PDA

View Full Version : If wrestlers had more control....

drave
10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Where do YOU see their "gimmicks" ?? It could shake up the entire foundation of the roster, in some cases.

IIRC (and I probably don't I blame the drugs). Cena was almost on his way out loooooooooooooooonnnnng ago before the rap gimmick. I remember him saying in an interview that he was basically told to go out there and do what he wanted as a last shot to save face with the company. The next Smackdown, The Dr. of Thuganomics was born and he started throwing his proverbial nuts @ peoples faces.

Think Cena would still be around had this not happened??

When Dolph Ziggler first came around and was doing the introduction thing, his name reminded me of "Dirk Diggler" and I would have sworn he would have gone the Val Venis route.

tjmidnight420
10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
If wrestlers had more control... you mean like in WCW?

drave
10-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Nah, just in general, as far as their gimmick. No backstage BS or anything like that. Instead of relying on writers to come up with material, they would come up with their own.

DLVH84
10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I think that would be excellent, Drave, because every individual ultimately has to find their own way rather than have something forced upon them.

Emperor Smeat
10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
On paper it would help out a lot of wrestlers but think in reality only a few would actually benefit and mostly those who already are great as entertainers or with promos.

The majority still need a lot of help from the writers or people in charge in order to develop their gimmicks.

drave
10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Yea, I think it would benefit some more than others, i.e. the John Cena sitcheation.

Also, HHH was responsible for his "Game" breakout. Zack Ryder comes to mind as well. His internet show got him the attention he needed, then WWE took it over and now he hates it. Just begs the question, would he be bigger if he still had control of his own direction?

I dunno, I like to think outside the box and wonder about random shit like this. Nice to see some discussion about something that could (if they did it moving forward) change the foundation of things. Still get support from the writers/creative and what not, but allow them to have final results. If they get boo'd out of the arena or VKM says his tradmark "YOOOOURRREEE FIIIRRRRREEED" (which needs to be a t-shirt btw), they would have no one to blame but themselves.

whiteyford
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
It comes down to the individual talent, some guys would benefit from it no doubt but others would probably be in worse shape, ideally you want some kind of middle ground. A lot of the talent would benefit from be given more creative freedom in promos as opposed to gimmicks, too many sound forced, but ultimately you need to be able to do what the company needs of you, expanding the developmental system to season them before TV couldn't hurt.

Vastardikai
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm a big fan of giving the guys bullet points instead of actual lines. Have them go out there and hit the bullet points in their promos, just have them do it using their own words.

If that makes any sense.

drave
10-16-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm a big fan of giving the guys bullet points instead of actual lines. Have them go out there and hit the bullet points in their promos, just have them do it using their own words.

If that makes any sense.

Yea I think this would work too. As a few said here, a lot of promos feel forced and (to me) come across as cheesy "B" movie lines. Giving them some main points gives them the freedom to mix in their own promo style which could definitely propel someone to that upper tier, so to speak.

Well said :y:

Zeeboe
10-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Plenty of wrestlers back in the day were incharge of their own gimmicks and they were awesome. Stone Cold Steve Austin is just one example that comes to mind. Heck, often wrestlers would totally ad-lib.

The Honky Tonk Man said in a interview about a year or two ago that when he was at the WWE Hall of Fame a few years ago to induct Koko B. Ware, the young WWE staff asked Honky if he would like for them to write a script for him so he'd have a speech and Honky was just baffled. He knew Koko for years - Honky didn't need anyone to write a script for him!

But that is how WWE is today - It's not even wrestling anymore. They have screenplay writers and the wrestlers say their lines like they are actors. In the old days, it was up to the wrestlers to bring the goods both in the ring and on the mic. If you were not talented enough, you either were given a tag-team partner and/or a manager who was good enough, or you were given your walking papers.

Today, wrestlers barely know how to wrestle and they don't have the talent to do their own promos and have to depend on others like lazy spoiled brats.

Here's an example of how wrestlers cut promos in the old days (We live in such PC times now and the WWE is so dang overly family-friendly that such a promo would never air on TV today.) -

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oEIzkLr7JzQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pintint
10-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I guess Hogan proved him wrong with his sex tape.

Zeeboe
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Damn right!

drave
10-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow, awesome feedback!!

Nice to hear some constructive discussion!

The Hogan sex tape is a work, btw. There will be a nice payday/publicity for both Bubba and Hogan when the dust settles. Dont blame Hulk after he was sucked dry by Linda, who desperately needs to die in a fire.

Tom Guycott
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Yea, I think it would benefit some more than others, i.e. the John Cena sitcheation.

Also, HHH was responsible for his "Game" breakout. Zack Ryder comes to mind as well. His internet show got him the attention he needed, then WWE took it over and now he hates it. Just begs the question, would he be bigger if he still had control of his own direction?

I dunno, I like to think outside the box and wonder about random shit like this. Nice to see some discussion about something that could (if they did it moving forward) change the foundation of things. Still get support from the writers/creative and what not, but allow them to have final results. If they get boo'd out of the arena or VKM says his tradmark "YOOOOURRREEE FIIIRRRRREEED" (which needs to be a t-shirt btw), they would have no one to blame but themselves.

http://www.catch-arena.com/photos/catcheurs/bray-wyatt/bray-wyatt-wyattlg2-1342264096.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is an example of why guys should be left to their own devices. I doubt he had creative cobble this masterpiece together. Remember, they threw him on national TV because he and Henning* were, for all intents and purposes, hosses. A big guy who could move. And that's it. So, he was relegated back down to double A, and after yet another nowhere gimmick, this came about. And it was good.

Not saying they all can be Bray Wyatts, but sometimes it seems better to let the guy do something to stand out on his own instead of just relying on them to instantly connect to the fans with nothing to work with (or worse, based SOLELY on their physique) and then tell them "creative has nothing for you" when they don't. Isn't that the POINT of a creative team?

SNLfunnyguy
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
John Cena could have been on the first batch of TNA shows!!

Zeeboe
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
WCW gave power to some of the boys and they screwed up big time, so there are pros and cons to letting the wrestlers be in-charge.

Kane Knight
11-05-2012, 07:16 PM
WCW gave power to some of the boys and they screwed up big time, so there are pros and cons to letting the wrestlers be in-charge.

WCW gave pretty broad power to some of the boys. If they had only given something like freedom with their characters, rather than creative control in general, things might have gone better.

Shisen Kopf
11-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Andre the Giant wouldn't have been a Giant if he had any control about his gimmick. He woulda been 6'2.