PDA

View Full Version : Shows That Are/Went Past Their Prime

Next Big Thing
12-26-2012, 08:28 PM
I signed up for a Netflix free trial and went on a South Park binge since I don't really watch t.v. at regular intervals like normal people. The one thing I took from it was that they probably should have stopped two seasons ago. The clever satire is gone and it seems like they're trying to hard to be edgy.

I've heard people make similar comments about the Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad.

So I wonder, what shows do you guys think should probably be put down or went on for too long?

MoFo
12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
As much as I loved Entourage it started to become "samey" after like 3 seasons.

Ari was the best part of the show and even his quips got progressively lamer.

Lock Jaw
12-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Probably should have just ended The Office with Michael Scott leaving

The Condor
12-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Family Guy for almost a half decade. Haven't watched it in a while but when I do it just isn't that funny. Seasons before its cancellation were much different, and seemingly more entertaining for me.

Razzamajazz
12-26-2012, 11:32 PM
the simpsons was the first that came to mind

Pintint
12-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Family Guy for almost a half decade. Haven't watched it in a while but when I do it just isn't that funny. Seasons before its cancellation were much different, and seemingly more entertaining for me.

Agree 100%, it just did not feel the same after it returned from hiatus.

Triple Naitch
12-27-2012, 12:23 AM
How I Met Yr. Mother

Frank Drebin
12-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Started talking about south park in another thread. They've been doing it for 50 years and they have other things they want to do, but they have to keep their "day job". NBT is right in that is seems they are just trying to be edgy and goofy now. That short doc they did about making the centipad episode sums it up.

Used to like Entourage but then it got a big d bag following and it followed the same formula. Things get a little worse then they get a lot better.

Haven't seen the latest season but an Office without Michael Scott sounds like shit.

Simpsons should be example #1. I've never seen the movie and I never will. It's all just homer getting hit in the head with things, homer falling through things, jamming a celebrity guest into the episode as themselves. Too many writers, not enough of the original players being involved. Everyone just shows up to collect a check because people see Simpsons and think its funny.

Frank Drebin
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
You know what was the original shark jumper of our time? The Real World. Memba when it really was an experiment to see what happens when you take 7 people from different backgrounds and make them live in a house together?

Somehow it turned into "what happens when we take 7 attractive early to mid 20 somethings, and stick them in a pallacial mansion filled to the brim with booze and a hot tub?"

Frank Drebin
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Cast of the real world today:

1) attractive female blond
2) attractive female brunette
3) attractive male blond
4) attractive male with dark hair.
(One of them is a good time party animal while the other get violent when drunk)
5) black guy
6) gay guy or girl
7) grab bag!!
Another gay guy? Punk rocker? Asian? Gay black guy?

V
12-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Simpsons is the example. Think back to the 90s and how awesome it was, and look at it now, it's destroying its own reputation. It would have the biggest cult following and respect from virtually everybody who knows of it, if it ended at a proper time. That said, I still watch it and love it ><

Scrubs season 9 shouldn't have happened, it would have ended perfectly otherwise.

Don't agree with Family Guy, it's still funny/relevant

South Park should have ended around season 10-12, although it still has certain episodes that amaze, it used to be the opposite with only certain episodes not being amazing

Don't agree with How I met your Mother either, it still feels fresh.

Office should have ended with Micheal Scott leaving (they should have done all the 'endings' they are doing for the characters now, back then)

the last 2 - 3 seasons of Malcolm in the Middle were awful

Have to see the second half of Season 5 to make a judgement on Breaking Bad, but the first half of season 5 sucks so much compared to the rest of the series that I almost think they should have made Season 4 the conclusion.

Bad News Gertner
12-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Probably should have just ended The Office with Michael Scott leaving

I still watch it from time to time and think it's still funny. Not as good as it was, but definitely not terrible.

Bad News Gertner
12-27-2012, 02:10 AM
That 70's show got very bad when Topher Grace left.

Boondock Saint
12-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Have to see the second half of Season 5 to make a judgement on Breaking Bad, but the first half of season 5 sucks so much compared to the rest of the series that I almost think they should have made Season 4 the conclusion.

Seriously? Show is fantastic still. But How I Met Your Mother still feels fresh? The hell?

I agree with you on Family Guy. I enjoy it a lot still and think it's better since it was revived from cancellation. I've gone back and watched the older ones, hell they're the only episodes I own on DVD, and they're actually kind of brutal to watch.

Lock Jaw
12-27-2012, 03:10 AM
I still watch it from time to time and think it's still funny. Not as good as it was, but definitely not terrible.

I don't think it is terrible either... but it feels like it is missing something. Plus if they were just gonna end the show in two seasons anyways, might have just ended it back then.

V
12-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Seriously? Show is fantastic still. But How I Met Your Mother still feels fresh? The hell?

The things is, I'm comparing Breaking Bad to itself. Season 4 was almost the best season of any TV show ever, and season 5 has been a joke in comparison. I just really think they could do better. Maybe they set the bar too high. I also probably would not be saying this had I not already known Season 5 was the last season. It should go past season 5 or end at season 4 is what I meant really.

How I met your mother is clearly working towards a set conclusion and I like that.

The Destroyer
12-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Simpsons is the example. Think back to the 90s and how awesome it was, and look at it now, it's destroying its own reputation. It would have the biggest cult following and respect from virtually everybody who knows of it, if it ended at a proper time. That said, I still watch it and love it ><
Yeah, really. Could have ended it over a decade ago and it would have gone out with a great reputation for quality.

Shisen Kopf
12-27-2012, 03:52 AM
The News. Used to be good but after 9/11 it got worse. If I had to pin point the moment when "the news" jumped the shark: October 5, 2001

Corporate CockSnogger
12-27-2012, 06:02 AM
How I Met Your Mother is still going? Those kids must be so bored of listening to their dad talk about random girls he banged before meeting their mother.

whiteyford
12-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Season 8.

Still enjoy South Park though, Family Guy/American Dad has always been kinda meh though, gotta be in the mood for it and Damn Inator randomly replying to threads with shitty Family Guy vids doesn't help the cause.

V
12-27-2012, 06:27 AM
the thing about HIMYM is that most of his stories (seem to) have something to do with how he met their mom. I mean it does go off on random tangents but I'd say at least 60-70% of what he talks about is relevant to the main story. But yes it's silly that he's telling his kids stories of girls he banged, no kid wants to know about that

Corporate CockSnogger
12-27-2012, 06:38 AM
What if it turns out he's actually gay with Neil Patrick Harris and they used Alison Hannigan as a surrogate mother and all of it ends in one big swerve where Jason Segel saves the day?

Corporate CockSnogger
12-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Although I guess the show would've ended after episode 1.

Corporate CockSnogger
12-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Also not really sure what Jason Segel is saving the day from, but any time Jason Segel is made to look good is a tally in the plus column for any show/movie.

ClockShot
12-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Even though it got cancelled, Terminator: TSCC was a good one. Got boring quick during the 2nd season, then it got interesting right at the end. But it was too little, too late. Ratings did the damage.

Raven Reaper
12-27-2012, 07:45 AM
TSCC is the underrated show on this one. Sure, it had bad episodes in season 2 but still, Summer Glau outshines every human cast there is.. Even though Lena plays a good Sarah Connor herself.

Shows that went past their prime:

Jersey Shore
Honey Boo Boo
Survivor
Big Bang Theory
Glee

Need I add more?

El Fangel
12-27-2012, 07:46 AM
the simpsons was the first that came to mind

While it isn't as bad as people say in my opinion, it isn't season 1-10 good either.

Think of it as today in WWE versus attitude era.

Innovator
12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Simpsons easily, once they turned Homer into Peter Griffin

Next Big Thing
12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Can't believe I forgot the Office. The episodes from the past two seasons have really been hit or miss in my opinion and I agree that they probably would have been better off ending it after Michael Scott left.

Bad News Gertner
12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
TSCC is the underrated show on this one. Sure, it had bad episodes in season 2 but still, Summer Glau outshines every human cast there is.. Even though Lena plays a good Sarah Connor herself.

Jersey Shore
Honey Boo Boo
Survivor
Big Bang Theory
Glee

Need I add more?

Honey Boo Boo is fucking amazing. Jersey Shore sucked because they finally grew up in the final season

Ruien
12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Two and a Half Men.

The Condor
12-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Two and a Half Men.

It was very repetitive and losing steam after about 4 seasons, but Sheen was always money on the show. My co-worker told me to watch the new eps with Kutcher and they are just about vomit inducing in their wretchedness. Never should have continued without Sheen. Just awful.

El Fangel
12-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Supernatural.

Season 6 and 7 are trash.

Chavo Classic
12-28-2012, 07:34 AM
House.

Cool King
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
The Simpsons was the first thing that came to mind.

I've said it alot here on TPWW, so I'll just quote myself to save time.

....some newer episodes are good, but not fantastic. I can watch some newer episodes once, maybe twice before getting sick of it and not finding it funny anymore, unlike older ones where I can watch them countless amounts of times and still find myself laughing at the jokes, but this isn't a rant, even though it reads like it, but just my thoughts.

What annoys me about the newer episodes is the fact that almost every episode has a "Special Guest" now. Rarely do I come across a newer episode without a "Celebrity" appearance. :-\ The majority of the time, it's someone who's only seen as a celebrity in Canada, America and maybe even Mexico, so I'm totally lost as to who it is. Also, there was a period that the majority of the newer episodes were dealing with "real life issues", such as Springfield legalising Gay Marriages or Bart becoming another statistic of Childhood Obesity and so on. It's all well and good that the writers are raising the issue, but I watch The Simpsons to have a laugh, not to re-watch the news, if you know what I mean. :-\

Also, to me, the jokes aren't as funny as they once were and sometimes it seems like they're trying too hard, and they have an entire city of characters at their disposal to create stories about, but instead, they only ever really work around The Simpsons Family, Mr. Burns, Moe, Apu, Principle Skinner, Ned and "Celebrity Character". I would love to see some episodes about Jasper, or just Lenny or Mayor Quimby, Dolph or even Herman. While on the subject of characters, the staff have seem to have dramatically changed the characters from what they were originally.

For example, Homer these days isn't just a slow, family loving man. In the newer episodes, he comes across as being a bit of dick towards his family and very selfish. Bart has went from being a "cool rebel" who was constantly a pain in the ass for everyone, to a innocent little kid who doesn't really cause trouble. In previous episodes, he's owned weapons, offered to take up smoking, drank alcohol and hijacked a tank and driven it around Springfield, but in later episodes he's a completely innocent child who doesn't even know about sex and thinks girls have "Cooties" and is very good friends with Ralph, and we all know what Ralph is like. Along with Mr. Burns changing from a heartless tyrant to what can be seen as being a good friend of The Simpsons family, Moe changing from constantly angry to constantly depressed and suicidal and others, it just irks me sometimes. :-\

And lastly, at this stage, The Simpsons have pretty much covered everything....

Personally, I think The Simpsons has ran it's course and it really should have ended years ago now. I've not really been a fan of the show for a while now and my liking of the show really started to go when I watched the episode "Barting Over" back when it was a new episode.

The scene where Homer and Tony Hawk fight in the air on their skateboards made me think "this is stupid" for the first time about The Simpsons....

....It seems like with the newer episodes the writers are just trying to cram as many "celebrities" into the shows history as they can, that is seems like instead of the original process of writing episodes and thinking of a celebrity who could appear in the episode, they do it the other way around and think of a celebrity to appear in the show and then write a story around them.

Classic Simpsons I'll watch, but the newer episodes just make me cringe and are awkward to watch and just generally don't make me laugh like the older episodes do.

I agree with V on Scrubs, Family Guy and a little bit on South Park.

Scrubs Season 9 shouldn't have happened. I tried watching it but it was just terrible. It wasn't Scrubs. It also took away everything from "My Finale". You watched "My Finale" and it was a great way to say goodbye to the series. But all that got thrown out the window when Season 9 was made.

Family Guy, I still find very enjoyable. I enjoy it much more than American Dad!, even though pretty much everyone I come across thinks American Dad! is the superior series.

South Park, I still really enjoy but there are times where an episode just isn't funny or it feels like it's dragging on a bit or more could have been done. A great example is the episode "W.T.F", where the kids start up a wrestling promotion after going to a Raw event.

The episode was good and I had a laugh at it, but at time, it felt like it dragged on a bit without anything funny going on. Such as the scenes where Vince McMahon is watching the kids' "wrestling" show. More wrestling related jokes could have been put into the episode but you just got your usual "Wrestling is fake", "It's acting", "Fans are Rednecks", "Amateur Wrestling looks gay" jokes, which were good, but it was nothing original. :-\

Also, I thought that South Park would have taken a shot at Professional Wrestling a long time ago, instead, they decided to do it in 2009.

Kane Knight
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
House.

House definitely went downhill a long time ago.

Corporate CockSnogger
12-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Prison Break had a great first season and the rest was quite underwhelming (season 2 wasn't terrible though, just not up to the standards of season 1. 3 and 4 were awful.). Might've worked better as one or two shorter seasons with it ending when they actually got out of prison.

Triple Naitch
12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Prison Break was a phenomenal first season but then lost mad steam.

As much as I love 24, the last 2 seasons were kinda shite. Except for Tony Almeda. And after Edgar died I couldn't watch it the same way. :'(

Next Big Thing
12-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I can't help but wonder if Community might be on this list after the upcoming season. They lose Harmon, three regular writers and Chevy Chase. I don't expect to see the same quality show.

Lock Jaw
12-28-2012, 05:58 PM
In my opinion it already wasn't the same quality as season 1 and 2.

Bo
12-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Simpsons easily, once they turned Homer into Peter Griffin

Yep . Simpson should have ended 10 years ago.

Kane Knight
12-30-2012, 12:51 AM

Jersey Shore
Honey Boo Boo
Survivor
Big Bang Theory
Glee

Need I add more?

I'm not sure any of these had a prime, but Glee? Glee?

Actually, the others may be worse examples, but Glee's the only one I've ever watched any of. I'm having trouble picturing it having a prime.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-30-2012, 01:43 AM
How I Met Yr. Mother

Liar! Last week's two-parter was awesome.

toxic rooster
12-30-2012, 02:41 AM
I was under the impression Community was always meant to be a 4-season thing :-/. or maybe I just dreamed that, nobody else ever seems to know about it.

Is Curb Your Enthusiasm still going? That one was old for me after about 3 seasons.

Bobholly138
01-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Sopranos

First 3 seasons were great. But after that it went downhill.

Heroes

Amazing first season,blah second season,horrible third season. Never bothered watching the final season.

Wardy
01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
The Simpsons definitely jumped the shark over a decade ago. I can't bring myself to watch a post season 9-10 episode without cringing and having to turn it off.

HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, 2 & A Half Men... all of these have always been absolute garbage right from the start. I have no idea how a non-retarded, adult male can laugh at such badly written guff.

The Condor
01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, 2 & A Half Men... all of these have always been absolute garbage right from the start. I have no idea how a non-retarded, adult male can laugh at such badly written guff.

Whammy!

Lock Jaw
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
The Simpsons is definitely past its prime but.... I dunno. I don't watch the new episodes very much, but just being in a world without Simpsons would be weird and frightening.

Bad News Gertner
01-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Sopranos

Heroes

Amazing first season,blah second season,horrible third season. Never bothered watching the final season.

Nooooo way, the final season of the Soprano's was amazing

Frank Drebin
01-07-2013, 12:29 AM
I'll throw Twin Peaks out there. Nothing like a show that has such a remarkable first season only to suck so many balls after.

XL
01-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Inclined to say X-Files. Should have called it a day when Duchovny and Anderson did. Then again, Robert Patrick's performances were the saving grace of the last 2 seasons.

Damian Rey
01-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Anyone mention Boy Meets World or Family Matters? Bmw should have ended after they graduated high school and Family Matters never should have been back with, if I recall correctly, a recasted Harriet.

Ruien
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Sopranos

Heroes

Well, the second season was when the writers were on strike. The third was trying, and succeeded, in correcting the problems the second string writers caused in season two. Season four was amazing.

Ruien
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Talking about Heroes of course.

Tommy Gunn
01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
The X Files Season 9 was terrible, Season 8 was quite strong and would have been a good place to end things.

Heroes is the biggest fuck up I've ever seen, season 1 was great and I still can't believe they ruined it so hard. Kill the cheerleader, save the show!

Buffy should have ended at season 5. 6 and 7 had some good episodes but by that point, Angel was the superior show.

I agree with Twin Peaks, I love it, but after the big reveal in the middle of season 2, it just meanders all over the place.

Corporate CockSnogger
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Gotta disagree with Buffy because Season 6 is one of my favourites.

Corporate CockSnogger
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Plus there should always be as much Sarah Michelle Gellar as possible.

Razzamajazz
01-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Supernatural.

Season 6 and 7 are trash.

i had to stop watching it halfway through season 3

DAMN iNATOR
01-12-2013, 01:39 PM
The idiots who said The Big Bang Theory should be taken out to pasture and shot.

Lock Jaw
01-13-2013, 01:47 AM
It was better before they all got girlfriends. Better when they were creepy weirdos who couldn't get chicks.