PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney Acquires LucasFilm

JimmyMess
10-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Website for the article here (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/the-walt-disney-company-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-vii-set-for-2015)

Holy crap, fanboys!

Not only did the news break today that the Walt Disney Company has acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion, but the studio press release also announces that a Star Wars: Episode VII feature film is targeted for a 2015 release! Yes, 2015 will give us The Avengers 2, Justice League of America and now a new Star Wars movie!

The original press release as follows:

Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm’s legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world’s top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney’s strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney’s very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company’s unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney’s portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company’s ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world’s highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm.

HEY-OOOOO!

Ermaximus
10-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Not sure how to feel about a new trilogy considering how old most of the original actors are now.

Emperor Smeat
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
$4.05 billion seems pretty cheap of a buy for Disney compared to other buyouts or offers in recent time.

JimmyMess
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
How much was marvel?

The Destroyer
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Think it was round about the same price.

Triple Naitch
10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Guess they're keeping the ride at MGM.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-30-2012, 05:38 PM
A New Star Wars Trilogy. I bet it'll be animated. If it's not I'll give a shit.

Shadow
10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Huh...wonder where they'll go with the next 3 episodes.

El Vaquero de Infierno
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
New methods of wooden acting, I suspect.

XCaliber
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM
WOAH!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-bzWSJG93P8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kalyx triaD
10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Star Wars Eps. VII for 2015. Very fucking interesting. And they'll have to get down on it right now.

Kane Knight
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Huh...wonder where they'll go with the next 3 episodes.

Intergalactic politics as a thin metaphor for whoever is in office at the time, interspersed with lightsaber battles and shiny CGI?

Blitz
10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Incredible. Very interested in what happens next.

mitchables
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Be interesting to see if they pick up from Jedi or if they head to the Old Republic.

Kinda scares me how huge Disney is getting though.

XCaliber
10-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I'd like to see a KOTOR movie done but not first off the next one should take after the events of ROTJ think it would be cool to see Jacen Solo on screen provided they don't totally miscast the part by using Shia LaBeouf heh.

Requiem
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Don't think they've actually said 'trilogy' have they?

Correct me if I'm wrong of course. But I only see it said that they will be releasing a Star Wars movie every 2-3 years, not that they are doing another trilogy.

I see far more potential than just another trilogy. There is no end of Star Wars lore to work from.

mitchables
10-30-2012, 08:09 PM
And yet, the prequels.

Kalyx triaD
10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes, trilogy.

Droford
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Episode 7: the fallout of john carter

Requiem
10-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Yes, trilogy.

Show me. Don't just repeat it.

Skippord
10-30-2012, 08:24 PM
come on return of Darth Maul

Outsider
10-30-2012, 09:00 PM
As much as I fear what they will do:

1. They didn't fuck up Pixar
2. No more George Lucas

.........although all hope leads to disappointment.

Ermaximus
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Dear Disney, please slaughter the Gungans once and for all. Also, we need more Nien Nunb.

Kalyx triaD
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
More than likely the media will be left alone like the Marvel deal. We'll probably see a new Star Wars show on Disney XD, perhaps at the cost of Clone Wars on CN.

Skippord
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
bet Disney opens a new theme park totally for nerds with this and Marvel

#inmydreams

Kalyx triaD
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I'd fucking love that.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
bet Disney opens a new theme park totally for nerds with this and Marvel

#inmydreams

They do already have the Speeder bike ride from ROTJ, or at least they did when i went in 2001.

That would be cool. They should include Marvel, The Muppets, Star Wars and maybe Pixar. Make it the "stuff we didn't create we just bought" park.

Lock Jaw
10-31-2012, 01:16 AM
They should just adapt the good novels that are post-ROTJ since I am too lazy to read the novels. They can recast all the characters who are too old now. I do not have an issue with it.

dronepool
10-31-2012, 02:12 AM
Not really a Star Wars fan, but wow Marvel and Star Wars?

Holy crap. Good for them, I guess.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-31-2012, 02:25 AM
They should just adapt the good novels that are post-ROTJ since I am too lazy to read the novels. They can recast all the characters who are too old now. I do not have an issue with it.

There characters will be old now too so they should be in the movies. Hope Carrie Fischer can clean up enough to be involved. I think she's the only red flag for using the original cast.

Kalyx triaD
10-31-2012, 02:47 AM
Indiana Jones as well, kiddies.

JimmyMess
10-31-2012, 02:51 AM
Indiana Jones as well, kiddies.

:y: I was at work when we realized this as well.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-31-2012, 04:15 AM
What about Howard the Duck?

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-31-2012, 04:25 AM
Well apparently they are going for an original story for the next movie. So, Thrawn trilogy is out. Fuck.

Kalyx triaD
10-31-2012, 05:28 AM
It seems Lucas had a treatment for a sequel trilogy for a while, and I always figured that he had something up his sleeve.

Fignuts
10-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Yeah, all you guys hoping for thrawn trilogy, or kotor, need to realize that there is not snowball's chance in hell of anything expanded universe getting adapted.

Tommy Gunn
10-31-2012, 06:56 AM
I wish the last trilogy were sequels, instead of 3 movies of back-story to A New Hope.

Ace
10-31-2012, 07:42 AM
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/18142/7d/img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/31/article-1351679077142-15C4607A000005DC-135115_466x539.jpg

This.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Disney now also own all the rights to the games. I'd probably be happier if they announced a new Grim Fandango instead.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-31-2012, 07:47 AM
OBVIOUSLY WOULDN'T BE THE SAME MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT THOUGH, I GET THAT.

DaveBrawl
10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Is it wrong to hope for more Ewoks?

Ermaximus
10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
I hope Dash Rendar is in the new trilogy at least.

El Fangel
10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
If it starts with a massive bloody massacre of these

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llrnupfC1a1qjeyv9o1_500.jpg

Ill give it a 10/10 and go see it twice.

Tommy Gunn
10-31-2012, 12:18 PM
If they also own Lucas Arts, make more graphic adventures. I've been waiting 20 years for a graphic adventure sequel to Fate of Atlantis!

JimmyMess
10-31-2012, 12:43 PM
If they also own Lucas Arts, make more graphic adventures. I've been waiting 20 years for a graphic adventure sequel to Fate of Atlantis!

Yeah it looks like they own it all. LucasFilm was the parent to LucasArts, ILM, Skywalker Sound

Fignuts
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I hope Dash Rendar is in the new trilogy at least.

I suppose there is a chance of that one, since Shadows was originally intended to be a part of the original film franchise.

But if anything, the new trilogy will fly in the face of all the EU stuff released so far, just like the prequel trilogy.

So much retconning, even after only episode I.

JimmyMess
10-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Just re-read the article. Definitely have it all.

Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

James Steele
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Walt Disney's cryogenically frozen head is laughing maniacally. The Plan is almost complete. Soon, he will be reanimated and take over the world.

Adder
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
New Star Wars without Lucas is a good thing.

I would be surprised if the first new film DIDN'T have cameos of Luke, Lea and Han

Fignuts
10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of someone else handling the films.

Blitz
10-31-2012, 06:29 PM
You gotta believe Mark Hamil has been sitting by his phone since yesterday, screaming at anyone else who comes near it to get away because they might be calling soon.

McLegend
10-31-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm excited for this. I want a whole new cast along with new characters.

Jura
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7dvu0CBc71rao9e3o1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7dvu0CBc71rao9e3o2_500.gif

Droford
10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
What about Howard the Duck?
When Howard met Donald..er..

Probably not

Kalyx triaD
10-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Try not to freak the fuck out but;

a) It's been confirmed that the trilogy will not adapt any EU material and is an original story Lucas already had.

b) He spoke with Mark fucking Hamill and Carrie Fisher about what 7, 8, and 9 is about back in August. So yeah, guessing they're gonna play their characters age-accurately.

Kalyx triaD
10-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah I'm the fighting game, Halo, Transformers, comic book movie guy - but Star Wars is a huge fucking deal to me. I love all six movies, lived and breathed KOTOR I/II, enjoyed all the cartoons, and even studied Nick Gilard's lightsaber style at length.

I'm ecstatic about these recent developments.

El Fangel
10-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Then I find it surprising Kalyx that you haven't mentioned the possibility of fighting Vader in Kingdom Hearts if Disney decides to be that awesome.

James Steele
10-31-2012, 11:01 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--LFtsZH_94A/T9eV43XOi7I/AAAAAAAADIM/_K1Ha9ihmhY/s1600/vader-1.jpg

Kalyx triaD
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Then I find it surprising Kalyx that you haven't mentioned the possibility of fighting Vader in Kingdom Hearts if Disney decides to be that awesome.

Like Marvel, I doubt they'd have that kind of fun with that series. There's a Phineas/Ferb crossover with Avengers coming so I imagine there will be wild things like that, but not with Square Enix's series.

Tom Guycott
10-31-2012, 11:50 PM
As much of a Star Wars fan I am, I would be more excited by this news if they announced some sort of game remake, sequel, or film adaptation to Maniac Mansion... and any of the three would have to contain the song "Flashbulb Funk" and the requisite token black guy to accompany it.

Ermaximus
11-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Walt Disney's cryogenically frozen head is laughing maniacally. The Plan is almost complete. Soon, he will be reanimated and take over the world.

Before or after he goes hungry for blood and Elian Gonzalez shoots him?

El Fangel
11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Like Marvel, I doubt they'd have that kind of fun with that series. There's a Phineas/Ferb crossover with Avengers coming so I imagine there will be wild things like that, but not with Square Enix's series.

My only question here, is why wouldn't they? I would pay $60 gladly to beat the crap out of Vader with the Pumpkin King.

Kalyx triaD
11-01-2012, 02:32 AM
I'd pay $100 for Star Wars Battlefront 3, but we already know cool ideas tend to remain imagined.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-01-2012, 02:52 AM
They'd probably have to wait for the 3rd set of movies to have a valid reason for Battlefront 3. Three games for three eras.

El Fangel
11-01-2012, 03:10 AM
I await the day Kalyx reacts to its announcement.

Fignuts
11-01-2012, 05:19 AM
You gotta believe Mark Hamil has been sitting by his phone since yesterday, screaming at anyone else who comes near it to get away because they might be calling soon.

Mark Hamill doesn't strike me as "that guy".

He probably hasn't gotten where he wanted when he originally started acting, but he's hardly some tragic failure.

Carrie Fisher on the other hand...

D Mac
11-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I recon Luke will be heading up a Jedi Academy and some young blood will be introduced.

Isn't there a novel where Luke actually turns dark side?

mitchables
11-01-2012, 07:44 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcstxjt3xM1qc8xtpo1_500.jpg

“Disney buying Lucasfilm and Star Wars, it’s being overlooked that Disney now also owns all the Indiana Jones rights as well” (via The Glory Days (http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2012/10/31/the-glory-days/))

#BROKEN Hasney
11-01-2012, 07:48 AM
“Disney buying Lucasfilm and Star Wars, it’s being overlooked that Disney now also owns all the Indiana Jones rights as well” (via The Glory Days (http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2012/10/31/the-glory-days/))

In the conference call, Disney said, "we didn't ascribe any value to Indiana Jones as part of the valuation of this deal."

YOUR Hero
11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Is it wrong to hope for more Ewoks?
btw

yes

yes it is

Schlomey
11-01-2012, 10:23 AM
wondering if the comics will stay at dark horse...i hope soo

XCaliber
11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
If it's going to be set in the future I wouldn't mind seeing a Kyle Katarn cameo in there somewhere at least have someone from the gaming cannon.

DaveBrawl
11-01-2012, 10:43 AM
btw

yes

yes it is
I was wondering if that was ever going to be acknowledged.

Kane Knight
11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
My only question here, is why wouldn't they? I would pay $60 gladly to beat the crap out of Vader with the Pumpkin King.

Disney Exec: Hey, we've gotta jump on this now, Fallen Angel's gonna buy it!

He probably hasn't gotten where he wanted when he originally started acting, but he's hardly some tragic failure.

Wasn't Mark supposedly done with the series and uninterested in reprising the role in any media?

Mayne I'm wrong here, I don't know.

JimmyMess
11-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Isn't Carrie Fisher a writer or something now?

Lock Jaw
11-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Everyone in the world is suddenly buzzing about Star Wars. This afternoon it was announced that The Walt Disney Company has signed a deal to acquire Lucasfilm, the company founded by George Lucas, and will be moving forward with the Star Wars franchise, planning to release Episode VII in 2015 and more sequels beyond that.

But fans know that Star Wars isn’t the only major franchise held by Lucasfilm – they have the rights to the series of Indiana Jones movies as well. So what’s going to happen with the future of everyone’s favorite professor/adventurer?

For now, the answer is apparently nothing. Following the announcement of the major acquisition executives from the Walt Disney Company held a conference call, and when the subject of Indiana Jones came up Bob Iger said that the character was not factored into the equation during the deal. This is because Paramount Pictures, which distributed the previous movies featuring the character, still has a contract in place. How the situation may change in the future is unknown at this time.

So how did Disney get away with making new Star Wars movies? While 20th Century Fox handled all six previous movies in that sci-fi universe, apparently they don’t have the rights for any future films, which is what allowed Disney to step in and take the reins of the franchise.

Source: www.cinemablend.com/new/Indiana-Jones-Return-Disney-33838.html

mitchables
11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I know it's really Pirates of the Caribbean-ish(and their whole mutual ripping-off-each-other-in-one-way-or-another relationship) but I'd love to see a Monkey Island movie. CGI animated would be just fine. Don't know that a live-action one would be readily discernable from the Pirates franchise. But shit, if they could get the games' voice cast (British Elaine thx), I would squeal like a child.

Also Sam & Max. That could be amazing. Though I don't know if Telltale actually "owns" the rights to those LucasArts franchises now or if they just develop the games for LucasArts.

Tom Guycott
11-02-2012, 12:30 AM
In the conference call, Disney said, "we didn't ascribe any value to Indiana Jones as part of the valuation of this deal."

... for now. I can just see it:

Disney: See too it the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises get marketed right away. Paramount, we will be aquiring the distribution rights for the "Raiders" properties.

Paramount: You said we'd sit on the rights until the contract expired!

Disney: We are altering the deal. Pray we don't alter it any further.

Kalyx triaD
11-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Clones Wars is indeed going to Disney XD.

Lock Jaw
11-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I have only watched maybe the first two episodes of that show.

Kalyx triaD
11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
It's a great show.

El Fangel
11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Perhaps I assumed wrong in thinking the clone wars was as terribad as Attack of the Clones. Mayhaps I will try it out.

Kalyx triaD
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
This cartoon shits on the prequel movies.

Tom Guycott
11-03-2012, 12:35 AM
This cartoon shits on the prequel movies.

Truer words have never been uttered in this thread. :y:

Fignuts
11-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Yep.

Clone Wars is the shit.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I've not seen the cartoons before actually even though I've meant to for a long time, and I've been thinking I'm gonna go through the films again in the near future, so I'll watch the cartoons too.

I asked here in the past at some point but I've forgotten so I'll ask again... what order do they fit in? I seem to remember that there's "Clone Wars" and also "The Clone Wars". Are they completely seperate series'? They both fit between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith right?

Fignuts
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Between "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith"

Corporate CockSnogger
11-03-2012, 12:20 PM
What's the order of the two seperate series and also the animated film though?

Fignuts
11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah there was a clone wars series way back when episode 2 got rerleased. They were just a bunch of cartoon shorts, as opposed to the ongoing CG series we have now.Both are awesome and worth checking out.

The last episode of the cartoon shorts also leads directly into episode 3. They're all made by the guy who does the Samurai Jack cartoons, and have the same art and feel.

Fignuts
11-03-2012, 12:22 PM
The two series aren't connected at all. They were made years apart.

Fignuts
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
The film is the start of the tv series.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Episode VII will be written by the guy who did Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/11/little-miss-sunshine-screenwriter-gets-nod-for-star-wars-episode-vii/

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Hope the movie is awesome. Although the over-hype of Phantom Menace made an epic let-down.

Don't want them to over-hype this.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Of course it will be overhyped. Even if it is the best film ever made, it will be hyped as being better as it will get people buying tickets.

DLVH84
11-12-2012, 03:12 PM
George Lucas sold his soul to a company full of closet Nazis.

Case in point...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YAcIzPmOhBQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corporate CockSnogger
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh good. This thread was really lacking some groundbreaking humour.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Daily Express is reporting that Darth Vader will be resurrected for the films.

Well, the hope of it being good lasted over 12 hours. Not bad.

Kalyx triaD
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Bah. Keep him dead.

Kalyx triaD
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Unless of course...

McLegend
11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I was going to ask if Episodes 1-3 actors could possibly make an appearance in 7-9?

XCaliber
11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Nah they shouldn't have Vader come back unless they cloned him and as he grows up prevent him from drifting over to the dark side again to help against a new threat which may have also somehow was reincarnated like Revan?

Fignuts
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Is this Daily Express in any way reliable?

Fignuts
11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Nah they shouldn't have Vader come back unless they cloned him and as he grows up prevent him from drifting over to the dark side again to help against a new threat which may have also somehow was reincarnated like Revan?

EU stuff isn't happening dude. Only things from outside the films that might show up are clone wars stuff, since it's canon, and MAYBE Shadows of the Empire characters, since it was intended to be a part of the original trilogy.

Skippord
11-12-2012, 08:15 PM
they should resurrect Darth Maul instead

Darth Maul for world champion

Lock Jaw
11-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Darth Maul in a Darth Vader suit. Luke will be all "what", and unmask New Vader to reveal Old Maul and then he will be all "WHAT?!"

mitchables
11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Dash Rendar 4 Ep VII

Fignuts
11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Maul could actually happen since he came back in clone wars.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-13-2012, 12:57 AM

The Expanded universe had a shitton of Papaltine clones.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I wonder if they will Ewan McGreggor Obi-Won's ghost.

Luke: Who the fuck are you?

ObiWon: I'm a younger ghost of Obi-Won. Deal with it.

Will this de-canonize the Expanded Universe?

Fignuts
11-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Expanded Universe was never canon to begin with.

Prequels contradicted a bunch of EU stuff.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Most of it is considered canon by LucasFilms.

Kalyx triaD
11-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Lucas himself can give a fuck.

Fignuts
11-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Most of it is considered canon by LucasFilms.

That doesn't mean anything though. If they want to kill off Luke, and make hundreds of EU stories irrelevant, then they will.

Lucas has said he considers it a seperate world.

There might be a small cameo as an easter egg, ala Aayla Secura, but I wouldn't count on anything EU being a major character, or central to the plot.

Kane Knight
11-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Daily Express is bullshit, though. I wouldn't let that drag you down.

Lock Jaw
01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Zack Snyder might not be directing one of the episodes in the new Star Wars trilogy, but he still appears to be working on something for the Disney-owned franchise. A new report contends the Man of Steel director will helm a Star Wars spinoff, likely one of the films that Laurence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on.

According to Vulture, the movie “will not be considered part of the ‘numbered’ episodes, but rather a stand-alone film set sometime post–Episode VI events.” The project reportedly will be loosely based on Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai.

There’s no word yet on an anticipated timeline. However, Disney CEO Bob Iger had said fans can expect a Star Wars feature film “every two or three years” after Star Wars: Episode VII debuts in 2015, so it could be that some of those projects will be spinoffs while others will be numbered sequels. A Lucasfilm representative declined to comment on the Vulture piece.

When he was asked in November about directing Star Wars: Episode VII, Snyder told the Los Angeles Times he had no interest in touching the franchise.

“I don’t think I’d be interested in [directing it],” he said. “I’m a huge Star Wars fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It’s a whole other mythological experiment I’m excited to see, but it’s a lot of effort.”

Kalyx triaD
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Hmm...

Blitz
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey Folks, Harry here... Contrary to the story Quint wrote below - Zack Snyder has come out DENYING any involvement in this. His press person told HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:

"While he is super flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia.”

SO There ya go...

Kalyx triaD
01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Hmm...

DaveBrawl
01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
A new 300 movie? Sweet.

whiteyford
01-15-2013, 09:48 AM
It's a prequel.

DaveBrawl
01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Even better. I can remember why I used to respect Gerard Butler.

whiteyford
01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
It's to do with the rise of the Persians apparently, not sure if there's any Spartans in it.

VSG
01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Kneel before Xerxes then?

whiteyford
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
It's his rise to power from what I read.

DaveBrawl
01-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Well my excitement is slipping away by the second now. :(

Kalyx triaD
01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Very good chance J.J. Abrams locked down the director's chair for Episode VII. Kinda funny really.

RoXer
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Was just gunna post this. Don't we have a Star Wars thread?

JimmyMess
01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
JJ Abrams..... May The Force Live Long and Prosper

Kalyx triaD
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Was just gunna post this. Don't we have a Star Wars thread?

A 300yo one, I think.

Kalyx triaD
01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110264&highlight=star+wars

Fignuts
01-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I dunno. I liked Star Trek, but I haven't cared for everything else he's done.

Kalyx triaD
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
His style would fit Star Wars, I think.

Lock Jaw
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
As long as I can sit through a lightsaber battle without getting blinded by LENS FLARES.

Kalyx triaD
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Lens flares is almost certainly gonna be most of the movie, especially since there will be lightsabers.

Corporate CockSnogger
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
So apparently in between the episodic movies, there's going to be a film about a pre-New Hope Han Solo and one about Boba Fett.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Hopefully they read over the Han Solo books already written for pointers.

VSG
02-07-2013, 07:49 AM
How about a pre-Phantom Menace about Darth Maul then?

Kalyx triaD
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Nah. Rather see a young Palpatine in Sith training.

Corporate CockSnogger
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I can see it now. Darth Plagueis finds a 10 year old Palpatine working as a slave on a distant planet, where he dreams of being important and spends his free time pod racing.

The Rogerer
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Well, the hope of it being good lasted over 12 hours. Not bad.I think they meant Princess Diana

Blitz
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Chiwetel Ejiofor simply must be young Lando Calrissian. No argument.

Fignuts
02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I can see it now. Darth Plagueis finds a 10 year old Palpatine working as a slave on a distant planet, where he dreams of being important and spends his free time pod racing.

Nah they actually made a book about plagueis and palpatine. He wasn't any slave. Really good book too.

YOUR Hero
02-07-2013, 11:58 PM
:|

Skippord
02-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Nah they actually made a book about plagueis and palpatine. He wasn't any slave. Really good book too.
*woosh*

Fignuts
02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
I DIDN'T READ HIS WHOLE POST OKAY?

ANYTHING ELSE YOU PEOPLE WANT TO CRUCIFY ME FOR, YOU FAGGOT CUNT ASSHOLES?

Fignuts
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
GOD

Miotch
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
If you're talking about crucifixion shouldn't it have been "JESUS"?

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Anakin was created by either Plaqueuis or Palpatines midichlorian control powers, so Anakin is Jesus.

Lock Jaw
04-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Dark Horse Comics is going to do an 8-issue miniseries entitled The Star Wars based on an early/rough draft of Star Wars by George Lucas. Featuring "Lazer Swords", Jedi Annikin Starkiller, veteran Jedi General Luke Skywalker, a six-foot tall alien lizard Han Solo, and evil Sith Knights.

Swiss Ultimate
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I...might buy that.

LoDownM
04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Sounds like an April 1st joke to me.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
It's a joke either way, really.