PDA

View Full Version : WCW Nitro was amazing in 1996/1997

Autobahn
11-13-2012, 05:40 AM
I'm revisiting a whole heap of old WCW episodes, and its amazing how good this show was at one stage.

The Sting and nWo angle was phenomenal. The undercard was worth watching. And some of the names that are appearing are funny to look back at (Jim Powers, VM Wallstreet...)

Its amazing too, because the show was arguably PG in itself, yet captivating to watch, which is something lacking from todays product.

Use this thread to post your favourite WCW memory. I'm interested to see what everyone liked the most from that era. I will accept laughable moments like David Arquette as a nomination, whatever, as long as it was your favourite moment.

Also I will rep any post that has Mongo.

Autobahn
11-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Edit: Thanks for moving this moderator. This thread is anything but casual.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-13-2012, 08:27 AM
My favorite WCW moment was the WCW Magazine commercial with Rick Rude saying "HOW DID THEY FIND THAT OUT?!"

2nd place: Disco Inferno winning the TV Championship twice.

Razzamajazz
11-13-2012, 08:44 AM
that one time disco introduced someone as the united states champion of the world

Shisen Kopf
11-13-2012, 08:49 AM
November 3, 1997 - WCW Nitro: El Dandy was in a Lucha Libre Battle Royal which was won by The Giant

Awesome.

whiteyford
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Anything with Raven, even the stuff later on where it turns out he was a spoilt rich kid.

Rhaps
11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Blitzkrieg matches. That guy was awesome.

CSL
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
WCW Nitro was amazing in 1996/1997

no shit

Schlomey
11-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Where does one watch Hesse episodes

James Steele
11-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Raven/DDP
Booker T/Benoit

Mongo and Dusty on commentary.

itsmeJD
11-13-2012, 01:07 PM
I enjoyed the tag team matches between the Steiners, Sting/Luger, Harlem Heat, Road Warriors (briefly), Faces of Fear, Outsiders, etc.

Curd
11-13-2012, 03:50 PM
At the time, I enjoyed the Hogan vs. Sting arc overtaking everything else in WCW as the most important event since the company's founding. It really contributed to the "match of the century" feel. Hogan's bleached white beard and flowing locks made him seem like a heel Thor defending his title against Sting's face Loki in a battle of the ancients. It may have crossed the line when Hogan referred to himself as God, but he looked about as old and strong as a Greek or Norse god.

Arashi Kage
11-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I grew up on WWF, and wasn't really aware of WCW until the Outsiders angle started and WCW started being shown on tv here in Canada. I believe that the first Nitro I ever saw was caught at random while I was flipping channels. I came across seeing when "Razor Ramon" and "Diesel" invaded Nitro, and then outside, Nash caught Rey Mysterio Jr. and threw him like a dart into the side of a trailer. At that time, it was like the most awesome thing I had ever seen in wrestling.

As I started watching WCW and would see that all my favorite WWF wrestlers were there in WCW, I just couldn't believe it. Other than Bret and the Undertaker, there was no one back in WWF who I was interested in watching at the time (there was all these 'new guys' in WWF that I didn't like), so my wrestling fan attention shifted over to WCW.

Lock Jaw
11-14-2012, 01:53 AM
To me, Hogan/Sting is still the biggest match/must see event I have experienced in my life.

Gertner
11-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Hogan vs Andre was pretty big if you're old enough to remember

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-14-2012, 06:08 AM

The WM3 match actually lived up to the hype though. They really shit the bed on that Sting/Hogan match.

Autobahn
11-14-2012, 06:19 AM
DDP/Macho fued now. Great feud. Page selling this like no other. nWo era Savage is underrated - probably my favourite career moment of Savage.

Autobahn
11-14-2012, 06:23 AM
To me, Hogan/Sting is still the biggest match/must see event I have experienced in my life.

Aye, this was such a big deal and I listened to the scrambled PPV as I was so determined to hear the results of this.

Shisen Kopf
11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
August 4th 1997 - Villano IV and V defeated Hector Garza and Lizmark Jr.

Super awesome!

Hanso Amore
11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
At the time, I enjoyed the Hogan vs. Sting arc overtaking everything else in WCW as the most important event since the company's founding. It really contributed to the "match of the century" feel. Hogan's bleached white beard and flowing locks made him seem like a heel Thor defending his title against Sting's face Loki in a battle of the ancients. It may have crossed the line when Hogan referred to himself as God, but he looked about as old and strong as a Greek or Norse god.

How am I the only one to notice this?

WHAT

THE

Fuck?

Jordan
11-14-2012, 09:04 AM
I loved seeing the horsemen with flair, aa, Benoit, malenko and mongo

Shisen Kopf
11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
I loved seeing the horsemen with flair, aa, Benoit, malenko and mongo

The five horsemen ruled!

Schlomey
11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
thanks for answering the important question of where can one find these episodes online....

11-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Any time they ran a lucha libre spotfest during the first hour. The cruiserweight division was awesome. Also, some of the lucha tag matches were absolutely incredible. Juvi/Psychosis/Mysterio/insert other lucha brought the house down on a regular basis.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YLJH9MvpSCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ozo0OHsO9Mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whiteyford
11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
thanks for answering the important question of where can one find these episodes online....

YouTube, piratebay or Kat.ph, downloading every nitro and every ppv from '83

Lock Jaw
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM

I was something like 2.5 years old. So I had other things on my mind at the time.

Curd
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
How am I the only one to notice this?

WHAT

THE

Fuck?

Sting pulled pranks such as appearing in the rafters and sending a "Sting Army" after the nWo. Ergo, Sting was Loki. Roddy Piper had to be Odin, seeing as he was the only one to defeat Hogan cleanly three times during the initial nWo run. Odin is Thor's father and hence would have the power to do such things.

And when he "dies," The Immortal Hulk Hogan shall enter into Valhalla with his fellow greatest warriors! There will be a showdown when the so-called "Ultimate" Warrior shows up!

Heyman
11-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm revisiting a whole heap of old WCW episodes, and its amazing how good this show was at one stage.

Remember.....

It all started with Hogan's heel turn. This, after Hogan had about 8+ solid years as a face.

Completely freshened things up.

Cena = 8+ years as a face.

WWE needs to desperately freshen things up......

Just saying!

FourFifty
11-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I've said, for years, that Mongo has been terrible underrated. While his in ring work was decent, and his mic skills were a little sub par, the fact that WCW put a superbowl winning athlete in the Four Horsemen helped the Four Horsemen show that they personalized excellence.

Kris P Lettus
11-14-2012, 10:57 PM
As soon as Hall and Nash showed up I was like AWWWWWWWWWWW SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT..

Curd
11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
You can never go wrong with an era where every Nitro, Thunder, and PPV was "the greatest night in the history our sport" and where so many sidewalk slams, t-bone suplexes, backleg front kicks, and full-arm-drag-and-twists were performed! :y:

Gertner
11-15-2012, 01:04 AM
I was something like 2.5 years old. So I had other things on my mind at the time.

When I was 2.5 I was breaking down the workrate of Iron Mike Sharpe

Hanso Amore
11-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Remember.....

It all started with Hogan's heel turn. This, after Hogan had about 8+ solid years as a face.

Completely freshened things up.

Cena = 8+ years as a face.

WWE needs to desperately freshen things up......

Just saying!

in 1996 Hogan was on year 3 of being a face in WCW and year 12 in his career.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Im watching WCW in its decline and crash and burn right now

http://www.blogtv.com/people/alwaysrocking7

MoFo
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Was all good before every episode became the nWo beating down jobbers every match.

Autobahn
11-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Regal was ridiculously underrated as a heel in the undercard. Every promo he has made has been amazing.

Mongo is also the only man to have a superbowl ring and have sex with Steve Austin's former wife.

Autobahn
11-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Amazing Nash/Syxx promo on Flair and Piper:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a6AGLcHthEQ?list=PLTjevsyhhSPhhWPoZuO5v5gYkxrceuRKB&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also so sick of Lee Marshall and his bad weasel jokes. Thank goodness for Scotty Riggs (still with American Males theme post Bagwell)

drave
11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Regal was ridiculously underrated as a heel in the undercard. Every promo he has made has been amazing.

Mongo is also the only man to have a superbowl ring and have sex with Steve Austin's former wife.

Regal is STILL underrated :( Too bad he is past a point where he will get credible TV exposure and have a decent run. I still believe he can out wrestle anyone in the locker room today.

James Steele
11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Regal is STILL underrated :( Too bad he is past a point where he will get credible TV exposure and have a decent run. I still believe he can out wrestle anyone in the locker room today.

It appeared he was going to get a massive push until he fucked up and got his 2nd strike. No sympathy.

Heyman
11-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Regal as King of the ring champ and evil commissioner was tremendous. He did an excellent job and I've always greatly enjoyed Regal's work.

Surprisingly, I also think he cut one of the best face promo's of all-time as well.

It was the time when Regal stuck up for Eugene and called out Triple H. Very emotion-filled tremendous promo towards HHH.

drave
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh yea. And I know I have mentioned this previously, but his book is one of the best wrestler books out there. Highly recommend picking it up.

Heyman
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
In the future,I'm wondering if it would be in the WWE's best interests to have a European stable of sorts?

-Sheamus, Barret, and McIntyre with Regal as their manager. It could be a cross between the Hart Foundation and Evolution. A stable like this would obviously be huge in Europe (as was the Hart Foundation in Canada).

drave
11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
OOh! And have them all go heel and be "THE AXIS OF EEEEVVVVVV-ILL"

With emphasis on the ILL bit.

BOOK IT!

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Regal as King of the ring champ and evil commissioner was tremendous. He did an excellent job and I've always greatly enjoyed Regal's work.

Surprisingly, I also think he cut one of the best face promo's of all-time as well.

It was the time when Regal stuck up for Eugene and called out Triple H. Very emotion-filled tremendous promo towards HHH.

This. Regal made me absolutely mark the fuck out during that promo. And I wasn't even a Regal "fan" at the time. I remember being genuinely upset when Triple H destroyed Regal with the sledgehammer later on in that show. Fuck that was so very good.

Regal did fuck up his own monster push in 2008, though. I was certain Triple H was about to drop the WWE Title to Regal.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 06:18 AM
In the future,I'm wondering if it would be in the WWE's best interests to have a European stable of sorts?

-Sheamus, Barret, and McIntyre with Regal as their manager. It could be a cross between the Hart Foundation and Evolution. A stable like this would obviously be huge in Europe (as was the Hart Foundation in Canada).

I like the idea of Regal being involved with budding young wrestlers, but I don't necessarily think they should all be European.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 06:25 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lcb8RoxQPD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a fantastic promo. Fantastic.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 06:31 AM
I also remember a promo where Regal was talking to someone (and I think he was a heel at this time), and one of the faces mocked his English accent, and Regal said something like "You're obviously not very bright, sunshine, otherwise you'd know the English are the most barbaric race in human history! And I will tear you limb from bloody limb!"

Or something of the like.

Would love for Regal to help Sheamus win the World Title at Survivor Series and for another "Well, well, well..." promo on a pissed off Big Show on RAW.