PDA

View Full Version : Kofi Johnson

Rollermacka
11-16-2012, 02:00 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VOvlV_-5Fnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's been a steady progression for Kofi Kingston from his ECW days to tag and IC title reigns. Could you see Kofi as a major figure and World Champion for the WWE? I think it would see this happening, I've really enjoyed seeing his recient matches against the Miz. He's well spoken, sells plenty of merchandise, and he's a good size guy, not just a "vanilla midget"... no pun intended :p

#1-norm-fan
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Mic skills. He's lacking in mic skills. I can see him as a future world champion simply because of the guys they've thrown the title on randomly but as a major figure... I don't think it's ever gonna happen. Plus he doesn't really have ideal size for a major star in WWE.

Rollermacka
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Mic skills. He's lacking in mic skills. I can see him as a future world champion simply because of the guys they've thrown the title on randomly but as a major figure... I don't think it's ever gonna happen. Plus he doesn't really have ideal size for a major star in WWE.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C0tnJ3_nTeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not too bad, better than I thought he would be. With more practice he could be a guy like Cena to show up on read carpets carrying the World title or trading jokes on Conan

drave
11-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Major player? No. Top mid-carder? Sure thing.

Right now, I dont really care for him, but he is slowly growing on me week after week. I went from FFx5 on his matches, to watching MOST of the bout.

To touch on what Sasquatch said, I think the size factor will be phased out with the "next generation" of performers. Take Bryan, Ziggles, Punk, Kofi, etc. They aren't the colossal juggernauts of the past, but they are up there. I dont think the size factor will be eliminated from the picture entirely, but they will become more lax on it, if they know what is good for them.

legendkillerRKO
11-16-2012, 03:05 PM
My views on Kofi Kingston- he hasnt done anything to make me care about his character...I want to like himbut he is missing something...

Schlomey
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I think he is super cool outside of the ring like as a person but other than a few bright spots he bores the piss out of me. He seems like a midcarder for life.

#1-norm-fan
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Not too bad, better than I thought he would be. With more practice he could be a guy like Cena to show up on read carpets carrying the World title or trading jokes on Conan

He'll never have nearly the mainstream appeal of a John Cena. He seems likable but he doesn't have Cena's charisma, the look and the "it" factor to put him remotely on that level.

Like drave82 said, his likability and his style make him a guy who could be a great upper mid-carder to represent "what else" is available in wrestling outside of the stuff that is getting mainstream attention but he's not the kind of guy who can represent the company.

Emperor Smeat
11-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm going to say no but he's still high mid-card or IC/US title range quality and the WWE's preferred guy when it comes to wanting a big spot for a ppv done.

Like WWF Fan said, his mic skills are pretty bad in terms of blandness which has hurt him from being able to reach that next level of stardom. Same could be said of his character being a bit too bland for years and hard to evolve unlike someone like a Daniel Bryan and others.

The WWE did have a great chance though to really build him as a main event type star around the time of his feud with Orton but blew that badly considering the real part of their feud was barely a month long and Orton dominated after the initial week.

Tommy Gunn
11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
They made me care about Mark Henry briefly last year for the first time ever, so with the right gimmick and story line they can pretty much make anyone a paper champion.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Do not care about Kofi Kingston in any way other than for the occasional spot in a MitB or Royal Rumble. Same as John Morrison in that respect, although I probably liked Morrison more.

Tom Guycott
11-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I actually like Kofi. In a possibly main event way.

The first problem for him, though, is that this is WWE and he does not have the size of Ahmed, so it's not fucking likely. If they took the approach that they could build ANYONE instead of looking for a hoss first and hoping he has some charisma and maybe a bit of ring skill as well, Kofi could be someone who could step up.

The second problem is that he needs a foil to get him there, and you should know where I'm going with this. Unless they FINALLY push Ziggler to the goddamn moon and put one of the two biggest prizes on the man, there aren't too many "worthwhile" heels to chase. And by "worthwhile", I mean the fact that these two always light it up in a match together. We all know Dolph is the goods, and Kofi could consistently be screwed out of getting his one-on-one title match with him. That can lead to a build of credibility for Kofi leading to an epic PPV series between the two.

But again, not likely. They will most likely START to push him, then spy "something better" and give them the green light instead, and keep Kofi around just because.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 01:15 AM
He could be, but it would take timing, luck and a streak of hot performances where he shows the promise he did during his work with Randy Orton and his recent work with The Miz. There's nothing wrong with Kofi's current position with the company, and there's absolutely no reason to think that he is in any danger of losing his job or anything. He's a great mid-carder and occasional main event filler talent.

In fact, one year, I could see Kofi Kingston being given the Money in the Bank briefcase and either cashing it in successfully and having a short run with the WWE Title or World Heavyweight Title as a bit of a trial, or losing (in a pre-announced match) and using that loss as fuel to potentially build to another title opportunity where he could win the title.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston could trade the World Title between themselves a few times on SmackDown, which would be believable due to the history between the two men. In fact, Ziggler is in a real interesting situation, in that his rise could be used to directly influence Kofi's.

So I think Kofi could very easily be a multi-time World Champion in the WWE. I just don't think he will ever be the guy the company hangs its hat on.

Tom Guycott
11-17-2012, 02:28 AM
It's not that he's in any danger of losing his job. It's the fact that, at any time, the Main Event scene could use a new face from a loss due to Wellness Policy violation, injury, or a combination of the two. Hell, maybe someone might "lose their smile" and leave a big gap. Kofi could be a guy primed to fill that gap, given the opportunity and build. As long as they don't sling his ass in to the lions immediately. People wouldn't handle that too well. He has to be made to look like he belongs.

With that, I agree with Noid that he wouldn't be "the man" like Cena or Austin, or Hogan, but he wouldn't do the Heavyweight Championshipe scene any injustices.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 06:04 AM
In my head I've just seen a scenario play out where Kofi Kingston manages to upset Dolph Ziggler for the World Title on an episode of SmackDown. The following week, an irate Dolph Ziggler wins the title back. The next week, Kofi looks like he is going to win it back from Ziggler, when Dolph gets himself purposely DQ'd. This leads to a Cage Match between the two at the next PPV, where Kofi manages to win the title for a second time.

It's a lot of back and forth, but that rarely happens these days. It could be an interesting development in the rivalry between the two men.

Shadrick
11-17-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm the biggest Kofi mark on the board, I believe.

He's got it all. Just needs a chance to craft a few of the skills to the next level. Ziggler couldn't talk worth a damn before Zacks show, now I look forward to his promos and backstage fodder.

Kofi will be WWE Champion before his career is over. Book it.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-17-2012, 06:11 AM
The first problem for him, though, is that this is WWE and he does not have the size of Ahmed, so it's not fucking likely. If they took the approach that they could build ANYONE instead of looking for a hoss first and hoping he has some charisma and maybe a bit of ring skill as well, Kofi could be someone who could step up.

CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Edge, Christian, RVD, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart.

Mr. Nerfect
11-17-2012, 06:39 AM
I honestly like Kofi's dark side that comes out time-to-time, and that he doesn't have that side of him out every week. It gives it a purpose when it comes out.

With the rumours that Triple H is trying to lure Sting into the WWE, it got me thinking about what plans were for Sting when he arrived. Obviously a match with The Undertaker is first, and obviously they would want to keep The Undertaker's streak alive. I figured that they could have Triple H cost Sting the match to protect the streak from a "business standpoint." Triple H could then put over Sting in some grudge matches, which I'm sure would also do huge business. But then what?

Sting and Kofi Kingston would actually make a pretty interesting tandem. Sting could even drop hints that Kofi reminds him of himself, given that Sting was once a guy with so much positive energy -- until the New World Order unleashed the demon within. I also think the WWE should give Sting the WWE Championship, just for the surreal moment where Sting is actually the champion of the WWE. You'd then have a heel force (ideally Brock Lesnar) challenge Sting, and take the title from him, and perhaps go "too far" hurting Sting. The heel would be bragging about it when the lights suddenly go off and then when they come on, Kofi is in the ring with a baseball bat (perhaps in African war-paint in a personalised tribute to Sting).

Lesnar vs. Kofi Kingston, now finding peace with his dark side (perhaps even naming it, although that could get a bit corny). Now there's an interesting main event. Paul Heyman could just laugh at Kofi -- "How do you plan on beating Brock Lesnar in a fair fight?" and Kofi replying "It's not going to be a fair fight." The next few weeks see Kofi attacking Lesnar from weird angles and injuring his leg with the baseball bat heading into their championship match.

Could completely turn the idea we have of Kofi Kingston on its head.

You'd change his theme music, his ring gear, and maybe even give him some leg-based submission hold to "torture" those who deserve it. The happy-go-lucky Kofi would be a thing of the past, and allow Kingston to evolve into a more "heavy" main event presence.

Nicky Fives
11-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I'm the biggest Kofi mark on the board, I believe.

He's got it all. Just needs a chance to craft a few of the skills to the next level. Ziggler couldn't talk worth a damn before Zacks show, now I look forward to his promos and backstage fodder.

Kofi will be WWE Champion before his career is over. Book it.

Ziggler could always talk, just no one knew about it.....

Tommy Gunn
11-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Kofi needs new tights and new theme music, that's pretty much it, right now he's too much of a cartoon character.

#1-norm-fan
11-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Yeah. It's not that he just learned how to cut a promo out of the blue. He just never got the chance. He never "couldn't talk worth a damn".

XCaliber
11-17-2012, 06:28 PM
They've been comparing him with the likes of Shawn Michaels at least when it comes to in ring performance if only they could allow him to develop some "attitude" of his own would be the right way to go.

#1-norm-fan
11-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Whoever "they" are really need to watch some more Shawn Michaels matches...

Rollermacka
11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Kofi needs new tights and new theme music, that's pretty much it, right now he's too much of a cartoon character.

I think that his gimmick/ style is one of the things that could make him a main eventer. The charicature face on his gear, the big smile, the overall family friendily gimmick is what makes him popular with the young WWE fans. I think that if he was to become more of a tweener wrestler that would hurt his fanbase.

#1-norm-fan
11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I think that his gimmick/ style is one of the things that could make him a main eventer. The charicature face on his gear, the big smile, the overall family friendily gimmick is what makes him popular with the young WWE fans.

Brodus Clay and Santino have more appeal to young fans. That hasn't/probably won't make either of them main eventers either.

GD
11-18-2012, 12:35 AM
He's no Booker-T...BOOKER-TEEEEEE!

Shisen Kopf
11-18-2012, 12:38 AM
I like Kofi, he is just lacking something that puts him in with the world champ caliber rasslers though. I wish I knew what it was????

GD
11-18-2012, 12:42 AM
I once had a dream that I was watching Wrestlemania with my good friend Mike the Metal Ed and the main event featured John Cena (c) versus Kofi Kingston for the WWE Championship. The entire crowd had Kofi's back and everybody was booing Cena. It was like Kofi beating up Orton on that one episode of RAW at MSG.

GD
11-18-2012, 12:45 AM
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6CkR628l4Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tom Guycott
11-18-2012, 02:53 AM
CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Edge, Christian, RVD, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart.

I see what you're getting at, but some of these guys aren't exactly fair to throw into this argument.

For example, Jeff Hardy. He moved a shit-ton of merch and if pre-teen girls didn't cream themselves when he took his shirt off to jump off of things, he wouldn't even be in the conversation. Miz came sailing in off of being a professional asshole on any reality show he could be on. If Miz were the same guy, but "just some indy wrestler" without past TV exposure, it would have been a harder road for him- that is even if he made it in WWE at all.

Shawn got the push from his connections and associations as much as his looks and ability. If CM Punk didn't come out and do his "Austin 3:16" thing and MAKE THE WWE SEE HOW HOT HE WAS, he likely would have been labeled by the company as a failure. Christian and Rey Rey, unfortunately, got sympathy reigns. ADR isn't all that small. Neither is Angle. If you're talking just height, you may as well add Steiner to the mix. Benoit and Bret weren't really bastions of charisma and got over from being able to go from bell to bell, and luckily were in a position where that was rewarded. How many guys over the years have had the tools of those two, but were relegated to mid-card hell or jobbed out into obscurity though?

The ones here who really defy the odds are Danielson and RVD (and to an extent, Jericho... but there was really nowhere to go but up for him in WWE). But still, we're talking about a business entity that once defined the pushes of Orton and Cena- to top guys right now- as an "experiment". They were sooo unsure about those two. Seems like if Kofi finally did get the nod, he would be viewed in much the same way. And that is sad.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-18-2012, 05:48 AM
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6CkR628l4Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Three years ago.....

Shadrick
11-18-2012, 07:32 AM

I beg to differ, actually. The times that I heard him on the mic BEFORE Ryders show were horrendous, main reason they stuck him with Vickie, aside from the fact that she's a heat machine. If theres a promo that I'm somehow forgetting thats halfway decent BEFORE he got with Vickie, I'll gladly back peddle.

It got to a point where I looked forward to "ASK THE HEEL" more than I did the entire rest of Ryders show. :y: