PDA

View Full Version : Wrestler Parallels

Wishbone
08-14-2012, 01:48 AM
So Piper's comment about him and Jericho being similar got me thinking. We've all heard about people claiming someone is the next Stone Cold or the next Rock all the time, and while I'm sure we all agree that you can never replace someone from another era of wrestling there are many parallels between some of the new guys and some of the old ones. This thread is to discuss who you think has a similar spot in the company as someone from the past or has a similar style and such.

I'll go first by saying that we've all heard "Cena is this generation's Hogan" and often people try to compare Punk to Austin, but I don't think that really works. If you look at Punk from a different standpoint, stop looking at him as the anti-Cena you'll notice allot of parallels with HBK. From his size, his ring skills, his mic work and his spot in the company he screams HBK pre back injury. Honestly I could easily see Punk becoming this generations HBK. The guy who never was quite the "Face of the Company", but always had amazing matches, and pulled 5 stars out of even the worst opponent. He's a show stopper with no doubt.

Anyway what are some guys you think compare to guys from the past? Who's this generation's Austin, Piper, Bret Hart, etc.?

CM Punk DONT GO
08-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Daniel Bryan is this generation Yokozuna becoz they both had beard

Krimzon7
08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Dolph Ziggler is this generation's Mr. Perfect. He can absolutely go in the ring. Edge is this generations Macho Man. He's just Gold, every match that he put on was good and then there is a huge catalog of Great matches of Edge vs _________

KaosDarksol
08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
According to Kevin Nash punk and Bryan are Eddie and benoit

Rollermacka
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Mason Ryan is this generations (Insert generic big man from the 90's name here)

Nowhere Man
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I'd say Daniel Bryan is this generation's Owen Hart. A supremely skilled in-ring technician, who never quite gets taken seriously due to the fact that he looks kinda weird and has a gimmick of being an obnoxious little shit, especially one who's sick of being in another star's shadow (Bret for Owen, Punk for Bryan).

OldSchoolFan
08-15-2012, 11:10 PM
According to Kevin Nash punk and Bryan are Eddie and benoit

Well one of em needs to hurry up and get settled in a family...

KyleEmmott
08-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Brodus Clay = Rikishi

Brigstocke
08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Tensai is nothing but this generations Prince Albert.

RiX1024
08-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Mason Ryan is this generations (Insert generic big man from the 90's name here)

Mason Ryan is this generations......wait for it......Brakus.

Volare
08-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Mason Ryan is RELLIK!

loopydate
08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Damien Sandow is this generation's Lanny Poffo.
Jinder Mahal is this generation's Tiger Ali Singh.
Curt Hawkins is this generation's Christian.

Rollermacka
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Ryback is this generations Wrath (athletic big man with the potential to be a huge star, just depends on where he goes after the squash matches end)

The Show Off
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Albert Del Rio is this generation's Ted DiBiase
The Big Show is this generation's Andre the Giant
Brodus Clay is this generation's Rikishi
CM Punk is this generation's Randy Savage
Cody Rhodes is this generations Rick Martel

The Show Off
08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Damien Sandow is this generation's The Genius
Daniel Bryan is this generation's Owen Hart
Dolph Ziggler is this generation's Shawn Michaels
Ezekiel Jackson is this generation's Ahmed Johnson
The Great Khali is this generation's El Gigante

The Show Off
08-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Heath Slater is this generation's Disco Inferno
Jack Swagger is this generation's Steve Williams
John Cena is this generation's Bob Backlund
Justin Gabriel is this generation's Matt Hardy
Kelly Kelly is this generation's Trish Stratus

The Show Off
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Kofi Kingston is this generation's Eddie Guerrero
Matt Striker is this generation's Mike Tenay (circa WCW)
The Miz is this a flat out rip off of Chris Jericho
Natayla is this generation's Jaquiline
Randy Orton is this generation's Steve Austin

The Show Off
08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Ricardo Rodriguez is this generation's Ralphus
Ryback is this generation's Ultimate Warrior
Wad Barrett is this generation's Triple H

Autobahn
08-16-2012, 11:17 PM
The glaringly obvious one is Ryback and Goldberg, and maybe Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio

Tom Guycott
08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
I'd say Daniel Bryan is this generation's Owen Hart. A supremely skilled in-ring technician, who never quite gets taken seriously due to the fact that he looks kinda weird and has a gimmick of being an obnoxious little shit, especially one who's sick of being in another star's shadow (Bret for Owen, Punk for Bryan).

Actually, Chavo fits this a bit more than Bryan, but I see where you're coming from (especially since Chavito isn't WWE anymore, and technically not relevant to the topic.) His situation is exactly like Owen, except the more notable person died. If Chavo had passed away instead of Eddie, I guarantee you there would be NON TROLLING threads about how Chavo should have been a main eventer and possibly would have been if he were still alive.

On topic:

We'll see how Bryan progresses when he gets to be "The Game" instead of this generation's HHH.

Mason Ryan is this generations......wait for it......Brakus.

Big guy with potential who didn't quite catch on. Got it. Spot on.

Mason Ryan is RELLIK!

... out of curiosity, would that happen to be "killer" backwards?

Damien Sandow is this generation's Lanny Poffo.
Jinder Mahal is this generation's Tiger Ali Singh.
Curt Hawkins is this generation's Christian.

The first two are kinda "duh, that's the point"... the third is an initeresting observation. Both are guys with a load of upside who are a) mishandled and b) in the shadow of their "brother". Maybe a world title run in TNA is in the future of "The Party Starter".

Rollermacka
08-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Brodus Clay is this generation's Rikishi

I know everybody compares Brodus Clay to Rikishi but I looking back at it, doesn't Brodus come off more like Flash Funk?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MNeTPD6K_dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Show Off
08-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I know everybody compares Brodus Clay to Rikishi but I looking back at it, doesn't Brodus come off more like Flash Funk?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MNeTPD6K_dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can see that, based on the fact that they basically have "funketts" and they have the word "Funk" in their name (in Clay's case his nickname) but I'm more going with the "big fat guy that can't really dance having a dancing gimmick" part of it.

Taker it Easy
08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I think the real question here is, "What wrestler is most like you?" and I will answer that question.

Razor Ramon, Scott Hall. Why? Razor Scott by some accounts had a great star potential yet perhaps did not reach a possible apex. He also is fondly with intoxication.

Maybe it is more accurate to say that I am most like the unproduced sun of a Razor and Goldust union.

Damndirty
08-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Antonio Cesaro has the cocky foreigner-tude of Alex Wright

Damien Sandow has alot of Harley Race in him

As for Punk, his build and motion reflects HBK, but his personality and technicality is more reminiscent of Bret Hart.

Gertner
08-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Bret Hart had no personality.

Curd
08-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Bret Hart had no personality.

WCW really dropped the ball when they neglected to have Hart perform Shakespeare on Nitro.

Mr. Nerfect
08-19-2012, 03:42 AM
I was thinking the other day about some interesting similarities between Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan.

Both sort of play the goofy heel that people love to razz on. Angle had the "You suck!" to go along with his theme music, while Bryan has the "YES!/NO!" thing. Both Angle and Bryan are known for their ring skills and ability to carry essentially any worker to a watchable match, but neither seems like THE top guy, if you know what I mean? They manage to hover around the main event and are always featured due to their talents, however. They also have submission signature moves (not unique to them, but still), and have a sort of "colour imagery" associated with them. Angle wore the red, white and blue singlets while Bryan always has burgundy featured on his trunks.

Mr. Nerfect
08-19-2012, 03:44 AM
At the moment, Dolph Ziggler seems a lot like Edge to me. Not just because they both won Money in the Bank, but just how "certain" they both seemed as rising main event heels after winning the briefcase. Money in the Bank was essentially created to elevate Edge to the next level, while Ziggler seems like the most fitting Money in the Bank Winner since.

Rollermacka
08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
I think it was Jim Cornette who said Ken Anderson is being a "Stone Cold" knock off in TNA. I think that in a way with the whole "Asshole" thing, trying to be edgy and saying whatever he wants he can somewhat be related to Austin. Even in the way that both were released unfairly could be considered parallels. The diffrence being Stone Cold continued to go from being good to beyond amazing, Anderson started improving, then just became stagnant.