PDA

View Full Version : Movies/TV shows that gave you nightmares as a kid

Lock Jaw
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
As the title of the thread says... discuss this.

I will start. I can think of a few major ones.

1) <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cP285coEEUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ernest Scared Stupid. That troll gave me nightmares. I think a lot of it had to do with watching it while there was a thunderstorm going on outside... and in the movie when the troll is coming out of its burial site and it is all thunder and lightning, it just happened to be at the exact same time as what was going on outside.

2) Technically I was around 12 when I first saw it... but... it got to me. For whatever reason.

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/7932/324842-der_kindestod_2_large.jpg

This guy. "Der Kindestod" from some random Buffy Season 2 episode. It was the one scene where he just stalks in front of an open doorway or something. Freaked me out. To this day I can't watch this episode and look directly at the screen when I know that part is coming up.

3) <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uo9w3mYI4Pk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This random episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark. Used to watch the show all the time, and was perfectly fine, but then for whatever reason this one got to me. About some old man who every time he goes to sleep, demons come out of the water. Probably not even close to one of the scariest things they had on that show. Dunno.

4) <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YEdZh8a4ZvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was one of my favorite movies growing up... but that clown man... :'(

He'd just show up in other nightmares I'd be having and be all "...run"

Raven Reaper
01-23-2013, 05:30 PM
That creepy intro sequence of Tales from The Darkside series and Fantasia's Chernabog!!!

The Destroyer
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
The weird lizard baby from V always scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

The Condor
01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
When I was just a little guy, the scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Donovan drinks from what he believes is the holy grail scared the shit out of me.

ClockShot
01-23-2013, 06:56 PM
When I was just a little guy, the scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Donovan drinks from what he believes is the holy grail scared the shit out of me.

Pfft. Mola Ram ripping out the beating heart out of the sacrifice THEN sending him into the lava pit THEN the heart exploding in Temple of Doom still scares me and gives me nightmares to this day.

Juan
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Unsolved Mysteries

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_jMOVdBzs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-23-2013, 07:28 PM
There was an episode of "Millennium" were some woman murdered her children with a screwdriver because she saw them as real angels. It kinda creeped me out for quite awhile.

The Condor
01-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Pfft. Mola Ram ripping out the beating heart out of the sacrifice THEN sending him into the lava pit THEN the heart exploding in Temple of Doom still scares me and gives me nightmares to this day.

Very true. Short story: when me and my brother were little my dad would grip his hand over our chest and chant the Mola Ram line (Kaali Mar, if Im not mistaken) and screw with us. Terrifying really for a 4 year old.

Gray
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Jaws
Arachnaphobia
IT

:'(

DaveBrawl
01-23-2013, 08:46 PM
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. Still won't watch it. Pretty sure it killed Rebecca De Mornay's career as it should have.

Emperor Smeat
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Certain episodes from Tales of the Crypt
Unsolved Mysteries
The Pinball episode (I think) from Are You Afraid of the Dark

A bunch of horror films from the 80s and 90s although anything with Freddy, Jason, or Mike Myers usually was at the top.

mitchables
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
unsolved mysteries
it
the dark crystal
the never-ending story

fuck the never-ending story so hard

The Destroyer
01-24-2013, 02:58 AM
I'd forgotten how much I loved the Unsolved Mysteries theme.

Tazz Dan
01-24-2013, 04:05 AM
The only thing that ever got me was the episode of Melrose place where Marcia Cross' character takes her wig off after her accident or whatever happened. Dreamt about that for years, still can't watch that scene to this day.

Fignuts
01-24-2013, 05:02 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l67x5TGxBUA/S8UA9JnmhSI/AAAAAAAAAK0/ZEGGWhOeDq8/s1600/killerklownsfromouterspace.jpg

Skippord
01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Independence Day probably

Raven Reaper
01-25-2013, 06:31 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBdaOK9fDQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This episode was my fave. Still gives me chills to this day.

whiteyford
01-25-2013, 07:34 AM
The weird lizard baby from V always scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

If I was misbehaving my dad would threaten to peel his face off like V:(

Cool King
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Independence Day probably

Yeah, the scene where the alien attacks all the scientist people and then communicates through one of them asking to be released, freaked me out as a kid.

I wouldn't say I got nightmares from these things, but they did really freak me out as a kid.

Super Mario Bros. (Movie): I got freaked out whenever people were turned into Goombas.

The Rugrats (Angelica's Worst Nightmare): In the episode, Angelica's has a nightmare where she has a little brother and that whole scene just freaked me out as a kid. The way the baby looked, talked and just the fact that Angelica was getting chased by him just made it pretty freaky to me as a kid.

Phantoms: I think it was Phantoms, I'm not entirely sure, but maybe it can get cleared up for me here. Anyway, I was at a family friend's house when I was around nine years old or something like that and the family friend's son who was around fifteen, was watching some film.

The scene is a little hazy but I remember there were a bunch of people in some old abandoned Wild West style town at night and they all took refuge in a house. They spoke for a while until some guy with glasses opened the windows to see if it was safe outside. All the other guys told him not to but the guy didn't listen.

The man looked outside and everything was quiet and he said the coast was clear. Then all of a sudden, some giant moth flies into his face and pins him against a wall and scratches/eats the hell out of his face and the man is screaming in pain and the camera shows close-ups of it and everything. The rest of the guys then panic and shoot the moth dead.

That's what I remember and it scared me as a kid. I've never been 100% sure what move that was as I've never came across that scene again. Though I think it might be Phantoms as I saw a poster of it one time and it had a giant moth on it.

Those were the four I remembered instantly. I might remember more later.