sentence:

You are correct......but at some point, the WWE has to realize that "smoothing the edges of any anti hero character" only hurts them. However - I'm not suggesting that Punk be an anti hero. I'm suggesting that Punk flat out acts like a heel......and shoots on everyone and anyone......regardless of how the fans react.

I think thats Ortons big failing, he can cut a decent promo but it's hit and miss at times.

I actually thought that was where they were going after Raw, building him up as the main heel and giving the adults someone to cheer, putting him against Cena means it's almost certain he'll get cheered by a large chunk of the audience regardless.

loopydate
07-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I think Orton's big failing is that he's unreliable. He's prone to unprofessional outbursts, has two wellness violations under his belt, a link to the drug controversy that preceded the wellness policy, and shoulders that only occasionally decide they want to be attached to the rest of his body.

Punk could be what the wanted Orton to be three years ago, just without the fear of the next screw-up.

Majunior
07-27-2012, 08:21 PM

You know, as a longtime friend of mine constantly points out, "Kids don't buy Pay Per Views."

I think it's been established that the current family-friendly programming is less about kids and more about advertisers.

Frank Drebin
07-27-2012, 09:51 PM
To answer the question....yes. This can be pulled off in a way that would work for the Cena-type marks that Parkmania alluded to:

Lets assume this is indeed the start of the "major angle" that was rumored which means this isnt the end. How would the fans and the IWC react to a stable with Punk leading a group of IWC favs as the heels vs. the stable of faces that the kids mark out to (the Brodus type) with Cena as the leader. Pick your own dream teams.

This gives the heels a chance to woo the IWC with pipe bomb type promos that we havent seen in a while while still giving top billing to Cena (maybe elevate some midcarders too).

Theo Dious
07-27-2012, 10:19 PM
You know, as a longtime friend of mine constantly points out, "Kids don't buy Pay Per Views."

This is correct. However, it should be pointed out to your friend that adults often buy PPVs because their kids want to see them.

Mr. Nerfect
07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Watching the RAW recap, it appears to me as if the WWE is going for a "Why, CM Punk? Why?" approach to him giving the GTS to The Rock, given the creepy music and all. But on SmackDown they seemed to show Touts that support Punk. It'll be interesting to see just where the WWE goes with this.

Personally, I think Punk is a natural heel that just happens to be charismatic and a fantastic wrestler. It seems like he's not yet done with Big Show or John Cena, but I'd like to see him try to beat Cena at Night of Champions in Cena's hometown, just to make the little kids cry.

Nicky Fives
07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
makes perfect sense to me..... too bad it won't happen because of it.....

K.Smoke
07-29-2012, 08:59 AM
yep was gonna say the money thing also

parkmania
07-29-2012, 06:58 PM

I think it's been established that the current family-friendly programming is less about kids and more about advertisers.

This is correct. However, it should be pointed out to your friend that adults often buy PPVs because their kids want to see them.

This. There's a Dairy Queen I drive by at least once a week that has on their marquee "Hey kids, scream until Daddy pulls in".

Innovator
07-29-2012, 07:17 PM
It looks like they want a slow turn with Punk, which should carry through his DVD release in October.

Emperor Smeat
07-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Would be a great idea for the WWE to do although I doubt they want to lose out on the kids/youth segment since they generate a lot of merchandise and ppv purchases which is why the WWE still revolves around Cena.

Probably be a lot better to push Punk and someone to be his "Rock" rival instead of just Punk if the goal is to start a new era or long term change. Austin benefited because he had 2 strong characters to feud against (Mr McMahon, The Rock). Cena's problem is he never really had anyone as his equal for a rival due to the SuperCena character and Orton failing a bunch of times.

Cena also can't be Punk's long term rival mainly because the WWE will just go back to solely focusing on Cena if things start to falter a bit like they've done countless times in the past.

mushroom
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I always thought they should've built someone up as a rival alongside him, sort of how Triple H and the Rock were booked, not constantly feuding but having a rivalry like two sports teams trying to outdo each other. They seemed to be going that way with Carlito for a while over the US title at least.